Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉNL Saorview-DTT Public Information

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Teddy455

I was in Bandon in West Cork this morning and noticed a shop called Pure Vision (I think that is what it was called but not sure.) on Market Street. It has replaced the Sky shop which was previously at that retail unit. It said on the shop front Free To Air Satelitte + DTT. Are Pure Vision a official registered installer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭liamtech

I suspect that TV3 are throwing shapes to persuade the dept to waive any fees so that their free ride will continue indefinitely. They are great at looking for, and getting, free rides.

Why should RTE pay for TV3?

Well im not saying they should - But if they want to they should consider this:

-Saorview needs a solid channel lineup - rte1&2 along with 3 RTE based repeat stations and an Irish language platform isn't enough

-RTE are only running the platform because no commercial organization wanted anything to do with it (says something doesnt it) - some third party non RTE material would go along way toward balancing the service ion the eyes of the public - otherwise they should rename it SaoRTE - A monopoly in the truest sense of the word

-RTE gets massive funding from the license payer and squanders vast amounts of this on paying a few presenters more money than Barack Obama -

-Its recessionary times and all broadcasters will try their best to get a deal - give TV3 a break and cut a deal - The addition of 3e is a massive incentive to buyers, as so far its the only station that is not Free To Air on any other platform -

-RTE need to remember that while Saorview would benefit form the inclusion of TV3 & 3e, Said TV stations are not gagging to be on Saorview - Most of they're viewers are watching via UPC & SKY. Therefore they're current figures will remain largely unaffected by Saorview - while they could gain some numbers, it may not be worth the expense -

My main point is that RTE is in a position to push saorview to the people and it stands a much better chance of being adopted if TV3 and especially 3e are included -

You may begin slagging and attacking me from all directions... BUT I BEG YOU... SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN :eek:

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

liamtech wrote: »
    -Saorview needs a solid channel lineup - rte1&2 along with 3 RTE based repeat stations and an Irish language platform isn't enough:

Let TV3 ASO right now if that is how they feel. BTW its 4 RTÉ channels and TG4. Sin é.
    -RTE are only running the platform because no commercial organization wanted anything to do with it (says something doesnt it) - some third party non RTE material would go along way toward balancing the service ion the eyes of the public - otherwise they should rename it SaoRTE - A monopoly in the truest sense of the word

You could say RTÉ are providing a public service since they get the licence fee. The private invester like TV3 in a very real way wanted a free ride, again we can go back to Ray Burke and Centry Radio if we really wanted bring up history.
    -RTE gets massive funding from the license payer and squanders vast amounts of this on paying a few presenters more money than Barack Obama -

I agree as most people do that 5 or 6 of RTÉ presenters are paid too much. But this has nothing to do with DTT or DAB.
    -Its recessionary times and all broadcasters will try their best to get a deal - give TV3 a break and cut a deal - The addition of 3e is a massive incentive to buyers, as so far its the only station that is not Free To Air on any other platform -

3e might be a huge disappointment, it is barely a choice. But TV3 are getting a deal out of this. Public money has been spent on the infrastructure. TV3 haven't had to provide any money towards its role out, and until such time as the Dept or BAI or whomever see fit TV3 and 3e get free digital carriage. With Digital TV3 will see a significant reduction in the price it pays to be on RTÉ NL from analogue while putting 3e on the system still won't bring them up to their current analogue costs. None of the Irish channels are FTA on any platform but RTÉNL.
    -RTE need to remember that while Saorview would benefit form the inclusion of TV3 & 3e, Said TV stations are not gagging to be on Saorview - Most of they're viewers are watching via UPC & SKY. Therefore they're current figures will remain largely unaffected by Saorview - while they could gain some numbers, it may not be worth the expense -
    k

3e would see an increase in audience share. It may not be significant but for those watching on FTA Satellite, Analogue and via an extra bedroom TV will mean that TV3 will have futher coverage, and it won't cost them as much as the current Analogue service. As 3e is currently the only extra channel on Saorview I could see its audience share increase dramatically over the next year or so = More Ad revenue. (It currently has 1.4% share).

Digital is cheaper and more efficient for TV3 and they will benefit from a massive amount of funding coming from the public.

TV3 are kicking up a fuss about nothing. The Department and Min Carey gave them what they wanted. No ads on RTÉ News Now and RTÉ Jr and a temporary +1 service from RTÉ none of which will effect TV3 advertising. Its time for some new companies to appear TV3 and RTÉ currently live in a TV duopoly.

