Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Compulsory" lecture preventing me from voting!

Options
  • 24-02-2011 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

A lot of engineers have a once-off lecture this Friday from 3-5 which directly coincides with the general election. (great timing there lads!) In advance we have been WARNED that it is compulsory and cannot be skipped under any circumstances.

Now unless your constituency is in a neighboring county or is galway itself, making it home on time to vote just isn't possible. So what are your views on this? Is it fair, to face academic consequences for exercising your constitutional right to vote?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm sure you'll get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

You can vote until 10pm, you'll be able to get home to vote unless you live at the top of Donegal or maybe Waterford or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭TheBunk1

Build a helicopter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Rob! wrote: »
    Now unless your constituency is in a neighboring county or is galway itself, making it home on time to vote just isn't possible.

If you're studying in Galway, your constituency is Galway. You should have registered to vote there. If you insist on keeping your registration elsewhere, the difficulties you face in getting to vote on time are entirely of your own making and your own problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

Well where do you live?
    Go home Thurs eve, vote @ 7.30am at home then straight back to Galway. Or get on the bus straight away after 5 and go straight to the polling station.

Ireland's not that big. If you care enough you'll make it work. If you just want to whinge about your lecturers and feel all deliciously put out about not getting a long weekend, you won't.

HTH

• Advertisement

gizmo555 wrote: »
    If you're studying in Galway, your constituency is Galway.

Absolute nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

I really don't see how it's not possible to make arrangements to vote.

What's the lecture?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Go home tonight, vote tomorrow morning and then head to college.

There is no college in Ireland you can't reach by 3pm if you leave in the morning

You can get Bus Eireann from Cork to Derry in less time and you're in Galway so easier still

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭xEmily2011

A lot of engineers have a once-off lecture this Friday from 3-5 which directly coincides with the general election. (great timing there lads!) In advance we have been WARNED that it is compulsory and cannot be skipped under any circumstances.

Now unless your constituency is in a neighboring county or is galway itself, making it home on time to vote just isn't possible. So what are your views on this? Is it fair, to face academic consequences for exercising your constitutional right to vote?

I know what you mean. I'm not in college yet, but i plan on going to Galway and the length of time it takes to get to Waterford is atrocious...It took 6 hours when i went for the open day.
    I do, however, agree that you could head home tonight and vote at 7 am and head straight back up. It is dedication to both, but if its something you wanna do, then definitely do it.
    Alternitavly, you could get a sibling to do it for you...I know its not very practical but tell them who you want to vote for and get the poling card to them. It might be your only option if you cant get home and dont wanna waste your vote :)

xEmily2011 wrote: »
    Alternitavly, you could get a sibling to do it for you...I know its not very practical but tell them who you want to vote for and get the poling card to them. It might be your only option if you cant get home and dont wanna waste your vote :)

Eh no you can't do this. I realise you're probably under 18 but you should still have enough civics education to know that this is fraud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Funny how they arranged for the lecture to be on during RAG week...

Is it fair, to face academic consequences for exercising your constitutional right to vote?

Ah would ya stop

Sort it out, I'm sure if you really want to vote you will make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Eh - it's not Rag Week in NUIG until next week...

Absolute nonsense.

Absolutely correct. The OP or any other full-time 3rd level student can register to vote in the constituency where their college is located. Since they can register there, it is by definition their constituency.

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Absolutely correct. The OP or any other full-time 3rd level student can register to vote in the constituency where their college is located. Since they can register there, it is by definition their constituency.

They can, but they are not required to as the earlier posting was suggesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Even if you are from waterford, that trip is only 3.5 hours long, and don't tell me differently cause i travelled home every week from galway city for a year! So you'd easily be home since 5 + 3.30 = 8.30! Voting stops at 10pm.

It appears you have two choices then: go home tonight and vote tomorrow morning, then travel to galway for the lecture, or go home after it. Surely you have an idea of which to do? I'd doubt it's the first time you've travelled home from Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Ficheall wrote: »
    Eh - it's not Rag Week in NUIG until next week...

It's actually College week next week and RAG week (albeit GMIT's) this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Caliden wrote: »
    It's actually College week next week and RAG week (albeit GMIT's) this week.
    Yeah it's GMIT RAG week, but real RAG week is next week.

Eh no you can't do this. I realise you're probably under 18 but you should still have enough civics education to know that this is fraud.

I am 18, i do realise its fraud, but if this person really wants their vote to count, a sibling COULD do it for them with the votes they wish to place [if there is a mojor problem in making it home]. But as a family member, it is somewhat acceptable if the other member of the family, MUST be at their college lecture.
    I was not stating a fact that this person SHOULD get a sibling to vote for them, but it is an alternative to missing their vote altogether!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

Ok, to make everything so much clearer - I live in south cork. The only citylink bus after my lecture is 6:30. (i travel this route weekly and it never reaches cork city before 9:45) From there its another 30 min (minimum) journey home for me.

And bus eireann despite leaving half an hour earlier is much worse. (goes to ennis and shannon, stops in lim for lik 20 min etc.) so that ends up being far longer a journey again.

BUT to those not in engineering, the primary problem i had was that, considering we usually finish @ 1 on fri, AND considering we have lik approx. 30 frickin weeks in the academic yr, why oh why would you schedule a once-off compulsory lecture on the same day as a general election. i mean really..... :/

And as for going home this evening (which i have decided to do - thank you for the common sense suggestion ;) - well its costing me an extra 20 quid. *sigh* - rag week funds depleted right there!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭clouds

You'll be giving up a lot more than e20 drink money no matter who gets in. Still fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Rob!

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll get over it.

I get quite teary eyed of these things you know! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,471 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I am 18, i do realise its fraud, but if this person really wants their vote to count, a sibling COULD do it for them with the votes they wish to place [if there is a mojor problem in making it home]. But as a family member, it is somewhat acceptable if the other member of the family, MUST be at their college lecture.
    I was not stating a fact that this person SHOULD get a sibling to vote for them, but it is an alternative to missing their vote altogether!
    Your sibling could also get caught and go to jail. That might be a slightly more major problem then being "unable" to go home for 20 minutes

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and dark mode). Now available through the extension stores

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I get quite teary eyed of these things you know! :P

I know what you mean. It is a hard decision to make as it means missing an important lecture or not having a say in the next government to ruin our country :L It is a very tough decision :( But well done in deciding to spend some drinking money on it (Y)

28064212 wrote: »
    Your sibling could also get caught and go to jail. That might be a slightly more major problem then being "unable" to go home for 20 minutes

it was a simple suggestion, i hardly thought of the severe consequences that could happen. Sincerest ****ing apologies :)

They can, but they are not required to as the earlier posting was suggesting.

I suggested no such thing. To the contrary, I acknowledged that students can, if they insist, register elsewhere than the constituency where they study. But if they do, could they please spare us the perennial whining which breaks out from students on this subject at each election?

no a sibling couldn't do it ffs! Its not acceptable under any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

no a sibling couldn't do it ffs! Its not acceptable under any circumstances.

being pedantic, anyone can vote for anyone else. just like i can break into a bank later on and steal all the money (if there's any there).
    it's just the whole legal reasons thing that's a balls..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

just get someone to sign you in for the lecture, nice and easy!

• Advertisement

being pedantic, anyone can vote for anyone else. just like i can break into a bank later on and steal all the money (if there's any there).
    it's just the whole legal reasons thing that's a balls..

:rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement