Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robocop (Reboot)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I get what most are saying about this but im goina try and be positive. The trailer look ok. Could be interesting. I really didnt like that his visor was up a lot tho. The part in the original when he takes off his visor and you see his big bald head used to freak me out when I was younger. haha also when he got smashed to pieces and left outside the police station! Great movie!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭fluke

I do think there are aspects of the original that should be kept, but I would be more so thinking of the tone of the original, the satirical nature of the movie.

For me, the design of Robocop and ED209 in the original are products of their time - they were how people saw the future then.

Robocop and ED209 in the new one look to be products of our time - how people now would imagine these would be designed and created in the near future.

If a RoboCop was designed in real life now, assuming the technology was capable, which do you think is a more likely design? Old or New?

I kinda see that as a redundant question but to answer (in some way) I think if this was designed in real life now Robocop would probably be in line with the physical limitations of the 80's version, maybe a little faster.

Also following on from that I remember watching the original Robocop and when Murphy was killed it had a real ugliness to it, but within that ugliness there was weight to the movie, along with everything from the mechanics of the movie, the human/ android angle and finally the satirical elements. Nothing in this trailer shows anything of that nature.

This looks just like Total Recall (2012)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,039 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

fluke wrote: »
    Also following on from that I remember watching the original Robocop and when Murphy was killed it had a real ugliness to it, but within that ugliness there was weight to the movie, along with everything from the mechanics of the movie, the human/ android angle and finally the satirical elements. Nothing in this trailer shows anything of that nature.

This looks just like Total Recall (2012)

I agree with this - the movie appears to not have an emotional heft to it, from what the trailer gives us, and that is the problem with the movie for me.

I think it is going to simply be a bad movie - regardless of not being a exact remake of the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Haha the pig squeals were the icing on the cake, they would never put that into a film now. Maybe his programmers put in those animal noises, the other one was a lion roar, for different scenarios and chose the pig squeal as a joke.

The only good thing about this film is that the casting. Gary Oldman, Samuel L Jackson Michael Keaton and Miguel Ferrer are in it, Ferrer was the yuppie dude who went over Dick's head and proposed the Robocop idea to the old man. Another classic scene, him snorting coke off the prostitutes and Boddicker walking in saying 'bitches leave.' Think he improvised that line from listening to Verhoven.

Just saw that the film is going to be...PG 13?!!?!?! It is now going to be sh1t no matter what.

Yeah a PG-13 Robocop just won't work, I'll stick with the original classic methinks, might give the two movies a watch over the weekend. 2 is really silly but has it's moments, the failed Robocop 2 attempts are hilarious, especially the one who pulls it's own head off :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

krudler wrote: »
    Yeah a PG-13 Robocop just won't work, I'll stick with the original classic methinks, might give the two movies a watch over the weekend. 2 is really silly but has it's moments, the failed Robocop 2 attempts are hilarious, especially the one who pulls it's own head off :pac:

Yeah, the head tearing scene was brilliant. Robocop 2 isn't as bad people make it out to be. Cain was a very creepy individual, even moreso when he became robocain, as he was able to act upon his psychopathic tendencies to an even greater degree by being physically all powerful and virtually invincible. That whole shoot out scene in the warehouse and the bit where a monitor comes out and he materialises through the code were creepy moments in the film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Yeah, the head tearing scene was brilliant. Robocop 2 isn't as bad people make it out to be. Cain was a very creepy individual, even moreso when he became robocain, as he was able to act upon his psychopathic tendencies to an even greater degree by being physically all powerful and virtually invincible. That whole shoot out scene in the warehouse and the bit where a monitor comes out and he materialises through the code were creepy moments in the film.

And it had a suit wearing kid blowing people away. Robocop 3 was bloody awful though, flying Robocop my ass.

2 does have probably my favourite moment in the franchise, where Robo and Cain are beating the sh1te out of each other and the OCP president just roars "beeehaaavvee yourselves!" at them, it's brilliant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

conorhal wrote: »
    My biggest problem with the new and improved Robocop is the decision to make Murphy fully aware from the outset of his history and circumstances, thus demolishing the entire premise of the original film, a story about a machine that realizes it’s human, an updated Frankenstein’s monster on a quest for it’s humanity. The film seems to have morphed into just another superhero story, an Iron Man with issues finding the zipper.

I had exactly the same reaction to the trailer. It removes a lot of the pathos from the original story because he's still (mostly) human. That loss of humanity gave Robocop a character arc in the original film as he reclaimed his identity as Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

If Robocop is the 1st version of Dredd on screen, this new one is more like Dredd then the old one.

Looks decent but no need to remake it the old one is still brilliant today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Doesn't look as bad as I thought but it looks like they'd jettisoned any attempt at replicating the original's commentary on society in favor of explosions. I think this could have been a wonderful opportunity to update the themes explored by the original. Instead, we get an Iron Man clone.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I'll go see it but I know it'll be hard to watch without comparing to the original. I liked the first 2 movies but can't remember the third. I also enjoyed the miniseries. The tv series that used to be on Saturday afternoons was crap though.

