Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starcraft II Midlans Competition

Options
  • 24-02-2011 12:49pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, just thought I'd let you know that Midlans is running an official competition of Starcraft II this year. They'll have a net connection so dont worry ;)
    The competitions for the upcoming event have been announced. This time there is a total of 9 competitions. In a renewed effort to attract teams which have been to MidLans before and teams new to MidLans, we have brought back cash prizes for the two most popular tournaments.
    Amongst other competitions MidLans Spring 2011 will feature:

Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare (Prize pot up to €1150)
    Counter Strike Source (Prize pot up to €1150)
    Starcraft 2
    Super Street Fighter 4
    Call of Duty 2
    Pro Evolution Soccer

Starcraft II will be a monetary competition, but the prize pot is tba AFAIK. Time to brush up on my skills :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

HThey'll have a net connection so dont worry ;)

This fully confirmed as there is no LAN option at all so every game has to be played via internet

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I know but they added Starcraft II as fun games last year despite a limited connection (awful awful mistake), so this year they're sorted for it.

I know but they added Starcraft II as fun games last year despite a limited connection (awful awful mistake), so this year they're sorted for it.

Thats good to hear, a big group of the SC2 players are intrested in going, just hopfully the internet can support us as when we had our LAN in dublin it took a while for everyone to get sorted to play online with the bad battle.net system.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

You know, you could always just ring up Blizzard and ask them to facilitate the LAN feature. They're pretty open to it as long as it's not too big.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

You know, you could always just ring up Blizzard and ask them to facilitate the LAN feature. They're pretty open to it as long as it's not too big.

Got any more details on that? :)
    *facepalm*

Also, i really hope they don't think an o2 dongle will be adequate internet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

Sounds good, I'll probably go if it looks like there'll be decent numbers for SC2.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭freepower

I would definitely be up for it - I suppose it's no bother if I want to show for just the SC2 and not the other bits of the event?

freepower wrote: »
    I would definitely be up for it - I suppose it's no bother if I want to show for just the SC2 and not the other bits of the event?

Remember its a BYOC

Well, I'll have to wait till the prize pool is announced then before deciding. :P

Broadband confirmed for the event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

What is the appearance fee going to be like for this event?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Orizio wrote: »
    What is the appearance fee going to be like for this event?

€35 - full event fee. Usually assumes you're not just going for the one tournament (or if you are, that you will play away for the rest of the hours). Covers tournaments and prize pools (as you can see, a fair proportion has been attributed to CS & CoD)

🤪

I'd be going only for SC2. Can't be arsed with the other games. How far away is the facility from the town, want to be able to do other **** with my GF when not playing SC2.

Also, when is the SC2 prize pool going to be announced?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

Any update on whether there will be any prizes for this?, Css and cod4 arnt half has popular in Ireland now a days compared to sc2 afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Deadloc

I go to midlans every year.

But with a SC2 tournament...

:D

Wouldn't get too hyped. They haven't said sh*t about the internet quality yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Khazidhea

Doesnt COD require the same type of connection like SC2? So it should be okay ... imho.

Anyway this looks to be the next SC2 tournament in Ireland :D Would love to go.

Is this

http://midlans.org/

official website? Looks poor tbh, cant find any info and there is no updates (especially prizepool for sc2) for a long time (23rd february, come on).

Aye, that's the site. There's another Thread on Boards about the event in general though:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056160774

Also came across this:

http://midlans.org/for/index.php?topic=653.0

Might want to check it out and let them know just how many people really are interested in this. I like how he said "3rd most popular" game :_))))))))))))))

EDIT:

Also came across this:

http://midlans.org/for/index.php?topic=650.0
    will be up to 8mb DSL and few 7mb 3g brodbands

Can that **** even run SC2?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Well yeah, that was me trying to get an answer. I got one of the admins on Steam now so I'm gonna try get some answers

• Advertisement

Out of interest, and having never been to MidLans before, how many people actually turn out for the other games? If you take the LAN we had in Dublin, organised by RM, we had a full 32 (more even) person event for 12 hours. I don't think we're going to get that many this year because of exams and **** around the time of MidLans, but are there really many more than 30 people actually turning up to play other games than their main one? Personally, I really don't care about anything else other than the SC2 and to meet up with some of the lads from the LAN in Dublin but this time I'm going to come with my GF rather than by myself considering space isn't limited if you're staying the night which means it would have been easily possible to get more than 32 turn up for SC2 alone, but I guess it won't happen anyway.

So how many people, in general, show up in tootal for the LAN and how many people, per game, are generally present as well?

EDIT: I've had a look voer the official MidLans page and noted a few things:
    We are hoping to provide sponsored prizes for the top 3 players of each competition! As prizes are being provided by our sponsors and it usually being unclear exactly what prizes and how many are being donated, we can't guarantee for all places of all competitions to receive prizes. All prizes provided will certainly however be as evenly distributed as possible.

