Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death penalty for career criminals?.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

Spunge wrote: »
    Just do like that one planet in Star Trek, breaking any law is punishable by death, even walking on the grass, that turned out pretty well if i recall correctly

Didn't they randomly change the law week by week though?

Stupid sexy aliens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Just do like that one planet in Star Trek, breaking any law is punishable by death, even walking on the grass, that turned out pretty well if i recall correctly

Not really. It looked promising when Wesley was scheduled for execution but the the Star Trekkers found some legal loophole (or maybe just plain ignored the planets customs, I can't remember). Anyway the little snotball got away with it. :(

karma_ wrote: »
    Therein lies the problem. It would then become more profitable to lock as many people away as you can and any sense of justice or rehabilitation gets forgotten.

The serious crimes should be punished by experimentation or organ harvesting along with repeat offenders. The money saved by not having to deal with the people who insist on not acknowledgeing other peoples rights can be used to rehabilitate those that have made a poor decision or two.

The way i see it is why waste so much money on hopless cases when you can take that and put it into helping someone that made a rash or stupid decision?

bonerm wrote: »
    Not really. It looked promising when Wesley was scheduled for execution but the the Star Trekkers found some legal loophole (or maybe just plain ignored the planets customs, I can't remember). Anyway the little snotball got away with it. :(

Captain Picard talked some omnipotent alien protectors into his way of thinking as far as I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Stinicker wrote: »
    I'm in Thailand, I just witnessed a guy getting busted for drugs tonight, he is getting put to death next week for it. Do I have sympathy for him, absolutely not, a brilliant system and We could do with hanging quite a few scumbags at home, including the liberals who are the cause of most of our problems.

Of course, Dear Leader.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Quiet you wrote: »
    The serious crimes should be punished by experimentation or organ harvesting along with repeat offenders.
    There's a brilliant idea, you don't have to take all the organs at once,
    maybe you could do it with probation or good behaviour so that if they behave you don't take the other eye

and if they can't afford bail , we can keep their kidneys on ice

But seriously a lot of scumbags would be drug users so it's not really a runner is it ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

tvnutz wrote: »
    Some states in America have a 3 strike rule. 3 major convictions and you get life in prison. So basically it could be 3 armed robberies or assaults,no murder but still get life. Interesting idea I think.
    Get caught breaking into a house three times and it's game over.
    on the basis that there might be an altercation with a homeowner

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

But seriously a lot of scumbags would be drug users so it's not really a runner is it ?

We could make a grandfather clause where you forfeit the organs of all your descendants for...I dunno, let's say, 2 or 3 generations? To start with?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

A brit expat told me it happens here regularly and the guy will be given a right trouncing back in the cell in order to try get him to grass on his supplier and if he does this and they bust the supplier then the judge will probably show lenience and give him 40 years without the chance of parole, if he had a few million baht (a hundred thousand euro) and was a westerner he could walk free being able to buy his way out!

Well obviously that system works. *Must not press roll eyes* *Must not press roll eyes*

:rolleyes:

Dammit Stinicker, do you see what you've done?! Death to Stinicker!

Victor wrote: »
    Only for people who advocate for the death penalty ...

Doh!
    we could have a lottery amongst all the people who voted for the death penalty, and the 'winner' would get to throw the switch.

And if it turned out the convict was really innocent then the winners life would be forfeit because throwing the switch would have resulted in the murder of a innocent man. We just have another lottery - simples :D

Of course if DNA evidence later showed that the original convict was really guilty then - lottery !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I would like to see the death penalty brought back for a variety of reasons, which, when I have the time, I might mention here. But for now, yes, I do support the death penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Im for it for financial reasons. We cant afford to keep these people in Prison to prevent them from harming society and we need to free up prison spaces for other violent criminals who are in public destroying people's lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

A brit expat told me it happens here regularly and the guy will be given a right trouncing back in the cell in order to try get him to grass on his supplier and if he does this and they bust the supplier then the judge will probably show lenience and give him 40 years without the chance of parole, if he had a few million baht (a hundred thousand euro) and was a westerner he could walk free being able to buy his way out!

That's leniency? I was expecting them to walk out and get a relocation package like witness protection.

40 years without parole is some hellhole of a jail isn't much of an incentive to give up your suppliers.
    Some people would just take the noose instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

What if a father killed a man who raped his daughter, should he still be subjected to this

That would only be the 1 offence, hardly a career.

More than 5 convictions is more than enough to die for. If the message aint gettin through after 3 then its obviously never going to get through.

Take for example the guy in the news last week who did a 15 year sentence for attacking a girl, was released, attacked another girl within hours, got a 5 year sentence and was released . . . and attacked another girl within hours. . .

Fry motherfuker Frrrryyyyyyyyyyyy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

They need to be expelled from the country. Seriously. Citizenship revoked.

Build a complex of oil rigs somewhere in the middle of the atlantic and leave them to it. Regular supplies of food and medicine maybe but leave it at that.

We don't need to kill them but we shouldn't be obliged to keep them in our society/community either.

...maybe throw in one gun and wire the place up with hidden cameras for the craic :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

How about death for anyone who does nothing but start $hite threads in AH?

Stone_Roses and CorkMan the first two up against the wall, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Nah make them work for it. Turn the prisons into power plants.

