Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,228 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

johnnie T2 wrote: »
    yeah was wondering this as my blood hasn't been very high when i've checked it so far so wondering why i'd take blood lowering medication in that case. my medical card hasn't yet arrived anyway.
    that's good to know about the needs id been throwing out the need and strip each time, do you just leave the needle you use in the machine? is it not a risk of infection?

if by needle you mean lancet then you should be using a new lancet each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,552 ✭✭✭✭banie01

yeah was wondering this as my blood hasn't been very high when i've checked it so far so wondering why i'd take blood lowering medication in that case. my medical card hasn't yet arrived anyway.
    that's good to know about the needs id been throwing out the need and strip each time, do you just leave the needle you use in the machine? is it not a risk of infection?

Metformin doesn't actually lower your blood sugar, it improves your insulin response.
    It's a subtle but important difference.

There are medications that lower your BG directly but they are for more extreme use, and if you were on them you would need to inform the NDLS and it would affect your ability to hold certain licenses.

Metformin is a good 1st line treatment.
    Quite often T2 develops from insulin resistance and it's increasing over time.
    Couple up Metformin, with a general reduction in carb intake and your overall number will improve.

On the finger pricker, I'd be one of those who also changes once in a blue moon.
    When I feel it as blunt or have to dial past 4 to get the drop the needle is changed.
    Poor practice of course, but never caused me an issue.

Xofpod wrote: »
    As bad as things can be for diabetic care in Ireland sometimes, just be thankful you don't live in this dystopian hellhole:

(and I'm not talking about Mexico...)

Some of the stories over on r/diabetes regarding insulin and medication costs and the number of people having serious issues due to being unable to afford meds is absolutely shocking.

That the Yanks see socialized healthcare as such a problem is shocking.
    I really hope that the new crop of politicians over there can change that part of their shít system at least.

I am wondering what's really going on!
    really want to start the testosterone treatment as getting that issue sorted is one my main short term worries! so hoping the Endo can help me with that.
    anyway back to try and eat less carbs again after that weekend :D

The Endo is the best person to advise on the necessity of any HRT. They will take a holistic view of your endocrine system.
    You would be surprised at the amount of people who are being treated for Diabetes as a complication of either steroid or hormone use in medical circumstances, or abuse in sporting circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 johnnie T2

banie01 wrote: »
    Metformin doesn't actually lower your blood sugar, it improves your insulin response.
    It's a subtle but important difference.

There are medications that lower your BG directly but they are for more extreme use, and if you were on them you would need to inform the NDLS and it would affect your ability to hold certain licenses.

Metformin is a good 1st line treatment.
    Quite often T2 develops from insulin resistance and it's increasing over time.
    Couple up Metformin, with a general reduction in carb intake and your overall number will improve.

On the finger pricker, I'd be one of those who also changes once in a blue moon.
    When I feel it as blunt or have to dial past 4 to get the drop the needle is changed.
    Poor practice of course, but never caused me an issue.

I am wondering from numbers ive posted so far though is there a need, my reading hasn't been more than 6 despite what I've eaten.

I only have a small sample size thus far though, ill need to get more of the strips only had the ten that came with it. if I get a load of the lancets for free I don't mind changing it each time.

• Advertisement

I am wondering from numbers ive posted so far though is there a need, my reading hasn't been more than 6 despite what I've eaten.

I only have a small sample size thus far though, ill need to get more of the strips only had the ten that came with it. if I get a load of the lancets for free I don't mind changing it each time.

Talk about it with your Endo.
    I consistently test under 7, I'm still diabetic tho.
    It really comes down to when you test.

The finger prick test tells you nothing other than your BG level at the time you tested.
    It's not a diagnostic test.