Can someone please explain why something hasn't been announced for the other games and it has for the two FPS-based ones?
    The event organizers do not have any intention of restricting the number of tournaments participants may enter

How many can the facility hold?

It constantly repeats stuff about having to sign up and all this lark. I assume this is done on the day and at the door. Do you have to pay entrance even if you have no interesting in playing anything (My GF, for example is only coming to spend some time with me, we don't plan on spending 48 hours in the place) or is there going to additional costs to enter in the tournaments on top of the 30€?
    Starcraft 2 Competition

sc2.JPG

This competition is pending network requirements and event time limitations. Further details will be announced in due course.

Platform: PC
    Admin: freewareplayer
    Players per Team: n/a
    Gametype: 1v1
    Format & Rules:TBA
    Maps:TBA

Can anyone tell me who this guy is, what's his online ID and how any of us can get in contact with him as I really CBA stabbing in the dark anymore?

Sick of bad organisational skills and a lack of communication with the people involved so I went ahead and made this over at the official Forum. Awaiting eagerly for a reply.

http://midlans.org/for/index.php?topic=627.msg4291#msg4291

Right I got some words back.

Internet connection is Eircoms 8mb NGB broadband as well as a couple of 3G dongles. Everything will be blocked bar Steam/Battle.net/xfire/msn logins and email pages in order to ensure that everyone can log into the accounts smoothly.

Now as for online play is concerned, its 90% confirmed that there will be 4/8 PCs on the dedicated 8mb connection for the Starcraft II competition. The specs of the PCs are tbd but they can handle the game on high specs. You can use your own keyboard/mouse on the PCs so your macros won't feck up (your control settings are saved in your profile so don't worry about that). The only other option to this is that we get 4/8 or maybe even 16 of ye to bring your own PCs and stick you in the dedicated connection area, which means you may need to share your PC if interest is high (from what I gather, there's a large number of COD/CSS players also playing the SCII competition).

On the prizes, it'll be confirmed by the end of this week. The problem was demand and popularity of the game at the event. Whilst CSS/COD4/SSFIV would always guarantee numbers and hence a prize pot, Starcraft II can be a flaky affair if you get what I mean. So what will probably be done is that a small amount of cash will be taken from the CSS and COD4 MINIMUM pot prizes and added to the SCII one, which would mean the minimum prize no matter how many players attend would probably be about €100. For every person who signs up for Starcraft II but not CSS/COD4, another 10-20 euro would be thrown into the pot. Sounds a bit confusing but basically the Midlands lads will get the number of COD4/CSS/SSFIV players, take money from the entrance fees and then the number of players left which haven't signed up would get added to the SC2 pot. So if you know players coming to the SC2 competition only, you'll have some idea of what the prize pot is approaching (probably more than me).

The details will be clearer later this week, promise. I'm talking to the 2 main organisers either tonight or tomorrow night :P

Thanks a lot for confirming it. Also, with regards to PCs, I'm pretty sure most of us are bringing our own anyway.

I'm still curious about what the situation would be if you just wanted to arrive for SC2 and SC2 alone.

Although unfortunately it looks like my one chance to meet my first nephew is exactly over the LAN. (I guess Kaz can breath a sigh of relief) :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

freepower wrote: »
    I'm still curious about what the situation would be if you just wanted to arrive for SC2 and SC2 alone.

Although unfortunately it looks like my one chance to meet my first nephew is exactly over the LAN. (I guess Kaz can breath a sigh of relief) :(

Like during the 48 hours? is it far to travel and see your nephew?

tbh, the point of the lan is go and play many games, i guess you could become like the cs players and just play one game...

Nobody ever comes to play one game. Well.... they have the intention but its never the case :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

I went a couple of years ago,
    it does be a laugh.

I mainly went to play cod4 then,
    but the team I went with, we ended up playing the tf2 competition and placing first in that, and 2nd in cod4.

and couldnt help playing cod2, and the guitar hero all weekend :D

Xios wrote: »
    Like during the 48 hours? is it far to travel and see your nephew?

tbh, the point of the lan is go and play many games, i guess you could become like the cs players and just play one game...

Yeah, I'm reliant on public transport and he's going to be on the north coast.

It might work out if the sc2 event is the last day of the LAN, but otherwise my Easter is pretty packed and it's one or the other.

Ah well! The next RoyalMarine LAN should be good anyway. :D

• Advertisement

Some people only show for a day (not sure if there's discounts). The reality is that the FPS games would starting Saturday morning/afternoon after Friday evening and night of random games/practice. Things slow down Saturday night and then the decision is whether to start the strategy/console games between the FPS games or after it (usually its between it), so it'll probably be a Saturday evening/night/Sunday morning until its finished event for the Starcraft 2, with the possibility of everything coming to a standstill to watch the final Sunday morning :o

Advertisement