Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storyland 3 *Megathread*

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 davetheminogue

Hey TheTrain,

As writer & director of 'Rent a Friend' in this years Storyland I would respectfully like to disagree with some of the points you made.

Coming from the streets so to speak (as in I've only ever made stuff for youtube) I have found RTE's role in the production process to be helpful and very hands off- well more so than I would have thought. We've only been ever asked to review things in the same way any producer would ask a director/writer to rethink something.

The end result of each episode really comes down to the team behind it. If it's not good RTE are not really to blame. If you look at the shows that were commissioned it would be hard not to agree that these shows chosen were not original (ish ;) ).

Execution is the key. Maybe RTE should be more critical of the end result of an episode but being fair, if Rent a Friend is ****, it's my fault.

This is my first production with a crew, it's our first production with a budget (thanklessfilms) and the experience so far has been fantastic. Without Storyland we'd still be making ****ty stuff for youtube that nobody watches...now we're just making ****ty stuff for RTE that some people watch.

Obviously my argument comes from a different side of the fence but genuinely, for us, Storyland has been a godsend and a great opportunity, regardless if we progress further into the competition.

But I do agree; this voting system is horrible and it completely takes away any sense of joy in accomplishing the episode. Begging for votes is not what story telling is about.

Having said that, please vote for Rent a Friend ;)

Dave
    http://www.rte.ie/storyland/episodes-rent-a-friend.html

Our second episode is up for votes, some love and sharing would be great!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

All Storyland 3 threads merged. Lets keep discussion in here please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Invisibleprince

Hi

Yeah I am a bit biased, kind of chuffed and relieved to have something anything out of RTE after so many years being ignored, couldnt even get them to read my stuff, I think they will now, co-wrote a C4 thing and this too, but still of course it is an impossible business.

Actually I dont think RTE are doing too badly really compared to BBC etc right now. RAW is comparable to a lot of the so-so drama on BBC and TRIVIA and SAVAGE EYE are comedy you could bring home to mother.

Also they did put me in touch with a really cool producer and DOP and sound person etc that I will work with again, even for almost no money.

The downside is that it is B.S. begging people for votes, it is demeaning and if you are sacrificing stuff already to "express your creative side" it really strips you of the option of being private, introspective and living in a fantasy world which someone concentrating on making fictions should do.

I am a bit less bitter about RTE than I was 15 years ago when I couldnt get an interview from them etc etc but I also have less interest in the Irish market in general, I am writing for the English market, which reminds me thats what I am meant to be doing.

And getting into comics of course, but that is another thread!

thanks for compliments on the show btw, delighted people appreciate it, the next episode is out today, we survive a little bit longer!

:D

http://www.rte.ie/storyland/episodes-the-last-security-man.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Invisibleprince

Hi

Episode III is being filmed the day after tomorrow, the STORYLAND incredibly fast turnaround continues!

SPIELBERG and SIDNEY LUMET (RIP, brilliant director, 12 Angry Men, The Pawnbroker, Dog Day Afternoon,
    Serpico and still made movies in his 80s) both credit their ability to work fast on their films on their experience working in TV. If that is the case then working on internet series must be great experience for working on TV, thruning around 3 mins per day, and not even full days, depending on the availability of the actors. I ramble.

This episode it all kicks off, we venture out beyond the shopping centre, new characters are introduced and things escalate.
    The previous two episodes are here of course.

http://www.rte.ie/storyland/episodes-the-last-security-man.html

No voting for a couple weeks now, which is nice. It is a relief to have come so far, we will get three episodes into the story, it will be somewhat tragic if we dont get to episode 4, leaving the whole thing unfinished, cos 4 has so many mad funny jokes in it.

One day at a time eh?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I just watched the second episode of Rent A Friend.

Great episode, good jokes and that little kid is hilarious!

Hi,

The 3rd episode of Rent a Friend has gone live and needs some votes. Please watch, vote and share it!

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭MeerKat17

Lucky Run, The last Security Man and the outlaw Concey Ryan have all made it through to the finals!

My vote is for Lucky Run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It's a shame Rent A Friend got eliminated ahead of Lucky Run. Thought it was a lot more original.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

I thought Rent A Friend deserved a spot, but glad The Last Security Man is still there.

• Advertisement

Hello,

We at Rent a Friend have gone and finished our series. We would have had out earlier but when you're shooting on favours your schedule flexes, bends and stretches to everyone elses time!

Please give it a share if you enjoy it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-0ZewNwnsE

Thanks
    Dave

Advertisement