Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are our Races long enough?

Options
  • 28-02-2011 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭

Was wondering what your thoughts are on this.
    I seen that the Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne for juniors was 116km! I owuld say that a lot of A1 races here arent that long...

Should the A3's be doing the same distance as A1/2?

Lets leave the A4's out of this for the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spokeydokey

Do you mean generally or are you talking about preparing junior riders for higher level competition?

I think the races are long enough here for the A1/2s.
    I did think that some of the accidents in the A3 races last year were in part down to the fact that there was too many fresh riders sprinting at the finish. It looked like about 60 lads felt they could when in Bohermeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Maybe as the season progresses, longer race could be run. However it's nice to start off with relatively short races. Wouldn't like to be doing 100k races in the first week in March.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I did think that some of the accidents in the A3 races last year were in part down to the fact that there was too many fresh riders sprinting at the finish. It looked like about 60 lads felt they could when in Bohermeen.

Swap A3 for the old 3rd cat and have 6 missing teeth which proves your point ;)

Personally I think the A1 races are too short but I know when organisers put on longer races they often struggle to attract decent fields.

I would worry about longer junior races and am very worried about the number or young riders getting overuse injuries. The drop out rate from the junior ranks and U23 riders at the moment is already far too high and that would be where I'd be more worried about examining.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭LCRC_BAX

Make them all Milan Sam Remo's, after 300kms anyone able to stay upright let alone sprint will deserve a medal :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Maybe as the season progresses, longer race could be run. However it's nice to start off with relatively short races. Wouldn't like to be doing 100k races in the first week in March.

If you were planning on doing the RAS seriously then it's 120+k races you need from the off. The top riders here can be in their comfort zone a bit here. That said the other end of the spectrum 50k ish events are fine. The balance in the middle is the grey area

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    If you were planning on doing the RAS seriously then it's 120+k races you need from the off.
    No doubt. I was talking more about A3ers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

Races for all Cats should be longer, anyone dropping out at junior and underage levels because races are too tough are in the wrong sport.

The Lacy cup is 72K? That's a waste of time for going into Ras Mumham,Shay Elliott,Ras, Suir Valley etc. etc.
    Bryan

If you were planning on doing the RAS seriously then it's 120+k races you need from the off.
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    No doubt. I was talking more about A3ers
    If you were planning on doing the RAS seriously then it's 120+k races you need from the off. The top riders here can be in their comfort zone a bit here. That said the other end of the spectrum 50k ish events are fine. The balance in the middle is the grey area

As was I in the full post ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

morana wrote: »
    I seen that the Kuurne-Brussels-Kuurne for juniors was 116km!

I'd say if you're riding the junior KBK, you're at a fairly elite level for juniors. I'd be worried whether you're comparing like with like.
    I would worry about longer junior races and am very worried about the number or young riders getting overuse injuries. The drop out rate from the junior ranks and U23 riders at the moment is already far too high and that would be where I'd be more worried about examining.

You'd probably know more about this than me, but are the injuries related to race length, or would it be more that they're receiving poor training? Also, are the dropout rates related to injuries?

Another thing, do we even know if the same happens with young riders in Belgium? It's pretty much the national sport there. So if you get a swath of young riders giving it up due to injuries, they're still going to have a lot of talent coming through.
    morana wrote: »
    Lets leave the A4's out of this for the moment.

I know this is an aside, but some A4 races are way to short. I lined out for one last year that was only around 30km. Given the travel involved, it's a lot to be on the bike for less than an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

BryanL wrote: »
    Races for all Cats should be longer, anyone dropping out at junior and underage levels because races are too tough are in the wrong sport.

The Lacy cup is 72K? That's a waste of time for going into Ras Mumham,Shay Elliott,Ras, Suir Valley etc. etc.
    Bryan

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

too short IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

What is burnout and is it a problem in ireland? does cycling for too long cause this problem, should races be shorter to avoid this

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭ryan_sherlock

On the A1 level, races in general are way too short. 60km and 80km at the weekend (okay - first weekend of racing, so ease us back into it etc.. etc...).

Still - you get, maybe one, if you are lucky, race that is 100km+ a weekend in Ireland - then I go to the RAS where we are racing 160+ every day. You could see it in the other county riders - they were good to about 80 or 90km, then when the race actually started - most were thrashed, hanging on for grief death rather than trying to race.

My plan - ride to the race, ride home from the race - treat the race as training, it is the only way to get the load in for the bigger races.

As was mentioned, things like, RAS Mumhan and Tour of Ulster were excellent last year in my prep for the RAS.

I can see the point of view of organizers - make a race 140km and then there will really only be a few competing for the top steps. Make it a flat 60km and hundreds will turn out for the "sit in till the sprint" racing.

As was I in the full post ;)
    Too cryptic for me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spokeydokey

I feel that the higher speed and a lack practice riding in a competitive peloton are big factors in riders struggling in races like the Ras.
    Distance is of course a factor too but not the main difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

In fairness, longer races also means stuff like more expense, more marshals/longer marshaling times, more inconvenience for locals and other road users. Also with the likes of the club league, there's probably not enough daylight in the evenings to stretch the distances any.

I think the races ARE too short btw but with attitudes to cycling generally and practical reasons like above, I can see why they won't/don't make them longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

My plan - ride to the race, ride home from the race - treat the race as training, it is the only way to get the load in for the bigger races.
    Would you be racing home after the race too? Or keep it to an easy-ish pace?

Would you be racing home after the race too? Or keep it to an easy-ish pace?

Depends - usually endurance/low tempo... depends how I feel

• Registered Users Posts: 31,035 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

OK, possibly daft suggestion.

