Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF want to become an All-Ireland Party

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

They see that Sinn Fein are their biggest rivals right now, so they're trying to steal their identity. Totally cynical and totally laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I would love to see FF try. Im sure the north have been following events from down here in the south. There isn't a hope in hell northern ireland will allow FF to bankrupt their counties. I want to see FF try to take over the north so that the people can send a FCUK OFF message to FF.

i don't think for one second that FF believe that they will pick up votes in the North, but i'd bet cash money that they believe that if they are seen to be 'organising' in the north and banging this 'the republican party' drum (however ridiculous that may be) they will pick up votes in the South.

utterly see through, but i'd lay odds on it working to some degree or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

They are already registered as a party in Northern Ireland. They wanted to extend speaking rights to NI MP's and MLA's. They had a planned merger with SDLP that was shelved.

This does not surprise me in the slightest. If its going back to its roots it wants to serve the people of this Island as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

darragh16 wrote: »
    They are already registered as a party in Northern Ireland. They wanted to extend speaking rights to NI MP's and MLA's. They had a planned merger with SDLP that was shelved.

This does not surprise me in the slightest. If its going back to its roots it wants to serve the people of this Island as a whole.

Why would a centre-right wing party want to merge with the centre-left Social Democratic & Labour Party?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭darragh16

Why would a centre-right wing party want to merge with the centre-left Social Democratic & Labour Party?

Because Fianna Fail have generally been a centist party, some left leaning and some right-leaning policies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Maybe they're going back to their roots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Because Fianna Fail have generally been a centist party, some left leaning and some right-leaning policies.

or to put it another way, devoid of principles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

It's most amusing. They kept 'the republican party' moniker on the down low in the mid-nineties and are now resurrecting it in a lame last ditch effort to have some reason for being.
    It has even been accepted by FFail supporters that they are a populist party who will change a viewpoint for a vote. So now they have little or no power, they struggle for a reason to open the HQ offices of a morning.
    Trying to cash in on any united Ireland sentiment is an insult to people who have been genuinely seeking it and will be seen as that by all walks.
    Also they seem to be hanging up their progressive line of drivel for some old school civil war politics, if they get a few votes out of it.
    Just as voters like politicians telling them what they want to hear, we'll always have FFail, just not for a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

A populist/peasant party, I think you mean. Centrists actually have a sort of ideology. Populists go where they think they might get votes - hence Fianna Failure's bizarre policies in the last decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Canvasser wrote: »
    I think it's a good idea as we could easily compete with sinn fein up there and use it as a base to be back in power in time for the 1916 rising.
    Um...I knew FFailure were a bit behind the times, but this is ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

There going to take on Sinn Fein on their turf, I wish them the best of luck with that one.

Its not the wrost idea. The people of West Belfast are none to happy with Adams moving to Louth to live

It's most amusing. They kept 'the republican party' moniker on the down low in the mid-nineties and are now resurrecting it in a lame last ditch effort to have some reason for being.
    It has even been accepted by FFail supporters that they are a populist party who will change a viewpoint for a vote. So now they have little or no power, they struggle for a reason to open the HQ offices of a morning.
    Trying to cash in on any united Ireland sentiment is an insult to people who have been genuinely seeking it and will be seen as that by all walks.
    Also they seem to be hanging up their progressive line of drivel for some old school civil war politics, if they get a few votes out of it.
    Just as voters like politicians telling them what they want to hear, we'll always have FFail, just not for a while.

I think FF have done more to reconsile NI over the years than other party.... Including SF. If it were not for he work of FF on the peace process SF would still be bombing and murdering its way to democracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Shea O'Meara

Fitzerb wrote: »
    I think FF have done more to reconsile NI over the years than other party.... Including SF. If it were not for he work of FF on the peace process SF would still be bombing and murdering its way to democracy

Not so. Sinn Fein were having secret talks with the British long before FFail went along for the ride. They played the role, in respect to the north, like any party that was in power would have.
    If you think they had any stronger hand in it and/or Sinn Fein took their lead, you are deluded.
    Also working for peace and picking up the flag for a good aul' united Ireland wave are completely different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭FF and proud

Ah sure its about time, sure isnt Fianna Fail the party of the Irish after all. Dont be letting one election however bad make you think that Fianna Fail are gone. Now I will admit that it was a bit of a bad result there, but these things happen.