HbA1c or a Glucose Tolerance test are the diagnostic tests with GAD or other antibody tests after those to specify which type of diabetes it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

somethings not adding up with your hba1c 55
    your posted readings so far don't come anywhere near the above

just an observation from me your doc or endo knows best

still would like to see a confirming hba1c test again maybe talk to your gp again about a retest sooner than 3 months

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Could do a Glucose Tolerance Test handy enough with another box of strips, don't eat overnight and only drink water, tst your bloods after getting up, one hour later. Then drink a large glass of OJ. Test your sugars every 15minutes for 3 hours. Stress and hormones will affect it slightly so do it twice. It is a good indicator of Diabetes, and something you can bring to your GP and say, listen, I done this, I am either not Diabetic or possibly Diabetic.

jimf wrote: »
    somethings not adding up with your hba1c 55
    your posted readings so far don't come anywhere near the above

just an observation from me your doc or endo knows best

still would like to see a confirming hba1c test again maybe talk to your gp again about a retest sooner than 3 months

Today I was still struggling from weekend so had a burrito at lunch and a higher carb day. Tested this evening at 6. Actually the highest reading I’ve had so far was after that steak, eggs nearly zero carb meal last week

The web doctor I spoke to on Friday said to definitely get a second bloods done as it’s a life long diagnosis - she said at 55 thought chances are high I am

Today I was still struggling from weekend so had a burrito at lunch and a higher carb day. Tested this evening at 6. Actually the highest reading I’ve had so far was after that steak, eggs nearly zero carb meal last week

The web doctor I spoke to on Friday said to definitely get a second bloods done as it’s a life long diagnosis - she said at 55 thought chances are high I am

how long after lunch
    did you snack in between
    my last hba1c in june was 47 which means im still classified as prediabetic
    but if eat the wrong food and check my blood 2 hours later it could be 8

I still classify myself as diabetic imho theres no pre you either are or not

still on no meds for the last 13 years so hoping I can stay that way for another while but my doc says I will most likely need tabs in the future

lost 3 stone when told back in 2006 doc says most likely saved my arse for the time been reg meds

3 hours after eating im usually back under 5.5

• Advertisement

just out of interest what are peoples morning fasting levels

mine yoyo from 5.2 to 6.2 which my doc says def prediabetis levels

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That's not yo yoing, they are basically the same when you consider the accuracy of BG monitors and a range of other factors. 5.2 is not prediabetic, 6.2 could be but you really couldn't make that call with a glucometer. HbA1c or a glucose tolerance test.

That's actually very stable.
    You need to factor in that a finger prick has an inherent margin of error of @15% ;)

Mine vary between 6 and 7.5.
    Were previously much higher in the morning, Endo reckons that I have a "leaky liver" and as such my Liver dumps glucose during the night.

When I was taking basal insulin my dosing strategy was if I tested above 7.5 in the morning, my basal dose was increased.
    Under 6.5 and it was reduced.

Currently my morning BG has been running over 7 for the last week, but that is primarily due to my battered endocrine system still recovering from an all inclusive holiday :pac:

CramCycle wrote: »
    That's not yo yoing, they are basically the same when you consider the accuracy of BG monitors and a range of other factors. 5.2 is not prediabetic, 6.2 could be but you really couldn't make that call with a glucometer. HbA1c or a glucose tolerance test.

last hba1c in june was 47

last hba1c in june was 47

Which is also very good, that's what my last one was too.
    My previous was 49 and that was whilst on insulin with control that my Endo said was far too tight...

47 is a very good result for T2.
    Well done!

how long after lunch
    did you snack in between
    my last hba1c in june was 47 which means im still classified as prediabetic
    but if eat the wrong food and check my blood 2 hours later it could be 8

I still classify myself as diabetic imho theres no pre you either are or not

still on no meds for the last 13 years so hoping I can stay that way for another while but my doc says I will most likely need tabs in the future

lost 3 stone when told back in 2006 doc says most likely saved my arse for the time been reg meds

3 hours after eating im usually back under 5.5

I didn't test after the burrito at lunch,
    but in evening I had a chickpea Curry that was 56g carbs and a white fulfil bar that was 11g of carbs and tested one hour after this at 6.
    I did do a spin class in the gym about an hour before this as well so not sure if that impacts on what the food after does to the levels.
    I need to pick up more strips to start doing the morning tests - I think my LTI card is now on way as I received a text about it.

I didn't test after the burrito at lunch,
    but in evening I had a chickpea Curry that was 56g carbs and a white fulfil bar that was 11g of carbs and tested one hour after this at 6.
    I need to pick up more strips to start doing the morning tests - I think my LTI card is now on way as I received a text about it.

