Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

licencing?

Options
  • 21-02-2011 9:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

hi all,
    Going back cycling after some time but cant seem to get my memebership as im not a memeber of a club. At the moment i prefer not to be part of a club and would like to contest timetrials.
    How do i get the licence the Cycling Ireland website is great.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

You should be able to uncheck the box beside "Are you a member of a club?" on stage 3 of the registration process here

http://cyclingireland.ie/Register-Member/Register.aspx

Then it will just ask you for your province.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Just did that. Didn't ask me for money though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭High Nellie

george27 wrote: »
    hi all,
    ....the licence the Cycling Ireland website is great.
    Thanks

Why are you asking us if the Cycling Ireland website is so great????

(sorry to be such a negative cynic and for not providing a constructive answer, but I have 'a bee in my bonnet' about the ineffecienty of Cycling Ireland and its website)

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Its a bit of a long winded process - you will get an email and in a few days will be able to go back in and pay.

Limestone1 wrote: »
    Its a bit of a long winded process - you will get an email and in a few days will be able to go back in and pay.

Hopefully ......... ...

.........Six days to go to first race. Money for lisence sent in six weeks ago. Had to pay one-day lisence to compete last year even thouth had paid up weeks in advance.

Hoping for lisence before first race this year ... Hoepflully ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 george27

hey hi nellie that was a typo on my part the cycling ireland website isnt great. its a bit all over the place to be honest. that for the help guys

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭rochefan

A bit off topic but has anyone received their licence yet? Last year it was nearly April before I got mine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

Licences are ready to go out 4500 of them. We are awaiting back numbers!

What "inefficiencies" in CI business processes?? or in the website.

If you dont get your licence dont panic. All comms will have a list of paid up members and you will be on that list if you have pauid and your club sec has approved your application.

If for some reason you have to take out a 1 day licence in error I will guarantee that you will get a refund!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭thekidd147

It would be great if cycling ireland could post something on their website on the licence matter, you can`t beat a bit of communication...

thekidd147 wrote: »
    It would be great if cycling ireland could post something on their website on the licence matter, you can`t beat a bit of communication...

What more communication do you want I am a board member!!!

A licence pack will be going out tomorrow if the back numbers are printed and delivered. A list similar to the last one will be on the website in the next day or 2.

@All pm me if you want to know whether your licence has been printed. I just looked at the system and there are 4500 printed and another 400 paid for but not yet printed.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭C3PO

morana wrote: »
    Licences are ready to go out 4500 of them. We are awaiting back numbers!

What "inefficiencies" in CI business processes?? or in the website.

If you dont get your licence dont panic. All comms will have a list of paid up members and you will be on that list if you have pauid and your club sec has approved your application.

If for some reason you have to take out a 1 day licence in error I will guarantee that you will get a refund!!!

Well that answers the question I was going to ask - Thank You!

Not every cycling Ireland licence holder is a member of boards are they?

thekidd147 wrote: »

Not every cycling Ireland licence holder is a member of boards are they?

quite correct ..... but you are:D

inefficiencies in cycling ireland. not at all:rolleyes:

So, what about the point of explaining the situation to CI members on the CI website, rather than just to the few of us who have the previlage of sharing a message-board with a CI Board member?

I'm quite surprised you make so light of it.

So, what about the point of explaining the situation to CI members on the CI website, rather than just to the few of us who have the previlage of sharing a message-board with a CI Board member?

I'm quite surprised you make so light of it.

I think if you look at my posts earlier on in this thread that I have said each club will be getting a licence pack from CI with a note explaining the additional requirements for event hosting etc. And also in that post I also said that there will be an update on the website which I have spoken to the CEO about. Allied to this I am going out of my way to impart information off my own bat to anybody who cares to ask about their situation as well as trying to bring information to members and nonmembers who post here.

So Nellie you seem to have a big problem with CI and I will invite you to air your views here or pm me and I will try to see if I can resolve them. We have a board meeting this Friday 5pm-10pm where items such as separate A4 races raised here will get an airing, so if you get anything to me I will squeeze it in under AOB!

your probably surprised because you dont know me!

So Nellie you seem to have a big problem with CI and I will invite you to air your views here

You ask me to "air my views" but then I have a "big problem" when I do so.

I am adding nothing further to this discussion as two things have been clearly established from this and other threads.

