Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Knitting - help and advice super thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Thanks for the heads up on needle storage! How do you guys store/organise yarn? I need to get a new bag to keep my current projects in too .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I bought a big tote bag from Primark to keep my 'on the go' projects in. Cost me E6 which is a fraction of the price charged on ebay/Deramores/Love Knitting for similar.

I've also got an old shopping bag to keep my stash in. I must buy some mothballs or similar actually to stop the moths having a feast! Does anyone know where I can buy some or have any ideas how to keep the critters out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

For my yarn I have those shoe storage bags, like this one:

Underbed_clear_PVC_shoe_storage_bag_stylish.jpg_350x350.jpg

They are handy as you can see it all and stack them under the bed and I keep one for 4 ply / 1 for DK / chunky / super chunky etc.

I made a wrap for my needles, but I made it too small so have to make another one now! Its like a big cross of material, you put the needles in the middle, each pair in elastic. Bring the fabric down from top and up from bottom and roll and secure with the velcro. hope that makes sense.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

That storage bag looks very handy. I have a couple of stuffed shopping bags of wool at the foot of my son's cot at the moment. Not the best place to have it with a curious toddler on the loose but I had a wool shopping spree in Mr Price a few days ago and have no proper place to put it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

kandr10 wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up on needle storage! How do you guys store/organise yarn? I need to get a new bag to keep my current projects in too .
    I keep current projects and working yarn in freezer bags, those that zip up at the top. Keeps them clean and from ravelling together in the knit bag. I can keep around 4 different project in my knit bag. I got the knit bag in Anthony Ryan's on sale, but I'm sure any wide enough bag would do that job. What's handy is the inside pocket (a little deeper than a phone pocket) can keep a pair of scissors and crochet needle in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭aknitter

I bought a vase in B&Q for €5 and I use that for my needles - I have them up high away from small hands and they are accessible to me too! Will get a photo later - boss man is asleep in the room!

I have realised the only 'up high'place left that me 2yr old can't access is a locked spare room!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭TreasureBin

I bought a big tote bag from Primark to keep my 'on the go' projects in. Cost me E6 which is a fraction of the price charged on ebay/Deramores/Love Knitting for similar.

I've also got an old shopping bag to keep my stash in. I must buy some mothballs or similar actually to stop the moths having a feast! Does anyone know where I can buy some or have any ideas how to keep the critters out?

I wouldn't recommend mothballs because of the strong smell.
    I've heard cedar wood is a good deterrent, and you can buy small pieces of it to use in the same way of mothballs.

I've heard cedar wood is a good deterrent, and you can buy small pieces of it to use in the same way of mothballs.

My OH doesn't believe in them, the existence of moths that is. So every time I kill a flying moth I think I should show it to him, but forget. We've a infestation around this time of year... Last year had to clean out all under our bed and and back of drawers, so don't know where they're coming from this year. argh...

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭janmaree

Just smiling to myself here reading about all your needle storage ideas and thinking of mine! It's a long cardboard box with a lift-off lid that my grandmother pressed into service after buying herself a new corset! It must be 70+ years old by now, sturdily repaired and reinforced with clear parcel tape but it's going strong and it holds everything including those little sizing guides to convert all the old size needles to their metric equivalents! Some of the needles in that box would be pre-War and I don't mean WWII! They've been used to test Christmas cakes and the divil knows what over the years but every time I go looking for something, I think of her and my Mum and all the knitting they did over the years, some of the garments are still here and still serviceable despite all the moths who come here on their holidays! I even have some of Nana's patterns, admittedly almost in tatters but all with her handwriting, noting the different measurements for each grandchild, some of whom are heading for even bigger birthdays than mine! YIKES! It was nice to reminisce for a while though! :)

• Advertisement

Gatica wrote: »
    My OH doesn't believe in them, the existence of moths that is. So every time I kill a flying moth I think I should show it to him, but forget. We've a infestation around this time of year... Last year had to clean out all under our bed and and back of drawers, so don't know where they're coming from this year. argh...

Already on it. Ordered two packs of cedar wood balls from eBay. Should be here this week with any luck. Only £2.49 per pack of 24 & free postage to the Parcel Motel! :D

WOW! That's amazing!! So much history contained in there. And vintage patterns to boot. You are SO lucky! Treasure that box always...

Maybe you could scan the patterns to save them? Be a shame to loose them completely

Thanks for the mothball suggestions. I've now ordered some on ebay that you can hang onto the hanger! :)
    I'll probably throw one in under the bed as well!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm so fed up of basketweave.

Basketweave looks great, but so boring to knit! Knitting a lace scarf in Louisa Harding Grace Beaded. Done the hat, but am slowly losing the will to live with the scarf. Can't WAIT to finish it...

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Exactly. I'm making a baby blanket, and I've to knit four basketweave strips and sew them together. I've one and a half done and it's slowly sucking my soul away.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭briscotti

Hi all! Love this thread!
    Hmmm...needle storage...Pringles tube?
    Design a wrap exactly like ye need?

