Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nude sauna

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭malkmoose

I enjoy naked sauna's, always went nude in a sauna..

But that changed a few years ago, and I don't want this to start a slagging war, when some gay lads started to use the sauna in the gym where I train.

Now I've absolutely no problem with gay men or being naked around 'em.. But the sauna turned murkier and murkier over time, and now most lads avoid it - preferring to use the mixed sauna out in the mixed wet area of the gym.

I've used mixed sauna's in Finnish army camps - no biggie going nude there.. Tbh, most people aren't that attractive nude anyway.. And I include both sexes in that.

I find that the vast majority of saunas are single sex here in Helsinki. In fact, I haven't seen a mixed sex one since I arrived (I'm sure they exist). For anyone that has ever used a gym or played for a football team I don't see the difference from seeing naked men in the changing room and in the sauna. What is the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

malkmoose wrote: »
    I find that the vast majority of saunas are single sex here in Helsinki. In fact, I haven't seen a mixed sex one since I arrived (I'm sure they exist). For anyone that has ever used a gym or played for a football team I don't see the difference from seeing naked men in the changing room and in the sauna. What is the difference?[/QUOTE]

ball control

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Wouldnt bother me too much but I can do without seeing most of the people I know naked. Not being a prude, just saving myself from some horrific mental images.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

latenia wrote: »
    Here you go; you and your wife will be welcome anytime:

http://www.the-boilerhouse.com/

Jaesus....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,020 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

stovelid wrote: »
    I guess some of us are not typical, inhibited, provinicial Irish prudes.

/lights Gauloise

And some are.. Beyond that, not sure what you're getting at?

Ireland, generally, is not as open minded or tolerant regarding nudity as the continent and some people hide behind jokes and banter. There is prudishness and inhibtions, yes, but I don't believe I ever said it was widespread?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    There is prudishness and inhibtions, yes, but I don't believe I ever said it was widespread?

I don't know if it's widespread? Haven't a clue.

What would be the breakdown do you think?

Statiscally how prudish would us Irish be toward other countries? Three times more? Five times more?

If taking off your kit in front of strangers confers a bon vivant sexuality and liberal attitude to nakedness, it's a relief to know all the lads on my football teams are sophisitcated europeans too. They'll be thrilled to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Crazy Europeans!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

malkmoose wrote: »
    I find that the vast majority of saunas are single sex here in Helsinki. In fact, I haven't seen a mixed sex one since I arrived (I'm sure they exist). For anyone that has ever used a gym or played for a football team I don't see the difference from seeing naked men in the changing room and in the sauna. What is the difference?

I wasn't in Finland at the time.. They also had shared toilets too, that bothered me more tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Do many people still wear bin liners while in the sauna?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭breadandjam

Mixed public saunas are not that common in Finland AFAIK- I've never seen one.

Generally if you are visiting a family home and are invited to go to the Sauna the men will go in together and then the women- not all together. I'm not saying that doesn't happen but my wife is Finnish and I've been visiting there for 15 years.
    Maybe we just move in the wrong crowd:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

3 words that jsut put me off
    Wrinkly
    ball
    bags

I guess you dont Have to look directly at anyone, but whats the motivation to sit with some old mans ball sweat evapourating into your lungs:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

am i the only one who finds going to a sauna to be one of the most horrible, uncomfortable and downright unpleasant pastimes known to man?
    Great, lets go in an extremely hot and sweaty small wooden box...and just sit there, in the nip, in silence for ages, doing nothing but sweat profusely and praying for the moment when it is deemed socially acceptable for you to gtfo...thats your idea of a good time??? feck off back to finland with ye, you sadomasochistic weirdo!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

I visited a sauna during a quick trip to Istanbul.

It was attached to the hotel and I was textile free.

About 5 or 10 mins into the sauna a large couple of German origin come in and and plop down on the bench.

The female proceeds to divest her gear and spreads her thighs and display a growler like a fcuking collies chest spattered with pork pieces

The male divests also and drops a chicken skin handbag the size of a Dunne's stores veggie bag and a chopper like a knotted ship's hawser.

I had to endure the sight of their 'bits' basting in sweat and their arses slobbering off the bench for 10 minutes before I could take no more.

Don't let that stuff into this country:mad:

I don't know if it's widespread? Haven't a clue.

What would be the breakdown do you think?