Be sure when your LTI book arrives that you get test strips added to it.

Strips run @€;45-55 a box and for T2 unless you are on insulin, there is a monthly limit too.

Which is also very good, that's what my last one was too.
    My previous was 49 and that was whilst on insulin with control that my Endo said was far too tight...

47 is a very good result for T2.
    Well done!

am I correct in thinking if on insulin there afraid you will go too low if your control is too tight

am I correct in thinking if on insulin there afraid you will go too low if your control is too tight

Yep, pretty much.
    The primary worry for insulin dependent diabetics with tight control is hypoglycemia.
    It's important for Insulin Dependant diabetics to be very aware of hypo warning signs and symptoms.

That said, I have been off insulin since March and my range has stayed fairly stable and no more worrying about hypos.

As an insulin dependent diabetic, things like needing to test before you drive and keeping a meter in your car are all little things that can quickly add up to giving a sense of defeat of you let it.

that's great that your off insulin you must be minding yourself well

• Advertisement

that's great that your off insulin you must be minding yourself well

TBH, my control has always been fairly good but I've had some complications that at the time left me feeling quite disheartened.

So I made a choice to give the Newcastle diet a try.
    I posted a log of how it went for me earlier in this thread.
    The 1st few weeks in particular were a slog, but I honestly think the payoff was more than worth it.

I'm back to a "normal" diet now and it's had a big affect on my appetite too.

My main aim was to reduce my insulin need, as my thinking is that if I can support my own beta cells for as long as possible it will save me needing to take additional meds for longer.
    I'm still on oral meds, but my HbA1c over the course of the diet and 1st 2months since finishing it improved from a 49 in Oct 2018 to a 47 in May 2019.
    Also coincidentally dropped 13kg as a little bonus.

If and when I need insulin, of course I will take it ;) but a lot of Diabetes impact is worsened by lifestyle choices so I decided to be a guinea pig and follow the NHS advice and see if I improved.

Happy to report I did, and it gave me a real sense of both control over the disease and achievement.

TBH, my control has always been fairly good but I've had some complications that at the time left me feeling quite disheartened.

So I made a choice to give the Newcastle diet a try.
    I posted a log of how it went for me earlier in this thread.
    The 1st few weeks in particular were a slog, but I honestly think the payoff was more than worth it.

I'm back to a "normal" diet now and it's had a big affect on my appetite too.

My main aim was to reduce my insulin need, as my thinking is that if I can support my own beta cells for as long as possible it will save me needing to take additional meds for longer.
    I'm still on oral meds, but my HbA1c over the course of the diet and 1st 2months since finishing it improved from a 49 in Oct 2018 to a 47 in May 2019.
    Also coincidentally dropped 13kg as a little bonus.

If and when I need insulin, of course I will take it ;) but a lot of Diabetes impact is worsened by lifestyle choices so I decided to be a guinea pig and follow the NHS advice and see if I improved.

Happy to report I did, and it gave me a real sense of both control over the disease and achievement.

brilliant well done I was going to say have a bun but maybe best not to :eek:

brilliant well done I was going to say have a bun but maybe best not to :eek:

I can tho ;)
    That's the beauty of good and common sense control.
    Nothing is forbidden, none of this nonsense about points or anything.
    Just moderation ;) and portion control rather than elimination.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

CramCycle wrote: »
    Could do a Glucose Tolerance Test handy enough with another box of strips, don't eat overnight and only drink water, tst your bloods after getting up, one hour later. Then drink a large glass of OJ. Test your sugars every 15minutes for 3 hours. Stress and hormones will affect it slightly so do it twice. It is a good indicator of Diabetes, and something you can bring to your GP and say, listen, I done this, I am either not Diabetic or possibly Diabetic.

Having had two readings 6 months apart of 7.2 my doc basically told me I was diabetic.

I cut out sugars, most carbs and had a reading of 6.2ish last time and down around 1.5 stone.

