Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elimination Chamber Aftermath thread - *Spoilers*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭glenjamin

As predictable as it was always going to be it was a decent PPV.

Missed Del Rio against Kofi but heard it was good.

For some reason I didn't rate the SD chamber all that much. Wish Vince would see how bad Big Slow is in the ring and stop letting him 'main event'. It was a huge letdown to see Big Show as the 6th man. Really not looking forward to his Mania feud with The Corre. Has 'Ugh' written all over it. Drew was very impressive. Would have like to have seen him eliminate Kane or Show and be in the final 3. Great to see Christian back and to save Edge. Tbh I think Christian works better as a face than heel. Mania has Fatal4Way written all over it with Christian, Edge, Del Rio and Ziggler involved. I wouldn't mind that at all should it happen.

The tag match was nothing but a filler, just to get more matches on the card. Makes sense to give the belts to The Corre though.

The Diva's segment was woeful. Good to see Trish back but the material was sh!t.

I actually liked the WWE title match. Lawler was actually better than most of the guys on the Raw roster. The match was good but the way Miz struggled so much and had so little offense was pathetic. If they want Miz to be seen as a proper main eventer then they need him to go over Cena clean at Mania. If he doesn't no one will be able to take him serious.

The Raw chamber match was excelent. Dunno why they bothered having Truth in it though. Danielson would have made for a much better choice. Punk vs Orton confrontation was very well done. Morrison was epic as usual and had me actually believing he could win. Sheamus suprisingly carried the match for parts and looked very dominant. Cena doing fook all then winning was gay. I expected him to win alright but he was very unimpressive throughout. I hated it when after the match he looked like he had just won a 2 minute squash match rather than an intense, gruelling chamber match. There was not a bother on him as usual with his SuperCena sh!te.

Overall it was quite good. The matches were pretty well put together. The Divas segment and Booker's commentary were woeful but didn't take the shine off the PPV too much.

I gave it 5 outa 10. I like my PPVs to be a little more unpredictable and never been a fan of Chamber matches.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

It was looking good after the first two matches which were entertaining (although the SD chamber went on far too long). Then the PPV stalled for the next half hour with a terrible short tag match and Trish's segment, which bombed, a useless Vickie Segment --I thought I was watching RAW, not a $55 PPV (lucky we don't have to pay) -- ...The WWE Title match was quite boring; the crowd were pretty dead for it. There wasn't any great story to it. King wasn't half as over as he had been the previous few months. I could only think of how invested the crowd were at TLC, and weren't tonight.

Morrison had a few nice spots and CM Punk was a good focus as well, everyone but the jerk winner Cena, who did nothing the entire match. But it's business as usual setting up for mania; much better than a swerve.

What didn't help that even due to the stalling, there was no room for Danielson on the PPV; third PPV in a row. And Big Show's inclusion. Boo!

5/10. Extremely average, you missed nothing by not watching it.

That Trish Stratus sh!te went on far too long and was just plain awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Pentecost

Yeah Sheamus is becoming a very dependable performer for them nowadays. It'll be interesting to see what they have in mind for him in the future. He's doing a really good job elevating Morrison, if Morrison could talk like Sheamus can he'd have the lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

I actually do understand pacing and how PPVs work. People have different opinions to you, get over it.

You say you understand pacing then why have a potentially blow away match with two midcarders who dont seem to be on course to have a one on one type feature match at Wrestlemania in addition to possibly risking burning out the crowd before the main event - you know the match that should matter the most and that the rest of the card can build to?

Again I dont understand this predictable malarkey. Most films are "predictable" especially morality plays.

If you look at the best Wrestlemania builds they are always the simplest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I hated this PPV. Not that swerves are always necessary all the time but jesus you could have predicted this entire PPV beforehand.

Didn't really enjoy any of the matches. The milked the **** out of Edge-Rey in the end.

Cena winning really disappointed me. Everything involving him is very predictable and I can't enjoy any of his stuff in the last month or so.

Kofi-Del Rio was decent. Enjoyed Booker losing his ****. He really knows how to put people over.

Trish was probably the highlight of a very dull PPV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Good show. Both Chamber matches were great with the Smackdown one being better. Rey Mysterio is the best wrestler in the WWE without doubt - especially considering he's been putting off surgery since last year. Also, why the hell aren't they pushing Kofi, JoMo or McIntyre? Three top notch, standout performances from those three last night.
    I hated this PPV. Not that swerves are always necessary all the time but jesus you could have predicted this entire PPV beforehand.

