Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Tideswell

Thanks folks. That's going to keep me quiet for a while!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Tideswell

Has anyone got a copy of a Beekeepers Blanket pattern?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭duckling10

you can buy the pattern for Beekeeper's quilt here on ravelry it costs 5.50 USdollars
    or search for Hexipuffs on ravelry or on the web, to find more patterns. I do not know if any are free on the web, but there are 77 free charts/patterns for Hexipuffs on Ravelry
    beekeepers quilt is knit using hexipuffs.
    you can read an amusing blog post here about hexipuffs : http://afterthekidsleave.com/2013/09/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-hexipuffs/
    There is even a crochet version of the knitted beekeepers quilt, using crocheted hexipuffs of course, and the pattern is called The Apiary, it's here: on Ravelry and free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I'm making a jacket for my 2 yo nephew. Got the pattern as a free download from Love Knitting, and the wool is Rowan's Big Wool. It's super chunky and knits up on 15mm needles (but I'm using 12mm as my tension tends to be tight :(). Only started it last night, and already I'm dividing for the back.

I'm well impressed! Lovely wool and great stitch definition.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Love big wool, but be warned it felts! cool wash.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the tip. I was going to hand wash it in warm water and dry it flat before handing it over.

I made a bag ages ago with big wool and the back of it felted from rubbing against me! Couldn't work out what had happened to it!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Help help help I'm having an emergency!

I'm halfway through a baby blanket, and realised that I bought 3 ply instead of 4 ply, but the same dye lot...

U knew there was a site I saw a while back that would match the dye lots, would anyone know any sites that do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

Do you mean you're looking for more of the original dye lot?
    The best way would be to contact the manufacturer of your yarn to find a retailer near you, or check out Ravelry.com where knitters sometimes sell their own stash of yarn and it can be a good way to find older yarns and discontinued dye lots.

Alternatively, get creative: buy a completely different colour for the second half of the blanket, and then do a border with either the 2 colours or a third colour.

I did something similar with a blanket last year and it turned out very well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I'm thinking of doing this shawl in white for a friends baby. Would it be gender neutral enough?
    Has anyone used baby cashmerino? I googled it and it seems to be 5ply but on ravelry it's listed as dk? I was hoping to use 4 ply.
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/lacy-shawl-3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

They have likely made a mistake on the pattern page saying it's 8ply. The yarn they're suggesting is 5ply and the gauge they're quoting also sounds like a 5 ply, rather than 8.
    I've recently used Drops Baby Merino for a hat using 2.5mm, really nice to work with. Bigger would've been quicker though :)

I've used other Debbie Bliss yarn though, it's wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Gatica wrote: »
    They have likely made a mistake on the pattern page saying it's 8ply. The yarn they're suggesting is 5ply and the gauge they're quoting also sounds like a 5 ply, rather than 8.
    I've recently used Drops Baby Merino for a hat using 2.5mm, really nice to work with. Bigger would've been quicker though :)

I've used other Debbie Bliss yarn though, it's wonderful.

Thanks a mill! That's what I thought. For this I'm just going to use what I have but I'm going to do a smock coat for my little girl so might splash out on the baby cashmerino for that. Thanks :-)

a while back someone suggested bamboo circular needles, I ordered a set and they are brilliant. way better than the aero ones I have from my grandmother's knitting kit.

also, I found a free lesson on short rows on crafts.com.

it was brilliant, the lady turned out to be from cork and the last lesson showed a way to construct your own sleeve with out a pattern .

I rooted out a cardi that I gave up on a few years ago and finished it without a pattern. you just knit the same way that I draft sewing patterns.

well worth a look, you get to download notes too

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    a while back someone suggested bamboo circular needles, I ordered a set and they are brilliant. way better than the aero ones I have from my grandmother's knitting kit.

also, I found a free lesson on short rows on crafts.com.

it was brilliant, the lady turned out to be from cork and the last lesson showed a way to construct your own sleeve with out a pattern .

