Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facebook grr - New communication or disaster?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

I deactivated my account yesterday and 3 hours later I was back on it again. It's waaay too addictive :(

again.....

http://www.facebook.com/help/contact.php?show_form=delete_account

if you stay off it for 14 days it is gone and you cannot sign back in. Whether or not Facebook still have all your info is another matter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

theres a comment on a thread in tll about someone whose boyfriend wont add her on FB, and people are baffled by it - seriously, WTF?

they are in a real life relationship, why the fcuk would they need to communicate via FB, surely they are actually spending time together IRL.?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Facebook is now an essential, if you don't have one you miss out on so much. I disactivated my account there recently for about a year and k may as well of disappeared off the face of the earth to some people.

What I hate about it though is the pics. It's so fcuking pathetic how almost every girl walks around with a camera in her hand ready to take a pic of anything remotely interesting. I was on the bus home from town recently and there was these three 14 yr olds sitting in front of me and they were chatting away, next thing one pulls out a digital camera and they start posing and putting on them stupid duck-beak lips or whatever... It was so sad like, and to think that's probably the case with so many young ones these days...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

THFC wrote: »
    I disactivated my account ... may as well of disappeared off the face of the earth to some people.
    Good? If people only keep in contact with you via one medium and have no real interested in keeping in actual human contact then feck them!

Not on it and never will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Great thread for our Facebook forum.
    From AH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

again.....

http://www.facebook.com/help/contact...delete_account

if you stay off it for 14 days it is gone and you cannot sign back in. Whether or not Facebook still have all your info is another matter!

Ya but I'm friends with many people all over the world and if I delete it for good then I'll loose contact with them :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

Ya but I'm friends with many people all over the world and if I delete it for good then I'll loose contact with them :(

ask them for their number/email first

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Seriously though, I would associate FB as a danger to mental health?
    I mean, its a shallow site.
    I sit down and put on tv, tv presenters talking about facebook. Isnt the world facebook mad??? Its unhealthy! And a bit mental.
    I go out on nights out and ive cameras shoved in my face all in the name of facebook!!! I mean, get a grip like??

All these idications point towards you deleting your account. You obviously have more negatives than positives about Facebook. That's the way it is, you either like it or don't. I like Facebook, I understand all the problems associated with it but it fades into the background as I realise its benefits.
    LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Facebook seems to have the virtual world by the balls over the last few years though.
    I dont remember bebo being THIS domineering!

Bebo was always popular in Ireland, England and some aspects of the continent and America. Facebook is global. Last count I remember was 500,000 million. Bebo was/is non-existent in comparision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Yeah the photos side of it is pretty pathetic. One of my friends became so obsessed with documenting her nights out(400 photos were taken on one night out a few months ago, from people to the bar signs...), I stopped going out with her, cause i had to have my pose on every 5mins. Got to the stage where i couldnt have fun without worrying where the camera was. Im not really into taking pics and posting them on a site to let people know ive a "busy life", so its really annoying!
    For that reason, ya its a fairly shallow life people my age are living right now.

And in reference to the relationships and FB, as pathetic as it seems to me now, my ex drove me round the bend with vulgar statuses after breaking up. I became a right stalker, trawling through his profile. However, if we didnt have the freedom of posting and tagging, building up an alter ego, I reckon it would all be different. I noticed facebook is a blessing for cowards like that. (wow getting personal, but you get what i mean?)

I think facebook is a huge deal because its been thrown in our faces every day. Its the new craze.

The era we're living in now is we want information, we get it. Its all take take..... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

THFC wrote: »
    Facebook is now an essential, if you don't have one you miss out on so much. I disactivated my account there recently for about a year and k may as well of disappeared off the face of the earth to some people.

no its not an essential.

i dont have a facebook account and i have no problem keeping in touch with my family and friends. i meet them in person, ring them, text them.

it's entirely possible to stay in touch without facebook, it just depends on how motivated the people are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭PhysiologyRocks

sam34 wrote: »
    no its not an essential.

i dont have a facebook account and i have no problem keeping in touch with my family and friends. i meet them in person, ring them, text them.

it's entirely possible to stay in touch without facebook, it just depends on how motivated the people are.

I agree completely, and I dislike facebook in general.

However, I do have an account, because it's the only way to hear about certain events (bar the grapevine, which can take significantly longer) and some people I know use it to circulate sample exam questions.

It makes things easier in these regards, but I don't actually use it to keep in touch with people.

Advertisement