Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ripped up my polling card. Not voting

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Ddad wrote: »
    I think we often forget what it means to have a vote. It's not so long ago that our ancestors fought and died for that privilege.
    I've heard this old chestnut before. Our ancestors didn't die for our vote, they died for our rights. One of those is the right not to vote. Don't use the struggle to justify your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

For the first time since I turned 18 I will not be voting.

Well, thats very constructive. Congratulations!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

IMO you should spoil your vote on the day rather then not vote - it's a better form of protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

IMO you should spoil your vote on the day rather then not vote - it's a better form of protesting.

I don't think so. Your vote gets a passing mention ("spoiled votes: 533") and the count goes on as if you never voted.

I cannot imagine a situation where there is no basis to give one candidate a higher preference than another: I'd sooner vote for a bastard than for an evil bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

There is always a "least worse" option.

• Advertisement

hinault wrote: »
    You don't vote then you will have no right to whinge about political decisions taken in the new Dail
    While he's paying his taxes and subject to the law he's entitled to whinge about every decision that affects his life as a citizen, vote or no vote.

I'm amazed at the amount of people who come out with this ridiculous juvenile argument.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

For the first time since I turned 18 I will not be voting.

I refuse to vote for FG/labour or Sinn Fein. Watched the frontline and having heard independents was last straw. No vote from me.

Anyone else feel like this?

I'm sure that there are more independents in your area than appeared on frontline. Look them up and ask them what their policies are.

If after all that you still can't vote for anyone, at least go in and spoil your vote just so that your dissatisfaction is registered. That at least is better than not voting, which is just apathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

MyKeyG wrote: »
    I've heard this old chestnut before. Our ancestors didn't die for our vote, they died for our rights. One of those is the right not to vote. Don't use the struggle to justify your opinion.

They died for the right for people not to give a sh*t about how their country is run ?

They cared for their country . . In no way can not voting be twisted to convince me that its nothing other then ignoring the responsibility we gained when they won our freedom. .

Voting is an integral part of democracy. In truth if you dont vote you are being led by somebody elses chosen leader, so in essence you have sh*t all over the whole point of fighting for the right to decide who should lead you.

Why should people obide by laws made by a government or pay the taxes of a country ? If people had the same attitude to these things we would have anarchy.

The whole point of voting is that you try to encourage a progressive, better society for all. There is no point to not voting and it serves no purpose as it achieves nothing. If you dont vote, people dont know what you want. If you spoil your vote they know that you at least care enough to get your ass to a polling station and have an opinion worth discussing.

I have a right to sh*t in my back garden, doesnt mean I choose to do it . . Likewise, people who choose not to vote have a right to be ignorant.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I don't think so. Your vote gets a passing mention ("spoiled votes: 533") and the count goes on as if you never voted.

I cannot imagine a situation where there is no basis to give one candidate a higher preference than another: I'd sooner vote for a bastard than for an evil bastard.

I disagree. If there was a significant turnout of spoiled votes the media would latch onto it, especially if there were more spoiled votes than votes for a sitting FF TD in any constituency.

MyKeyG wrote: »
    While he's paying his taxes and subject to the law he's entitled to whinge about every decision that affects his life as a citizen, vote or no vote.

I'm amazed at the amount of people who come out with this ridiculous juvenile argument.

He can whinge but nobody should/will listen.

If he cant even be bothered choosing who to spend his tax's , why should anybody (including those spending the tax's) listen to him ?. .

If you dont care who gets into power then put up and shut up . .

• Advertisement

I disagree. If there was a significant turnout of spoiled votes the media would latch onto it, especially if there were more spoiled votes than votes for a sitting FF TD in any constituency.

If the usual non voters ( over 30% of the electorate) went into the booths and spoiled their votes, can you imagine the impact it could potentially have ?