Predictability in WrestleMania season is fine. You need a certain amount of predictability in order to properly build up anticipation for matches, plus it at least shows they have a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

anyone voting this ppv a 3, 4 or 5 should really give up on pro-wrestling because its not for you guys anymore

ppv should given marks on match quality and in terms of matches quality you cannot give this one less than 7, last nights ec killed many manias of the past, it walked all over wm15, 16, 9, 11 in terms of in-ring action

opener was solid, very good match and highlighted why kingston should be the next guy in line for a strong push

sd ec was very good, shame barrett went early though. last ten minutes was excellent, really thought mysterio was going to get it, would have made alot of sense too as del rio and mysterio have had heat since day one

tag match was short and meh, i thought lawler excelled himself once again with miz, i see people complaining about lawler looking too strong with miz, well were you complaining back in 2008 when a then 59 year flair took shawn michaels (the greatest wwe performer in history) to the limit and prior to that had gone on a 6 month winning streak??? speaking of lawler i remember hogan and piper matches back in wcw circa 1996-97 and how godawful they were, every miz/lawler match has entertained me and thats all you can ask for, lawler brainbuster from the top rope was great to see from a 60+ year old

raw ec was predictable but honestly did anyone really think miz and morrison was going to headline the biggest ppv of the year?? it was obvious no heel was to win once miz won his match, as far as i am aware no wwe title match at mania has ever been between two heels

• Registered Users Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

rossie1977 wrote: »
    anyone voting this ppv a 3, 4 or 5 should really give up on pro-wrestling because its not for you guys anymore

ppv should given marks on match quality and in terms of matches quality you cannot give this one less than 7, last nights ec killed many manias of the past, it walked all over wm15, 16, 9, 11 in terms of in-ring action

You're right, I should give up because I didn't enjoy one show :rolleyes:

I'm glad you enjoyed it and happy it was a 7 for you, that doesn't mean its a 7 for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,871 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I didnt see the point of Kofi and Alberto's feud and match - Alberto could have come out and watched the SD chamber and maybe joined the commentary team for it and then attacked the Edge. Kofi could have defended the IC title (against Cody, Swagger or Masters) or even been added to chamber match maybe instead of Show.

It a shame Bryan's match was a dark match. He was brillant on Raw last week second to The Rock for me after carrying Miz in a great match.

McTool and her sidekick Layla on another ppv but no room for Natayla, Beth, Gail Kim or even the Divas Champion Eve, being married to Taker really helps McTool.

Drew impressed in the SD chamber match but Rey for me was the mvp of that match

Trish would have been better to return at WM or even on Raw or SD as already said previously. For a diva that was once really over that was a poor return imo.

Of course the best part was Christian returning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

You're right, I should give up because I didn't enjoy one show :rolleyes:

I'm glad you enjoyed it and happy it was a 7 for you, that doesn't mean its a 7 for everyone else.

one show, you are the same guy thats been complaining about todays product endlessly on another thread, i know if i was you what i would be doing, certainly wouldn't be staying up till 4am to annoy myself more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Thought it was a generally excellent PPV, though perhaps due to me skipping the Trish segment and the tag match.
    Started off very solidly with Kofi - Del Rio, not mad on Kofi but he did what was needed, love Del Rio.
    Thoroughly enjoyed the Smackdown chamber. Thought it was great fun all way through (despite the addition of Big Show, ugh) and the end was crackin' stuff. Can't really fault the excitement of it.
    Miz v King was... solid. A lot more enjoyable than I thought it would be. Well wrestled but you could see at times Miz was slowing up to give King a chance.
    Raw chamber was another great match. Not quite as good as SD but still very good. Pretty much everyone, bar Truth, came out looking strong. Sheamus and Morrison going to the top of the pod was heart in mouth stuff! Sheamus needs a decent feud though to keep up his profile.
    The only real criticism is how completely predictable it was. Every result was exactly as speculated. Fair enough the matches were good enough to allow some doubt to creep in but let's be honest, we'd all have loved some sort of swerve. 8/10

• Registered Users Posts: 12,057 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Those who are annoyed at Cena winning, what would have your alternative?

Miz v Punk? Miz v Sheamus?

Heel v Heel won't work at any PPV let alone Mania.

Miz v Orton?

Done a million times.

Miz v Jo Mo or Truth?

Big enough to headline a standard Raw maybe, but Mania? NO BUYS.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    one show, you are the same guy thats been complaining about todays product endlessly on another thread, i know if i was you what i would be doing, certainly wouldn't be staying up till 4am to annoy myself more

I've seen how WWE can be very good at times and I've seen how it can be very bad. Just because I'm not head over heels in love with everything thats thrown at me, why should I stop watching? I've said I enjoyed the SD! chamber, I said that I enjoyed the Del Rio match. I said I enjoyed Punk and some of the Morrison stuff in the Raw Chamber. What exactly is the problem?

