Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF want to become an All-Ireland Party

Options
  • 27-02-2011 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

It seems after Fianna Fáil want to regroup in the North after their historic failure in the South. Something tells me that Fianna Fáil wants to wipe out Sinn Féin so they can regain seats in the here.

Michéal Martin says Fianna Fail may now look to Northern Ireland

FIANNA FAIL leader Michéal Martin has said that his decimated party is looking at entering the political scene in the North. He said the party was “actively considering” a move towards getting involved “on the ground” in Northern politics, although he denied that it would be as part of a merge with the SDLP.
    He told RTE’s Radio’s News at One:
    We are a republican party and we will advance that postition.

He said the party had taken on lots of work in peace and reconciliation and wanted to extend that participation.
    Martin, who yesterday retained his seat in Cork South Central, said the fundamental factor in Fianna Fail’s fall from grace in this general election was the economic recession, which he described as “the worst since 1928″. He said: “The impact of that is enormous and there is a wider range of issues as well, 15 years in power, all of that is cumulative…”
    The challenge for Fianna Fail now is to “remain a vital force” in Irish public and political life, he said. As for the role of the Fianna Fail TDs returned to the Dail – 15 have been elected so far – he said that they would be opposition, but not as the public had known it. He said:
    I picked up behind all of the anger that people undoubtedly have is that we must change the way we do politics. They don’t want opposition for the sake of opposition.

http://www.thejournal.ie/micheal-martin-says-fianna-fail-may-now-look-to-northern-ireland-2011-2/

*Sigh*

Will they ever just go away...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There going to take on Sinn Fein on their turf, I wish them the best of luck with that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I wonder if holed up in the Bunker on the 30th of April if Hitler considered launching an attack on the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭joulter

does he want to bring the imf to the north aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Good luck to Micheál Martin in his bid to take on SF and make FF an all Ireland party.
    If it is a merge with the SDLP then let's hope they return to former glory up north at the expense of SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bmarley

I think Micheal Martin has lost the plot. I don't think they'd entertain them in Northern Ireland after the damage they have done here. I think he should give up his seat after coming out with something like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭lucozader

FF have destroyed the south, now their mission is to bring the north to their knees as well

god help them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

FF can't look after 26 counties - and they want to take on-board more?
    Yea right. That will work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Best of luck to them, they will do sh!t though

If anyone in the SDLP has any sense, they will run a mile away from FF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I have the sense that the SDLP are a bit too honest to combine with FFailure - there would be a clash of cultures there as FFailure try to explain to them the ideas of dirty tricks, brown envelopes, adopting any position they think will get a vote, and having no principles other that to win power for its own sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

If he wants to try the north why doesn't he look into moving (him and his party and their supporters) to Spitzbergen. I hear it's nice this time of year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I could not believe it when he blamed the recession fot the voter backlash, as if his government did nothing wrong, made no mistakes, not to blame at all.

If he thinks northern voters are gullible, he's deluding himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

I could not believe it when he blamed the recession fot the voter backlash, as if his government did nothing wrong, made no mistakes, not to blame at all.

If he thinks northern voters are gullible, he's deluding himself.

Best thing FF can do is just go away...just like their old friends the pee dees

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

This should not come as a surprise at all, as it has been on the cards for the last decade. FF launched Ógra in the North with the intention of having party members ready to contest elections. Ógra was officially launched in the North in 2008 but FF organising in the North was pushed off the agenda when the financial crisis emerged. FF will be reorganising in the South after the election and the chances are it will organise in the North simultaneously to make it an all Ireland party. Looking like the North is being put back on the agenda for FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭UDAWINNER

this has to be a joke, the negative comments he made about northerners he made a while back will come back to haunt him

Aaaa sure when all else fails, chance your arm elsewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Canvasser

I think it's a good idea as we could easily compete with sinn fein up there and use it as a base to be back in power in time for the 1916 rising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Canvasser wrote: »
    I think it's a good idea as we could easily compete with sinn fein up there and use it as a base to be back in power in time for the 1916 rising.
    lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

About 95 years too late for that, no? ;)

Nah, this is an attempt to steal some headlines. FF are yesterday's men and will be starved of publicity. Besides, FF are broke, and I doubt they have the funds for it.

smcgiff wrote: »
    ...Besides, FF are broke, and I doubt they have the funds for it.

Good point. They are very broke.
    From that alone, its going to take them some time to recover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

Biggins wrote: »
    Good point. They are very broke.
    From that alone, its going to take them some time to recover.

Yeah very broke on real ideas to help the people. Plenty of ideas to hel[p their banker and developer friends though.

The people of the North won't be taken in so easily like the people in the south. They know chancers when they see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

:D:D:D

Is this random noise to galvanise the troops or FF's last throw of the dice before irrelevance and oblivion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

...Is this random noise to galvanise the troops or FF's last throw of the dice before irrelevance and oblivion?

i don't doubt that FF will be on their arse for a year, but lob in some horrific spending decisions, some cock-ops (every government makes them, why not FG?), and a bit of flag waving i'm afraid they will be back.

never underestimate the stupidity of the public when some otherwise utterly discredited politician starts banging the drum and whipping out the flag.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

So now that they are in the deepest pooh pooh the decide to become an all-Ireland party.

They might as well fool themselves as they are not fooling anybody else !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

OS119 wrote: »
    i don't doubt that FF will be on their arse for a year, but lob in some horrific spending decisions, some cock-ops (every government makes them, why not FG?), and a bit of flag waving i'm afraid they will be back.

never underestimate the stupidity of the public when some otherwise utterly discredited politician starts banging the drum and whipping out the flag.

I think this could be curtains for them as the driving force in Irish politics. Their support base has vanished, and was old and rural anyhow. They have no real talent coming through the ranks, look at the age profile of their candidates.

They need to rebuild from scratch. Operating on a 32 count basis might give them a slight boost, and its logical to do it now if they are ever going to do it, but the stoops are in as much trouble as they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Republican party my arse. Where were they over the past few decades while northern nationalists were being treated with utter contempt by the British establishment?

This is opportunistic bollocks. They understand that a large portion of their vote has gone to Sinn Féin. If they were really a Republican party, they would have engaged in the north far sooner. They didn't and as such, even the most hardened critic of Sinn Féin will agree that this is a hollow effort by Fianna Fáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭joulter

fianna fail claiming to be a republican party is fairly laughable. they let the nationalists in the north die on the vine for 50 years.

who are they trying to kid though. who would be stupid enough to have anything to do with them after they brought the imf here. what alternative would they market themselves as to differ from sf,sdlp or even the alliance party?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭whoopdedoo

It seems after Fianna Fáil want to regroup in the North after their historic failure in the South. Something tells me that Fianna Fáil wants to wipe out Sinn Féin so they can regain seats in the here.

http://www.thejournal.ie/micheal-martin-says-fianna-fail-may-now-look-to-northern-ireland-2011-2/

*Sigh*

just do what I do and jump straight onto their website and send them an email, a fair few mo fos have got mails of me the past few months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

I would love to see FF try. Im sure the north have been following events from down here in the south. There isn't a hope in hell northern ireland will allow FF to bankrupt their counties. I want to see FF try to take over the north so that the people can send a FCUK OFF message to FF.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

ooh-matron.jpg

Advertisement