Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Death penalty for career criminals?.

Options
  • 23-02-2011 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭

Should we bring back the death penalty for career criminals?,the sort have over 50++ convictions,murder,kill,beat up,rob and be out in couple years time,irish prisons are filling up,bosses are still calling the shots from the cells,prison officers and gardai get death threats or slashed by the same criminals while on duty,yet we still feed them well,pay for their lawyers who give the judge the sob stories of their hardship,give them dole when get out,what do you think?.

Would you support death penalty? 71 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 71 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

I would not support the death penalty. The criminals may be animals but I am not. Where is the break off point? 50 convictions and we kill you, but 49 is ok? 50 convictions of theft can get you killed but 40 cases of rape won't? It would not work, especially in Ireland where sentences are already ridiculous for some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

What is the justification for it?

Preventative measure? Then why wait till they have n convictions?

Deterrent? Look at places where they have the death penalty - it doesn't work as a deterrent.

Punishment/revenge? Who does that benefit?

Economics? That's a barbaric reason to kill someone.

You want to create a deterrent, prevent crime, deliver justice and protect victims? Here's the solution: put Kung Fu, knife-fighting and pistol marksmanship on the school curriculum, from the age of oh, say, around 5. In 15 years you'll have fvck all crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

make them work instead of sitting in a cell watching sky. i'm against the death penalty unless guilt is 110% confirmed and not just "beyond a reasonable doubt".

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Bobjims

So criminals can kill 49 people and not get the death penalty?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

I would not support it myself either, but you do see some cases where you would think the world would be better without them, child abduction and murder type ones. At least they usually never get freed, which for some of them is a worse sentence than a death sentence possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

Just electrocuting or shooting someone is a waste though. Why not harvest their organs?

Rapists, murderers and pedophiles destroy or otherwise end lives. Why should the tax payer be expected to foot the bill for containing these people when it would be easier to remove their organs and give them to somebody who deserves a second chance?

Lets not sule out medical experimentation either. Years are lost tetsting on animals before human trials can begin. We could cut the time it takes for new drugs to come to the market, create jobs in the pharmacuitical industry and sleep a little better at night knowing we haven't had to kill any animals and have gotten rid of a few monsters.

Just before all the "troll" comments come in, I'm serious. If you don't respect other peoples rights then as far as I'm concerned you forefit your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Quiet you wrote: »
    Just electrocuting or shooting someone is a waste though. Why not harvest their organs?

Rapists, murderers and pedophiles destroy or otherwise end lives. Why should the tax payer be expected to foot the bill for containing these people when it would be easier to remove their organs and give them to somebody who deserves a second chance?

Lets not sule out medical experimentation either. Years are lost tetsting on animals before human trials can begin. We could cut the time it takes for new drugs to come to the market, create jobs in the pharmacuitical industry and sleep a little better at night knowing we haven't had to kill any animals and have gotten rid of a few monsters.

Just before all the "troll" comments come in, I'm serious. If you don't respect other peoples rights then as far as I'm concerned you forefit your own.

Quiet you.

Quiet you.

I'll be good:(

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Would you support death penalty?

Only for people who advocate for the death penalty ...

Doh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

What if a father killed a man who raped his daughter, should he still be subjected to this? What if someone was guilty then later proved innocent after they've been executed? What if god was one of us ? Just a slob like one of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

Do it like a penalty points system... Dono how it'd work out tho

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I'm in Thailand, I just witnessed a guy getting busted for drugs tonight, he is getting put to death next week for it. Do I have sympathy for him, absolutely not, a brilliant system and We could do with hanging quite a few scumbags at home, including the liberals who are the cause of most of our problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Bobjims

Stinicker wrote: »
    I'm in Thailand, I just witnessed a guy getting busted for drugs tonight, he is getting put to death next week for it. Do I have sympathy for him, absolutely not, a brilliant system and We could do with hanging quite a few scumbags at home, including the liberals who are the cause of most of our problems.

But will that still deter others?

One hopes this is a troll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Howard Marks was a career criminal in some peoples eyes.
    Would you have him executed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

KILL THE LIBERALS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I don't believe it would act as a deterrent but I'd be quite happy having said people killed all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

KILL THE LIBERALS!

Kill the Malaysian prime minister!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Some states in America have a 3 strike rule. 3 major convictions and you get life in prison. So basically it could be 3 armed robberies or assaults,no murder but still get life. Interesting idea I think.

• Advertisement

Spunge wrote: »
    What if a father killed a man who raped his daughter, should he still be subjected to this? What if someone was guilty then later proved innocent after they've been executed? What if god was one of us ? Just a slob like one of us.

There are extenuating circumstances in law. I wouldn't be up for chopping up and selling off someone if there was doubt about their guilt. Likewise I wouldn't be mad on sending the nutty types off to the mad scientists.

As for god? If he existed them lads in dail eireann would have been struck down with lightning bolts up their ars*s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

tvnutz wrote: »
    Some states in America have a 3 strike rule. 3 major convictions and you get life in prison. So basically it could be 3 armed robberies or assaults,no murder but still get life. Interesting idea I think.

The only problem I'd have with that is the cost to the state in keeping them in prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Do it like a penalty points system... Dono how it'd work out tho

12 speeding offence points and its the electric chair:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Spunge wrote: »
    One hopes this is a troll

No I am telling the truth!
    Bobjims wrote: »
    But will that still deter others?

Will it will stop him from peddling yabba and anything else permanently and serve as a warning to others, I was sitting down and I saw him call this girl over who at first glance looked like an addict hooker, he offered her the yabba and next thing three plain clothes cops had him pinned in seconds.

A brit expat told me it happens here regularly and the guy will be given a right trouncing back in the cell in order to try get him to grass on his supplier and if he does this and they bust the supplier then the judge will probably show lenience and give him 40 years without the chance of parole, if he had a few million baht (a hundred thousand euro) and was a westerner he could walk free being able to buy his way out!

mikom wrote: »
    Kill the Malaysian prime minister!!!

KILL WHITEY!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

jobyrne30 wrote: »
    The only problem I'd have with that is the cost to the state in keeping them in prison.

Crazy law. Watching QI the other week and hey were talking about this very area. One man is serving life for stealing a packet of biscuits. It runs much deeper there though, where else could you have masses of military equipment made and pay the worker 25cents per hour, it's good for business in the US to have a large prison population, it's criminal in itself.

Just do like that one planet in Star Trek, breaking any law is punishable by death, even walking on the grass, that turned out pretty well if i recall correctly

KILL WHITEY!

Racist.

jobyrne30 wrote: »

Just sell their organs or let the pharmacuitical industry pay us to experiment on them.

It's all about utilising anything and everything for profit. We could make the prison service profitable.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Just sell their organs or let the pharmacuitical industry pay us to experiment on them.

It's all about utilising anything and everything for profit. We could make the prison service profitable.

Therein lies the problem. It would then become more profitable to lock as many people away as you can and any sense of justice or rehabilitation gets forgotten.

Advertisement