Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

A friend's dog has NO recall..yet they let him off sometimes anyways then get frustrated when he doesn't come back :rolleyes:... Anyways she decided to hide one day and call him when he was ignoring her so went behind a tree. A woman came up asking if she needed help finding her lost little boy named Dermot :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I've been having a think about it, and because it seems like Dude is 98% recovered, I think we're going to take a dive back into cat shows with him again :D

Will he be making an appearance in the show in February? :) I think I might enter one or both of mine this year :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Will he be making an appearance in the show in February? :) I think I might enter one or both of mine this year :)

I haven't decided on that one yet because it's moved venue from limerick to Tipperary, I was thinking of trying him in a TICA show first to see how he gets on because that way I can stay with him for the day in case he needs a quick bath if things do get worse :D would be lovely to see your guys entered though, I love seeing new cats coming in :)

Edit: I think we will do February as well as its cheaper entry than TICA so would be a good test without wasting as much money if something does go wrong!
    My order of smilla food arrived, the boys are crazy for it, ms fussy peach turned her nose up as usual so this evening I put in a spoon of salmon oil and popped it in the microwave for 10 seconds and she's already looking for more, success! (And money saved for me :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Our not-so-little Princess had a lovely time while we were away. We had a wonderful cat sitter who visited twice a day for the first week, followed by a relative house sitting for the next two weeks. By all accounts she coped very well and was even climbing up onto the spare bed looking for pats in the early hours of the morning, although OHs brother did say 'Your cat is very noisy, and she squeaks a lot'.
    Coming back, we were excited to see her, but of course Madam had to let us know we were in the 'litter box' - she ignored us until the small hours of the morning when she jumped up and snuggled in on the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭The Cool

Poor Rocky is in the wars at the moment. He had a big lump on his toe for a few weeks and I noticed it spreading down between the toes so took him to the vets. He had a cyst removed and he's spent the last week with this cone and a banty leg! Thought he was going to get stitches out etc this morning but it's a bit infected so he's in getting it cleaned and restitched.

This was him when I took him home from the surgery... that's his "We are not talking" face.

12400689_10153368974079021_4785383782523396357_n.jpg?oh=6204fc913acb99ab707d081368cf32e1&oe=56FC2A80&__gda__=1464016869_4403fc084ef01abe4d0497ff98fc08f1

• Advertisement

I rethought my decision, he will be in the show in Feb :D Just sent off the entry today! Do you think you'll enter yours? I think the last date for entry is monday!

I rethought my decision, he will be in the show in Feb :D Just sent off the entry today! Do you think you'll enter yours? I think the last date for entry is monday!

I'm definitely entering one, have yet to decide if il enter two. Iv the form printed I was just trying to figure out the entry fee and classes. Is the exhibition pen price on top of the non pedigree entry fee? I'm torn between what classes to enter :p

I'm definitely entering one, have yet to decide if il enter two. Iv the form printed I was just trying to figure out the entry fee and classes. Is the exhibition pen price on top of the non pedigree entry fee? I'm torn between what classes to enter :p

Nope all you're to pay is the entry fee, which gives you your open class (so that's the colour class) plus 2 of the others. If you want to enter more than 2, they're €5 each for any extra. The exhibition pens are for breeds not recognised by gccfi, so they won't be judged just promoted for the day! If you need a hand with anything just send me a pm :)

Nope all you're to pay is the entry fee, which gives you your open class (so that's the colour class) plus 2 of the others. If you want to enter more than 2, they're €5 each for any extra. The exhibition pens are for breeds not recognised by gccfi, so they won't be judged just promoted for the day! If you need a hand with anything just send me a pm :)

I might bring the two so if I can get them both into shape, they're a little rounder after Christmas :p I think they're both in the same open class as peach and cream? :p Thanks, I'd say il have a few questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