Everything you've said is correct Elmo, and TV3 doing a ASO now would be brilliant, and would encourage people to switchover to saorview -

But TV3 and 3e are important to the line-up, and if that means giving them carriage at a cut down rate, then to be honest i reckon its worth it - Besides IF RTE can afford to waste License payer money on Miriam "im not payed enough" Calahan, and Ryan "Im doing so well aren't I" Tubridy, then why not share the wealth - Id rather loose both of these Turnip's then loose Vinny Brown every night! :mad:

Everything you've said is correct Elmo, and TV3 doing a ASO now would be brilliant, and would encourage people to switchover to saorview -

But TV3 and 3e are important to the line-up, and if that means giving them carriage at a cut down rate, then to be honest i reckon its worth it - Besides IF RTE can afford to waste License payer money on Miriam "im not payed enough" Calahan, and Ryan "Im doing so well aren't I" Tubridy, then why not share the wealth - Id rather loose both of these Turnip's then loose Vinny Brown every night! :mad:

Well then let RTÉ News Now carry advertising and let RTÉ Plus being broadcasting because I think both service will bring the audience to Saorview as will RTÉ 2 HD and RTÉjr. And maybe other FTA Irish channel that appear in the future.

Perhaps give TV3 one more channel and TG4 an extra commercial channel. It can't all just be about TV3 and RTÉ

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    Well then let RTÉ News Now carry advertising and let RTÉ Plus being broadcasting because I think both service will bring the audience to Saorview as will RTÉ 2 HD and RTÉjr. And maybe other FTA Irish channel that appear in the future.

Perhaps give TV3 one more channel and TG4 an extra commercial channel. It can't all just be about TV3 and RTÉ

Honestly we are all singing different verses from the same sheet - I would love to see more channels - RTE3, TV3HD, Irish Film Channel, Oireachtas Channel, etc and anyone else who cares to set up a channel - the more the merrier and the better the line-up-

For now we have to be logical and say that TV3 and 3e are the only true Irish alternative to RTE - and i feel the service needs their inclusion

what about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Channel_%28Dublin%29

Used to be owned by NTL but its independant now - of course RTE would probably have to pay for their carriage -

For now we have to be logical and say that TV3 and 3e are the only true Irish alternative to RTE - and i feel the service needs their inclusion

And that just leads to defacto problems in the future. They will have a hard time letting go of RTÉ 1+1 in 4 years time because of the audience who will have grown accustomed to it.

I can't really see their "true" "Irish" alternative TBH. Even VB doesn't cut it as pointed out some expensive prime time shows wouldn't go a miss.
    what about

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Channel_%28Dublin%29

Used to be owned by NTL but its independant now - of course RTE would probably have to pay for their carriage -

When did they sell it on? DCTV or CCTV or a variety of local channel could appear on the service.

And that just leads to defacto problems in the future. They will have a hard time letting go of RTÉ 1+1 in 4 years time because of the audience who will have grown accustomed to it.

I can't really see their "true" "Irish" alternative TBH. Even VB doesn't cut it as pointed out some expensive prime time shows wouldn't go a miss.

When did they sell it on? DCTV or CCTV or a variety of local channel could appear on the service.

DCTV or CCTV are to poor to pay for carriage.

I could be wrong, but i though it was sold when UPC took over NTL - could be wrong now.

Perhaps im blissfully unaware of something, but could you please tell me why RTE+1 will be vanishing in 4 years? i wasnt aware of this?

• Advertisement

Teddy455 wrote: »

Ah but they are public services and with a little imagination they could form a community co-op. Indeed they might just fit on the service for 4 hours rather then on Channel 800 and something for 24hours. Might make for a better community service.
    I could be wrong, but i though it was sold when UPC took over NTL - could be wrong now.

Perhaps im blissfully unaware of something, but could you please tell me why RTE+1 will be vanishing in 4 years? i wasnt aware of this?

Ah sorry I don't think NTL ever had anything do do with City, I think UPC bought into the service.
    7. RTÉ Plus: Phase 1 only is approved and for a period of 4 years only until February 2014

Why does no one believe me? why?

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/Press+Releases/Minister+Carey+Issues+Consent+for+New+RT%C3%89+Services.htm

Pat Carey Minister at the time signed the contract for 4 year contract.

Unless they are subsidized by a wealthy TV station, perhaps, oh i dunno, a station with more money than sense; which is payed far to much by the public and worse still, squanders these resources - but where to find such a station?:(

Having community services would be great and would really boost the service around the country -

I cant help seeing a slight parallel between RTE VS TV3(and other assorted local stations) and the whole Aerlingus VS Ryanair argument - all of these State owned and semi-state (and former state owned for that matter) seem to have a far easier time getting what they want - while organizations seen as competitors to these Tricolor Flying flagships always have to fight and scream for service... and even then are accused of being second rate and unworthy of mention... VERY IRISH isnt it

Once again im prepared for the onslaught of card carrying RTE supporters to start the final offensive on little old me :( - "RTE are great", "without RTE Ireland wouldn't have DTT"... etc etc -