Statiscally how prudish would us Irish be toward other countries? Three times more? Five times more?

You want a mathimatical forumla to prove this? Seriously? the bit below, actually makes the point better because...
    If taking off your kit in front of strangers confers a bon vivant sexuality and liberal attitude to nakedness, it's a relief to know all the lads on my football teams are sophisitcated europeans too. They'll be thrilled to hear it.

... here you are talking about two different things. You know there is such a thing as nudity wihtout sexuality?

In short, it doesn't confer that. It doesn't even come close. Why did you think it did?

I'm an artist and have been to countless life drawing sessions. Is this "bon vivant sexuality" too? If so all the lads (and girls) I draw with will be thrilled to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Blah blah repressed Irish people blah blah missionary sex with lights turned out blah blah generalizations about libertine Europeans gleaned from a month inter-railing 10 years ago blah blah fat Irish birds blah blah zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I can't hear you, I'm wearing a towel

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

About 5 or 10 mins into the sauna a large couple of German origin come in and and plop down on the bench.

The female proceeds to divest her gear and spreads her thighs and display a growler like a fcuking collies chest spattered with pork pieces

The male divests also and drops a chicken skin handbag the size of a Dunne's stores veggie bag and a chopper like a knotted ship's hawser.

I had to endure the sight of their 'bits' basting in sweat and their arses slobbering off the bench for 10 minutes before I could take no more.

You normally sit on the towel.

I thought that boilerhouse place looked quite nice until I done some further reading :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

JayEnnis wrote: »
    You normally sit on the towel.

I thought that boilerhouse place looked quite nice until I done some further reading :eek:

Don't go there Flutt, just don't go there.

Creative wirting forum ---->
    <---- Erotic fiction forum
    Joe Duffy

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Automated Response

Creative wirting forum ---->
    <---- Erotic fiction forum
    Joe Duffy

could be worse.... http://drunkendisaster.com/?p=93

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You know there is such a thing as nudity wihtout sexuality?

I had no idea there was until you thoughfully pointed it out.

I'm repressed by dint of nationhood as we've already established via windy hypothesis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Down with that sort of thing here in holy Catholic Ireland. Nudity should be kept to the confines of the beaches of Lanzarote and places like that where an auld German fella could dip his schlong into your beer unbeknownst to you just because you walked across a nude beach to a beer kiosk and sat on it's steps oogling birds...... or so I heard.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

With the three of ye, it must've been like an episode of Eurotrash.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Don't go there Flutt, just don't go there.

So that's why I got an A2 instead of an A1 in honours English last year, If only I had of known. :rolleyes:

Criticising peoples mistakes is the height of cool you know.

I had no idea there was until you thoughfully pointed it out.

I'm repressed by dint of nationhood as we've already established via windy hypothesis.

Eh, no... you assumed that that's my point despite repeated efforts to indicate the contrary. Why you choose to continue this belief, I have no idea. Probably because it's in some way easier to debate your point when you make things up to suit your argument, rather that to actually read what was written.

That said, I am beginning to think that this isn't actually sarcasm.... otherwise why did you imply that there was a connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

As others have said its not always mixed in Finland. There are public mixed sauna's (rauhalahti for instance), but they are not so common. Usually a sauna will be in the changing rooms of gyms/swimming pools and single sex. Families would go all the women, then all the men. Course it all varies, couples at home would go together :) .

In the college buildings men had a different time to women and if a group were hiring a sauna usually it would be women only for a certain amount of time then it would be mixed (if any women stayed). With friends we often would just all go in together regardless.
    The fun ones were the international parties where most non-finns would be wearing swimwear while Finns and those of us who had lived there for a while would be naked. Or the Finnish student parties where everyone was in there naked and drinking :D

There are almost no nudist or topless beaches there as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭VNP

I’m gonna put a curse on you and all your kids will be born completely naked. "Jimi Hendrix"

• Registered Users Posts: 45 aibby

Can you sauna nude in Ireland and if so were ???????

You cant sauna nude anywhere in Ireland. Irish people are too afraid to get naked in public. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

Im nekkid right now and the kettle is on

hands up if you are offended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 harry bullfinch

well ur totaly uneducated in travel then,maybe you shouls get out more

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭alandublin15

hey this is scandanavia man
    chill out dont be so up tight
    be liberal its all natural
    excuse me ladies
    yeah so its me naked in a sauna