In truth, this could do more for real political reform, revolutionary reform even, then any current party voted into next government, with their lame hollow, reform promises . So by voting for nobody, they have announced their declaration that they will vote, but only for change, real change . . In truth, the non voters are the ones with the power to do the most in the current climate to force the will of politicians for real progressive change.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Drumpot wrote: »
    If the usual non voters ( over 30% of the electorate) went into the booths and spoiled their votes, can you imagine the impact it could potentially have ?

RTE would have a field day with pundits analysing their belly-button fluff, but it would have no actual effect on anything since exactly the same people would get elected.

RTE would have a field day with pundits analysing their belly-button fluff, but it would have no actual effect on anything since exactly the same people would get elected.

If 30% of the population voted for change and made the effort to get this message to their politicians, you can bet your ass that somebody or some party will do their damnest to do whatever it takes to get these voters onside. Spoiling your vote by actually voting says you want to be a part of how our country is run but do not believe in the current options.

Not just that, if opinion poles showed that most of these spoiled voters would vote for a party/politician who offered them real hope, honest accountability and real politican reform , you would certainly find it would give our new government something to think about with regards to the next election. Put simply, if they made hollow promises that they didnt deliver on, potentially they could lose over 30% of potential votes (of people who care enough to vote, even if to spoil it in protest) for another party that promises to implement the kind of reform/policies that these non voters were protesting for.

Nothing good comes from not voting as your voice is not heard at all. If there is a hullabuloo about people spoiling votes we all know that our incoming government will have to listen (as politicians only care about voters). Why else do the pensioners (group that votes most proportionatly) nearly always get preferential treatment by all parties ?

if opinion poles showed that most of these spoiled voters would vote for a party/politician who offered them real hope, honest accountability and real politican reform , you would certainly find it would give our new government something to think about with regards to the next election.

No, they all say they are offering those things now!

No, they all say they are offering those things now!

And if 30% people say they dont believe in the incoming government but would vote for somebody who does what they say in the next election, the incoming government would be under far greater pressure to deliver on their promises for fear of being voted against by the 30% who chose not to vote either way and could make a substantial contribution to choosing the next government.

There is no other way at looking at it other then that it would be a positive if more people voted, even if they were spoiled votes .

Not just that, more voters who are disallusioned dilute party power as its not just party members mainly voting for their man (irrespective of candidate).

There is no other way at looking at it other then that it would be a positive if more people voted, even if they were spoiled votes .

Eh, yes there is. What exactly are politicians supposed to do to attract all those spoiled votes?

Use opinion polls to find out what the electorate wants? They already do that.

Wear a little tinsel halo and pretend to be a saint?

Might be worth a shot!

Eh, yes there is. What exactly are politicians supposed to do to attract all those spoiled votes?

Use opinion polls to find out what the electorate wants? They already do that.

Wear a little tinsel halo and pretend to be a saint?

Might be worth a shot!

Do you really think that a party wouldnt listen to 30% of the voters ? If so, you should get a bit more educated on the motives of politicians.

The opinion poles are supposed to represent people who vote. If you dont vote you do nothing to encourage change, if you vote for change by spoiling your vote , its certainly at least a step above doing nothing . .

An opinion pole that shows people will not vote for parties out of complete dissalusionment in the system is just an opinion pole. 30% of an electorate voting against the current system is a statement of intention. Thats the differance.

And even if we get the same kind of politicians who are too afraid of their electorate to do the wrong thing, that is progression.

If you dont believe change is possible, you will be the master of your own prediction. Giving up on change serves no positive purpose. By not voting you do nothing for change. Even if you spoil your vote in protest your voice is being heard and you are doing the right thing for the right reason. If you dont vote , nobody in politics cares much for what you think.

Grouse67 wrote: »
    Very very sad, people protesting and dying all over the world looking for a vote and a huge % of us in Ireland just won’t bother
    Very very sad? Jeez calm down.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭gk5000

Sad if someone can't be bothered voting, but not worth worrying about as their opinions don't count for much in my book. And that includes people who spoil their vote.

Advertisement