Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite comic/graphic novel/complete story

Options
  • 27-02-2011 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I love graphic novels, but my favorite personally is The Plucker By Brom
    Just that snatching of the childhood joy from the toys is chilling but I love it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

The Preacher Series

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭kickarykee

I really haven't read many so far but I love the 30 Days of Night series and I loved the Silent Hill ones, though there were only four of them (would have loved to see more! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭niall mc cann

I really liked Pride of Baghdad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭andgoodbye

Toss up between Johnny the Homicidal Maniac By Jhonen vasquez or else the sandman series by neil Gaiman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭cianl1

Well, of my current collection Batman: Year One is top of the pile but admittedly I've a long way to go before I can consider myself an authority on these matters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 the_syzygy

I reckon I could list more than there is space for that I love, but I really liked "Midnight Nation" by J. Michael Straczynski, a simple story well told.

But recently a friend recommended "Blankets" to me. Amazing. And heartbreaking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 joeyshabadoo

I second the Sandman series.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Bistoman

Preacher - Gone To Texas
    n10923.jpg

Judge Dread -America
    judge_dredd_america.jpg

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns
    001BatmanDarkKnightReturnsTPB_alt.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 RoBo959

andgoodbye wrote: »
    Toss up between Johnny the Homicidal Maniac By Jhonen vasquez or else the sandman series by neil Gaiman
    Sandman series is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Hmmmm Would have to be Preacher and The Dark Knight Returns for me too..

Sandman series was great but don't know if I'd put it on the same level as those 2 for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

+1 for Preacher, Sandman. And anything by Jhonen Vasquez!

I'm currently reading From Hell (Alan Moore) and it's amazing. His take on Swamp Thing was phenominal too. And I think it'd be rude not to mention Watchmen. :pac:

EDIT: Also just read the Walking Dead compendium 1. Jesus! It's brilliant! I think it only covers up to issue 48 and it's currently at <googles> 81?! Aw..............................

chin_grin wrote: »
    EDIT: Also just read the Walking Dead compendium 1. Jesus! It's brilliant! I think it only covers up to issue 48 and it's currently at <googles> 81?! Aw..............................
    Its at 82 now, And it just gets better and better. I hate to say it But the monthly or weekly comic isn't long enough Its better to wait for the Graphic novel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AbeBird

Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭KH25

I really need to start reading Preacher. I've heard great things about it. OT my favourite is probably Batman:The Long Halloween.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

I have to say Halo Jones by Alan Moore. I know everyone mentions Watchmen etc but there is just something about Halo, she is a fantastic character and I really love Ian Gibson's artwork.

Nhead wrote: »
    I have to say Halo Jones by Alan Moore. I know everyone mentions Watchmen etc but there is just something about Halo, she is a fantastic character and I really love Ian Gibson's artwork.
    Yes Halo was a great story, Its a shame He never did a book 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Nhead

Apparently Moore had more stories sketched out (whether in his head or on the page I am not sure) but he got in an argument with 2000AD and that's why we never got anymore!! It is unlike Moore to get into an argument;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Y: The Last Man.

Not sure whether to start 100 Bullets or Preacher next. Any thoughts?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Nhead wrote: »
    Apparently Moore had more stories sketched out (whether in his head or on the page I am not sure) but he got in an argument with 2000AD and that's why we never got anymore!! It is unlike Moore to get into an argument;)

There's a recent interview by Pádraig Ó Méalóid in which Moore explains the ending he'd had planned for Halo Jones - you can see the relevant bit here.
    sheehy83 wrote: »

I think both are great, though I'd probably favour 100 Bullets slightly over Preacher because I think Eduardo Risso's artwork is just gorgeous, where Steve Dillon's artwork is good from a storytelling perspective but not quite as stunning. I've often lingered on pages of Risso's just to take in a particular image or panel, but I don't think I've ever done that with Dillon's artwork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 aaronkdr

i like graphic novel t read so many but batman and the sendman and the country is the best graphic novel ever i read. This novel also win lot awarded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 fiasco9661

THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS???? That is shunned by all comic fan-people...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

fiasco9661 wrote: »
    THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS???? That is shunned by all comic fan-people...

Um, no it's not.

Unless you mean "The Dark Knight Strikes Again", and even then it's still not. (If it were so reviled, why would DC include it in the deluxe Absolute Dark Knight package?)

Fysh wrote: »
    Um, no it's not.

Unless you mean "The Dark Knight Strikes Again", and even then it's still not. (If it were so reviled, why would DC include it in the deluxe Absolute Dark Knight package?)

I'm with You, Great story's. And dont forget the Killing Joke, A real Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭VALIS

sheehy83 wrote: »

I haven't read Preacher but 100 Bullets is superb; I was consistently satisfied by its various volumes whereas other series I've read sometimes had their ups and downs.

VALIS wrote: »
    I haven't read Preacher but 100 Bullets is superb; I was consistently satisfied by its various volumes whereas other series I've read sometimes had their ups and downs.
    Give Yourself a real treat, Get Your hands on Preacher, You are guaranteed to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ElizabethDante

yes, i personally love anything wrote by neil gaiman and illustrations by dave mc kean ! i just love those men :D and all the other excellent illustrators in the sandman series obviously :D

oooh and anything else about the dreaming!

other than than i love the preacher series, anything by clive barker and i love Gen13 :D although that might be considered more of a comic series than graphic novel... im not sure !

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭CrazyTalk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blankets_%28comics%29

'Blankets' by Craig Thompson.

It's a coming-of-age autobiography, the book tells the story of Thompson's childhood in an Evangelical Christian family, his first love, and his early adulthood.

Okay, I ripped that paragraph from Wikipedia but trust me, the book is beautiful and bittersweet. His style is completely black and white, and often goes from regular comic storytelling to very experimental imagery, especially when dealing with some very dark subject matter. One or two scenes might upset certain people.

It's about 600 pages long but it flows far quicker and smoother than you'd imagine.
    Check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭uprooted tradition

While I haven't read an awful lot, my favourite is definitely Superman: Red Son

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mr Diamond

Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely's 'All Star Superman' is tremendous.
    Big ideas with a lot of heart.

I have a huge collection so its very difficult to cherry pick, but thats the most recent one I've particularly enjoyed and would recommend.

tumblr_lgzbe8BQD51qzm6hao1_500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,321 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

i love all the usual such as Watchmen, Dark Knight and Sandman but one i keep going back to years after i got it as a teenager is X-Men: The Asgardian Wars

41Brn%2BG5HoL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

one of my favourite GN's especially since Chris Claremont signed it for me :)

Advertisement