Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling All Naturalised Irish and Non White Registered Voters

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

dublin99 wrote: »
    Yes its a laugh when its slagging between friends, but not for respected politicians speaking in public! So why did Martin apologise? Why dont we see Cameron or Angela Merkel or Obama imitating accents when they speak in public?

Can you imagine the **** storm in this country if David Cameron put on an Irish accent. It doesn't bear thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Wow looking at the posts on this thread, a few conclusions can be made: Many of the posters manifest the type behaviour/ attitude of subtle racism. I have no idea if this is representative of the wider population, let’s hope it is not!

To those who referred to Afro-Americans being more likely to be criminals, you may not be aware that President George W. Bush issued a Racial Profiling Directive ten years ago in 2001 to condemn racial profiling. To quote : Racial Profiling is wrong and will not be tolerated. Racial profiling sends the dehumanizing message to our citizens that they are judged by the colour of the skin and harms the criminal justice system by eviscerating the trust that is necessary if law enforcement is to effectively protect our communities.

The views of some of the posters and their apparent ignorant to subtle everyday racism only confirms what we know about the problem – that people are not conscious that they are acting in a racist manner – but the fact that they are unconscious of it does not mean that it can be passed off as ignorant. Why did MM apologise if his impersonation of the Chinese accent wasn’t offensive? Without going into details of detailed complex academic studies etc, maybe some of you may get a better idea from this article by the British Journal of Medical Practitioners “Uncovering the face of racism in the workplace” (http://www.bjmp.org/content/uncovering-face-racism-workplace) which defines racism as “A belief that some races or ethnic groups are superior to others, used to devise and justify actions that create inequality between racial groups.” This is exactly the belief that some posters have manifested. It goes on to describe the subtlety of racism :“Like a virus that has mutated, racism has evolved into a new form that is difficult to recognise and harder to combat”

An African born Irish citizen told me last week that he was called a N*gger by a two year old Irish toddler. I wonder where the kid learned his vocabulary?

As to illegal immigrants, it is a fact that there are a large number of illegal immigrants (partly thanks to a corrupt government which for years were issuing visitors/student visas to anyone who paid a middleman), but did anyone of you vote for that government? What percentage of coloured people are actually illegal immigrants? Is it fair to treat all coloured people in a discriminatory manner and assume they are all illegal immigrants and speak little English?

As to the travellers, I have to admit I have few opportunities to come across them, but I note that Irish Equality legislation prohibits discrimination on 9 grounds : being a member of a traveller group is one of them.

I am glad that there are those who believe in Equality and work towards the promotion of Diversity and Integration. The Count Us In Campaign may not have succeeded in terms of educating people, but it highlights the difficulties faced by many and is a positive first step in raising awareness amongst the public of potentially serious social problems that may result, as we have seen in other countries. We all have a duty to work towards creating an equal society and a true multicultural Ireland.

This is utterly pathetic. You clearly just want victim status. You talk about all this casual racism manifesting itself but don't give any actual examples and do not respond when asked questions. You therefore cannot be taken seriously

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Can you imagine the **** storm in this country if David Cameron put on an Irish accent. It doesn't bear thinking about.

Yeah, we would have a Paddy, as the English say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

The Immigrant Council launched a Campaign "Count Us In" to raise awareness amongst candidates and canvassers that there are 35,000+ naturalised Irish citizens, and many more second generation migrants and other non whites who are eligible to vote tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt3dkLvyI74

Although none of the main parties have even mentioned the promotion of Equality and Diversity in the State in their agenda, we do exist and we'd like to live in a truly multicultural and integrated society. Multiculturalism has already failed in the UK and Germany and caused social problems in these countries.

Following my own very unpleasant experience with Mary Hanafin's canvasser and a callous "brush off" by Ms Hanafin herself, I urge every migrant who has a vote to exercise that vote tomorrow, and vote for candidates/parties who recognise and condemns racism. Hopefully we will raise awareness amongst politicians who will commit to promoting Equality and to make a difference to the way "foreigners" are treated.

So are Eastern Europeans 'white' or 'non-white'?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

So how did the naturalised and non-white (seems white non-nationals forgotten in the OP) candidates do? Anyone put up a good show?

• Advertisement
Advertisement