Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iWake Up with Dave O'Connor

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

All off Iradio's (as there now called) has come from bbc radio 1...Everything that scott mills has done has been done later or still will be done soon enough

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    All off Iradio's (as there now called) has come from bbc radio 1...Everything that scott mills has done has been done later or still will be done soon enough

Rather like how all of Foley's show comes from BBC Radio 2 then?

Better than attempting to be a US station like most here used to, though...

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

Just thought i would like to point out his latest tweet....most obnoxious and selfish thing to say...: https://twitter.com/#!/iwakeupwithdave/status/92564802190311424

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

ryanch09 wrote: »
    Just thought i would like to point out his latest tweet....most obnoxious and selfish thing to say...: https://twitter.com/#!/iwakeupwithdave/status/92564802190311424

Local non-entities blathering out obnoxiousness and ignorance over the interweb to raise their profile is nothing new, but the rubbish spelling & sense of desperation in that tweet, combined with the complete and utter absence of any kind of funny in it, actually has me feeling kinda sorry for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

My phone is blocked from this radio station!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Starterbar

I have to agree with these posts, im sure the listeners are leaving in their droves, I only listen to the station because of the music, Dave O Connor and Fergal Darcy are really weak DJs and their sense of humour is ridicolous,i would really like to find out who is telling these guys that they are funny? Simon Murdoch is fine though,BRING BACK BREAKFAST WITH BERNARD AND KEITH!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭cena

Dave was on boards today. He signed up today. He replyed too thread on the radio forum. I'll let ye find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭petals

Someone new to bash eh?! :rolleyes:
    Big Tone wrote: »
    Is that the same Dave O Connor who was a DJ on 96FM back in the 90s?

I don't know if he was ever on 96fm. I don't think so though. He was in East Coastfm when I was doing work experience in 2001 so I'm guessing not!
    To be fair there is a huge difference between Foley and O'Connor. At least if Ray ripped something off he would joke about it and take the p!ss out copying another shows idea. But not Dave. He seems to think everything he does on his show is original and all his own ideas. Far from it. And to be fair to Foley he does seem to come up with may original ideas wheres I'd be surprised if Dave ever had 1 in his entire career.

And did anyone hear the Fergal D'Arcy Show on April Fools Day? They pranked Dave telling in Ray got offered a job with a station in London and he fell for it. But rather then be happy to see a fellow iRadio colleague do well Dave got all bitchy, moaning that he should have got offered the job and insulting Fergal's "country" accent. He just comes accross as such a bitter individual.

Now I'm not saying that he does mean this but maybe if he knows they are rip offs of other ideas maybe when he says it's his own original idea or whatever ye lot saying that he is saying maybe he means he's putting his own original spin on these ripped off ideas?! :confused::) lol

As for the April Fools day thing did you ever think that maybe the bitchy moaning thing was put on for the radio show?! Ya know as in acting?

Guys a young presenter and very nice as well. He helped me with a college project once which I thought was really nice of him since he took time to drive to my college town and to help me out and he didn't have to. He did it cos a friend of his and person I once spoke to asked him to but he was nice about it and I thought he was funny as well... maybe i've a bad sense of humour?!

You may proceed to rip my post apart now! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

petals wrote: »
    Someone new to bash eh?! :rolleyes:

I don't know if he was ever on 96fm. I don't think so though. He was in East Coastfm when I was doing work experience in 2001 so I'm guessing not!

Now I'm not saying that he does mean this but maybe if he knows they are rip offs of other ideas maybe when he says it's his own original idea or whatever ye lot saying that he is saying maybe he means he's putting his own original spin on these ripped off ideas?! :confused::) lol

As for the April Fools day thing did you ever think that maybe the bitchy moaning thing was put on for the radio show?! Ya know as in acting?

Guys a young presenter and very nice as well. He helped me with a college project once which I thought was really nice of him since he took time to drive to my college town and to help me out and he didn't have to. He did it cos a friend of his and person I once spoke to asked him to but he was nice about it and I thought he was funny as well... maybe i've a bad sense of humour?!

You may proceed to rip my post apart now! :rolleyes:

I've no intention of ripping your post apart. Everyone is entitled to their opinions! :)

The only reason I highlighted the April Fools Day prank is because to me it was very obvious Dave was being serious. Listen to all the iJacker pranks. Listen to Dave tell one of his many "stories". He always has this tone in his voice, like he is about to burst out laughing at how "funny" he is. Even when he is doing an iJacker that requires him to be very serious. Then listen to the Aprils Fool call. His voice is very different, a genuinely p!ssed off, bitter tone to it. Thats why Im convinced this was Dave's genuine reaction to thinking Ferg got offered a better job.

And I really wouldnt mind if Dave was putting his original spin on material that he's "borrowing". But please listen to both videos in the original post. They are almost identical. Bottom line, Dave got caught out claiming credit for someone else's work and now he isnt man enough to admit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 surewhynot?

I have been reading a few posts by some users in particular mstan and it appears to me that you have some sort of vendetta against Dave O'Connor. I have read through your posts in other threads and you are constantly putting him down. It is a bit sad really to be honest. It is almost as if you have a personal reason for disliking him?

I think that the changes were both good and bad to be honest and everyone is entitled to their opinion but you seem to be taking it a bit too far.

I listen to a few different radio stations and I think Dave is trying his best since the two stations became one. I really like the chemistry between him and his new co-presenter Una. The library prank they did last week was really funny and fair play to them for having the craic for work purposes.

It seems to me like he is being bashed here and I think that is quite unfair. It's a radio show, your lives don't depend on it. But his does so cut him some slack as I'm sure he is reading these according to other posts.

There are many presenters that I am not fond of but I would prefer to give an informed opinion rather than just bash someone because I don't like them for whatever reason.

Petals that is a nice story! Good to see a positive comment...

It's very easy hide behind a keyboard isn't it?

I await the harsh comments to continue, directed at me now, no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭mstan

I have been reading a few posts by some users in particular mstan and it appears to me that you have some sort of vendetta against Dave O'Connor. I have read through your posts in other threads and you are constantly putting him down. It is a bit sad really to be honest. It is almost as if you have a personal reason for disliking him?.

There is no personal vendetta. My opinions are based purely on what I'm hearing on the radio. Couldn't I make similar claims about your post that you seem to have a personal reason for liking his show. Strange that you sign up to Boards and this is your first post. Especially since we know Dave created an account only a few days ago. I would be suspicious that you are either Dave, a friend/relative of his or someone from iRadio.
    There are many presenters that I am not fond of but I would prefer to give an informed opinion rather than just bash someone because I don't like them for whatever reason..

Ok, so maybe I did bash Dave in some posts and I do apologise for any offence caused. But you cant say I didn't also give an informed opinion. Or do you think its ok/funny to convince a mother who has just lost her job that she has won a free family holiday to Portugal? Because I don’t. I think that’s bottom of the barrel humour. And in another post I just pointed out Dave's hypocrisy. He went on a rant giving out about people updating their Facebook status every 5 minutes about their lives. And so I posted examples of the posts Dave made about himself over the next day or 2.
    I await the harsh comments to continue, directed at me now, no doubt.

I take particular offence to this comment of your's. Look back through this thread. When has there even been harsh comments directed at someone because they had a different opinion. Its like as if you are trying to encourage people to attack you in the hope that it while then make previous posts by them seem less credible.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

O'Connor ... is he the one that sounds like he has a mouthful of snotty phlegm when he speaks?

Terrible, terrible presenter. Immature, uninteresting, unprofessional, unoriginal and unfunny.

I removed i from my car presets a loooooong time ago because he wrecked my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 surewhynot?

I don't know the man from Adam like I said I listen to many other shows in the mornings such as Hector and Today FM so I cant label myself as an Iradio fan as such. I just feel it's a bit harsh the way you are talking about him and telling people to stay away from his show and not to listen to him is a bit much - like you said everyone can have a different opinion but by actually stating on this to stay away from his show seems that you are forcing your opinion down others throats. I don't care whether you listen to the radio or not to be honest I just think it's a bit mean to be slating someone constantly and so publicly.

And regarding me only signing up to boards now - well I have been reading the forums as a guest user for quite some time now and only decided to join up now so I can also contribute. Not that it should make any difference to your life why and when I join surely? You've a great imagination, sounds like you are a bit obsessed with him to be honest. I'd love to know what you all do for a living and see would you like someone publicly criticising you behind a screen.

I do not work in the radio business and nor do I have any affiliation with the entertainment/media industry in my career. So I am too a listener - I just don't think to publicly slate someone while hiding behind my screen is fair.

Also can I just say that I really like Bernard and Keith also, I travel nationwide and so would switch between i102104 and i105107 or Hector or Today FM or wherever I am!

Bernard O Shea has been getting abuse from so called fans saying that he left because RTE offered him a bigger gig. From his replies I have seen that he is not even employed by RTE and even if that was the case why would anyone begrudge him advancing himself? Like I mentioned earlier it's very easy to take out anger on the people who have lost their jobs and who have remained. At the end of the day surely it is their bosses who make these decisions and it is no ones fault the way things are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Sure, Dave's "sense of humour" or lack thereof is up for debate, but at least his voice is listenable to... or at least it is to my ears, relative to his colleagues.

There's a couple of guys on after him with strong regional accents, particularly the guy on at around lunch time (Mark Gunning?) who has a strong Norn Iron accent with a distinctly mid-atlantic flavour. Good grief!! No offence to anyone north of the border but I find his particular twang exceptionally grating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 miketango

I think his show is brilliant!!!! Its a bit of craic in the morning and believe me coming home from nights or working that early you need a bit of craic on the radio.. I love the pranks! And just to clarify my friend got ijacked and he asks for permission to put it on air after. Regarding that woman in portugal well someone belonging to her set her up thats how it works they contact Dave to do the prank and give him all the info! She obviously thought it was funny cos she allowed it go on air. Ye are all moany gits, I'll give ye a number ye can moan to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I'm loving how 2/3 of supporters are new accounts.

