Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robocop (Reboot)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

phil1nj wrote: »
    I've read the book and seen the (loosely based on the book) movie and to be honest apart from the title, there's very little in common between source material and film (planet names and bugs aside). Having said that, when taken on its own merits, the movie is an enjoyable piece of OTT sci-fi fluff that does not need a remake.

Ya, I totally agree with all that. All I'm saying is seeing as the studios are obsessed with remaking films instead of focusing on the thousands of A-grade original novels out there from the last 60/70 years, they could do a lot worse than "re-imagine" something like Starship Troopers considering how divergent and opposite Verhoeven's movie was from the original source material. Ender's Game is a lost cause at this stage and my previously high confidence in Robocop is a little shaken (but no matter what the signs I still don't believe someone of Padilha's quality and talent will produce a bad film) so it'd be nice to have something worthy and credible in big screen proper sci-fi to look forward to besides Elysium.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

Things appear to be going from bad to worse according to this...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Padilha is too good to be making this crap. Another talented filmmaker broken by the Hollywood studio system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

This is going to be a disaster!!
    Jose Padilha's RoboCop remake had seemingly been progressing ultra-smoothly, with one big-name star after another queuing up to join the production. However, according to the director's friend, Fernando Meirelles, things have not been so peachy behind the scenes.

"I talked to José Padilha last week by phone," said Meirelles in an interview with Cinemacom Rapadura. "He will begin filming RoboCop [but] he is saying that it is the worst experience. For every ten ideas he has, nine are cut. Whatever he wants, he has to fight [for]."

"‘This is hell here,’ he told me," says Meirelles. "‘The film will be good, but I never suffered so much and do not want to do it again.’ He is bitter, but he’s a fighter."

None of which sounds terribly promising for a film we had been harbouring fairly high hopes for, not least because of its impressive ensemble cast which includes Joel Kinnaman, Gary Oldman, Samuel L. Jackson, Abbie Cornish, Jay Baruchel and Michael K. Williams.

Obviously we've got to take into account the 'Chinese whispers' element of the report (Meirelles' comments have been translated into English), and will hold back on too much speculation until we get a statement direct from the horse's mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Bad Panda wrote: »
    This is going to be a disaster!!
    Sure if nothing else, there'll be an awesome documentary made about how difficult it was to make.

And I hear Michael Keaton is in line to be the villain now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Yeah looks like Micheal Keaton has replaced Hugh Laurie as the CEO of Omnicorp

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

faceman wrote: »

Good choice, good to see Keaton back in a big budget movie, a very underrated actor IMO.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

faceman wrote: »

I hope they work some TLC lyrics into his dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

1st set pics up
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=94813

I dont like the suit :(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

WTF? I thought that pic of the suit that showed up a while back was fake but it looks like they've actually gone with it?

robocopsetsmall1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

I like it, according to a recent script leak there'll be 4 different versions

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Suit looks awful. Very much a cop out. (no pun intended). Looks like Batman without the cape

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

its almost as though they are deliberately trying to make this as bad as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

The suit looks bland, it's like they're trying to be so subtle as to make realistic? (after post production), or not too excessive. But that's what made the original suit great, it was iconic because it was in your face, this is just a bland melange of TDK, Iron Man and a whole host of other superhero/robot film suits.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be honest I'd forgotten this movie was even in production 'til my Subscriptions list updated; if they're insisting on making this, and it doesn't have the undercurrent of satire just right (if there's any at all), then we can just assume right here it'll be like Total Recall. And from what I've read of the supposed script-leak, that's exactly where it's all headed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

pixelburp wrote: »
    To be honest I'd forgotten this movie was even in production 'til my Subscriptions list updated; if they're insisting on making this, and it doesn't have the undercurrent of satire just right (if there's any at all), then we can just assume right here it'll be like Total Recall. And from what I've read of the supposed script-leak, that's exactly where it's all headed.

total recall was distinctly mediocre but it wasn't actually terrible. this on the other hand sounds absolutely dreadful, like on a whole other level of ****ness. like some sort of elaborate attempt at trolling the movie world. in fact the productions leaks sound so stupid i'm still not sure if i even believe them to be genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I hate the suit myself. However looking back at the original suit, was that any better? Still looked pretty cheap I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I hate the suit myself. However looking back at the original suit, was that any better? Still looked pretty cheap I thought.

