Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone care to share how they're going to vote?

Options
  • 24-02-2011 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

I'm making my list up at the moment. I'm torn. Labour will be my first choice and, while FG would be my second choice, I'm tempted to put them low (very low) in my order of preferences in order to limit the chance of them getting any votes from me to try and avoid them getting enough seats to form a government on their own.

But who to give votes to next? I'm tempted by Sinn Fein. Would they be able to effect any real beneficial changes as leaders of the opposition? Independents? Greens (*shudder*)? FF can go and leap - I'm not putting them on the ballot at all.

My constituency is Dublin South Central. When I decide, I'll put up my choices and my reasons why. Anybody else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

As an aside, in my list of 18 candidates, I have three Labour, three FG, one Green, one SF, one FF, one Christian Solidarity Party, one People Before Profit (I consider these last two to be Independents effectively anyway), and SEVEN actual Independents. What's that about!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RetroBate

You're tempted by O'Snotty?

Sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

www.boards.ie/vote
    I'm tempted to put them low (very low) in my order of preferences in order to limit the chance of them getting any votes from me to try and avoid them getting enough seats to form a government on their own.
    If you don't want the FG candidate elected then do not vote for them. Putting them down low is still voting for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭Demonique

Fine Gael and Labour will be getting my votes

Who's O'Snotty btw?

Aengus O'Snodaigh - the only SF candidate in my constituency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Demonique wrote: »
    Who's O'Snotty btw?

Aengus O'Snodaigh. SF candidate.

http://www.sinnfein.ie/contents/14982

I am going Labour, SF, ULA and Independents (in that order). No votes for FF and FG off me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

1,2,3,4 FG in Galway West. There's a slight chance of a 5, but I'm undecided. It won't be Labour, Green, SF, or Connolly.

I'm in Dublin South West and my top 2 will be Labour (not a big supporter of them but I think they're probably the best on offer), followed by GP, SF, and FG in that order. Will give everyone a preference except FF.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Reilly616

xoxyx wrote: »
    I'm making my list up at the moment. I'm torn. Labour will be my first choice and, while FG would be my second choice, I'm tempted to put them low (very low) in my order of preferences in order to limit the chance of them getting any votes from me to try and avoid them getting enough seats to form a government on their own.

But who to give votes to next? I'm tempted by Sinn Fein. Would they be able to effect any real beneficial changes as leaders of the opposition? Independents? Greens (*shudder*)? FF can go and leap - I'm not putting them on the ballot at all.

My constituency is Dublin South Central. When I decide, I'll put up my choices and my reasons why. Anybody else?

Then just don't give FG any number in your vote. That's the only way to ensure that you won't help them get elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

1. S. Ryan (Labour)
    2. C. Conway (Labour)
    3. D. Cullinane (SF)
    4. J. Halligan (Ind)
    5. J. Collery (Ind)

Nobody else going on my list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭RetroBate

I'm in Dublin Central.

I'm open to bribary.

#1 Labour,
    #2 Labour,
    #3 Sinn Féin,
    #4 Independent,
    #5 Independent.

There are eight candidates who I will give no preference to. This is in no way due to lazyness, but rather the fact that I would not be happy with any of them gaining a seat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Alastriona73

No 1 - SF
    No 2 - Ind

Nothing for FF/FG/Lab/Greens

Reilly616 wrote: »
    Then just don't give FG any number in your vote. That's the only way to ensure that you won't help them get elected.

I know. I was thinking about it, but I'm going to run the risk. I'm not against FG; I just don't want them to get enough support to go it alone.

The way I figure, if it comes to a situation where every other candidate I support gets enough votes to get in and my vote trickles down to FG, then I don't need to worry about them getting a hold of enough seats to form a single party government!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,789 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

1. FG
    2. FG
    3. FG
    4. FG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

I'm going FG 1 and 2
    FF next.
    Then the others

nothing for Sinn Fein Labour IRA

I know. I was thinking about it, but I'm going to run the risk. I'm not against FG; I just don't want them to get enough support to go it alone.

The way I figure, if it comes to a situation where every other candidate I support gets enough votes to get in and my vote trickles down to FG, then I don't need to worry about them getting a hold of enough seats to form a single party government!!

It works the other way too. If none of the other candidates you support gets enough votes, and are knocked out, then your vote still goes to FG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭thebaldsoprano

Some mixture of independents and FG, but I haven't quite decided in what order...

Dr. Baltar wrote: »
    1. S. Ryan (Labour)
    2. C. Conway (Labour)
    3. D. Cullinane (SF)
    4. J. Halligan (Ind)
    5. J. Collery (Ind)

Nobody else going on my list.

Lol, exactly the same as me, just in a different constituency!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,482 ✭✭✭harr

sf
    labour
    ind
    ind

• Advertisement

Reilly616 wrote: »
    It works the other way too. If none of the other candidates you support gets enough votes, and are knocked out, then your vote still goes to FG.

That is a good point - I didn't think of that!! See, this is why Boards is great!! Ok - have to adjust my thinking cap on this.

That is a good point - I didn't think of that!! See, this is why Boards is great!! Ok - have to adjust my thinking cap on this.

Glad to be of assistance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 TheBun

Galway West. Not voting F.F , F.G, or Labour They are the same but in name,
    Connolly Num 1 Eamon Walsh 2 Thats it

To Prove a point Election Lit delivered yesterday evening by the one man at the same time by a private delivery company. Very poor english could not explain why he was delivering leaflets from Frank Fahey F.F. and Hilda Naughton F.G. at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,327 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Independant pringle
    sf doherty

and might give 3 to fg mcginley
    although why i should vote for a man whose main aim is to be speaker
    When the county needs proper representation

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

#1 Dr Reilly (FG)
    #2 Farrell (FG)
    #3 Kennedy (FF)
    #4 O'Brien (FF)
    #5 Sargent (Green)

or

#1 Kennedy (FF)
    #2 Dr Reilly (FG)
    #3 Farrell (FG)
    #4 O'Brien (FF)
    #5 Sargent (Green)

Not decided quite which of those 2 variations yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 grainnemhaoil

1. FG
    2. FG
    3. FG
    4. FG
    5. LAB
    6. GP

No votes for FF because of what they did to this country re: lack of regulation in property, planning and finance. The consequences of their actions should not be a return to power. They have to be held accountable for the state they left the place in. I don't understand why everyone can't see this and why people would still vote for them. FG deserve a chance. Will probably end up with the same circus but different clowns, but sure what can you do, you have to give them a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Louth:

1. O'Dowd (FG)
    2. Dearey (Greens)

and that's it

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

Labour and Sinn Fein will be getting my vote tomorrow, however this election was decided weeks ago, before the votes had even been counted nationwide.

The FG party will win the election, but thank whomever I have working brain still to know their going to be just as bad for this country, as the FF party were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭leincar

I voted already as I have a postal vote. My votes were:

1,2,3 Fine Gael
    4,5, Labour
    6-15 Independents and others

Nothing for FF or Green.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭claire2010

1. Labour
    2. Labour
    3. Ind
    4. SF