Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Chillout Zone (Off-Topic Thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Our cats are loving the tins of Bozita, but I'm going to have to cut back on it as it's filling them up for so long that they aren't eating the calming kibble. I noticed Felix was being a bit aggressive earlier in the week and he went for Toby on our bed this morning, still, it's the first fight in a few months and neither of them was too stressed by it.

Toby had breakfast at 7am and he's been on our bed since about 8ish, quite content and not looking for food. Poppy was up there with him and has only just come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

My dad discovered today after reading it in the paper that cats can live well into their 20's. He was not impressed in the slightest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

Having been reading the thread about dogs and postmen, I was reminded of one time when I was minding a relative's dogs at my house for a couple of days. I woke up to find an envelope with tooth marks and a couple of corners missing...I hadn't been informed that one of the dogs would grab post as it's coming through the letterbox. The irony was that the envelope in question contained a cheque from the pet insurance company for a claim I had for my little terrier lad...thankfully that remained intact, if a little dented!

Poppy's giving me a bit of cleaning to do this morning. She bolt ate her breakfast then threw it up everywhere. Now, based on the amount of digging I can hear from her litter box I'm guessing there's a particularly nasty one for me to clean up. She's pleased with herself anyway, galloping around like a mad thing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,023 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OMG! We went to dunes this morning the dogs running around then all of a sudden I could see Bailey starting to get alert. Started calling him/blowing the whistle which he normally makes him come back straight away and then my friend who was ahead of me gasped as saw what he was barking at - 2 swans! They weren't babies but looked and sounded young and they didn't fight with him - instead they took to the 'lake' (the dunes are flooded)... And he swam off into the middle of it after them until one of they flew out of the water!! :eek: Then he came back to us but bolted back after them again before I could clip his lead on! They flew out of that lake and retreated to one further up the dunes. So scary and embarrassing (even though we were on our own) I kept expecting the swans to turn on him or mammy and daddy to appear and beat him up! The swans in the other park we go to are vicious and he always gives them a wide berth and has even stood between them and Lucy a few times when she was getting too curious off them as if to warn them off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Double dog connector chains are the best invention ever! I clipped it onto their harnesses and there was no jumping around/over each other, leads getting tangled etc they were both so annoyed they couldn't get to run around off lead in the field as my neighbour had her dog up there who has terrible recall and always starts fights with moone. They'll just have to wait until tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Coco just puked up her breakfast :( Highly unusual for her.

I hope she's not getting a bug, I'm hoping she just may have eaten a bit too quickly. Benson (who had the exact same breakfast) is grand and doesn't seem out of sorts at all. Neither does she, yet. Fingers crossed.

Coco just puked up her breakfast :( Highly unusual for her.

I hope she's not getting a bug, I'm hoping she just may have eaten a bit too quickly. Benson (who had the exact same breakfast) is grand and doesn't seem out of sorts at all. Neither does she, yet. Fingers crossed.

Both mine have bad tummies - no more salmon heads! Thank god for iherb pet dophilis :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

She's in grand form, and if she is ever feeling off, she lets you know! Hopefully she just gobbled it too quick. I had a roast chicken yesterday so I'll use the remains to give her a chicken & rice dinner rather than raw, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭greenheart

Hi guys, which online supplier do people find the best. We have a new addition on the way (small terrier) and I'm trying to decide on what food to start him/her on.. I have read up a lot on differents brands and don't know which one to use? Too much info in my head going to explode!!!

• Advertisement

greenheart wrote: »
    Hi guys, which online supplier do people find the best. We have a new addition on the way (small terrier) and I'm trying to decide on what food to start him/her on.. I have read up a lot on differents brands and don't know which one to use? Too much info in my head going to explode!!!

It depends on what food you go for tbh - maybe do a search and decide which one you want to try first? Some eg Markus Muhle is only available from zooplus, where others are more common and would be available on lots of different sites so best to shop around for the best price eg NatureDiet would be available from zooplus/amazon/vetuk/medicanimal and lots of other sites

Poor Toby has a burst abcess on his cheek, we didn't even know he had one until he came downstairs with blood and gunge coming out of it. Our vets clinic is cancelled this afternoon so I can't get him in until tomorrow morning so I'm going to give it a good clean when my husband comes home from work tonight and let it drain out.

He was 2 or so, going on our vets guesstimate when he arrived last year, and he's got those very furry Tom cat cheeks they get, along with the big blocky head, if they aren't neutered before a certain age. He was neutered last year. I thought I heard cats howling in the distance last week but there wasn't a mark on him so just assumed it was mating somewhere in the distance. I've given him some metacam, he keeps trying to scratch it then yelps and jumps:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

greenheart wrote: »

Greenheart, do you have other dogs? If you only have a new small terrier, buying online is probably not much use to you, as 1 small terrier wont eat enough to justify a 15kg bag of food from an online supplier? Where are you based - there are some very good petshops around now. If you only have the 1 dog, it might be better to go to your local petshop and see what brands they supply, and just buy 2kg bags at a time - more expensive but it will be 'fresh'. I would recommend that you go for the best quality food you can afford. If its a grown terrier, it will be used to wet or dry food. ANything new you introduce will need to be introduced in small portions gradually, or can cause tummy upset. Look at the ingredients on the bags of food in your pet shop - first ingredients should be meat of some sort. There shouldnt be too much grain/cereals. Brands that are good and are generally widely available are BURNS, James Wellbeloved, Arden Grange. Pop in to your local pet shop, or let us know where you live and boardsies will let you know whats available locally and whats good.