• Registered Users Posts: 15,523 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Reports of its demise are greatly exaggerated. All the recently approved services have to be reviewed in Feb 2014 and report to the Minister by Jun 2014. It could be around for many years to come or maybe the format could be changed after the review.
    6. All the approved services and channels shall be reviewed by RTÉ within 4 years
    (i.e. no later than February 2014) and a report on these reviews shall be submitted
    to the Minister by June 2014 at the latest. This review shall, interalia, study the
    continuing need for these services and channels in light of technology and societal
    developments and the potential for enhancing the public service value of these
    services and channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I was in Bandon in West Cork this morning and noticed a shop called Pure Vision (I think that is what it was called but not sure.) on Market Street. It has replaced the Sky shop which was previously at that retail unit. It said on the shop front Free To Air Satelitte + DTT. Are Pure Vision a official registered installer?

The only thing even close to Official in Ireland for Installers is the ISAA

How come Setanta get away with this - They shouldn't receive any funding unless their broadcasting in the clear free to air- freeview means it is only viewable with a sky subscription - granted it is viewable to any sky viewer in ireland -

Folks that really isnt fair and is entirely unjust -

We checked it out here on boards you don't need a sky subscription or a sky Digi box. Setanta does provide FTA hours but I still agree with you I don't think a Pay TV provider should be able to avail of these funds unless they have an FTA channel.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70220925

**** should really read responses to my threads more careful seems you right you do need a Sky card to access Setanta Freeview. Even worse then I expected.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

All these decisions tend to be against RTE to provide freebies to private operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Saw the first ad regarding Saorview during Winning Streak(not my choice of viewing),at least they are targeting the demographic that least understand DTT,in fairness the ad was easy to follow and explained what was happening in laymans terms.

It's straight forward to move all these posts to a new Thread in Broadcasting. No doubt this may happen later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

By stipulating that RTE2HD should go on mux 2 by September, Carey has made it necessary for RTENL to fire up the 2nd mux, so doubling the transmission cost of Saorview. As a consequence of that, there will be one mux capacity spare unless it is filled by new channels (as all scheduled channels fit on the current mux).

Is this a ploy to force RTENL to give away transmission charges to small outfits that have a camcorder and a church hall at their disposal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That radio ad highlights the name chosen for this service is probably an error "...or visit sereview.ie" or is it serview or is it surview or is it saorview etc. First rule of marketing in the internet age adopt a name you can accurately type as its sounds.

Of course they SHOULD have registered all the similar sounding names and DNS to saorview.ie
    Firefox can't find the server at www.sereview.ie.

I really this this is a moot point realistically people will get used to the brand like any other brand. It isn't helpful for a brand to be spelling itself differently. Perhaps I have too much Irish as I type Saor as Saor, cior perhaps? but not Sur or Sere

Sair perhaps.

Anyway it's SAORVIEW. perhas Saorfís would have been best with service.ie as a domain.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

mike65 wrote: »
    That radio ad highlights the name chosen for this service is probably an error "...or visit sereview.ie" or is it serview or is it surview or is it saorview etc. First rule of marketing in the internet age adopt a name you can accurately type as its sounds.

I think most Irish people would go for saor straight away Mike. It is 'as it sounds' for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Okay message received this blow-in is wrong

• Subscribers Posts: 16,578 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

mike65 wrote: »
    Okay message received this blow-in is wrong

didn't mean it like that:p! just that it's a very familiar sound/spelling when you've lived with up to 14 years of compulsory Irish..

Interesting point re the possible issues with the large number of people now living in Ireland without the benefit of that background

At least they did not make the mistake that the UK did with Freeview and Freeview HD, as it is easy to drop the significance of the seperate, floating HD. They would be better to have chosen FreeHDview, as that way the emphasis is on the Free HD, and there is no way of dropping the HD.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

watty wrote: »
    It's straight forward to move all these posts to a new Thread in Broadcasting. No doubt this may happen later.

Figured out how to do it eventually, new thread here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056215592

By stipulating that RTE2HD should go on mux 2 by September, Carey has made it necessary for RTENL to fire up the 2nd mux, so doubling the transmission cost of Saorview. As a consequence of that, there will be one mux capacity spare unless it is filled by new channels (as all scheduled channels fit on the current mux).

Is this a ploy to force RTENL to give away transmission charges to small outfits that have a camcorder and a church hall at their disposal?
    It's more likely a "minister" who didn't knbow what he was doing about to leave office,soon to lose his seat being handed a whole heap of papers by civil servants and signing and stamping them.
    Stupid really.

• Advertisement

It's more likely a "minister" who didn't knbow what he was doing about to leave office,soon to lose his seat being handed a whole heap of papers by civil servants and signing and stamping them.
    Stupid really.

Are you saying the minister was stupid or the system is stupid, or the papers he signed had stupid actions that should not have been signed? Or all three?

Advertisement