Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Let's see the damage then!

Options
  • 27-02-2011 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

Sweeper's post gave me the idea to start this thread. Let's see the damage then but I must warn you that I doubt highly any damages caused by your pooches can beat this:

181943_10150112907215889_169411475888_6477654_2384516_n.jpg

... and no, it wasn't a Bull Breed :D.

Come on then and share your horror stories about canine weapons of mass destruction, pics are most welcome ;).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

I haven't got any pictures of mine I think. I'm usually too busy weeping.

Though I did see a similar thread on another forum from someone with Huskies / Mals - they ate through a wall. Seriously. An actual hole in the actual wall. Baffling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭pitbull_fanatic

no pics either but when my pitbull was younger i had him in the hall. half an hour later i came home to find him asleep on the couch...he litrally ate through the door...not goot in a rental accomodation!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

EGAR wrote: »
    Sweeper's post gave me the idea to start this thread. Let's see the damage then but I must warn you that I doubt highly any damages caused by your pooches can beat this:

181943_10150112907215889_169411475888_6477654_2384516_n.jpg

... and no, it wasn't a Bull Breed :D.

Come on then and share your horror stories about canine weapons of mass destruction, pics are most welcome ;).

Ohhhh. I laughed! Sorry!! Was it a Terrier? Oh no though! Your car!!!!?

My darling Boo(a bitsa/terrier-ish) ate through the newl posts/bannisters 10 years ago..he's lying here beside me now and I still need a carpenter.LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

not our dogs fault really but after he severed a vein in his leg, we had to throw out a duvet, a pillow, eletric blanket, a dog bed, 2 pairs of tracksuit bottoms pair of runner and 4 towels and a floor mat oh and a t shirt

Tasty dashboard, omnomnomnom...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

Oh my effing GOD egar, how the hell much will that cost to fix??!!

Jeez I thought my chewed door, skirting boards & ripped up carpet were bad but **** :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Worse damage ever done was a few chewed skirting boards, blankets and missing kitchen utensils

/smugness

*waits to go downstairs to find something destroyed due to above smugness*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭SophieSakura

The only real damage we ever had was from a cat who loved chewing phone chargers (when they weren't plugged in!) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Yes, my van :(. I have no idea how much that will cost to repair and am currently looking behind cushions and down the back of the couch for more money *fat chance*.

The damage was caused within NOT even half an hour, both windows half open, so he could have easily jumped out and he wagged his tail happily when I opened the door and didn't even try to get out...

If I was ever tempted..... :D it was there and then. Living in the middle of nowhere doesn't help when your transport is half eaten. I cried for 2 hours flat.

*He* is a Pointer...

I am well used to eaten remote controls, phone chargers etc but that is taking the p***.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Tony H

My golden retriever Joey was in the back seat of the wife's yaris [he was about 4 months old at the time ] he went under the passenger seat and shredded all the air bag sensors , total cost was nearly 3000 euro .

• Advertisement

That reminds me, my old boss from years ago got himself a new labrador pup when his old and faithful labrador was getting on in years. Drove down to the newsagent one day and in the time it took him to buy the newspaper the then-adolescent lab had eaten five grand's worth of his alfa romeo...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

my collie cocker cross is generally good. she has eaten a few buttons off the remote control, sometimes thinks trainers are her toys. but other than that she is fine. (oh except for a favourite pair of my shoes when she was 5mths old!)

now my yorkie cross!!! that will chew ANYTHING. quite likes nailfiles out of handbags, has chewed shoes and allsorts. however the massive hole that she chewed in the bedroom door is the worst. swopped out the door and now she is trying to start a hole in the new one!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

I will never give out about about my dog again he has never eaten anything hes just not that sort of dog

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Just 1 doggy toothbrush here! Bristles were coming out the other end for days! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

No pics either but we closed my old lab in the back hall once when there was a particularly bad thunderstorm and came down the next morning to find wee and poo all up the kitchen walls a massive hole in the hall door and all the plaster board in the hall wall in bits on the floor. I think my dad must have fixed the wall himself because it wasn't partiularly well done. Skirting board never got replaced.

Ohh and he must have done the whole thing extremely quietly because no-one heard a peep the whole night.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

EGAR nobody could match that
    However we have had our fair share of damage here too...

Cushions - too numerous to mention
    Dog beds - at least a dozen
    Towels & tea towels - many
    flower pots
    the corner of a wall
    4 corners of a fabulous cream coffee table
    a block of yeast (very expensive trip to the vet and not funny)
    a piping bag
    my favourite grey hat which I cried over
    2 birthday cakes
    soft toys
    socks
    dustban & brush x 4
    a set of speakers for the computer
    christmas decorations
    my copy of "Marley & Me"
    telephone directories x 3
    2 x cookbooks
    1 x plant care manual

I'm sure I'll think of more!!

Incidentally, Gus's favourite toy at the moment is one of my husband's 'holeproof explorer' socks. It's a major testament to the makers that it's still intact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 newbride11

Wow, I'm shocked!

My girl chews socks, shoes, the kitchen table, phones, cushions, bras etc.