I rooted out a cardi that I gave up on a few years ago and finished it without a pattern. you just knit the same way that I draft sewing patterns.

well worth a look, you get to download notes too

Hi
    Can you give the link for that lesson? (Can only find products on crafts.com)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm knitting a cardigan in a simple basket weave stitch at the minute and it's not going great. Between some of the squares, the threads are coming out very loose and it looks kind of holey. I'm not sure why this is happening as I'm pulling the thread tight between each change between purl and plain but some squares are nice and neat next to their neighbour and others have almost a ladder of holes between them.

Did you check your tension?

Hi
    Can you give the link for that lesson? (Can only find products on crafts.com)

Sorry stuipd phone auto corrected me!

It was craftsy.com

http://www.craftsy.com/classes/knitting/free?_ct=wberqbdql-sbqiiui&_ctp=knitting/free

Its the one one left, short rows.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I find that with my basketweave as well. Blocking can often sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭witchity2

Hi hope there's someone here who can help. Im following a pattern that is all in knit stich. I have to increase but starting on the wrong side. With everything being plain, how can you tell which is the right and wrong side. Thanks

Right side or RS, is the outside of a garment or the side that will be facing you normally when your work is complete.
    If your pattern is in garter stitch (you knit every row or purl every row) then pick the side you think will be the one facing you or the outside side. If it's the same either way, then it doesn't really matter which one you start on, but just mark that side with something, e.g. a safety pin or something like that, so that every time you need to do something on the RS or WS (wrong side) you know which is which.

• Advertisement

As Gatica said, it doesn't really matter since both sides look the same. But if you want to be precise, count your rows from the cast on edge. Usually the odd rows are right side and even rows are wrong side (unless your pattern states otherwise, or your cast-on technique takes an extra row.)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭osullc10

I know it's 6 months to Christmas but...
    I got the idea to get a Snowman scarf like the boy gets in the Raymond Briggs cartoon, to wear this Christmas for a bit of fun. I bought a knitting pattern for a suitable scarf on Etsy, but I can't knit whatsoever, so I was wondering how to go about obtaining the services of someone who could knit it for me.
    The pattern is for a child-size scarf, so the knitter would have to scale things up to adult size.

Could anyone give me any pointers? I'm in Dublin.
    Thanks

Get a loom and knit it, it's easy!

Honestly a scarf on a loom can be done by my 3 year old.

Even if you just managed 4 snowmen on each end, you'd have a good chance of succeeding for a first project.

Other than that ask in any wool shop, they'l hook you up.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 lomadesigns

Hi
    I want to knit some baby hats. Please can someone advise me on best yarn to use for babies and where is great place to purchase
    Many thanks

I've used Drops Baby merino for a baby hat. Wonderful yarn, feels really soft and warm, hasn't been worn yet though. It is quite fine so was a bit more work on smaller needles than the adult hats I've done.
    I got it at
    http://store.winniethewoolwagon.com/store/product/15190/Drops-Baby-Merino-16-Red/
    I'd also looked at http://www.theconstantknitter.ie/shop/yarn/baby-bamboo as an option. The shop owner also recommended http://www.theconstantknitter.ie/shop/yarn/essentials-merino-dk-0 as a DK alternative, which she said knitted quite soft.

There are of course acrylic blends that you can use and usually are easily available in most craft stores at very cheap prices.

Deramore's Something for the Weekend blog has some great new stitches to learn on it. Might be a good way of using up odd bits of yarn for practice! I'm certainly going to have a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Hi can anyone recommend sites to buy patterns off ,looking for some unusual ones for blankets/babywear? Thanks

Search Ravelry. Plenty of free patterns on there.

does anyone know of any where in ireland that sells cones of yarn.

I've been asked to knit a 2 piece suit but the lady wants to choose the yarn and I need it on cones, I'd need about 2kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

I know that Craftspun Yarns near Naas, Co. Kildare and Springwools in Ballymount, Dublin 12 both do them. I'm sure there must be more but those are the two that I know of, if I come across any others I'll let you know because I'm snooping online this morning for baby blanket patterns so who knows where I'll end up!

Advertisement