Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite comic/graphic novel/complete story

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bbnaga

1. Watchmen
    2. Sandman
    3. Jimmy Corrigan, the Smartest Kid on Earth
    4. Maus
    5. The Adventures of Tintin: The Black Island
    6. Miracleman: The Golden Age
    7. Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic
    8. Ghost World
    9. The Dark Knight Returns
    10. The Greatest of Marlys

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭uprooted tradition

I recently finished Y the last man and wanted and both are superb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 peterkrola

I really liked Pride of Baghdad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dundalk comic guy

Tough one pick a favourite, identity crisis is a great story. Also batman heart of hush is great too. My favourite prob be batman long Halloween..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Civil War or Siege !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Crumbs87

Sandman & Fables!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

This thread seems to be picking up a few fans, which is always nice to see. But to avoid it turning into a total list thread, how about giving a bit of detail as to what makes you pick your favourite? Is it the characters, the art, the writing - a particular part of the story or the whole thing taken together?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,286 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Civil War or Siege !

Love them both. Civil War was one of my first comics (only started really reading over a year ago, though I had a fairly good base knowledge of most of the characters). Loved Civil War, thought the whole concept behind it was fantastic and the huge range of characters featured was a great introduction into comics for me.

Thought Siege was fantastic too. The Sentry had become one of my favourite characters and it was great to see the whole story from Civil War, Secret Invasion and Dark Reign kinda come to one huge conclusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭niall mc cann

In agreement with many others.. Preacher. Also, Invincible. :D

I feel really out of step with Invincible; and moreso with Kirkman's other baby, The Walking Dead.

Everybody seems to love both of those series, but they both seem just really by-the-numbers to me. I don't get either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭niall mc cann

Tough one pick a favourite, identity crisis is a great story. Also batman heart of hush is great too. My favourite prob be batman long Halloween..

I hated Hush, so it kind of floored me how good Heart of Hush was.

I thought it'd irritate the life out of me, but I liked Dini's other work on Batman, so I gave it a whirl, and I'm glad I did. Took a character that bugged me to hell and made him the centre of a hell of a creepy, exciting story.

Good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Love them both. Civil War was one of my first comics (only started really reading over a year ago, though I had a fairly good base knowledge of most of the characters). Loved Civil War, thought the whole concept behind it was fantastic and the huge range of characters featured was a great introduction into comics for me.

Thought Siege was fantastic too. The Sentry had become one of my favourite characters and it was great to see the whole story from Civil War, Secret Invasion and Dark Reign kinda come to one huge conclusion

I'm the same i got Civil War and Volumes 1,2,3 of the Death Of Captain America which of course happens after Civil War all for Christmas in 2009, All my 1st comics kind of got hooked from watching the Ironman movies, Was great to finally see Osbourne carted off ! Pity Ares had to ripped in half lol he was my favourite Dark Avenger

Read my 1st DC story last week Green Lantern Secret Origin really loved it and generally very dissapointed when it was over cos i wanted more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I absolutely love "Give me Liberty" by Frank Miller & Dave Gibbons, one of the first graphic novels I bought and I still read it regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 stevesullivan

Do you mean an actual graphic novel or just trades if trades then The Walking Dead, if a graphic novel I'd have to go with well, I don't know I think both Dark Knight Returns and The Watchmen were collected minis also, if not I go with Dark Knight Returns.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

@stevesullivan:

I think we've been using a fairly loose interpretation of "graphic novel" so far so DKR and Watchmen both count. As far as I'm concerned we're talking about a complete storyline that can be read by itself and make sense - whether it was originally published in one chunk or twenty, as a self-contained series or part of a longer on-going series is irrelevant.

I don't remember what I've posted in this thread in the past, so I'm going to throw Calvin & Hobbes out there. I grew up reading Calvin & Hobbes in the newspaper - to the extent that I'd give out to my parents if they bought a different paper some nights. To this day it still amazes me just how well the strips work. Almost every single strip works by itself, but together they build up over the course of ten years to something amazing, especially the colour supplements and the Sunday strips, where you can really tell that Watterson was having great fun pushing boundaries. There's a sense of wonder and sheer joy at how big and weird and wonderful the world is that not enough other comics have, and I love the way that by the end of the strip's life Calvin's still a weird and somewhat introverted kid but he's also getting to the point where he understands and is understood by the other people in his life.

Plus, of course, Calvinball. PossiblyDefinitely the single greatest response to adversity ever devised by a human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mark_grape

I tottaly love batman returns :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 blackworld

I do love the Superman and Batman. .But I have started enjoying to read Crayon Shin Chan. .HAHAHAHa

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Plug for Transmetropolitan. 50 issues of excellent future allegory, with one of the coolest characters I've seen in comics - Spider Jerusalem (admittedly, a Hunter S Thompson knock off).

I'm a sucker for anything Garth Ennis writes - The Boys, The Punisher (Max), The Crossing...gotta support your fellow Irishman!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Miss_yap_yap

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth by Grant Morrison. Is so good and creepy it gave me nightmares!! I loved it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 donaldbracy

I like Watchmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Damon Blake

My favourite thing from the last couple of years has been The Winter Men, of all time probably The Invisibles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Niallwithaz

I thought "Superman: Red Son" was a brilliant graphic novel. The dark knight returns is great too (obviously). :) Also enjoyed Civil war and the first New avengers volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Annihilation

I've always liked cosmic marvel stuff and this series is brilliant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mik1980

Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth by Grant Morrison. Is so good and creepy it gave me nightmares!! I loved it though.
    Love it , Great one !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Mik1980

Hmmmmm Mad love , Dark Knight returns , Joker , love anything with harley quinn , liked the Xmen Onslaught story arc a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Loved Superman Red Son, there were great twists throughout, thought Sandman was excellent,Gaiman does some weird sh1t. Enjoyed his version of the Eternal s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 olden

Penn wrote: »
    Love The Killing Joke. Just utterly fantastic. Though I haven't read a lot of graphic novels anyway, but it would be hard to top that

I bought the deluxe edition there several months ago and I have to say the art really drove me in. The colours and line work were some of my favourite in any comic and the origin story was enjoyable.

Speaking of origin stories I also picked up Batman: Year One over Christmas and other than a few printing glitches on several pages it's become one of my recent favourites.

I've been meaning to get into the Y: The Last Man series. I read a snippet from the first volume and I've heard nothing but praise for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Martin Walker

Just read RED SON. Its class. By far the best story ive found so far in my short life as a comic fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

For the past year reading graphic novels i found justice league by alex ross ,kingdom come, superman red son, the killing joke, green lantern secret origins absolute gems.. Im on/off/on off books and still trying to get into them , gonna read through all star superman tomorrow then hopefully pick up sinestro cold war and green lantern rebirth soon , cause quite frankly geoff johns a brilliant writer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Not my favourite but definitely up there is Sloth's "Spider Island". A very well paced out story with some fantastic panels :D

But favourite so far would be Iron Man Extremis, but i'm still branching out

• Advertisement
Advertisement