Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nexus S

Options
  • 28-02-2011 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any news on the Nexus being launched tomorrow ?

got a mil from VF the other day saying its going on sale 1/3/11. No prices or anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Easy Rider

Yeah, got the same mail. Wondering what the price will be too, still looking to upgrade and this could be the one..

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

same her, called int o a VF shop this evening, and they said they would not know till tomorrow... surprised there has been no info or leaks about the phone or prices etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Hecklar

that seems like a really good price. have been waiting for one of these since getting to play with one a few months ago. its taken its time though and im half tempted to just wait out on the galaxy s 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

My mate has this a few weeks now... (relation who works in google). He thinks its the best, but having played with it... Bar having 2.3.1 there is little to differentiate it from the desire...

I still prefer the Galaxy s tbh!

• Advertisement

muboop1 wrote: »
    My mate has this a few weeks now... (relation who works in google). He thinks its the best, but having played with it... Bar having 2.3.1 there is little to differentiate it from the desire...

It is very similar to the galaxy in fairness, probably not as much a step up as a step to the side considering how much newer than the Galaxy it is. I still really like it though and obviously it doesn't have the baggage of Samsungs fettling the OS like the galaxy S stock FW does. The lack of SD card in this day and age is silly though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

muboop1 wrote: »

Until you physically put the two next to each other.

I can get it at the moment through the VF online shop for €110 as an upgrade on my current plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

€110 is an incredible price for the lowest Vodafone tariff.

I can see it but won't let me 'select this phone' at the moment, the button is there but white out and when you click it nothing happens. 109 euro is pretty good, will check again tomorrow to see if I can upgrade.

• Advertisement

it's €109 if i upgrade online, but €149 if i buy in the shop. Im on perfect choice 150 plan, so will differ for other plans afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'm on Perfect Choice Access Plus and can get it for €109.99.
    Veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery tempted. :D

But I really like my Galaxy S and the Nexus S is only a minor step up from it and has no radio. :(

Might just wait for the Galaxy S2

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gargled

Heroditas wrote: »
    But I really like my Galaxy S and the Nexus S is only a minor step up from it and has no radio. :(

No radio is criminal

If looking for radio then yes, would be a bummer, does not concern me really as I just use data radio apps. Not ideal for some, but I would be coming from a Hero which had none anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭robz18

it is such a nice phone...but i just couldnt buy it now knowing all these dual core processors are just around the corner

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭MrGarak

It looks very plasticky to me (Samsung phones tend to be like that). Thought the Nexus One was far better looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 domoKon

Been waiting for this for a while, very surprised it was a VF exclusive, really though Meteor, the so called Android network would get it. Don't think it's worth switching from Meteor to VF cause the price plans seem like a rip off in VF + an 18 month contract :/

https://phones.meteor.ie/bp/choose_a_plan
    http://www.vodafone.ie/df/paymonthly/porting/index.jsp?handset=NEXBK&manufacturerSelected=ALL

I'll wait until it pops up in Meteor, not really interested in the Galaxy S coz I was looking for something that's pure Google. I'll be sticking with the Hero for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Only €49.99 to €109.99 on Vodafone :eek:

http://www.vodafone.ie/offers/nexus

They'll sell by the bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,041 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Wouldn't go near one on those plans. €35 for 1gb of data, no minutes and no texts. Pathetic.

Wouldn't go near one on those plans. €35 for 1gb of data, no minutes and no texts. Pathetic.

Totally agree, very poor VFM. 18 months of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

Agree. Am on a vodafone 18 month contract of 150 mins, 150 txts and 2gb data. Given what they are offering for the new contract I won't be signing a new one or upgrading. I'm going to buy it pay as you go, when contract is over will get it unlocked and go to meteor.

Although o2 is meant to be getting it as well could you imagine what they'll be offering!

thomasj wrote: »
    Agree. Am on a vodafone 18 month contract of 150 mins, 150 txts and 2gb data. Given what they are offering for the new contract I won't be signing a new one or upgrading. I'm going to buy it pay as you go, when contract is over will get it unlocked and go to meteor.

Although o2 is meant to be getting it as well could you imagine what they'll be offering!

i have the same plan, and if you upgrade you do not lose, drop down to the 1gb data allowance.. had asked in 2 different VF stores.
    The perfect choice was 2gb data allowance up until Oct 2010, and then went to 1gb for new customers after that.

Does anyone know if the Nexus has a WiFi hotspot, for using through a laptop, or sharing the data connection with another phone ?

i have a desire at moment and thinking of getting this, but not sure if its worth using my upgrade, or waiting for something else to come along but i ahve been waiting a few months, so may as well use it up

Anyone bought one yet? Are they locked to Vodafone?

scuby wrote: »

Does anyone know if the Nexus has a WiFi hotspot, for using through a laptop, or sharing the data connection with another phone ?

That's a standard feature from 2.2 on I thought...

Hecklar wrote: »
    Anyone bought one yet? Are they locked to Vodafone?
    JustinOval wrote: »
    That's a standard feature from 2.2 on I thought...

i was looking at the attached link, scroll down to the 4 video's and one has it being unlocked, and the other shows the wifi hotspot...

Has wi-fi hotspot from the reviews I read.

Ordered mine and was dispatched today, hope to have it tomorrow, will let you know what I think of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

From nexus site google.co.uk/nexus
    Portable Wi-Fi hotspot
    Nexus S can function as a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to six portable devices such as laptops or tablets. Once connected, these devices will have access to the Internet.*

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Heroditas

It's unlimited texts and minutes to other Vodafone numbers though, isn't it?
    However, most of their new tariffs only offer 500MB of data .... now that's REALLY scabby!

I nearly bought it earlier on, but it does feel pretty cheap. Needs a metal back cover or something i reckon.

The guy in Vodafone said its locked to their network, Anyone confirm this? Its no use to me unless its simfree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Some people just don't like the plastic finish, I think it looks and feels better than any other phone.

There is actually a metal plate on the back, just under the cover. This is used for the NFC. Probably why they used plastic in the first place, metal case would interfere.

Advertisement