There should be a wheel in every cell that when turned creates electricity. Prisoners should be forced to create energy, which is then added to the power net. This power output could be measured, and offset energy cost for disadvantaged citizens, & victims.
    Committing a crime would removed you & your imitate family from this benefit. Any surplus power could go to schools, hospitals, etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Set up a system similar to Stalin's Gulags for career criminals. A ****ty camp up on the coast of Donegal where they break rocks or do some other manual labour all day with ****e food and ****e quality of life. Don't kill them obviously but make it hard enough that they'll come out never wanting to return. The current system is a failure, it's just a training ground for career criminals, as the general put it "the Borstal was my primary, Pats was my secondary and the Joy was my university education". They come out of prison with more knowledge how to commit crimes and that's about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

I would be in favour for the death penalty in the cases of children/People being murdered or Raped. Only if DNA evidence had determined criminal 110% guilty. In the case of career criminals like robbers, drug dealers etc i would be in favour of 3 convictions then you automatically get life imprisonment. Ireland is far too liberal when it comes to criminal activity. If anyone else here remembers last year a Roma Gypsy woman got 4 years for beating her 3 year old daughter to death for wetting the bed. I wrote to Alan shatter at the time and was told that the government have nothing to do with how the Judiscial system operates here. Appalled was not the word. That woman should have been hung simple as. She admitted she did it but said she was depressed and didnt mean to kill her 3 year old. Bulls*&^. In USA she would be on death Row. But we will allow her back out in 3 years now to her free gaff and her lone parents payments. free to have more children. Ireland Stinks people, and the liberals stink the most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Jimmy the Wheel

It's all about utilising anything and everything for profit. We could make the prison service profitable.

The problem with doing things for profit is that can lead to all sorts of abuses...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/09/us/09judge.html?_r=1&ref=markaciavarella

As for the poster accusing liberals of being the source of the world's problems, the baby Jesus wept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

I'm in Thailand, I just witnessed a guy getting busted for drugs tonight, he is getting put to death next week for it. Do I have sympathy for him, absolutely not, a brilliant system and We could do with hanging quite a few scumbags at home, including the liberals who are the cause of most of our problems.

Yes let's follow the social and economic success that Thailand is!

Surely this advanced civilisation can teach us much in the ways of whoring out children, international peacekeeping activities, eliminating endemic poverty, universal healthcare, etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

What if a father killed a man who raped his daughter, should he still be subjected to this? What if someone was guilty then later proved innocent after they've been executed? What if god was one of us ? Just a slob like one of us.
    Your talking about one case which is not what the OP suggested.

I'm against the death penalty in most cases, especially for one crime but for someone who's racked up 30+ convictions doesn't deserve much sympathy. I wouldn't like to see someone killed for 30+ minor crimes like theft or drugs, but someone shown to be violent with lots of violent crime against other people shouldn't be let out, it's a waste of time trying to rehabilitate and it's a waste of money holding them in a room for the rest of their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Just electrocuting or shooting someone is a waste though. Why not harvest their organs?

Rapists, murderers and pedophiles destroy or otherwise end lives. Why should the tax payer be expected to foot the bill for containing these people when it would be easier to remove their organs and give them to somebody who deserves a second chance?

Lets not sule out medical experimentation either. Years are lost tetsting on animals before human trials can begin. We could cut the time it takes for new drugs to come to the market, create jobs in the pharmacuitical industry and sleep a little better at night knowing we haven't had to kill any animals and have gotten rid of a few monsters.

Just before all the "troll" comments come in, I'm serious. If you don't respect other peoples rights then as far as I'm concerned you forefit your own.

I just knew someone would start bleating about the fcuking "taxpayer" again.
    Don't like where your taxes are going? Then don't PAY your goddamn precious taxes! Don't justify killing someone becuse you don't like your taxes being spent on keeping them alive. What the FCUK!!!

Sadists the world over would be proud of ya!

tvnutz wrote: »
    Some states in America have a 3 strike rule. 3 major convictions and you get life in prison. So basically it could be 3 armed robberies or assaults,no murder but still get life. Interesting idea I think.

Yeah and there are guys who committed two petty crimes 30 years ago in their teens like shoplifting and got a short felony rap sheet. Then they straightened themselves out built a life for themsleves and contributed to society and started a family. Then some minor infraction when they are in their forties like punching a guy who groped their wife lands them an assult conviction and the rest of their days behind bars.

Yeah, brilliant fcuking system!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

3 major convictions
    did you read his post? he said 3 major convictions not 3 petty crimes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Yeah and there are guys who committed two petty crimes 30 years ago in their teens like shoplifting and got a short felony rap sheet. Then they straightened themselves out built a life for themsleves and contributed to society and started a family. Then some minor infraction when they are in their forties like punching a guy who groped their wife lands them an assult conviction and the rest of their days behind bars.

Yeah, brilliant fcuking system!

Well they could always try not assaulting people. Works for me!

did you read his post? he said 3 major convictions not 3 petty crimes

What he said was wrong. The three-strike rule as is implemented in the states allows for lifelong incarceration for 3 felonies. A felony can range from petty theft right up to murder. There are cases in the States of guys banged up for life for stealing a pizza.

mconigol wrote: »
    Well they could always try not assaulting people. Works for me!

Right. So the WHOLE system of law enactment, jurisprudence and punishment should be based around the behaviour, opinions and attitude of one single individual, namely you.

Even better system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭niallers1

Castration - This way they cannot breed another generation.

Advertisement