Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storyland 3 *Megathread*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Who's yer man with the long hair in Promo 1? He seems familiar.

The 2nd promo doesn't tell the audience anything about the show though. For something that long I'd be expecting to get a bit of info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 davetheminogue

David Thompson is the guy with the long hair.

And 'promo' might be a bit misleading. It's more of a teaser of sorts.

http://www.rte.ie/storyland/

So the first 4 Storyland entries are now live on the RTE website. What does everyone think?

Here's my thoughts:

Lucky Run - The owes money to a gangster mixed with 'dude where's my car'? storyline doesn't do anything for me. There's nothing in the first episode that wasn't in the trailer really, it's all just so dull. It's boring and by far the weakest and most unimaginative of the lot. Perrier's Bounty did this storyline last year (and did it badly) - can't understand why RTE think adding a pregnant girlfriend and a loss of memory into it will make it any better.

Street Cobra - Going by what I'd previously seen of Street Cobra on Youtube I thought this was going to be better than it was. Some good gags but the sucked into a computer game thing isn't great. Hopefully it'll get better.

Free House - Jaysus. Let's see how much story we can cram into 2 minutes! Nearly turned it off after the meets a girl, sneaks into his house during a funeral, tries to ride a girl in his room nonsense at the start. Way too much crammed in there and it made it unbelieveable.

It picked up with the bitch-slap fight with his brother and the toilet gag. There's some good writing in there so hopefully now that the set up is out of the way it'll improve. Hard to buy he'd just find his dead father and not be too bothered though.

The Outlaw Concy Ryan - Expected more from this one. The Limerick accent isn't inherently funny so the lines need to be a lot tighter. One or two good lines but the dip-to-black style with the same little musical sting under it all the time wore a bit thin for me. The set up took too long as well, didn't need to spend as much time as they did introducing the location - perhaps they should have just landed us into Concy at his house after the opening titles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 StreetCobra

Hey everyone!

Joe from the Street Cobra team. Just wanted to say I'm enjoying reading the feedbak. Can't say fairer than that for our reviews anyway.
    I'll be the first to admit we had some 'Act 1' problems, both technically and from a story setup standpoint.

Glad and flattered the initial poster had seen the little things we'd done previously. And maybe we should have just played it safe and remade what we'd done, but there's nothing like an opportunity to make you through out what's worked and start getting ambitious, but a ridiculous concept and two ridiculous characters is a lot of ridiculous to set up and use in five minutes for the casual viewer, I will admit.

And in relation to all the comments about the production values, I can't speak for the others but I'm sure they'd say the same, I don't know what happens to the files when they're transcoded but the quality seems a lot lesss then we'd hoped.

I can say with my hand on my heart that ours (apart from a few shots at the start we didn't realise were underexposed until the edit and had to be artificially bumped up in the grade) looks GOOD. We had a full HD copy that flowed well and you've no idea how much it BREAKS MY HEART to see the way it's turned out. And because ours is full of graphics and motion it seems to judder the whole thing to a halt.
    We were just saying how frustrating it is that something three of us can knock out in an afternoon and lash up on youtube looks 50 times better than the thing you spent weeks and a load of money on (and the money IS on the screen)

Especially, when you're hassling all and sundry to go and watch/vote for it!

Anyway, we've learned a lot and now I know how they're going to be shown, if we do manage to scrape through(fingers/toes/knees/elbows crossed) we can make adjustments and focus less on the visuals and more on the characters and their interactions, because two people bickering in a room will be passably watchable at low quality and we've already had some really good ideas. I now see why everyone goes for the mocumentary.

Anyway, really glad to know people are out there watching and also can I just say how heartening it is to read some rational criticism and analysis rather than the usual.....

'Dis iz ****!! I H8 deez duckheads!! Ure not funnie!! Hope U die!'

.....sort of stuff that normally people are so eager to share.

Right, that's my two hundred cents worth.

Well, hopefully I'll be back to explain what went wrong with episode two, but either way I'm looking forward to reading more!

Cheers, Lads (I sexistly assume)

Joe

franlk wrote: »
    Me thinks you may be rooting for the second batch of entries in storyland and you want to bash everyone in this pool.

Not at all. I'm offering honest critiques of what I watched and giving credit where I think it's deserved. Obviously these are just my opinions and other people will think differently.

As StreetCobra above appreciates, we're just giving our honest opinions, hardly just trying to bash everyone in the group - and for the record I have nothing to do with any of the entries in either group.

I've never seen any of Outlaw Concy Ryan's previous stuff on Youtube - can you post some links?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Hey everyone!

Joe from the Street Cobra team. Just wanted to say I'm enjoying reading the feedbak.

Nice to see gracious acceptance of feedback. Good luck with future episodes. :)

Our first episode has gone live, voting is open till next Tuesday

http://www.rte.ie/storyland/episodes-rent-a-friend.html

(vote for us)

Our first episode has gone live, voting is open till next Tuesday

(vote for us)

Hey Dave. Some nice funny moments in that.

The two leads work well together. I'd say ye'd sail through the other group - you're facing stiff competition from The Last Security Man and the Masterplan though.

Cheers anon,

Competition is definitely tougher in this round and we're up against people with big fan bases so it'll be a hard one to call.

Hey check out our entry this years storyland and then if you like it please give us a vote

Also, check out our promo's here http://www.youtube.com/user/Thanklessfilms

• Advertisement

I watched the Masterplan there. It was quite funny. Like School of Rock but with more surreal humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

The Masterplan and The Last Security Man are definitely the best of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 leecronin

One last push on the final day of voting! If you still haven't voted why not give The Masterplan a blast? Think of the kids...