As for this trailer, I think I read somewhere that the hand is like that so he could shake hands with people and it would be more reassuring to have a human touch or something like that.
    I don't like how the mask flips up and down. And I don't like how the family are still in the picture. The first had him legally dead with no memory of his family until later.
    Also the first movie was more about Murphy and less about OCP. Going by the trailer, there's going to be emphasis placed on both (Or whatever the name is, if not OCP).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I have some concerns about the inescapable limitations a PG-13 rating imposes on a movie called Robocop.

wS8XQcc.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

What annoys me is that they're using the robocop name to sell it, when really it looks like it has a lot more in common with iron man than robocop.

In the original film murphy was brutally tortured and murdered, barely anything left of his body. When they turn him into robocop he's 100% computer, until his interactions with Lewis when he slowly starts to remember bits of his old life. He finds his old house completely empty, his wife and son moved on and he never meets them.

Judging by the trailer he was injured by a car bomb so they put him into a robot suit, he's fully aware of who he is and his wife and son are still around, hanging out with their robot wife/father.

It's hardly the same character at all.

Well the trailer references the fact he's under the illusion of having free will but acting according to how he was programmed to act. Pretty similar to the the original Robocop being a human brain reprogrammed to run a new supercop machine. Robocop was and still seems to be a Biomechanical cop who's human identity clashes with his new programmed directives (and those who done the programming) with chaos ensuing. There was always gonna be a slightly different take on the story I guess but looks to be close enough to the original to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The first 30 seconds of the trailer are extremely promising, but it takes a nosedive from the point where they ditch 'Robocop' in favour of 'Iron Man' and expose the movie unashamedly for what it'll be - a family friendly, cliche ridden sci-fi SFX extravaganza that tries too hard to offend no-one, please everyone, and ends up inadvertently doing the former through sheer banality.

Really disappointed with that trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

Just dont look at it, shut your eyes, just dont look at it no matter what happens...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭rockbeast

2014 release date? Maybe they can to a promotion with WrestleMania?

:D

rockbeast wrote: »
    2014 release date? Maybe they can to a promotion with WrestleMania?

lol the leg piece is nearly falling off at the end. Late 80s/early 90s entertainment is great

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

TBH im looking forward to it.

i dont think you can surpase the first so i dont see the point in trying . i get the feeling from the trailers they kinda inverted things (in the first murphy is all android but regains his humanity, in this it looks like he has his humanity but they take it away ala brainwashing or somesuch later on and he has to overide that)

either way i got a buzz out of seeing updated Ed209s and at the very worst i intend to look at this as "streekhawk" the movie !

i dont think you can surpase the first so i dont see the point in trying . i get the feeling from the trailers they kinda inverted things (in the first murphy is all android but regains his humanity, in this it looks like he has his humanity but they take it away ala brainwashing or somesuch later on and he has to overide that)

either way i got a buzz out of seeing updated Ed209s and at the very worst i intend to look at this as "streekhawk" the movie !

I would love to see a Streethawk movie in 3D. Most watched VHS tape ever in my house.

Gonna find that film now. cheers:)

Can't "find" film...but I found this:p

You are so right

Bet the new soundtrack isn't half as good either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,667 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This thread has inspired me to watch the original again here

Robo is just off on his first patrol and even 35 mins in the film has a lot more character and impact than anything I saw in that Iron Man 3.5 trailer.

There's the news spots, the ads (I still want a 6000 SUX and that Nuke Em game! :p) and the great actors - Ronny Cox, Peter Weller, the Old Man.
    The new version just seems like sanitised generic kid-friendly sci-fi movie #276

Stop messing with the classics - next thing they'll be butchering The Running Man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Can't "find" film...but I found this:p

You are so right

Bet the new soundtrack isn't half as good either!

Actually watched that 2 weeks ago. Loved it but would love a remake. Im looking forward to Robocop. Will never be as good as the original, but it looks decent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm not sure why everyone is so outraged by this - it has been a while since I've seen such an Internet ****storm over a mere trailer! It's hardly like the Robocop series has been the ideal example of smart franchising post-Verhoeven. If final reports confirm the remake is indeed an abomination (as incredibly likely as that outcome is, we're still just working off a trailer) just don't go see it. As long as audiences flock to these cynical remakes - these films are never greenlit with artistic ambition in mind, they're just taking advantage of your nostalgia - they'll keep making them. And yes, the studios cackle with glee as they rake it in time after time. Pay to see it, and you forfeit your right to complain about remakes in future ;)

But the original is still there, and you are not a sheep - if it bothers you so much, simply don't watch it, and there's no benefit getting annoyed about it when there's so many actually good new films out there you could be turning your attention (and money) to instead. Yes, a film that manages the same unPC satirical sharpness as Robocop would be delightful, but Hollywood doesn't work like that any more, and Robocop 2013 does not diminish Robocop 1987. Certainly I'm surprised that after years of grevious brand abuse, many haven't learned to just separate the original from the rest and don't pay any heed to Hollywood studios and their shenanigans.
    Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    even 35 mins in the film has a lot more character and impact than anything I saw in that Iron Man 3.5 trailer.