If you have more than this new little terrier coming, there is a very good thread on here on the subject - people seem to use ZOOPLUS and AMAZON on here - there was a huge discussion on just this topic very lately

(If you only have the 1 small terrier, you could do home cooked food (chicken & rice or meat/veg etc and cook enough for a week at a time) - I dont do RAW, but there is tons of advise on it on here too. Good luck!

You can buy smaller bags online too..

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Anyone watch the new Game of Thrones episode yet? Serious bit of food aggression going on with Dani's dragons at this stage! She really should know better than getting involved when she did, though - I guess she does now anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

ferretone wrote: »
    Anyone watch the new Game of Thrones episode yet? Serious bit of food aggression going on with Dani's dragons at this stage! She really should know better than getting involved when she did, though - I guess she does now anyway :D

Now now, no spoilers for those of us who haven't gotten a chance to watch it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ferretone

Now now, no spoilers for those of us who haven't gotten a chance to watch it! :P

Ah, not a spoiler really, no plot there, just a screen moment, from right near the start too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

We have Alli three months as of yesterday, it feels like she's been around for so much longer! It's taken me a while to bond with her as I still miss frankie. I do love her though she's a "little" sweetheart, she is so protective of me just as frankie was. Although at the moment she stinks! I don't know how as she barely ever goes outside! She is also massively confused by the cats, she has to bark at them constantly! I think she forgets they actually live here and have been here years before her :D

ferretone wrote: »
    What did she think dragons would do, that's the point of dragons, I've read the books and there are times when I would have cheerfully throttled her for being such a wuss:)

I've got to get Toby in his carrier to go to the vets at 10, not looking forward to that.

Jazzy's in a weird mood this morning. Felix was sound asleep on the sofa and he just walked over and whacked him on the head for no reason at all, he's taking his life in his paws there.

• Advertisement

OMFG! Lucy rolled this morning 2 mins after we got into the park - thought I was going to puke with the smell! Had to race home and wash her and I'm sure I can still smell it!! PUKE PUKE! WHYyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

Been an odd day. Got the cat crate out of the shed this morning and went to get Toby off our bed. When I came down Jazzy was settled in the crate on the worktop while Poppy had a good climb all over the top of it. If I tried to put Jazzy in it usually one of us would have a nervous breakdown from the sheer stress of getting him in there:rolleyes:

The abcess is draining well, there's a big hole where it burst, poor little 6 kilo guy. I was just thinking of Bella, my husband's step fathers Rottie this afternoon and I got a text from my husband a few hours later to say that she'd died this afternoon:( She was a fabulous dog, built like a tank and so so clever and patient.

If she wanted your ciggy lighter you'd have to sit on it to stop her getting it and she'd wait beside you waiting for you to slip up so she could nab it. I don't know how many Sky remote controls she went through, but you couldn't leave a room without putting it up on top of a bookshelf to stop her getting it. Sad when they pass.

I swear I will never understand some people :mad:
    In fact the more I see of this type of attitude the more I think I prefer the company of a dog than a human :mad:

I volunteer at an animal rescue.
    Woman comes in to me today, says her son has a baby coming, two "big" dogs out in the tiny yard. No space. When baby comes, the dogs will have to go. Would we take them. I told her we are full to bursting, and probably not at moment. She asked me what her options were. Her solution was to 'let them stray'!!! I told her 1. the pound (she: how much?) I told her 2. Have them put to sleep (rather than 'let them stray') (she: how much?) I told her 3. Try to advertise them to rehome them (she: how much?) I told her 4. Ask someone in the family or a friend if they would have them. At this stage she knew I was worse than useless to her and stormed off since I wasnt going to help her. Poor dogs....

I know what you mean aonb. At the vet yesterday there was a couple with a 1 year old labrador. Lovely dog, but totally out of control. Apparently their daughter got the dog last year, daughter is now on placement as part of her degree and will be moving to Dublin next year to live in an apartment.

Mum and dad have been left with the dog, both of them really annoyed about it. The husband wants rid of the dog, especially since it demolished the sofa. Poor mother is caught in the middle between the daughter and her husband. People really need to think things through before commiting to a pet, especially a dog.

Since the daughter will be working really unsociable hours and the dog would destroy the flat, it's unlikely she'll bring it with her and by what I say yesterday Dad won't put up with it for much longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

I was asked at the weekend by someone if I knew a place that takes dogs. He has a nearly 1 year old jrt that's just stupid (kept calling it stupid :rolleyes:) and they've no time to train it and with a baby on the way it has to go. From what I gathered it's good with kids, they've two already the youngest of which is quite young so the dog should be well used of busy toddlers. The only reason for wanting rid is because it's just stupid and no time to train it. Not the first dog he's gotten rid of either.

We put some fresh bark chips in the garden a couple of weeks ago and the sun is shining on it this morning. Felix has been rolling around on it in a patch of sun making contented little meeping noises:)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sparkle_23

I want to have a bath and it has taken me 45 mins to find the stopper for the bath cause someone likes to play with it #catladyprobs

• Advertisement

sparkle_23 wrote: »
    I want to have a bath and it has taken me 45 mins to find the stopper for the bath cause someone likes to play with it #catladyprobs

My cat (RIP - 5 years in July :( ) was walking around the edge of the bath one time when I was in it...and he fell in lol!! :pac::pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement