Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prescriptions.

Options
  • 02-03-2011 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

F**k me made a visit to the Doctor today as i have not been feeling to well lately.Anyway as expected recieved an Antibiotic plus a cream Prescription from him and he duely charged me €55.
    The shock came in the Chemist when the total for Antibiotic and cream amounted to €100.06..... Now im really sick jesus i wont be getting sick again in a hurry.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

Yep, being sick is hard on the pocket!! And remember you drugs were at a reduced price so I suppose it could have been worse!!
    I have to be dying before I drag myself to a doctor!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

At least if you get sick again this month, or a family member does, you'll only have to pay €20 for their medicine and get the rest of the cost covered as long as you are on the Drugs Payment Scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 pharmacist

What cream was it?
    Most antibiotics are not expensive so I assume it was the cream that made up the bulk of the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Hi Pharmacist
    Yes your right cream was very expensive its called Dovobet still a shock though when heard the price:eek:I dont go the Doctor much so much so that when i went i was actually at wrong building:)he moved two years ago.

The prices of most drugs have come down. for example klacid LA the antibiotic for respiratory infections etc is only €8.26 now.
    Dovobet is very expensive because it has not come off-patent yet. When it does and the drug manufacturers can make a generic version and it will be much cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Are there that many examples of generic topical products out there? The Fucidin range, also by the same company, has never faced generic competition and it's long off patent. Dovonex Cream/ Ointment is on the market since the mid 90s so I'd have thought its patent would have expired by now. Are there any generic Calcipotriol products yet?

I thought all non-generic products were reduced by 40% in January. I know things like Lipitor were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

pharmacist wrote: »
    The prices of most drugs have come down. for example klacid LA the antibiotic for respiratory infections etc is only €8.26 now.
    Dovobet is very expensive because it has not come off-patent yet. When it does and the drug manufacturers can make a generic version and it will be much cheaper.

Got a prescription for klacid la 500mg today €60.98, thats a long way off your €8.26 any idea why?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

macadam wrote: »
    Got a prescription for klacid la 500mg today €60.98, thats a long way off your €8.26 any idea why?

That was a rip off.....

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

What was the name of the pharmacy?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

How many tabs? That sounds like a mistake. I'd check it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

amjon. wrote: »
    What was the name of the pharmacy?

please don't name any pharmacy here.

Is there a big difference in price from chemist to chemist

Nope. Very little difference.

gpf101 wrote: »
    How many tabs? That sounds like a mistake. I'd check it up.

14 tablets one twice a day

thats klacid forte 500mg if you are getting 14 one twice a day but still that is around €12.50 for 14 in most pharmacies.
    The prices have just come down so either the pharmacy has not updated their system or there has been a mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

pharmacist wrote: »
    thats klacid forte 500mg if you are getting 14 one twice a day but still that is around €12.50 for 14 in most pharmacies.
    The prices have just come down so either the pharmacy has not updated their system or there has been a mistake.

Can I just ask, is that €12.50 the retail price, or is that before markup/ dispensing fee etc?

Definitely go back and ask about that price. Not right at all.

€12.50 is the final price after mark up and dispensing fee

The OH went to another chemist this morning and was quoted €11.95 she went back to the chemist where they were purchased asked the manager to check it out and she came back red faced full of apologies €13.95 that was some mistake.
    Thanks again boardsies €47 rescued from greedy chemists..

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

Thanks again boardsies €47 rescued from greedy chemists..

It was a mistake, greed was not involved. No chemist would charge four times the going rate as they would lose to many customers.

• Advertisement

amjon. wrote: »
    It was a mistake, greed was not involved. No chemist would charge four times the going rate as they would lose to many customers.
    How many mistakes can one chemist make, there are only two chemists where I live and this is the 4th or 5th mistake this year with me anyway, letter to the MD of this chain on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭FluffyCat

greedy chemists..

Thats a bit harsh! Mistakes, believe it or not they are only mistakes! Every week when I do my shop I have to return with a list of stuff I was charged incorrectly for! It just a mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dolallyoh

14 tablets one twice a day

8-15 quid sounds right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

As a pharmacist, nothing I like more than screwing people out of their money.:rolleyes:

sounds like an honest mistake. If the pharmacy is a chain like you say then the pharmacist would have nothing to gain by over-charging you.

I'm a pharmacist too and I'd say it's more carelessness than an attampt to screw ya. I don't know of any pharmacists that would blatantly screw a customer like that.

Nice one on getting your money anyway.

As I said this is 4 times I have been overcharged,I spoke to the manager she went back through my purchases and I was overcharged before for these in January but cannot get a refund she is sorting me out with a voucher.
    I only inquired after someone else brought it to my attention regarding this Pharmacy, surely they cant make all these mistakes and not do anything about it.

Sounds very very poor. I have never experienced anything like that and if I was you I'd be annoyed too. I have overcharged people by mistake but maybe only once or twice in 3 years and never the same person 4 times!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Got same antibiotic during the week... so doubled checked receipt €10.95. Got nasonex today €26... quite expensive I thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Ihaveanopinion

the problem here was probably that you got a brand name - 'Klacid' - and not the generic Clarithromycin.

If the trade name is prescribed the Trade name - then the pharmacist can dispense the more expensive preparation. If the generic one is prescribed, then you get the cheapest version.

Make sure your doctor prescribes the generic drug to get the cheapest possible option

Advertisement