I didn't want to go on the register or start taking meds, simply because I was weary of filling out forms etc in the future. I got a box of strips and a meter from my dad and set about monitoring my bloods. I've since bought another couple of boxes and do my bloods at least twice a day (wife thinks I'm nuts) I have come to realise that a morning reading is not a true reflection of your BG due to the dawn effect. My BG ranges from 5.4 to 6.4 if I eat well and stay off carbs. It can go up to around 9.0 if I have a Indian with nan bread etc. I'm amazed how a couple of biscuits can shoot it up to 7.5ish.

The good thing seems to be it regulates itself after the spikes when I return to no sugar-low carb. I also find ACV really helps control the spikes..

I think everything in moderation and the weekend treat maybe

such as a bowl of ice cream after sunday dinner

jesus I really push the boat out me

my doc says once you can get back to good levels within max 3/4 hours your not too bad

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

So... back in February, the office held its annual health check, and I went along as... seemed a good idea

blood pressure fine, cholesterol fine, weight 'around' 30 bmi and blood sugar... 22 - the nurse doing the check blinked. twice. So did I

needless to say, I knew I'd get a follow up call with the 'go to your doctor. now. today. like right now' so before the call I'd immediately called the doctor and made an appointment - first one was a week later

I also stopped the processed crap I'd been (adding) to my normal diet - I dont do soda, but ice cream also went out etc

Got to the doc, and his reading came out at 13 (if I recall correctly I was fasting too) so he tells me to come back and get a blood test which I dutyfully did. Never got the ac1 'score' but he called me to say he was putting me on metaformin (no surprise there) and referring me to Beaumont - I said I can walk to the Mater - Beaumont is effectively taking a day of work... so the referal was going to the Mater

Aware of the queues, I didnt think anything of the lack of response, but after *three* months I called the Mater and said... by any chance could you tell me if you have me on your system. They didnt! A rather annoyed WTF call as placed to the Doc's surgery where I was told the Doc has said he was going to send the original referral.. HMMMM...

Anywho a week later I got a call from the Doc, the Mater had rejected the referal as I was outside their catchment area, so a new referral was sent to Beaumont

Now at this point, I have had no diagnose, no glucose monitor (or strips), no record book, no indication as to what I should and shouldnt do...

The Doc wanted me to go back for a blood test (which I'll have at his surgery tomorrow AM) - as it's been three months+ since the last one (Anyone else thinking 'no sh*t Sherlock')

Ah yes... that response from Beaumont... thank goodness An Post have brains - the letter arrived (incomplete address) and asked me to bring my glucose monitor... record book... er... I suspect I'll be calling them tomorrow and saying to the nurses "Ladies... we have an incy wincy problem..."

Diet wise, I'm on something like this now:
    - Breakfast (7 days) - sh*it load of spinach leaves; two (microwaved) eggs; 10th loaf of Dunnes ABC Tartine Seeds Granary. Occasionally a slice of (unsmoked) bacon is unleshed to keep me sane:p
    - Lunch - 200g of chicken, assorted steamed veggies (usually 2 from brocolli, brocollini green beans)
    - Dinner - well that usually is cheese and crackers late PM. Apart from Thursday nights which usually involves a burger
    - No soda, no crisps (boo!), cabs probably at 100g max a day...

Tomorrow should be an interesting day! :rolleyes:

I really have to ask, are these, er problems normal?

cant really reply to your hospital fiasco as im atm still medicine free fingers crossed it stays that way

your doctor sounds like basil fawlty he should at the very least have done an hba1c to check your long term levels

he should also have advised you of the lti scheme thats foc to all diabetic patients

you should at this stage have a glucose monitor which is great help in figuring out what certain foods are doing to your blood levels

a fasting level of 13 sounds very like a diagnosis for sure

don't panic or get upset it is what it is within a few months you will feel an awful lot better once you get those levels down

just read your post again so he may have done a hba1c as he wants you back 3 months later without discussing result with you

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Alot of piss poor GPs in this thread, what age is that fella^? Once they get up around 50 they really don't care I've found. Out of date aswell, you'll better them with a google which they don't like.

I can tho ;)
    That's the beauty of good and common sense control.
    Nothing is forbidden, none of this nonsense about points or anything.
    Just moderation ;) and portion control rather than elimination.

Can't beat elimination.

• Advertisement

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&t=50m21s&v=gBACh6c4zNY

Thats starting near the end but what say ye?

Advertisement