Yarn storage I second under bed shoe storage bag. Or else a blanket box if ye have loads?
    Lavendar for moth deterrent? Does that work? Have I just made that up??

Anyone here tried circular top down knitting?
    Am fairly beginner in my range of skills and experience but am eyeing up the lovely interchangeable needle set with the coloured marbled wood can't remember the name now and am thinking of doing some tote sling bags and simple hats as well as a wide neck a line dead simple sweater in plain knit. Do these seem ok? To a beginner? Any tips? I wanted to do one of the bags in linen in a fine weight. Does anyone know where I can go to touch and buy this in Ireland preferably Dublin? I only seem to be finding cheap dks and acrylics in stores though perhaps and hopefully have just not being paying proper attention or going to the right places. Also, side to side knitting, anyone tried? For sweater for example?

I think these are in Dublin:
    http://winniethewoolwagon.com/index.php/home
    http://www.theconstantknitter.ie/contact-opening-hours
    https://www.springwools.com/contact-and-location
    All stock good quality yarns as I've bought from all. Not cheap, but at least you'll get better than acrylic.

I have lavender bags in the wardrobe, but I thought it was just a nice smell, so don't know if works for moths.
    What's side to side knitting? Is that starting at one side as your bottom row?
    Normal sweater knitting is fine, goes faster if you have larger needles :) I did one with 6.5mm and lovely thick wool. Took about 2 months for a long cardigan. I would recommend blocking though before sewing the pieces together. I only found that out after I'd done mine and it was a tiny bit uneven. You can't tell to look, but I know it's there... :cool:

briscotti wrote: »
    Hi all! Love this thread!
    Hmmm...needle storage...Pringles tube?
    Design a wrap exactly like ye need?

Yarn storage I second under bed shoe storage bag. Or else a blanket box if ye have loads?
    Lavendar for moth deterrent? Does that work? Have I just made that up??

Am fairly beginner in my range of skills and experience but am eyeing up the lovely interchangeable needle set with the coloured marbled wood can't remember the name now and am thinking of doing some tote sling bags and simple hats as well as a wide neck a line dead simple sweater in plain knit. Do these seem ok? To a beginner? Any tips? I wanted to do one of the bags in linen in a fine weight. Does anyone know where I can go to touch and buy this in Ireland preferably Dublin? I only seem to be finding cheap dks and acrylics in stores though perhaps and hopefully have just not being paying proper attention or going to the right places. Also, side to side knitting, anyone tried? For sweater for example?

I would love interchangeable ones but for the time being I have a few plastic sets of circulars and I hate them, but love the idea of a top down sweater / cardi. Its the next project after the one I have to make up. Its this:

http://www.knittingfool.com/SweaterPatterns/TopDownRaglanPullover.aspx

just have to get my finger out. Its the magic circle lark that I have to do when doing the neck that puts me off.

If it doesn't materialise, I'll try this one, as its smaller.

http://dabbletree.vrya.net/content.php?p=25

• Advertisement

Why do you need to do the magic circle for the neck?
    I'm sure you can just as easily use DPNs, which would be my personal preference. It's only a pain for the first 2-3 rounds to keep it straight, after that it goes a bit more smoothly...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭witchity2

briscotti wrote: »
    Am fairly beginner in my range of skills and experience but am eyeing up the lovely interchangeable needle set with the coloured marbled wood can't remember the name now and am thinking of doing some tote sling bags and simple hats as well as a wide neck a line dead simple sweater in plain knit. Do these seem ok? To a beginner? Any tips? I wanted to do one of the bags in linen in a fine weight. Does anyone know where I can go to touch and buy this in Ireland preferably Dublin? I only seem to be finding cheap dks and acrylics in stores though perhaps and hopefully have just not being paying proper attention or going to the right places.

I bought those needles and LOVE them (can't remember the name). They are pretty pricey though!! I've a fairly newish knitter and love using them. First thing I made was mittens, hats and two pairs of kids socks.

Have you tried This is Knit in Powerscourt? I always find them very good.

I dont have a set of DPN in 5mm!

wmpdd3 wrote: »

You'll have to go shopping so!!

Get 'em on eBay! Much cheaper...

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Tideswell

Morning All - I have heaps of left over balls of wool from various projects. Anyone got any ideas on how I can use these up?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Tideswell wrote: »
    Morning All - I have heaps of left over balls of wool from various projects. Anyone got any ideas on how I can use these up?
    Thanks

How about patches for cushion covers or small toys/ headbands if you know any kids who might like them?

Can't remember where I saw it but someone use them to make hexagonal mats joined together... Basically looks like colourful patchwork. Generally can be made into blankets or rugs.

PS: Quilt using hexapuffs http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/the-beekeepers-quilt

wmpdd3 wrote: »

I've bought off this guy on ebay:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bamboo-Double-Pointed-Knitting-Needles-Sock-DPN-20cm-8-long-set-of-5-/270940503119?pt=UK_Crafts_Knitting_Crochet_EH&var=&hash=item3f154ffc4f

Worked out cheap enough and they ship fairly quick too.

• Advertisement

Hexipuffs for extra wool are the way to go :)

Advertisement