A1/A2. Let the A1s out a lap or so early to wear each other out, then release the A2s out ahead of them.

A3/A4. Let the A3s out a lap or so early to wear each other out, then release the A4s out ahead of them.

That way, the better cyclists get the distance but you don't necessarily end up with the top two or three people finishing on their own, because everyone approaches the finish similarly knackered.

fat bloke wrote: »
    In fairness, longer races also means stuff like more expense, more marshals/longer marshaling times, more inconvenience for locals and other road users. Also with the likes of the club league, there's probably not enough daylight in the evenings to stretch the distances any.

Club leagues are one thing - during the week, after work for most people - a short sharp session works well.

I do see the difficulties involved too (and am very thankful for the clubs that run races!).

Personally, I would have no problem adding an extra €5 to entry for races that are over, say 100km... To help assist the club/marshalls, get them a beer after the race. I know this is another debate but I think €10 for a race is very very good value (my UK XC races are closer to €50!). I would have no issues paying €15 if the race was longer -> needing more resources.

I rolled up to the races at the weekend up north and looking at the kit everyone is running, I don't think many will have a €5 issue if given a longer race.

Difficulty of races is another thing (tougher terrain etc...) that is needed for prep for upping our racers abilities. I know of lots of fantastic Irish racers who win lots of races (so a great racing head), but when the roads are very tough - fall apart.

Having said all of the above - attendance is going up - maybe we shouldn't alter something that is working well (at least at getting people onto bikes and racing)...

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    A1/A2. Let the A1s out a lap or so early to wear each other out, then release the A2s out ahead of them.

I have often thought about that as a great idea... Last weekends race for me around Nutts Corner was 82km. Short... For the A3 riders, in the same race - riding for 2 hours at 40kmph, even if just sitting in, I'm sure was at the end of their abilities...

A little awkward to get the timing right - but hey, with all handicap races, it is awkward getting the timing right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

I would be in favour of shorter races, both pro and amateur, where riders were not allowed to take on the bike nutrition.
    It would be interesting to see how the balance of abilities would pan out over various terrain and possibly move the sport one step closer to true genetics.
    For example, many keen cycling supporters I know will now only watch highlights or the last 20 mins of the grand tour stages.
    I think it would be healthier for the riders too because they would not have to dig so deep for so long before bonking. Minimising the number of sugar highs and lows as a result of the amount of carb drinks taken, can help to prevent depression, obesity and intestinal disorders in later life too.
    The fact that some TDF riders will take something like 10 to 15 litres of liquid to get them through just one hot day is madness.
    I don't think that training for and cycling around in a vacuum for 4 to 6 hours day after day servers any purpose especially when the TT distances are generally between 16 and 40Km.

I would be in favour of shorter races, both pro and amateur, where riders were not allowed to take on the bike nutrition.

Problem is, the races would then become a contest of who could race on a full stomach.

I foresee much vomiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

Problem is, the races would then become a contest of who could race on a full stomach.

I foresee much vomiting.

LOL

And if I was to follow High 5's pre race nutritional advice I would be one of them.
    And to do it would be a good spin ruined.
    I just don't know how some people do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Surely races can be made more difficult independent of length with more corners, hills, teamwork, even combativity prizes(not sure it would be workable). More redlining efforts rather than a wearing down at 3/4 of max.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

I think €10 for a race is very very good value (my UK XC races are closer to €50!).

€10! You lucky ba5tard5!

I'm paying at least $35 and as much as $50 for late reg. Doesn't matter if its a RR or a Crit. TTs are sometimes a bit cheaper. Most weekends are TT, Crit, RR (Sun), so typically an omnium discount is available, but its all of $10.

I just did this on Saturday. Check out those $80 entry fees.

dave2pvd wrote: »
    I just did this on Saturday. Check out those $80 entry fees.

Post race party! w00t! We need those.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I tell ya something. I'd definitely be willing to pay a lot more for closed road racing, be that rolling or total closures. The current system is dodgy out, with Toyota Landcruisers barrelling in the opposite direction at 60mph, driver on the phone, and not even a cursory tip of the brakes...

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The Crunch

I've always thought A3 races could be a bit longer. Generally 10 or 15km would stretch the legs a bit more. Road racing is traditionally an endurance sport. Crits, TTs, hillclimbs etc. are different branches of the sport.
    Maybe the Road Commission could issue guidelines on race lengths for each category for various times of the year? If the guidelines were flagged and publicised in advance I'm sure they would be taken on board.
    Lots of A4 races were very short last year. I rode a 25 mile road race in Stamullen last year. I'd hardly rubbed the sleep from my eyes before it was over... I suppose organisers had to come to terms with the extra race on the card for a new category. It was a learning process for everyone. I notice that the first couple of Leinster races this weekend have A4 races which are the same length as the A3 races which is great.
    Adding distance to the races is far less likely to affect entry numbers than the terrain, I reckon. An 80km race up every wall in the county is much more likely to have a small turnout than 100km on the flat.
    I don't think adding some length to the races would add massively to the organisers expenses. A little bit of petrol but I don't think it would make a big difference.
    Please don't lobby for race entry increase! It's tough enough to race twice or three times a week as it is, and that's one of the great traditions of road racing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

A3/A4. Let the A3s out a lap or so early to wear each other out, then release the A4s out ahead of them.

That way, the better cyclists get the distance but you don't necessarily end up with the top two or three people finishing on their own, because everyone approaches the finish similarly knackered.

This isn't quite true. If you let A3s off on some courses, knowing that the race will come together before the end (which it really has to do in fairness to the best riders), there is no incentive to try to 'stay away'. It's more tactical to take it handy, wait for the fast bunch to come up and then get drafted up to the guys that are trying to stay away.

Advertisement