We get lots of courier deliveries and parcels posted to us, so I've been teaching Benson to bring in the post :). Poor fella gets so frustrated when he can't get his mouth around a large package or box! For some reason or another he's also less keen on letters, it's almost as if he knows that the likelyhood of there being something in a letter is slim compared to a little box or package :D

• Advertisement

I might bring the two so if I can get them both into shape, they're a little rounder after Christmas :p I think they're both in the same open class as peach and cream? :p Thanks, I'd say il have a few questions :)

Only have dude entered this time :D they'd be in different colour classes, so all tabbies against each other, all black and white against each other etc, then the winners each colour will be against each other for best short hair. Then best short hair vs long hair for overall best of breed :)
    Dude is also quite round at the moment, and there's not a hope of me managing to change that before February :P

Only have dude entered this time :D they'd be in different colour classes, so all tabbies against each other, all black and white against each other etc, then the winners each colour will be against each other for best short hair. Then best short hair vs long hair for overall best of breed :)
    Dude is also quite round at the moment, and there's not a hope of me managing to change that before February :P

Just posted off the entry for the two :) Let the rivalry begin :D :P I'll have them doing laps of the house :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Sillymangox and zapperzy, have you a link about the show? You can pm me, my daughter would love to try a cat show with one of ours (an excuse to see some many cats and get a few cuddles)
    Any info would be welcome, something to look forward to after the mocks.

mymo wrote: »
    Sillymangox and zapperzy, have you a link about the show? You can pm me, my daughter would love to try a cat show with one of ours (an excuse to see some many cats and get a few cuddles)
    Any info would be welcome, something to look forward to after the mocks.

Sent :)

Have to say it's great that you can show "pet" cats like that! I think I would have liked to show Lucy but she's spayed and always would have been so never bothered when she was a pup because it always would have been for a limited time?

Good luck to our boards cats!! :D

tk123 wrote: »
    Have to say it's great that you can show "pet" cats like that! I think I would have liked to show Lucy but she's spayed and always would have been so never bothered when she was a pup because it always would have been for a limited time?

Another good thing about cat shows, even for the pedigrees there's a separate class for neutered cats, they get their own champion titles etc. so if you have no intentions of breeding you can neuter your cat and still have the fun of the shows!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Wish there was stuff like that for dogs. It can be hard to find suitable environments to socialize an older or nervous dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭muddypaws

tk123 wrote: »

You can show spayed and neutered dogs at UK KC shows, and there are some that are run under their rules in NI. You just have to fill in a form, vet signs to say when the operation was done. You don't have to say why they were done. It is seen as a fault, and should be judged just like every other fault, as no dog is perfect. A neutered male won best in breed in siberian huskies at Crufts a couple of years ago. He was a veteran, and hadn't always been shown that way, had won most of his titles whilst he was intact, but still. Tbh, with a bitch, you would probably get away with the judge not knowing anyway. Unlike Riley, when I took him to his first ringcraft class, the 'judge' was going over him, and looked up at him from his rear end and exclaimed "do you know this dog has no testicles". :eek:;):pac::pac::pac:

I love the dog's long hair and would never normally dream of having them trimmed... but we keep standing on poor Lucy's tail and pulling the hair out - the look on her little face when it happens! :( I just know she'll find something putrid to roll in as revenge though lol!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

I'm so happy my other half has a terrible sense of smell, otherwise I'd feel guilty that he has to sit near a really strong wet dog smell for the next few hours. :D

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Advertisement

Agh after all my talk on how well Dude has been doing, he's after landing himself with another UTI. He seemed off form this evening, not really eating, just wanting cuddles. He was over and back to the litter tray, then squatted on the floor and passed a load of blood. So it was a dose of metacam for him and off to the vets in the morning!
    Has anyone ever used any of the UTI pastes for cats, or know if they are actually any good? Something I never thought of trying before but I don't want him getting back into the cycle of getting UTI's again!

Aww poor Dude!!

