Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsealed ballot box, Cork N W

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Someone else

shoes34 wrote: »
    what will be done about it - does that mean the votes are spoilt? I will be checking my ballot box when I go to vote later.

Don't know but if eliminations are tight someone could call for a re-vote.?

Local candidates could loose out with a higher % of No1's and transfers if box was ruled out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

That's a disgrace.

The Garda and the presiding officer should be ashamed of themselves. Not good enough!!

I'll be checking my box tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Went to vote at about 10.55 this morning, noted the girls on desk were not only marking off names but also keeping a record of number of voters.

I was the 65th this morning at this particular station.

I also noted fancy new plastic boxes that looked more like a shredder than a ballot box......

Voted dropped in my paper and next of all my 4yr old lifts lid and we can see all of the previous ballots.
    Was leaving and thought about it, got the Garda and went back and showed him.
    Of course excuses followed and sure it was grand and he would say it to the presiding officer. As I was leaving the other ballot boxes in the other rooms appeared only to have common everyday cable ties on them.

I spotted a guy sitting in the hallway of the school (each station is in a different classroom) asked if he was the presiding officer ad he acknowledged.
    I explained to him the problem, he didn't even get off his seat. (11.00am) I then left, the more I thought about the excuses and lack of urgency really gets me!!
    I'm F**ing angry now.....

see following link to photo of box, centre areas are where it should have been sealed. http://yfrog.com/h8todszj

Any thoughts on what to do next?

Same in Dublin South. Looked fairly dodgy, I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Just got a response from Will Goodbody and he said that RTE are looking into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I'll be checking my box tonight.

ooh-matron.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 studmystro84

joe316 wrote: »

great we can all go back to bed now! the country is safe :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Time to call for the UN to monitor elections in this country - one look at how the register is compiled and 'maintained' would be enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Same in Dublin South. Looked fairly dodgy, I have to say.

St Marys in Sandyford looked fine, just to clarify, so not all Dub South.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Now now Captain Sarcy. Considering we threw out a multi million euro epolling system based on vulnerabilities its pretty dodgey they couldnt even put a seal on the ballot box..

Whats to stop someone putting a handful of votes in or taking them out.... its bull and quite worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    St Marys in Sandyford looked fine, just to clarify, so not all Dub South.

Sadly I don't have a vote in every polling station. I can only speak for the one I was in, as I assume, do you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

Bad parenting, you should have not let your child near that ballot box! I jest

I'll be heading up to vote later and will have a look aswel. I know it's a cliche but it really is typical of the attitude we have in this country, unprofessional twats possibly spoiling one of the biggest elections in the history of the state

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭shoes34

Will be interesting to see if RTEff mention it in the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Will be interesting to see if RTEff mention it in the news.

not a chance, nothing on the 3pm news

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Makes Zimbabwee look legit, I'm going to check mine later, if not sealed I will make a huge scene and probably be ejected or arrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

Best thing to do would be to "accidentally" knock the box over. Just make sure you have a friend ready with a camera to get pictures of the votes all over the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

The presiding officer asked me to keep an eye on the box earlier while he ran to the jacks, it was fairly quite and he was taking his time, so I started to read through some of the votes in the box...it was disgraceful how many people were voting for bad candidates! Straight in the bin! I have to say the quality of candidates this year has been quite poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭county man

Ballincollig is the home base of Canty O Donnabhain and Mark Collins and not far from O Grady so surely they should look into this if they are made aware of it.On another point I voted at lunchtime and there was no Garda present.What is the rule on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

The Polling station in question is Canty's own polling station!

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Lupine

That's a disgrace, it's is a prime example of what is wrong with Ireland!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

can i make a complaint about not having a vote, since had a vote in the last general and local, name was not on register, yet i had vote last time

• Advertisement

goat2 wrote: »
    can i make a complaint about not having a vote, since had a vote in the last general and local, name was not on register, yet i had vote last time

did you check the register as people were advised to do so for the past few weeks. You could have applied to be put back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

That's crazy. I'm in Cork NW too and I'll be checking the ballot box out when I vote after work later. And definitely commenting if it's open. I'd say there's hours go by where no one comes in to vote so closed boxes are the only way to be sure votes haven't been tampered with!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Downlinz

Went to vote at about 10.55 this morning, noted the girls on desk were not only marking off names but also keeping a record of number of voters.

I was the 65th this morning at this particular station.

I also noted fancy new plastic boxes that looked more like a shredder than a ballot box......

Voted dropped in my paper and next of all my 4yr old lifts lid and we can see all of the previous ballots.
    Was leaving and thought about it, got the Garda and went back and showed him.
    Of course excuses followed and sure it was grand and he would say it to the presiding officer. As I was leaving the other ballot boxes in the other rooms appeared only to have common everyday cable ties on them.

I spotted a guy sitting in the hallway of the school (each station is in a different classroom) asked if he was the presiding officer ad he acknowledged.
    I explained to him the problem, he didn't even get off his seat. (11.00am) I then left, the more I thought about the excuses and lack of urgency really gets me!!
    I'm F**ing angry now.....

see following link to photo of box, centre areas are where it should have been sealed. http://yfrog.com/h8todszj

Any thoughts on what to do next?

Ah sure, it'll do.

not a chance, nothing on the 3pm news

Maybe Will is on his way down with a cameraman!!! wonder will be picked up and mentioned by any radio station or is it just going to be amongst boards.ie.

Someone in the Cork N.W should contact the presiding officer and the more people that do it the more he has to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

county man wrote: »
    On another point I voted at lunchtime and there was no Garda present.What is the rule on this?

'Twas the same for me.
    AFAIK they must have a uniformed Garda present. The only thing I saw was a bloke in a jumper reading The Sun in the seat where the officer usually sits.

He was definitely not an officer. And I was there for the best part of ten or so minutes.

Maybe Will is on his way down with a cameraman!!! wonder will be picked up and mentioned by any radio station or is it just going to be amongst boards.ie.

This stupid moratorium can't possibly mean we can't alert it on the news, can we?
    BAI- remove this silly rule, for goodness sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Downlinz

I don't think I've ever seen a guard present when voting in any sort of election, are you sure?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Voted in Cork NC - no Guard present. Didn't even think to check if the ballot box was sealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Definitely no Gárda present when I voted this morning. Can't say if there was ever any at previous elections but certainly not at them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

who could possibly fall for one of those false boxes

000447f8-440.jpg

000447fa-440.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Rte have have an update in their election coverage to say that a kid in Ballincollig opened a ballot box as it was unsealed.

Advertisement