Sure ive told a few people myself isnt it better to take time out and reform and let the people see that them Fine Gael people can do no better with the current global recession that some people have been blaming on the party.

A sad day, but sure reform might not be such a bad thing altogether and starting up the North would be good to get back on track for 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

lol Fianna Fail claim to be a a republican party yet they handed sovereignty over to the IMF/Germans.... FF should disband

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

Absolutely right. The thread title is inaccurate, FF have been an 'all-Ireland' party since 2007 when they registered with the UK electoral commission. They've even recruited a former UUP councillor (and retired RIR/UDR Colonel), Harvey Bicker (OBE TD -- different sort of TD ...), and that was in 2008:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/7260556.stm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Oh dear. Mr Martin seems to think that his gaffe in the 5way debate has gone unnoticed - 'how dare you come down here and preach' he says to Mr Adams, betraying his partionist mindset.
    He and FF are not republicans, they use it as a tagline on their posters and as a handy, populist rallycry in desperate times (their own internal party desperate times)

As someone else said - FF, just go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭shefra

lol Fianna Fail claim to be a a republican party yet they handed sovereignty over to the IMF/Germans.... FF should disband
    Totally agree

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

This should not come as a surprise at all, as it has been on the cards for the last decade. FF launched Ógra in the North with the intention of having party members ready to contest elections. Ógra was officially launched in the North in 2008 but FF organising in the North was pushed off the agenda when the financial crisis emerged. FF will be reorganising in the South after the election and the chances are it will organise in the North simultaneously to make it an all Ireland party. Looking like the North is being put back on the agenda for FF.

ah, like Dev and Haughey before him, when the economy is bust and they have no more relevance, trust Fianna Fáil to rediscover their republican green roots and turn green on northern ireland as a means of relevancy. Whilst I would always conmend all Southern parties to try and franchise into a true all ireland constituency, this wreks. But, if I was Martin, I would do the same, people have slow memories. It would probably help those who have lost faith in the SDLP but would never vote SF. As long as it does not split the Nationalist/ Republican vote

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Ah sure its about time, sure isnt Fianna Fail the party of the Irish after all. Dont be letting one election however bad make you think that Fianna Fail are gone. Now I will admit that it was a bit of a bad result there, but these things happen.

Sure ive told a few people myself isnt it better to take time out and reform and let the people see that them Fine Gael people can do no better with the current global recession that some people have been blaming on the party.

A sad day, but sure reform might not be such a bad thing altogether and starting up the North would be good to get back on track for 2016.

Whilst I fully believe that FF will be back by the 2020's, I think 2016 is a tad bit hopefull, they should do well in locals (could not get any worse) but there is a lot to do. I say it will rip the hearts of die hard FF's that Fine Gael will possibly (no guarantee) head the procession for 2016 centenary. I really hope Enda does not do a complete Bruton win Mrs Windsor heads over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Can Gerry Adams now describe Micheal Martin as being from 'down there' in future TV debates?

Would be funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

At least it will unite Ireland. We will hate them north and south of the border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

gambiaman wrote: »
    Oh dear. Mr Martin seems to think that his gaffe in the 5way debate has gone unnoticed - 'how dare you come down here and preach' he says to Mr Adams, betraying his partionist mindset.
    He and FF are not republicans, they use it as a tagline on their posters and as a handy, populist rallycry in desperate times (their own internal party desperate times)

It was particularily dubious, seeing as FF members have been 'volunteering' up North for the SDLP during elections, over a number of years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

No they don't, This has never happened to FF before, And they are unlikely to ever be in a position for it to happen again.