We're headed to hydro this evening...tried a different place last week which was fantastic but just not feasible to go there every week for various reasons.. Last time we were at tonight's place (the one we had been going to years) was shortly after Bailey's jaw operation and over the space of a few weeks he got gradually more uncomfortable and decided he wasn't allowing anyone to lift him into the pool anymore - I'm assuming from how he was handled before jaw gate where he would have had scans etc...

Really hoping he'll be happy tonight and swim because the lameness after I let him off lead is going on nearly 3 months now and we're all fed up with short walks! I did let him off for a few mins at the weekend and he was fine thanks to the swim last week.. It'd be great to get him back swimming every week again and get back to normal exercise!

Update - he gave one grumble as he was lifted in but swam fine... Must have been my mum telling him she'd give him a whole apple tomorrow if he was good! :p :pac: :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Been absolutely dying with the Flu this week. So of course Tara and Elly only want to sit on me, jump on me, annoy me etc... Not good when even breathing hurts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I'm really starting to worry about Kovu & Squeak going into a cattery for a week. Squeak isn't so bad, she farts about the house here most of the time and only goes out for a few hours max. Kovu loves his prowling time and is 50/50 out and in. He also hates strangers so being in the care of one for a week will be quite stressful for him. The place does look very good though and they use the Feliway products to settle them.
    Do you think they'll know how to use the litter box? Squeak was never trained to one and Kovu was a disaster as a kitten, he'd go right next to the box all the time :pac::rolleyes:

Kovu wrote: »
    I'm really starting to worry about Kovu & Squeak going into a cattery for a week. Squeak isn't so bad, she farts about the house here most of the time and only goes out for a few hours max. Kovu loves his prowling time and is 50/50 out and in. He also hates strangers so being in the care of one for a week will be quite stressful for him. The place does look very good though and they use the Feliway products to settle them.
    Do you think they'll know how to use the litter box? Squeak was never trained to one and Kovu was a disaster as a kitten, he'd go right next to the box all the time :pac::rolleyes:

Are you bringing bedding/igloo typa things with them? I have dealt with plenty of nervous cats in a cattery and they feel safest when they can hide. Make sure if they don't provide any particular bedding, that you bring something that allows either one of them to hide away comfortably.

Also ensure that they have two litterboxes. There have been plenty of cats in that have had no issues using a litterbox when they haven't used one in years. Though there was one who decided litterboxes were for pee only, and she'd poop next to it, every time. :rolleyes: :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I'm bringing their blanket with them, it's a huge leopardskin yoke that fits a double bed so hope it'll fit in the cage easily enough!
    The run they have contains hidey places so hopefully that'll be enough for them to feel secure. At least they can share though, I've often noticed they only lie together when stressed like in storms.

Kovu wrote: »
    I'm bringing their blanket with them, it's a huge leopardskin yoke that fits a double bed so hope it'll fit in the cage easily enough!
    The run they have contains hidey places so hopefully that'll be enough for them to feel secure. At least they can share though, I've often noticed they only lie together when stressed like in storms.

Ah, they should be grand. Don't worry! :o

I let Bailey off yesterday and he ran wild after the mini quadcopters me and my bro were flying around. I didn't expect him to get THAT excited so put him back on after a few mins worried that he'd be crippled in the evening... he was a only TINY bit stiff after his afternoon nap but that was it!! So the hydro is what he needed :D Really hope he co-operates so I can get him swimming again every week! ...either that or I'll have to open my own pool lol

I feel like a ginormous load of the brown stuff. :( I keep going through phases where I feel better, then I remind myself of the reason why I feel similar to a block of turf. I know it'll all blow over, worse has happened, it's just completely affecting my energy levels and in turn affecting my dogs because the idea of bringing them out is draining me physically and mentally even more than I already feel. I hate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Today while procrastinating at work I found another dog forum. I didn't like it. There were people talking about getting a puppy for a 3 yr old and someone else talking about the dogs he had gotten rid of. It felt like walking into a room and realising you really didn't want to be there, so I turned around an left again!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement