Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is Enda the man to take us forward?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Brenireland

In your own opinion, how?

it's just an opinion,I'm a a fan of normality & a normal society.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭drdoon

we need better politicians, these people are a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

But in fairness those whether they be religious or not who have that opinion,are possibly indeed right.
    Right about what? Homosexuality being "unnatural?"

Define "unnatural" in clear and objective terms so we know where we stand. Is it interchangeable with "uncommon?" Can people with uncommon/unnatural mental and physical defects be lumped in this category as well, and discriminated against accordingly?

It is extremely rare to find someone who has a problem with homosexuality for non-religious reasons, by the way.

drdoon wrote: »

True That.

Back up your currently weightless opinion or have it derided and disregarded for the ill-thought-out garbage that it is.

Define "normal," in clear and objective terms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

mossyc123 wrote: »
    Do they now?! :D

I suppose you want to put some restrictions on this practice?

You can't stop anyone from running for election.

When they are voted in under our system thats it, the people have had there say.

Doctors sons become Doctors.

Carpenters sons become Carpenters.

It's the way of the world.

Yes they do :rolleyes: The son of a doctor becoming a doctor is a totally different thing, precisely because there is no election involved. Political dynasties undermine the fairness of a democratic playing field, those involved have an unfair advantage over other candidates who may be better placed to serve their communities. I'm not saying they're automatically worse than any other candidate, but just because their parent did it it doesn't make them any better than any other candidate either.

Incidentally I'm not trying to stop anyone running for election. Not everyone is power hungry.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Back up your currently weightless opinion or have it derided and disregarded for the ill-thought-out garbage that it is.

Define "normal," in clear and onbjective terms.

weightless/derided/disregarded/ill taught-out/garbage/onbjective....interesting choice of words.

weightless/derided/disregarded/ill taught-out/garbage/onbjective....interesting choice of words.
    Well, you mispelled about half of them but we'll let them slide. I think they'll remain apt enough (in their original form) until you make some attempt at qualifying your sentiments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭hardcore

drdoon wrote: »

Well when they are all basically teachers, civil engineers and sons of local gombeen councillors then what do you expect? It's a absolute disgrace that these people can basically dictate the economic decisions of the people of this country when they are not qualified to be in the job.

Well, you mispelled about half of them but we'll let them slide. I think they'll remain apt enough (in their original form) until you make some attempt at qualifying your sentiments.

No thanks,I don't plan on banging my head against a wall for the next year or so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

hardcore wrote: »
    Well when they are all basically civil engineers ...

Funny you should say that .... the origin of the Blueshirts.
    "Hail Enda".

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/SPduffy.htm

"[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Eoin O'Duffy[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] wa[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]s born in Laragh, Ireland in 1892. As a young man he worked as an engineer, architect and auctioneer in Wexford and Monaghan.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]O'Duffy joined the Irish Republican Army (IRA) and by the end of the First World War was commander of the Monaghan Brigade. On 14th February, 1920, O'Duffy's unit successfully captured the R.U.C. barracks at Ballytrain.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]O'Duffy became active in the fascist movement and was given command of the Army Comrades Association (also known as Blueshirts). O'Duffy renamed the movement the National Guard. He also organized marches, flags, salutes ("Hail O'Duffy) based on those in Nazi Germany. This led to fighting in the streets between the National Guard and left-wing groups. In August 1933 the government banned the National Guard from marching to Leinster Lawn.[/FONT]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The following month O'Duffy helped establish the Fine Gael Party. O'Duffy became president of the party but he caused considerable controversy when he described the Irish Republican Army as a communist organization. In August 1934 O'Duffy was forced to resign from the presidency.
    [/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On the outbreak of the Spanish Civil War O'Duffy began recruiting volunteers to go and fight in the war. Supported by the Catholic Church in Ireland and by right-wing national newspapers, O'Duffy and the first volunteers travelled from Dublin on 13th November, 1936.
    [/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]An estimated 750 Blue Shirts fought with the Nationalist Army[/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]during the war. The Irish volunteers became part of the XV Bandera Irlandesa del Terico of the Spanish Foreign Legion. The Blueshirts suffered heavy losses at Jarama in February 1937.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]On his return to Ireland in 1938 O'Duffy published his book, Crusade in Spain.
    [/FONT]

[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]O'Duffy continued to advocate fascist policies and during the Second World War he had negotiations with politicians in Germany about the possibility of persuading the Irish Republican Army of undertaking a policy of sabotage against Britain. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Eoin O'Duffy was given a state funeral when he died in 1944."[/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭sagat2

hardcore wrote: »
    Well when they are all basically teachers, civil engineers and sons of local gombeen councillors then what do you expect? It's a absolute disgrace that these people can basically dictate the economic decisions of the people of this country when they are not qualified to be in the job.

Really? I wish that was the case, unfortunately the majority of them are Lawyers. I'd rather binmen ran the place tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

People have abortions and others are gay regardless of the fact that some might see it as abnormal. Abnormality is vying to maintain views which have already been shown to be obsolete, imo.

No thanks,I don't plan on banging my head against a wall for the next year or so.
    I'd say you've been there, done that and worn the t-shirt in this regard, to be honest.

