Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying cattle privately

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I don't know if I posted this before but around Christmas time a lad rang me, he'd sold heifers and told the buyer he could do the compliance form online. He lied, he could only check financial services on agfood. He said he didn't want to look stupid. So he asked me to do it. I could see were he tried to do it. The heifers were gone a few weeks at this stage.

On one occasion I posted the movement form and it never arrived in clonakilty. Rang them and they just said post it again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

The problem there is you are still relying on the purchaser to still accept the animal into his/herd herd

Probably the handiest way if you have been stung this way is hold onto the card until the movement is fully done. Going forward it so easy to do it for both sides either on agfood or the herd apps.

When buying calves here, it's load them into the trailer, create the app in the trailer and accept it before leaving the yard. It's fair on both sides

For the op, when it's sorted I wouldnt be surprised if the purchaser got and inspection in the coming months. It happened here about 15 years ago, forgot to send on the cert. Once both sides are clear and transparent on what happened if it's the buyer forgetting to send on the movement cert DAFM are ok.

Mistakes happen once in a bull moon with paper. Being forthcoming about resolving it will garnish you favour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

I know! It can be a struggle. We just get them to do the confirmation at point of loading before cards are handed over. A lot of lads hate that "shur we'll sort that later" or "I forgot my log in" etc but it's the only way to be guaranteed the job is done. If you told them they could get a €500 top up.from the Dept by logging in they wouldn't be long figuring it out. And yes I'd run the stock back off the trailer if needed.

I had one incident where a 3rd part (dealer) lifted the cattle, we got paid OK but the paper work was weeks getting sorted and we ended up locked up with a TB breakdown in the meantime due to a backwards trace test. Never again. The Dept wold treat you like a criminal in those cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

You were going to have a backward TB trace once the animal failed a test or show lesions one way or another. Should have moved into the dealers herd when you load the animals and stopped him jumping the cattle into another man’s herd off your permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭grass10

IT would be much easier if lads stopped dealing with dealers in the yard and just trade in marts remember the dealer is only buying in the yard because they are cheaper in the yard than mart price the dealer will not buy in the yard if he has to pay full mart price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,720 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The online movement system is flawed. You shouldn't be punished if someone else forgets to do something. I always keep a close eye on my profile online to make sure they are gone out of my herd.

Why doesn't the system contact the seller automatically if the buyer forgets to accept them?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A good few compliance certificates are generated and not used

Advertisement