FF may not be gone, but it is pure delusion to think that FF can reverse the conpleat disaster that this election was in the space of 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Sure ive told a few people myself isnt it better to take time out and reform

When did you start coming round to the idea of reform? Ah sure good luck with it anyway.

ah, like Dev and Haughey before him, when the economy is bust and they have no more relevance,

I think there are some facts worth checking before your forward such inaccurate posts.
    Haughey came after Dev.
    Are you suggesting that Dev walked away from politics because we were broke………………… That is so of the wall its not even worth a response.
    I really suggest that you apologise for such a post

Not so. Sinn Fein were having secret talks with the British long before FFail went along for the ride. They played the role, in respect to the north, like any party that was in power would have.
    If you think they had any stronger hand in it and/or Sinn Fein took their lead, you are deluded.
    Also working for peace and picking up the flag for a good aul' united Ireland wave are completely different things.

I think it’s important (as always) to deal in facts here.
    SF never had secret talks about the peace process or secret talks about bringing a final resolution to the NI conflict.
    I assume your post refers to the secret talks in Smyths Hotel in Freakle which was organised by an SIS officer called Oatley and a group of clergyman. The talks were “unknown” to the Irish Government and only known to the British Prime minster (Wilson) and his private secretary.
    The talks were arranged to introduce a cease fire and not a peace process. They were attended by members of the provisional army council, the clergy, SF, and Oakley. However the hotel was raided by the special branch causing the meeting to be abandoned. Since no Provo members were found inside it is difficult to establish who attended from the army council. It is suggested that R.O.B. and D.C were in attendance but they were suspicious on arrival and had a getaway plan if raided.
    The talks were an attempt by the British Government to destabilise the Provisional movement as the volunteers had no idea that the talks were taken place. The current leadership of SF (who were never in the IRA) were not involved in the talk and they have no relevance to the peace process delivered by FF in NI.
    While I can see from your previous negative posts that you have a mania for anti FF rhetoric I do think that any argument put forward should be factually based and not based on the normal anti FF rant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

gambiaman wrote: »

how is this so?
    that can be interpreted in many ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

Fitzerb wrote: »
    I think it’s important (as always) to deal in facts here.
    SF never had secret talks about the peace process or secret talks about bringing a final resolution to the NI conflict.
    I assume your post refers to the secret talks in Smyths Hotel in Freakle which was organised by an SIS officer called Oatley and a group of clergyman. The talks were “unknown” to the Irish Government and only known to the British Prime minster (Wilson) and his private secretary.
    The talks were arranged to introduce a cease fire and not a peace process. They were attended by members of the provisional army council, the clergy, SF, and Oakley. However the hotel was raided by the special branch causing the meeting to be abandoned. Since no Provo members were found inside it is difficult to establish who attended from the army council. It is suggested that R.O.B. and D.C were in attendance but they were suspicious on arrival and had a getaway plan if raided.
    The talks were an attempt by the British Government to destabilise the Provisional movement as the volunteers had no idea that the talks were taken place. The current leadership of SF (who were never in the IRA) were not involved in the talk and they have no relevance to the peace process delivered by FF in NI.
    While I can see from your previous negative posts that you have a mania for anti FF rhetoric I do think that any argument put forward should be factually based and not based on the normal anti FF rant.

he's talking about the rather more recent talks/negotiations/contact/whatever - which you obviously know nothing about.

and if you believe that the current leadership of SF - Gerry Adams and Martin McGuiness - were never members of the IRA then you need to sit down in a dark room and never emerge.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

shefra wrote: »
    Totally agree

so you agree that FF should disband and FF brought in the IMF deal?

1. it isnt up to you to decide if FF should disband unless of course you are a member of FF and I assume you aren't.
    2. It was not FF but the Dáil and Seanad who voted on the deal for the IMF/ EU bailout. the IMF by the way are the nicest part of the deal. It is the EU, British and ECB rates that are high not the IMF.
    3. The incoming government can renaige on the deal by not taking any of this money. If they don't they are ratifying the deal. If they decide otherwise ( and whether FG Labourget into government they will operate the deal this means they will have to get 82 billion elsewhere or have 82 billion in cuts. Going by that and assuming we get 82 billion from somewhere in five years time we will still owe at least 100 billion anyway. Mind you in the best days of the Celtic Tiger we owed 30 billion.

http://www.financialregulator.ie/publications/Documents/CBANK-Q4-REPORT.pdf
    table c.2.1

http://www.cso.ie/statistics/imfsummaryire.htm

http://www.ntma.ie/NationalDebt/levelOfDebt.php

Advertisement