I think it was kind of cheap looking due to th effects of the time really. Some sort of update with better materialscould potentially look good. This new one is fairly generic and bland looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,672 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I like it, according to a recent script leak there'll be 4 different versions
    I was going to say it didn't look like the original leak. a few variations on the helmet, shoulders, etc.

Also it could be subject to post-production, like oh I don't know:

iron-man-donut.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Suit looks like the ninja from the Gi joe movies, total ****e. Not looking forward to this, big lover of the old ones though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I wonder if they'll use the old robocop theme, or a new one, maybe a remodified version. Hopefully it's the former because I used to love that song when I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

That suit looks more like Mega Man than Robocop.

I do not like.
    Riddle101 wrote: »
    I wonder if they'll use the old robocop theme, or a new one, maybe a remodified version. Hopefully it's the former because I used to love that song when I was a kid.

I watched Robocop 1 and 2 again lately, and the theme in the first one is as great as I remember it.

Sadly Robocop 2 ditched the Basil Poledouris for a completely bland theme instead. Had it the same music, I would have enjoyed it more.

I didn't re-watch Robocop 3. Watching that once was bad enough. But that had the Robocop 1 theme back i think.

I doubt the new film will use the old themes in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

stick a cape and a bat symbol on it and you could use it for the Batman vs. Superman scene in the The Dark Knight Returns

• Registered Users Posts: 81,672 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    That suit looks more like Mega Man than Robocop.

I do not like.

...What are you trying to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Overheal wrote: »

...What are you trying to say?

You can't say anything these days, you never know who will overhear.:pac:

I was just expecting the new Robocop to look more like Robocop. That said, we can't expect him to look exactly like the old one, but he should resemble that more so than anything else, certainly not your favorite 8 bit avatar anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Phony Scott

Hmmm... the original film is my second favourite film of all time. First off the helmet is the biggest issue for me with this remake. Too plastic looking -- a knock off you'd find in a 2 euro store. Sure, the suit in the original movie looked a little fake too, but at least it had the look of something which was somewhat metallic. Secondly, the rest of the suit has a very generic look, a bit of the dark knight, a bit of GI Joe and so on. That suit looks well worn. It all feels very cheap with no real imagination. In fairness, it's impossible to tell if it works. One of the key things that made Robocop believable in the original film was the all important sound effects. It doesn't look convincing at the moment, but I'll need to hear what the film sounds like before passing a final judgement on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well now, if I were to go all Devil's Advocate, it could be suggested that if you stripped away the wonderful script of the first film, Robocop could be a pretty naff-looking creation; in particular with the purple metallic sheen on the suit, that really dated it.

It's still an iconic design all the same, but are we being completely fair on the new version? If it just copied the original design verbatim we'd be just as annoyed, ditto if it went with an off-the-wall look; either way it's going to be compared against 20-odd years of good will & nostalgia. Plus we're viewing it completely out of context; it may look more impressive on screen & with the post-production finished.

Heck, its generic appearance may even be part of the overall social commentary & undercurrent of satire in the new film; I know I dismissed the movie at the top of this page, but hey, might as well try and keep some semblance of hope going.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

mother of god that looks terrible. it looks like a rubber suit not even metallic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Padilha is too good to be making this crap. Another talented filmmaker broken by the Hollywood studio system.

Amen. Trading a city as remarkable as Rio (favelas and all) for that ****hole was his first mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

1st set pics up
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=94813

I dont like the suit :(

Why is one hand not covered?

Advertisement