I'd say you've been there, done that and worn the t-shirt in this regard, to be honest.

I've worn a few shirts to be fair,they all start to stink after a while.

Sad thing is the wall seems to be getting thicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

Sorry but what you were saying was pointless.

If anything Enda will be a good Leader as he will be aware of the issues affecting people on the ground!,We don't need rocket Scientist's,the point was rubbish.

Really do in all fairness,Bizarre statement.

Yes, after 36 years sitting in the Dail, he will be totally in tune with the electorate he represents.

Yes, after 36 years sitting in the Dail, he will be totally in tune with the electorate he represents.

Fact.

Fact.

Your sarcasm detection unit is faulty, bring it back to the shop.

Your sarcasm detection unit is faulty, bring it back to the shop.

will do cheers.

The man has done nothing in all this time. And he was only a teacher for 4 years for God's sake.

Someone please tell me what use Enda Kenny was in his LONG life and professional careers.

• Advertisement

TheUsual wrote: »
    The man has done nothing in all this time. And he was only a teacher for 4 years for God's sake.

Someone please tell me what use Enda Kenny was in his LONG life and professional careers.

I was being sarcastic!!! It does not come across on this at all does it, lol

In 2002 with the Fine Gael Party nearing obliteration Mr.Noonan resigned as Leader of the Right Wing party,Enda Kenny then took over,and over the following 5 years Enda Kenny & Finna fail played their part in the building up of a newer/stronger party and as FG went into the 2007 Election they were really looking the part however they would have to wait an extra 3 and a bit years before they could try their hand as a Minority government which lasted 3 months and collapsed leaving the Irish state in a huge heap of poop,resulting in the *last one out turn of the lights bill*,which seen the entire irish population emigrate to Libya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

He makes excellent ear-wax.

In 2002 with the Fine Gael Party nearing obliteration Mr.Noonan resigned as Leader of the Right Wing party,Enda Kenny then took over,and over the following 5 years Enda Kenny & Finna fail played their part in the building up of a newer/stronger party and as FG went into the 2007 Election they were really looking the part however they would have to wait an extra 3 and a bit years before they could try their hand as a Minority government which lasted 3 months and collapsed leaving the Irish state in a huge heap of poop,resulting in the *last one out turn of the lights bill*,which seen the entire irish population emigrate to Libya.

Lets invade Germany and bring God back to the heathens.

I am with you my (blueshirt) man. And not in a Gay way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

as he stated last nite that the anniversary of the 1916 proclomation is in 5 years time and by then he wants the imf to be gone out of this country by then

it makes me sad to see that we didnt even make it 100 years as an independent nation

(yes we are not an independent nation we depend on EU to help us)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

I heard an interesting rumour about Enda today. Red silk penchant peccadillos. I'd love to believe it was true but I just can't see it somehow. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Yeah Richard Burton seems a better statesman

james o reiley would be my preference as head of fg, watched him tonight on vb, he has fire in his belly, i always saw him as being a strong person. well able to put his point across, well able to step up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Good question OP. After all - even wheelchair-bound specials with Down's Syndrome, Parkinson's, MS, ME, Cerebral Palsy, Scabies and the Plague can move forward. Just not very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭jonnysimples

Aodan83 wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that any of the parties in this country will make the decisions needed to get us through the next five years. I think Fianna Fáil made similar promises before and we all know that never happened.
    That said I'd vote for Fine Gael long before I'd give a Fianna Fáiler my vote, or even a preference.

If we agree that there's no chance Fianna Fail deserve even a sniff of a vote then by default we have to accept that the government we elect will be relatively untested. As such there will always be the opportunity for broken promises but what I like about Fine Gael is that they are upfront about the fact difficult measures are needed. There not saying everything will be just rosey after the election - they acknowledge that there is tough work to be done and difficult choices to be made.

Copper23 wrote: »
    Thats fair enough. But my real question was WHY do you believe they are the strongest and best to lead us?

I'm not saying they are or are not but other than being a big party and basically being perceived as the opposite of FF (which they aren't really), I haven't seen what else they have got to really convince me?

A very fair question and to be honest when the election was called three odd weeks ago I was very much in the "undecided" camp. I've ended up settling on Fine Gael partly because of theirforthright acknowledgement that difficult decisions need to be made over the coming years and partly through a process of ruling out the other major parties and groups for the following reasons:

- Independents: I firmly prescribe to the view that independent candidates lack the support or influence to make a significant impact in government and will inevitably become focused on minor, constituencey focused, matters.

- Fianna Fail: All I can think whenever I hear a Fianna Failer speak is '14 years'

- Sinn Fein: Even if you can move beyond their leaders questionable past (I can't) I think their economic policies are destined for failure - where's the 45 Billion coming from without the IMF loan?

- Labour: their coziness with the TU really calls into question their willingness to make the necassary cuts in the PS. Red flag for me I'm afraid

I'm aware that a process of elimination might seem like a very strange way to decide for who to vote for but it's worked for me and, as I've said, I beileve Fine Gael or the party who seem most willing to make the tough decisions and drag us, probably kicking and screaming, through this mess

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Cos he's the white Obama?

Advertisement