Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus S

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭YIA

Check out noled from the Market.
    Plenty of options for replacing the led.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭PH4T

Just got this as an upgrade from my Nexus One and initially not overly impressed with it.

Mainly due to the build quality. It feels cheap and plasticy.

For a phone that came out a year after the Nexus One it doesn't feel like an upgrade.

Screen is nice though and I'm gonna give it a few days to see how that battery performs as that was my biggest gripe with the N1.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

The battery i found to be pretty respectable.

having had it a week though i do still have a few little niggles. every now and then, particularly after installing an app the screen becomes unresponsive to sliding left and right through the main screens. I can view the apps screen, put the phone to sleep, awaken it again and sometimes use the notifications bar but im unable to slide left or right. I end up having to restart the phone.

While on a call yesterday too i was happily yapping away when all of a sudden the person on the other end was ignoring me, or so i thought until i looked at the phone and found it was on the Nexus boot logo. it just decided to do a restart for no reason at all. this is the second time ive had it do this.

Hecklar wrote: »
    every now and then, particularly after installing an app the screen becomes unresponsive to sliding left and right through the main screens. I can view the apps screen, put the phone to sleep, awaken it again and sometimes use the notifications bar but im unable to slide left or right. I end up having to restart the phone.

This has happened to me too. I found that if you hold down the Apps grid button the five home screens pop up and you can selet whichever one you want.

Also I noticed that when you connect a USB cable to a PC it askes you "Turn off USB storage" even though it isn't turned on yet. Bit sloppy of Googles part to let that slip through.

srsly78 wrote: »
    It took off in London because of the Oyster card, a unified travel ticket that _everone_ has in their pocket. Not using Oyster in London is unthinkable (save up to 75% on tube/bus). Because of this lots of small retailers are hooking into it to sell various stuff. Time will tell if using it on phone really takes off. The SDK to code for it was just updated last week, I should really get around to messing with new features.

Can you use the Nexus S as an Oyster Card in London?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Gerard_Smith

Was looking at a Nexus S in vodafone today. Asked at the counter and got the "its locked to vodafone" line.

Is there any confirmation that the model they sell in vodafone shops is unlocked? I'm tempted I have to say but I'm not changing networks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

While on a call yesterday too i was happily yapping away when all of a sudden the person on the other end was ignoring me, or so i thought until i looked at the phone and found it was on the Nexus boot logo. it just decided to do a restart for no reason at all. this is the second time ive had it do this.

Well known problem and a fix due soon.

http://www.techradar.com/news/phone-and-communications/mobile-phones/google-promises-nexus-s-reboot-bug-fix-soon-924548

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Ste- wrote: »

From the article...

The initial results of our tests look very promising. At this rate we will most likely be rolling out an OTA to resolve this issue within one to two weeks.

The articles date was the 28th of January. Doesn't really inspire confidence.

Was looking at a Nexus S in vodafone today. Asked at the counter and got the "its locked to vodafone" line.

Is there any confirmation that the model they sell in vodafone shops is unlocked? I'm tempted I have to say but I'm not changing networks.

From what im hearing, Vodafone haven't been allowed to brand the bejayzuz out of these phones. the vids on their site, posted in this thread also suggest they are unlocked. They are total fuktards in the stores though. why they would turn away a 500 quid customer with this sort of bollocks is beyond me. Go to the carphone warehouse where you are sure to get an unlocked one, and even have it tested before you complete the purchase.
    Ste- wrote: »

Thats great to hear, in a way.

At least now i wont be paranoid and bring it back thinking i have a faulty unit. It hasnt happened in ages and then sprung on me again this morning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭mossie

The Google Nexus page http://www.google.ie/nexus/#/features states

"Unlocked by default

Out of the box, Nexus S is unlocked, so it will work with any GSM carrier. "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭TripleAce

i cant believe anyone would consider buying a phone that's half as powerful as phones coming out in a few weeks.

your all crazy!

I am actually curious about this - I still have an old phone and was going to buy my first smart phone but now I feel I should maybe old off a bit longer? Is there any time frame of when these more powerful phones will be released? Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,336 ✭✭✭xtal191

They'll probably be out sometime in the summer

Little update,
    So far the withe the phone has been working well with the exception of the issues I mentioned earlier.