I think the attitude that "if you don't like it, don't watch it" is pathetic. It smacks of fanboyism and the complete inability to look at anyone elses point of view. I haven't sat around saying that "hey anyone who thought this was an 8 out of 10 is deluded or is obviously a child" have I? I've respected other peoples opinion of the show, and obviously people enjoyed things I didn't and I'm sure vice-versa, that doesn't mean I'm right, doesn't mean they are. I look at things differently and I obviously derive enjoyment out of the WWE product in ways different to others. Why should I stop watching it? It's called a discussion board, not an "all hail/hate the product" board.

If you don't like my opinions, just ignore them ;)

Rjd2 wrote: »

Miz v Orton?

Done a million times.

Miz v Jo Mo or Truth?

Well it doesn't have to be Miz at Mania, he could easily lose the title.

How about Miz v Cena v Punk? Two heels against one face is good booking in a triple threat, maybe have some Nexus interaction on the build up to Mania, have Miz and Punk plotting to take out Cena together but secretly have them at odds with each other, and if they actually book Cena to look legitimately strong as opposed to superhuman strong it could work very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

I've seen how WWE can be very good at times and I've seen how it can be very bad. Just because I'm not head over heels in love with everything thats thrown at me, why should I stop watching? I've said I enjoyed the SD! chamber, I said that I enjoyed the Del Rio match. I said I enjoyed Punk and some of the Morrison stuff in the Raw Chamber. What exactly is the problem?

I think the attitude that "if you don't like it, don't watch it" is pathetic. It smacks of fanboyism and the complete inability to look at anyone elses point of view. I haven't sat around saying that "hey anyone who thought this was an 8 out of 10 is deluded or is obviously a child" have I? I've respected other peoples opinion of the show, and obviously people enjoyed things I didn't and I'm sure vice-versa, that doesn't mean I'm right, doesn't mean they are. I look at things differently and I obviously derive enjoyment out of the WWE product in ways different to others. Why should I stop watching it? It's called a discussion board, not an "all hail/hate the product" board.

If you don't like my opinions, just ignore them ;)

Given how you described the PPV in your first paragraph Im still at a loss on why you gave it a 5 what are you comparing it to exactly?

Those who are annoyed at Cena winning...

I don't think anyone was truly shocked/annoyed at Cena winning; it was the fashion in which he did so. He entered the EC and did nothing memorable before the finishing spot, which felt extremely rushed. Maybe they ran out of time. Something with an obvious outcome can still be done well -- this wasn't. WWE usually give us an exciting last few minutes of false finishes (see the SD EC) and this PPV-closing spot didn't do much.

rossie1977, just because people don't have the same opinion of you doesn't mean it's wrong or we hate wrestling; we just didn't enjoy the PPV as much as you did. Mentioning PPVs from over 10 years ago doesn't make this PPV any better. Aside from the SmackDown EC there was a ton of stalling and there were matches and segments that bombed/failed to engross the crowd. It's great that you enjoyed it and rated it highly but there's a valid case for anyone rating this PPV "average" or below. It was the definition of a filler PPV. It's only opinion, in any case.

Miz v Orton?

Done a million times.

Miz v Jo Mo or Truth?

I think having The Rock back now as the guest host will have increased WM buys

I dont mind Cena winning but it was so obvious it was going to happening - I have preferred have Miz in the chamber match and lose the title to Punk, Sheamus or Morrison

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I enjoyed the PPV predictable or not.

The Smackdown chamber had some great stuff, they made Drew look important for the first time in I don't know how long. But I could have done without Big Show and Kane getting rid of Wade and Drew, they really don't need puting over a this stage in their career. Big Show kicking out of Drew's DDT really annoyed me, imagine how great Drew would look if he got the pin over show? But there was so many good moments my issues become tiny. I though Rey was supposed to be injured? He was fantastic. I never expected Christan but maybe I should have!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I didnt see the point of Kofi and Alberto's feud and match - Alberto could have come out and watched the SD chamber and maybe joined the commentary team for it and then attacked the Edge. Kofi could have defended the IC title (against Cody, Swagger or Masters) or even been added to chamber match maybe instead of Show.