I'd expect most films, even bad ones, to have more character and impact after 35 minutes than a two minute trailer :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

[...] If final reports confirm the remake is indeed an abomination (as incredibly likely as that outcome is, we're still just working off a trailer) just don't go see it. As long as audiences flock to these cynical remakes - these films are never greenlit with artistic ambition in mind, they're just taking advantage of your nostalgia - they'll keep making them. And yes, the studios cackle with glee as they rake it in time after time. Pay to see it, and you forfeit your right to complain about remakes in future ;)

But the original is still there, and you are not a sheep - if it bothers you so much, simply don't watch it, [...]

To be fair J_U, you're probably preaching to the choir in this environment, given most of us here will likely stay away, as I have myself with most other genre rehashes, if indeed it turns out to be god-awful (though curiosity will always claim the unwary of course).

In my mind it's the casual movie-goer who needs persuading here, not the film obsessives; I've think I've met enough of this class of patron to realise there's a lot of people out there who don't really care about if something's a remake, or treading on nostalgia, and just go to see films because the marketing says they should, they believe implicitly in 'turn your brain off' logic, what star is fronting the picture or indeed because they're more interested in something new & shiny than watching a creaky 'old' movie (depressingly these people exist). Of course I'm not sure how you convince these demographics not to go see the latest remake without resorting to violence and mass druggings :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 jamesflynn21

I'm going to give it a chance,I love Robocop and the trailer seemed pretty good! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I agree with johnny_ultimate. It's only a trailer. Everyone here may be singing a very different tune come release day. I'd encourage people to check out the two Elite Squad films to get a sense of what this director is capable of. He's suffered a lot of studio meddling on this film, so it won't be great regardless, but I still think it could prove to be perfectly watchable and entertaining in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I would love to see a Streethawk movie in 3D. Most watched VHS tape ever in my house.

Gonna find that film now. cheers:)

Movie? it was a tv series unless you mean there was a tv movie of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

the whole point of Robo was that he was a tank with the whole automaton moves but now they have made him into Sonic the Robocop

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

pixelburp wrote: »
    To be fair J_U, you're probably preaching to the choir in this environment, given most of us here will likely stay away, as I have myself with most other genre rehashes, if indeed it turns out to be god-awful (though curiosity will always claim the unwary of course).

I'd hope so, but man I've seen an incredible amount of anger and hostility online about this trailer over the last few days - from boards to facebook and plenty of places in between. I just think the vitriolic reaction over two minutes - edited to appeal to the widest possible demographics - has been quite out of proportion, even more so than usual. And, going by past experience from friends and anonymous strangers alike, you just know a disappointingly large amount will end up seeing it regardless of what the final verdict on its quality is. I'd like to think after years of sub-par remakes we'd all have the ability to filter them out unless, when they're eventually released, consensus suggests they're actually worth a gander. And Robocop, as Sad Prof. points out (and studio interference aside), probably even has a better chance under a pretty good director than Total Recall did under a director as consistently uninspiring as Len Wiseman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,674 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I just watched Dredd (2012) today and frankly thats an example of a reboot that went right. Cult classic in the flesh there. This will probably be no different, though I'd say it will be a bigger commercial success because its ****ing robocop. I liked the trailer, Im not following some of the bickering about the color of his suit or anything like that.

The only thing I nod in agreement on the jezebel article with is that in the original trilogy they made murphy under the helmet seem like a really tragic figure. makeup wise his face was essentially draped over a robot frame and it just looked really spot on, in stark contrast to pretty-boy murphy in this trailer. But ultimately, its a small detail and one Im not going to mull over too much.

RoboCop-Alex-Murphy-Unhelmeted.jpg
    the whole point of Robo was that he was a tank with the whole automaton moves but now they have made him into Sonic the Robocop
    Disagree. I just think audience expectations 30 years ago were fairly different. Or the costume tech might have been a limitation.

edit: from wiki

"It's meant to look very speedy and aerodynamic. All the lines are measured to go on a slant - forward, forward, forward! All the lines were geometric, and complement every shape on the body from all angles. When Verhoeven came on the project he requested numerous design changes, additions to the suit which looked more like machine than man-like. I've never done so many conceptional drawings for a director in my entire life - changing it, and changing it, and changing it!" [14]

However, the design ended up bearing a closer resemblance to Bottin's original design:

"Robocop looks the way he does because that's the way a man's body works! Although we went through fifty different variations, developing his character, everything came back to man-like. It's definitely a guy in the suit, which doesn't belittle it any." [14]

Peter Weller had in the meantime hired Moni Yakim, the head of the Movement Department at Juilliard, to help create an appropriate way for him to move his body while wearing the Robo suit.[15] He and Moni had envisioned Robocop moving like a snake, dancing around and moving very elusively. The suit, however, proved to be too heavy and cumbersome. Instead, at the suggestion of Moni, it was decided that they would slow down RoboCop's movements in order to make them more appealing and plausible. Filming stopped for three days, allowing Peter and Paul Verhoeven to discuss new movements for the suit.
    I dont know what elusive snake is supposed to be but I assume Metal Gear Solid's liquid snake? :pac:

Advertisement