One other problem I noticed though, about 50-60% of the time I make a video I get the sound fine but the video itself chops and skips. Its totally unusable like this. Hope there's a fix soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm very tempted to try and upgrade to this phone because it seems like fairly good value with deals like €50.

I had a very bad experience with the Samsung omnia though, absolute worst phone I've ever owned, it had a mind of it's own a complete nightmare to use so I'm somewhat apprehensive to get another Samsung phone.

I've been using a bog standard 3110 Nokia for the past few months and it's no nonsense simplicity makes it a dependable phone but I kind of need something that can do email and keep track of appointments now and I guess I need a smart phone, for €50 I'd be willing to give this one a go.

Is it practical?

I've owned 5 droids so far, I'm a bit of a collector. I don't think the build quality is up there with the likes of the Desire but it isn't bad either. I would prefer a matte cover on the back for extra grip and the wifi range is not as good in subjective tests too.

I'll stick with it though because I really like the curved screen and the lack of bloat is what you really buy a phone like this for.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

So am I to understand the following:

If bought from the Carphone warehouse it has an Amoled screen and doesn't have to be unlocked? does it have any bad vodaphone software on it or is it vanilla?

cause I want to buy it and throw my meteor sim in it right away.

theres nothing to do with vodafone on the phone, nope. :)

The Nexus S can also double up as a fun house mirror, just turn off the screen and look at your reflection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭rancheros

Bought this on vodafone. Online can confirm its unlocked...
    I cannot send picture messages Though...has anyone else this prob

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Xavier77

rancheros wrote: »
    I cannot send picture messages Though...has anyone else this prob

Just posting to confirm that the phones sold on Vodafone.ie are unlocked right out of the box. I immediately threw my meteor SIM in there and wasn't asked for an NAC or anything.

Haven't tried sending picture messages though, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭rancheros

<snip>

Yep straight from box. I had to use my meteor sim for a day in it so defo works..
    the transition to vodafone though a different story. Phone being returned today as they can't get picture messages working..
    not happy

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭dfdream

Ive been testing this and the galaxy s for use at work for non bb users to get email and save (€300-400 for iphone4).

For 2 samsung phones they have a lot of differences.

The galaxy s does look a bit more professional but has issues with no flash, battery life and Wifi connection issues to several accesspoints. (this did improve alot with auto wifi enabler app).

The Nexus seems better on battery, wifi connects better to same APs has a flash but no micro SD.
    Also a few niggly things, I have no new messages number on the email icon, There is no contacts search bar in the main contacts screen, calendar doesnt have option to change default view to weeks.

Other than the above there isnt much to separate these.

I think its the Galaxy S II due in May for me.....

rancheros wrote: »

I assume its the same then when bought PAYG from CarphoneWarehouse? I want the AMOLED Screen

The lack of a notification led is annoying but "noled" works pretty good for me. It shows a dot on the screen when you have a notification.

I assume its the same then when bought PAYG from CarphoneWarehouse? I want the AMOLED Screen

Yep I've bought 2 of them from carphone warehouse on pay as you go and they are both unlocked.

Yep I've bought 2 of them from carphone warehouse on pay as you go and they are both unlocked.

Great thanks for the info

So has anybody got the 2.3.3 update OTA yet? Or is it being pushed out here yet? I'm not sure how the update process works.

Got bored waiting for it a while back so I flashed it manually!

I believe *#*#2434546#*#* is supposed to force a check but I don't know if it works.

see: http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-eris/38801-checkin.html

baz8080 wrote: »
    Got bored waiting for it a while back so I flashed it manually!

Thanks! a Noob question, when you do it manually, does it keep all your settings and apps? doesn't wipe you phone or anything right?

Currently Nexus S 2.3.1 got in carphone warehouse

• Advertisement

In this particular case I don't remember it wiping my stuff. You need to get the right zip for your current build number though:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2011/02/24/google-releases-android-2-3-3-update-zip-for-nexus-one-and-nexus-s/

After that the process is fairly simple and is described above. try the checkin method first, would make it a lot easier.

edit: the update instructions above are for the nexus one, but the link has the right zips.

This link has the right method of getting into recovery mode for the nexus s

http://www.androidcentral.com/how-manually-update-your-nexus-s-android-233

Advertisement