Cheers,

Lee

http://www.rte.ie/storyland/episodes-the-masterplan.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Batch 2 is way better than the previous one, and I'd agree on the Masterplan and The last security guard being the best 2. Better production values, better gags than any of the other entries so far.

Interesting to note that The Masterplan is the only show that's not 'for mature audiences'. I hope Storyland's more studenty, 20-30-something base won't hurt it. Wartgirl is a decent idea but the acting is a bit wooden (and who discusses genital warts with their ma?), while I wasn't too keen on rent-a-friend. Still, there's no outright stinker in the group.

geeky wrote: »
    (and who discusses genital warts with their ma?),

That's her Da I think isn't it?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    That's her Da I think isn't it?

The woman at her kitchen table who's trying to cheer her up, then takes her out to meet the"muffia"? Unless.... :eek:

One hell of a twist.

The woman at her kitchen table who's trying to cheer her up, then takes her out to meet the"muffia"? Unless.... :eek:

One hell of a twist.

It was her Da in the trailer.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It was her Da in the trailer.

Ah right - either I've made a major mistake or they changed it. Still, a dad is just as 'WTF'!

Ah right - either I've made a major mistake or they changed it. Still, a dad is just as 'WTF'!

Dad in drag. Always a winner.

Results for the second group are out. Wart Girl has been eliminated - can't say I'm surprised really, the other three were much better.

• Advertisement

Huge thanks to all who supported and voted for The Masterplan. Congrats to all the other qualifiers - see you in round two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Invisibleprince

Hi Everyone

I am one of the creators of this STORYLAND The Last Security Man

http://www.rte.ie/storyland/episodes-the-last-security-man.html

I am interested does anybody think Storyland is a great/terrible idea? Has anybody any horror stories about things that have happened to them in the course of their attempt to win? It would be interesting to hear.

Also do people think it is fair? It is based on votes and not quality so that in intself could be an imbalance, it also encourages populism, to the detriment of quality. Put it this way, if THE WIRE was up against IRELANDS GOT TALENT which would win?

RTE have said that it is a way of getting teams together, and for us it worked, we met some great new people and got the chance to work with them.
    Some cynical people have suggested that it is a way to direct traffic to the RTE website increasing its profile, advertising revenue etc
    Do people have any experience in this either?

Lets Discuss!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

On a side note, I just watched The Last Security Man and loved it!! Very funny stuff, well-shot (especially the drunken night out) and brilliantly acted. Good job!

I'm not a huge fan of the voting system. It seems whoever has the best Facebook networkers will generally do very well. But then again I suppose that is how the industry works. Ypu gotta pimp it, so to speak, any way you can and viral marketing is a big thing these days.

FWIW, I quite liked the Last Security Guard. Looked, sounded and was acted very well. That and the Masterplan are my two favourites at the moment. Both have potential to go places.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭AndyOHart

Yeah I actually really liked The Last Security Man, I will definitaly be voting for it.
    But I agree, I am hoping to enter the Storyboard thing in a few years when I improve my films, and I would hate to lose because of somebody just having more FaceBook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 TheTrain

Storyland is a marketing hack's idea of developing content. More interested in pestering demographics than nurturing talent. I know a lad who was involved in the first year and it was a disaster for him. Storyland is a cheap, cynical way for RTE of destroying new writers and ideas.

RTE commissioners are on massive salaries to choose and develop projects, not to pass the buck onto the All Ireland Talent Show crowd.

Hardy Bucks deservingly won the first year but from a fairness point of view they already had a years head start and tens of thousands of Facebook friends. There was also the fact it was advertised as a drama competition (notice now how people are only entering comedies.)

Hardy Bucks won the second year as well, seeing as the Zombie Bashers show was on the brink of elimination until they had the very clever idea of guest casting a hardy buck. Suddenly the show had an influx of votes and won the whole thing.

While on the surface Storyland looks like a good opportunity, I believe it is damaging and creates two tiers. The "proper" Clinic / Raw primetime mediocrity and the rushed lipservice to innovation (the Hardy Bucks TV show, which unfairly dethroned them from untouchable heroes to just more RTE celebrities in the vein of Jennifer Maguire and Baz.)

Given the track record of the people behind the Last Security Guard, a real broadcaster would bring them into proper script development for a full tv show, not have them beg from scraps from a popularity contest.

That said, well done on the Last Security Guard. I voted for the Masterplan myself but if Ireland had a real broadcaster around, there would be no voting. Both projects would get proper development.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 homerbert

Our new (and I'd like to think much improved) second episode of Free House is up. Please check it out, and maybe even vote for it at http://www.rte.ie/storyland/episodes-free-house.html

I took on board a lot of the feedback from here and elsewhere, so I think it works much better than the first.

Thanks,
    Eoin

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭v.e.r.b.a.l

I thought Rent A Friend was very funny. A great contemporary Irish comedy and the two lads were brilliant in it.

Episode 2 of our Storyland entry 'The Masterplan' has gone live!

If you like it please do spread the word!

"With Nickoli installed as their guide, the boys are ready to take the next step towards small town superstardom. But with no singer in the band James thinks it might never happen. Never say never."

http://www.rte.ie/storyland/episodes-the-masterplan.html

Thanks,

Lee

• Advertisement

Cheers V.E.R.B.A.L I hope we got your vote! I directed it and co-wrote it with Der who plays Der.

This is the link to the show, it would be great if people could watch it and vote for us and then if they fancied sharing it on their social networks that would be great too!

Advertisement