Del Rio needed an impressive win over somebody with some amount of credibility heading into WM, plus Kofi did a brilliant job of making Del Rio look great.
    jaykhunter wrote: »
    I don't think anyone was truly shocked/annoyed at Cena winning; it was the fashion in which he did so. He entered the EC and did nothing memorable before the finishing spot, which felt extremely rushed. Maybe they ran out of time. Something with an obvious outcome can still be done well -- this wasn't. WWE usually give us an exciting last few minutes of false finishes (see the SD EC) and this PPV-closing spot didn't do much.

They went off the air a few minutes before four so they were clearly running long considering most of their shows finish at about 3:45. They most likely had to rush the finish. Other than that, the Raw chamber was a really great match.
    Well it doesn't have to be Miz at Mania, he could easily lose the title.

How about Miz v Cena v Punk? Two heels against one face is good booking in a triple threat, maybe have some Nexus interaction on the build up to Mania, have Miz and Punk plotting to take out Cena together but secretly have them at odds with each other, and if they actually book Cena to look legitimately strong as opposed to superhuman strong it could work very well.

If they were to do anything different from here they could combine Cena/Miz and Punk/Orton into a four way but I really doubt it at this stage especially considering they'll probably involve The Rock in the Cena/Miz match in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Well that Cena win wasn't predictable at all. :rolleyes:

I gave it a 5 myself. Smackdown EC was an awful lot better than the RAW one. Liked Morrison in it. Glad he was down to the final 3 at least.

Booker T is annoying as hell though as a commentator. I even think he's more than annoying than Cole which is saying something.

WWE Championship was ok. Not amazing by any stretch and was fairly obvious that it was never gonna go to Lawler.

That Trish Stratus segment was awful too.

Enjoyed Del Rio V Kingston.

All in all, I didn't think it was that great a PPV. Would've preferred Daniel Bryan in the actual PPV itself. Poor booking having him in the dark match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Average at best. Funniest moment of the night for me was Booker T commenting on R-Truth's lie detector.

'SHADES OF BOOKER-T!' 10 seconds later, R-Truth is eliminated :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Also, not sure if this was said but...

Trish: "Yeay, I'm gonna coach noobs!"

*Minutes later, struggles with running to ring and botches own signature move*

Trish: <__<''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

Have to say Booker T was absolutely hilarious. Could hear him getting so excited he started to fluster himself.
    After Kofi Kingston dropkicks from the top:
    "And...!! And I tellin' you.....!!! Biggest damn dropkick ah ever seen in ma life."

• Registered Users Posts: 54,034 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

we're probably lucky we wont see Booker and Sheamus on the same show

Listen here fella, you the dog....

it's early days but the problem i have with Booker's commentary is that
    1) He uses his promo voice, not normal speaking voice
    2) He adds absolutely nothing to the story of the match or a wrestler's insight.

Whenever Booker gets better I'll praise him accordingly. As i said, early days, but i'm not a big fan of him right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

smackdown chamber was great enjoyed the del rio-kofi and miz-king matches the rest was poor to me raw chamber had some good moments but just had a unintresting feel to me ending was rushed and just looked bad

Was John Morrison was legitimately injuried in the Raw chamber match or kayfabe?

Miz should have done like Del Rio and attacked Cena after his win

DM-ICE wrote: »
    I enjoyed the PPV predictable or not.

The Smackdown chamber had some great stuff, they made Drew look important for the first time in I don't know how long. But I could have done without Big Show and Kane getting rid of Wade and Drew, they really don't need puting over a this stage in their career. Big Show kicking out of Drew's DDT really annoyed me, imagine how great Drew would look if he got the pin over show? But there was so many good moments my issues become tiny. I though Rey was supposed to be injured? He was fantastic. I never expected Christan but maybe I should have!

I have to say they really booked Drew well. He looked very strong and there was a ruthlessness to him that was really enjoyable to watch. I probably enjoyed watching him more than any other time I've seen him. I agree with your points on Kane and Show, it was quite annoying to see them eliminate two potential future stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Christian is back :D

forget that - TRISH is back!

Why oh why didn't anyone tell me she was on tough enough!!!

Tough Enough just bacame my must see program!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

Yeah, predictable, liked the Punk getting stuck angle but would have liked to see more against Cena. Did seem rushed at the end. Miz-Lawler wasnt bad either, in fact a decent match but it was too bad to pretty much know the outcome beforehand. The smackdown EC would have been better with NO Big Show who im sick to death of now.

And I thought Booker was awesome. So what if he hasnt gotten it perfect off the bat. Give him time; he's doing a lot better of a job than most and his interactions with Cole were gas. Honestly, he kept me quite entertained with his mad sayings and such.

Advertisement