1) It can be quite difficult to join Cycling Ireland via their website, or to renew membership
    2) Having joined or renewed, and paid well in advance, there seems to be an annual problem with getting lisences out on time for the start of the season.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

In fairness to CI, I've always gotten my licence in time to race. It invariably comes in just in time, but in time nonetheless. And while you may have paid well in advance, there's plenty who leave it to the last minute, which I'm sure doesn't help in getting everything out in time. I was one of the guilty parties myself this year.

You ask me to "air my views" but then I have a "big problem" when I do so.

I am adding nothing further to this discussion as two things have been clearly established from this and other threads.

1) It can be quite difficult to join Cycling Ireland via their website, or to renew membership
    2) Having joined or renewed, and paid well in advance, there seems to be an annual problem with getting lisences out on time for the start of the season.

Great. Thats a start. I will endeavour to get you responses to those points.

I think I said big problem first and then air your views...but lets not be picky!

el tonto wrote: »
    In fairness to CI, I've always gotten my licence in time to race. It invariably comes in just in time, but in time nonetheless. And while you may have paid well in advance, there's plenty who leave it to the last minute, which I'm sure doesn't help in getting everything out in time. I was one of the guilty parties myself this year.

CI said that if you want a licence before the first race then you had to have your application in before 16th I think. I think 500 came in after the 16th!

Also, bear this in mind you are now covered under the insurance for 12 months 1st Jan onwards. This cover is for all sanctioned events by CI (races etc), Training, training on the way to work but not when going to the shop for milk, commuting etc. Therefore its in your interest to have your licence application in as near as poss to 1st Jan so when you go out on Sat/Sun you are covered!

• Advertisement

Training, training on the way to work but not when going to the shop for milk, commuting etc.

Can you clarify this a bit? I'm covered when training on the way to work or when commuting but not just popping down to the shops? Or am I not covered for commuting? How fast do I have to be going to be 'training' on my commute?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

morana,

I think its great that you are taking the time to look into this.

Can I make a suggestion?
    • An expired license holder applies for a renewal online. If approved they are directed to a payment page.
    • The payment is processed (using a 3rd party clearing house).
    • The CI member can then print out a 'proof of license' which can be used for tomorrow's race.

This is exactly how the usacycling site works for renewals. I can't recall how new applicants are dealt with.

dave2pvd wrote: »
    morana,

I think its great that you are taking the time to look into this.

Can I make a suggestion?
    • An expired license holder applies for a renewal online. If approved they are directed to a payment page.
    • The payment is processed (using a 3rd party clearing house).
    • The CI member can then print out a 'proof of license' which can be used for tomorrow's race.

This is exactly how the usacycling site works for renewals. I can't recall how new applicants are dealt with.

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking of something along those lines ala airline barcode etc. Firstly the problem should not arise but the office staff are inundated with work at this time of year and I am not blaming them in anyway shape or form! you should have your licence in time if you applied in good time We were awaiting the back numbers from the printers and there has been a holdup with them...the election (posters) I guess. I apologise for that but it is a good suggestion I will try to move it forward.

All see this http://cyclingireland.ie/Home/News/Printed-Licences-To-Date.aspx

@cDaly_ C you are covered when you are trianing but if you are cycling to work in your clothes you are not covered. I will try get a better definition for you but the brokers didnt want to be covering people 24/7 while on a bike as I mentioned going to the shops etc. once its a sanctioned CI activity or social activity(?) then you are covered. Again I will push for us to get a faq out on the web and will raise it tomorrow evening.

even I am guilty of not applying on Jan 1st to be covered for those tedious miles but will do from next year on

Btw I am getting on the Turbo now for some threshold stuff while watching LFC safe in the knowledge this is an approved CI activity and am therefore covered :D

@cDaly_ C you are covered when you are training but if you are cycling to work in your clothes you are not covered.

Hmm. Whatever about cycling to work in lycra, cycling to work naked is pushing it a bit far... ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

We were awaiting the back numbers from the printers and there has been a holdup with them...

morana,

Are numbers issued at the start of the season and used all season long??

Or does each race organizer issue numbers?

All year long except in stage races where the organiser issues the numbers. Each catergory has a different color number.

We are looking into getting transponders for bikes but that will be next year hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Well how was it ?

Hope that turbo session helped with the stress relief haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Nice to see my name is on the updated list happy days !!

levitronix wrote: »
    Well how was it ?

Hope that turbo session helped with the stress relief haha

the bars are chewed to bits!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭C3PO

All year long except in stage races where the organiser issues the numbers. Each catergory has a different color number.

So unlike mountain bike races you have one number which you use for every race? How does one get this number?

Advertisement