Anyway, I've had to listen to it over the past week, not having control of the radio in the car when the driver wants to listen to i. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 helenthenurse

i had to join the board when i found this. i was searching for my fave snoozy woozy song lol. i have read your posts mostly in disbelief. Dave is fantastic and something that brightens my morning as i'm driving to work.
    do most of you have no sense of humor ? seriously people life is stressful enough and a laugh first thing in the morning is the best medicine. i'm not a teeny bopper or his mammy lol i'm a 34 yr old lady who is a professional and intelligent, i know when someone has a good sense of humor, Dave and Onagha have. they brighten my day. some last advice if you cant stand him or the show then DON'T listen :-) :D :P

3/4

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Starterbar

I have to admit that I got it wrong about Dave O Conner. Currently the best breakfast show on ANY Irish radio station at the minute...

4/5
    Come on people, this is shilling 101. You need to at least spend a month or two building up a decent account before you get down to the nitty gritty. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 eveya

I like iWakeup, its a laugh and Dave is easy to listen to, I don't necessarily split my sides laughing for the whole show or anything, but I'll chose it 9 times out of 10 over Hector, who I enjoy but I find him a bit tough that hour of the morning roaring at me.

The guy is a DJ, he's gotta have some bit of an ego to do what he does. I'd imagine it's a dog-eat-dog business. He has the craic and original or not, I enjoy him. There's always smoke and mirrors with entertainment but I don't focus on it. I was in the audience for a Saturday Night Live show where they pretended a band were playing live, we all just had to watch tv screens and then clap at the end!! Buzz kill but that's how it goes. I was at a gig Dave DJ'd at and it was rocking, he was the best DJ of the nite for tune selection and getting the crowd going, so he has a definite talent for entertaining.

If you're reading this Dave, you probably are a stuck up a**hole for all I know, but sur ur a divil with a bit of craic and fair play to ya. I'm surprised you haven't been snapped up by another station.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Nevore, do us a favour and leave the moderating to the moderators, would ya? Aside from the fact that accusing other posters of being the presenters or being connected with them is against the charter, I've no major problem with people who want to sign up just to defend Dave or to say they like him, just as I've no major problem with people who want to do the opposite. Post count is very often completely meaningless and can't always be a gauge of someones credibility on here.

With the mod hat off (and I may be mildly biased as I used to work in iRadio, but...), I must say I quite like Dave's show myself... think it suits his target demographic well and the chemistry between himself and Oonagh is great.

Sometimes some of the comedy elements of the show don't come off as well as they should (he had to pull the iJacker call at the last minute this morning for example after getting a call from the 'victim' asking him not to air it for legal reasons) and some of his jokes may go a little over my head (although I'm a bit older than the target demo..) but at least he's doing his best with it - and it sounds like they have a lot of fun making the show - which counts for a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 StarryBright

Starterbar wrote: »
    Currently the best breakfast show on ANY Irish radio station at the minute...

I wouldn't go that far but he is ok.

I think it's funny though because with the likes of the ijacker that's oh so original (not) it's just the same mundane idea that other stations have had before he used it. Prank calling someone. Weren't 98 doing that with Little Becky before he started ijackers and I'm sure 98 weren't the first either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,348 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I do catch about half an hour of O Connors show on the way to work every morning and I find him a funny guy and the show is entertaining. I would listen to him before any of the 2fm DJs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I wouldn't go that far but he is ok.

I think it's funny though because with the likes of the ijacker that's oh so original (not) it's just the same mundane idea that other stations have had before he used it. Prank calling someone. Weren't 98 doing that with Little Becky before he started ijackers and I'm sure 98 weren't the first either.

Far from it, no... but there's very little originality in radio at all these days so I reckon it's far more important that someone is doing something *well* than doing something nobody else ever has...- and Dave's popularity among his target demographic seems to suggest that he's doing it well enough!

Starterbar wrote: »
    I have to admit that I got it wrong about Dave O Conner. Currently the best breakfast show on ANY Irish radio station at the minute...

Welcome to boards Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Welcome to boards Dave.
    From the Charter:
    Both pro- and anti- show opinions are equally welcome. Therefore, anyone who greets a post praising [Presenter X] with "Hi [Presenter X]" gets a one day ban - no exceptions.
    One day ban it is so.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

OldGoat wrote: »
    From the Charter:

One day ban it is so.

Lucky i don't post in here to often.....

Anyway...

Nothing against Dave o Connor....Just think theres to much talk and ads on in his show and i prefer to hear music on the way to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭buckfasterer

IIRC, he's on his 3rd female co presenter yeah? Don't get me wrong, but he's far better when presenting on his own and not showin off to who he's with in studio.....less ****e talk and more music.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 I Love iRadio

Look Dave and Una have a great show and I doubht any of you could do the same, they make you laugh and are always fighting and have funny things to do. Dave called me today and he was lovely so shut-up!:mad:

Advertisement