She's getting better than what she was but I think that's down to me putting everything out of paws reach.

I once had her in the car though & I always put her seat belt on her in the back seat. Now when she has the seatbelt on she can't reach forward to the front of the car. But one day I had to run into a friends house to collect something & was only gone ten minutes. In that ten minutes she had taken my wallet & half ate/ half chewed a €20 & a €50 euro note out of my wallet. It's still beyond me how she actually managed to get it as it was well out of her reach.

The next poo she took was probably the most expensive she ever had :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

My two have been very good, they aren't really chewers, but they do like to shred paper.
    All kinds of paper.
    I once came home to find they had shredded a pack of toilet rolls, 15 rolls:eek:
    Looked like it had snowed in my kitchen, very pretty.
    I have watched them and their chosen method seems to be hold the paper with the mouth and tear with the claws. They never eat it, just spit it out if it gets in their mouths.

My friend in the UK had a dog that liked to chew, he ate the table legs and chairs, skirting boards, windowsills etc.
    She thought she'd broken the habit as if she saw him start, she said no and he ran under her bed to hide.
    Then one day she bought home a guy she'd been seeing for a while, things were heating up and they headed to the bedroom, then suddenly the bed collapsed in a heap.
    Doggy had chewed through the slats under the mattress and the legs on the far side against the wall too.
    Bit of a passion killer, luckily he saw the funny side.
    Although when they moved in together he banned the dog from the bedroom.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

I put a lot of work into building a nice high secure fence at the front of our garden when we got our gsd ruby....however ruby decided she'd like to eat her way through it one afternoon!!

Aside that from that she's pretty good...every now and then some plants or shrubs get pulled up by the roots and flung around the garden, or a poor teddy becomes a casualty as this poor fella did. As a fella I did a lot of wincing when I saw the damage this poor chap suffered!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

@kopfan77
    From a males point of view that first picture looks very painful...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

No pics and not caused by a dog, but Shirley, my Syrian hamster, has shredded a decent part of a throw (like you'd put on a couch) and a fair bit of a towel when they were accidentally left beside her cage. I got an awful fright when I saw the stuff in there, thought she was dead, but then I realised she'd made a new bed for herself. The first time was an accident, we had no idea she would be able to pull stuff in through the tiny bars of her cage like that and chew it. The second time was my partner's fault - she had been warned not to put stuff there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

Nile rats of mine escaped & ate all the wires in what became my bedroom! Took a lot to fix that damaged! Hamster chewed my window - annoying chewed marks!

When I was a kid we had a massive Rottweiller called Baron at a year he weighed 13 stone - massive dog! More like a pony! He ate the inside of the couch did not get any wadding on the floor & put the cusions back on! He also smashed 2 windows trying to get out & with his paws pushed all broken glass out before he jumped. Very aggressive dog! He was trained before we got him to attacked black people! Bit of a bugger when several of my school mates were black! Mum used to give him massive knuckle bones from cows - he smashed them with 1 bite! Big big dog! Gave him away in the end he was too big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

Milly our 6 month golden lab loves to chew. so far she has got

My other halfs Thesis book
    Pair of Sunglasses
    Skirting boards
    Bottom legs of kitched chairs
    Door off the tumble dryer ( found her in it!)
    Kitchen utensils
    All the leather place matts
    Phone chargers
    Galaxy Tab charger
    Her plastic bed

Attached are photos of the damage done

to the carpet
    to her new bed ( had it 2 days)

oh and she just boxed my in the eye .... will post picture of black eye tomorrow:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

The worst that happened with our dog was chewing through the phone cable.

He also stained the carpet as he used to go behind the sofa as a pup and poo there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Well she certainly looks very happy about how she's customised her bed!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Groom! wrote: »
    EGAR nobody could match that
    However we have had our fair share of damage here too...

a block of yeast (very expensive trip to the vet and not funny)

I'm sure I'll think of more!!

I have to ask - what happened. I can't imagine it was fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

dan_d wrote: »
    Well she certainly looks very happy about how she's customised her bed!!:rolleyes:

yep and she wonders why her big comfy bed has been taken away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Nollipop

When I first took on my Dad's dog (ancient collie cross) I was worried about leaving him as he followed me from room to room (major separation anxiety) so as I was building up the time he was left, I shut him in the room I thought he was least likely to damage: the kitchen.

I came back after 30 minutes to find:

The gas oven overturned and oven door handle smashed off.

The inside of the back door scratched and eaten.

The wooden bit of door surround ripped off the wall (along with wallpaper and plaster) and chewed.

Tiles smashed off the wall.

Laminate floor scratched.

It was a rented house and I had to DiY it the best I could, with help from my friends. The next day I bought a baby gate to keep him out of the kitchen and away from the door!

He got over the sep anx eventually. Well, after about 5 months...:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

No photo but my gsd x akita wreaked my motorbike once, knocked it over damaging the tank then went to town on the seat/tax disk/any plastic part he could get at.
    It's still garaged at my mother's as I never had the money to fix it up. Not looking likely any time soon either as I'm in Oz.

Advertisement