Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starcraft II Midlans Competition

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Now as for online play is concerned, its 90% confirmed that there will be 4/8 PCs on the dedicated 8mb connection for the Starcraft II competition. The specs of the PCs are tbd but they can handle the game on high specs. You can use your own keyboard/mouse on the PCs so your macros won't feck up (your control settings are saved in your profile so don't worry about that). The only other option to this is that we get 4/8 or maybe even 16 of ye to bring your own PCs and stick you in the dedicated connection area, which means you may need to share your PC if interest is high (from what I gather, there's a large number of COD/CSS players also playing the SCII competition).

From what Im getting at this paragraph here is that the internet connection is limited to certain machines?

I and a few others will want to play starcraft only thorughout the LAN, Im a fan of other games, but dont play them enough to be intrested in anything else, and prefer to just play starcraft pretty much all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Columc wrote: »
    From what Im getting at this paragraph here is that the internet connection is limited to certain machines?

I and a few others will want to play starcraft only thorughout the LAN, Im a fan of other games, but dont play them enough to be intrested in anything else, and prefer to just play starcraft pretty much all the time.

What he said. I'm coming for SC2 only and really don't have intentions, or want, to play any other game.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Well what the plan is, is to give an entire table the dedicated internet, they are also connected on the LAN to the other 100+ players. Will be talking to the lads soon enough so I'll get the lowdown

And, if that is the case, what other games other than SC2 will require the internet?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

None, just the usual Steam login but that can be done easily

• Advertisement

So it's basically going to be reserved for the SC2 players and their PCs only or will PCs be provided in that area?

Yes reserved and probably both so it seems. Will get back to you with as much info as possible soon

Cherryghost, if it wasn't for you we'd be completely in the dark with regards to this so thank you from all of us, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭freepower

Aye, thanks for the info - if I see you at a tourney remind me I owe you a drink. :)

I forgot to ask Cherryghost but does that mean that the SC2 players don't need to bring their own PC and if they don't do they get access to those PCs 24/7 if they're pretty serious (like me!!!!)? And vice-versa, if we do bring our own PC and don't use the desktops provided will we still get access to the internet for the entire duration of the event?

• Advertisement

If you don't want to bring your PC, we can organize a limited number of PCs you can use 24/7, however its probably very limited, and reality is that a few PCs NEED to be available for other users to hop on and play for the competition and such.

Then if you bring your own PC with sole intentions of the Starcraft II competition, then yes, you're put on the 8mb line for the weekend. That's my understanding of it anyway. I'll be finally in contact with the lads tonight so we can put this to rest! :D

Quick update lads!

- Minimum prize pot is €100
    - Increments of 30 euro added per 10 players thereafter, so think we could get around 150-170 total.
    - There will be a dedicated table (or 2 if signups are high) for Starcraft II players.
    - At the time of typing there will be 2 hop on/hop off PCs at the end of the table, I'm in the process of getting 2 more :D

EDIT: Signup sheet is here

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 327 ✭✭zoom!

Where do I sign up for a place at the table, I've already signup up for the LAN

You don't need to sign up for the table, there'll be plenty of space for players, don't worry :D

Signed up. So to confirm, there will be 2 PCs there for the official Tournament games and hopefully another 2?

Signed up. So to confirm, there will be 2 PCs there for the official Tournament games and hopefully another 2?

Yep :)

I suggest you bring mouse/mousemat/keyboard of your choice of course

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

...holy **** they have the internet in Westmeath...?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Email received
    Midlans wrote:
    Hi all!

The prize pot for Starcraft 2 has been announced. Up to 250 euro split between the top 3 players.

Currently Thermaltake, MemoryConfigurator and Thermalright are sponsoring the event.

Please sign up and book your seat, if you haven't done it yet. http://midlans.org/2011signup.html

Thanks and see ye at the Lan,

the MidLans team

http://midlans.org

Yep :)

I suggest you bring mouse/mousemat/keyboard of your choice of course

I will, and possibly a PC as well although I'd rather not show the world my piece of ****.

I will, and possibly a PC as well although I'd rather not show the world my piece of ****.

Sure isn't that half the fun :pac:

I have a spare 9600GT if anyone needs it anyway

• Advertisement

Any idea what length of cable we'll need for the internet?

LAN cables are provided at the venue

Awwwwwwwwwesome. <3

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

Hmmm any idea what the timeframe for the sc2 tournament will be?, dont think I can sacrifice a whole weekend but would be willing to go for the day as I live relatively close

Pyro is aiming for a Saturday evening/night timeframe. Friday night is usually console comps as well as competition practice/****ing around, Saturday morning/afternoon/evening is FPS games,then Sunday is usually the round up of the main games finals.

Advertisement