Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most embarrassing thing you've done as a wrestling fan?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

i was on a full bus to collage and had my ipod on shuffle then hbk theme came on and the whole bus just looked at me with wried faces as i was mouthing the words to myself and only relised how loud it was till after i got off the bus

also ive started to notice when im drunk i do the shane o mac shuffle combined with hbk entrance moves when im on the dance floor

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Before i share my experience i would just like to point out that the words 'embarrassment' and 'wrestling fan' go hand in hand. :pac:

With that..

About two years ago i was hanging out with my good friend, KKV at his place, we decided to go for a wander about town (it was around 9-10pm on a saturday) but tonight we decided we would avail of his (very) impressive merch collection.
    So our items of choice? His kane replica (no mouth part 2002ish era) and a rey mysterio official mask. I decided to go for the kane one as he already had on a rey hoodie.

So we walk out of his house with the masks in his backpack, we said we would wait until getting to the edge of the estate before putting them on. We get to a green area with the back gates and that of peoples houses. Anyway one of us is putting the mask on while the other looks out and sure enough, as im getting all the straps velcro'd, some lad comes walking out of his back gate with his dog about to go for a walk, i hurried and walked back towards KKV, the man waited before i was gone to lock his gate muttering "what the fcuk is that?"..
    I went up to kkv who was already donning the mexican midgets mask, the guy sees us and was genuinely startled. We quickly started walking towards town then.

We decided to head for a really good chipper on the main street in drogheda, but to get there we would have to pass a lot of the pubs and a nightclub entrance or two, but would that stop us? Hell no!
    Were walking along and getting looks and shouts from people, halloween jokes and the like.
    And then the best one, we were walking past a very popular pub that had 3 doormen, the biggest one, who looked about 40ish, smacks kkv (who was walking in front of me) on the shoulder, kinda spinning him around towards him while barking a "HEY!"

I thought he was going to make some really brutish comment about how ridiculous we looked and we should spend our time doing something a little less childish.
    But what he said shocked and left me a little speechless.

"HEY!..*smack*..
    BATISTA *thumb points towards himself* WANTS A MATCH!!"

Kkv looks him dead in the eye and pulls off a great rey voice:
    "Ill see you.. at Wrestlemania!"

Wasnt as much as an embarrassing moment as much as it was a great memory that started out really embarrassing.

A really bad experience was we decided to get the nightrider bus on a friday night to go up to meet mick foley in easons the following day, me and him were determined to be first in the queue.
    We expected others to think the same. So were sitting there, at 4am on o'connel street watching the pubs empty and the gardi were trying to get everyone home, people sitting beside us:
    "Oh what are yous doing" "Waiting for easons to open.."
    "Why?!"
    "Theres a book signing tomorrow.." "Oh right... Who..?!"
    "Nevermind.."
    The gards tried moving us thinking we were taking the piss too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I'm agreeing with the people who say being a wrestling fan is like having a secret drug addiction! I have let the mask slip a few times, most notably attempting to do the Spinaroonie in a booze-fueled dance off in Howl at the Moon. The shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Im from Drogheda myself, brave men walking around with masks on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Just remembered that I had a t-shirt that had a massive picture of a sweaty post match Rikishi on it with the words ''Rikishi Phatu and your mama too'' emblazoned on it in bright yellow that I actually used to wear outdoors.How I didn't get bet up more as a teenager is beyond me!

I to had that t shirt :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Justin Ternet

Im so far out of the wrestling closet that absolutely nothing embarrasses me about it these days. My extended family ask me questions to antagonise me all the time so i just fill them with crap about how great my life is that im involved in wrestling. Mostly lies and exaggerations like but im sure it is more exciting than their weekly game of lets go to the same pub and drink the same drink and look at the same non wrestling sados over and over. I might organise a wrestling fan pride march in Dublin this year. I do however look back to ten years ago when i was rolling around fields and back gardens in kildare with my mates thinking we were the best wrestlers ever and cringe so much i feel like i might turn inside out. I was called 'The FreightTrain'. It actually makes me go red thinking of it. Couple that with crotch chopping people i didn't like and saying stuff like if you didn't do the geography homework give me a hell yeah. Luckily there was about ten major wrestling fans in my class at school so we formed a safety in numbers type deal from getting destroyed by the 'bigger boys'. We were the coolest kids alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Two of my friends always do the Triple H and Shawn Micheals pose when they have a few drinks on them, usually when posing infront of a camera. Not really an embarssassing moment but they once did it in this pub where a girl walked by and gave them a rather unimpressed look as if to say "Losers" Needless to say they just shrugged it off and continued doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭HBK

*Facepalm*

This has to be the MOST embarrassing thread ever! To read it makes me cringe!

I feel sorry for everyone! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Two of my friends always do the Triple H and Shawn Micheals pose when they have a few drinks on them, usually when posing infront of a camera. Not really an embarssassing moment but they once did it in this pub where a girl walked by and gave them a rather unimpressed look as if to say "Losers" Needless to say they just shrugged it off and continued doing it.

Which one do you do? :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,675 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

HBK wrote: »
    *Facepalm*

This has to be the MOST embarrassing thread ever! To read it makes me cringe!

I feel sorry for everyone! :(

PW fans have and always will be teh coolest of peeps ;)

I'll admit to having been givin a Last ride off a caravan and a second one where I ended up doing the worm during a dance off.

Okay others did on their stories so I guess I should elaborate on the above:

1) Summer as a kid/possibly young teen and there were a load of bushes that broke the fall on one side of the caravan. Twas down in Clare somewhere near Kilkee iirc

2) Twas in England shortly after they brought in the 24hour drinking laws (not that places actually got 24hr licenses in the vast majority of cases. Went out after work in a local bar but before we went myself and one of the barmaids had a few drinks before meeting others and as per usual i payed for 2 singles and got 2 triples...

fast forward to 5am and me drinking the whole night like i expected the bar to close at 2am and then any minute as I wasnt wearing a watch and its fair to say I was well lubricated and dancing like a tool. Unbeknownst to us the entire dancefloor was in a dance off and bad dancers were being asked to leave (if i had known i probably would have assumed the whole thing was a subtle effort to remove me). eventually only a handfull of people where left on the dancefloor and my friends excluding the girl i started the night with left the dancefloor. I asked her if we should go and she insisted I stay, only at that point did I realised we were in a danceoff.

She was elimated as was some other guy and it was just me and left alone with a guy who the very sight of scared me, he was like a mix between amir kahn and Micheal Flatley bouncing around the floor. I tried to leave the dancefloor by my own decision but was pushed back on by the crowd annoyingly egging me on, but it was late and I was pissed so What I think I thought was F*ck it! danceoff! I felt like I was doing some sort of bizzare stumbling/jumping around the area whilst he did some step up to the streets bull yet oddly i could see from his reaction after my turn to do my stuff (looked like i was having an epileptic fit) and that of the audience that I was winning. I was f'd tho and fully out of breath so aswell as at some point throwing in a hulk hogan ear cupping (think i threw in an auld Houghton tumble too) I then made my finale The Worm.

All these moves I supposidly pulled off completely perfectly, however i felt like i was going to puke and could barely breath so stumbled out off the now less guarded dancefloor and headed straight the the toilet. funnily a few mins later the guy I was against came in and compliment me on my performance then asked me one of the funniest things Id ever been asked... Are you a proffesional dancer? I felt like a pr!ck afterwards but I responded without thinking and laughed in the guys face before saying no im an injured rugby player.

I know thats now too embaracing when told like that but the next day when I had a shift at work my boss who was also the chef came up to me with one of the other bartenders phones, he had a video of me dancing from the night before. Nnot that I was fully lucid but i didnt see anyone taping it but the video was like 30 seconds long and for most of it, exluding the 2 wrestling moves my legs were just a blur. I got some slaggings at work after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

Saturday ngiht with fellow boardsie lankysexybeast was the drunkest I have been in a long time.....the wrestling references did not stop all night.

1) We made it a mission to bring every rock catchphrase into normal conversations all ngiht - we allmost succeeded too - neither of us mentioned pie.

2) In Doyles after a ricockulous amount of drink, ric flair chopping each other, screaming "woooo" and getting others to join in (one of my mates almost killed LSB!)

3) After EVEN MORE drink we desended into "finally.....c&G have come BAACK to drunk town"

4) walking down grafton st passing the guy with a John 3:7 sign, shouting, "you talk about your psalms, talk about your john 3:7....well austin 3:16....."

im sure there was more but thats all i can think of right now......man we were hammered.....but it was still epic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Only last Friday after a few beers I somehow got Jimmy Snuka in Madison Square Garden in the cage in my head and wanted to do his splash on one of my mates. My mate sat in one of the chairs and I splashed on him botching it in the process. I smacked him in the face with my elbow and smashed my leg off the armrest. Still limping 3 days later.

Same thing happened last year at a wedding. Got it into my head I was RVD and wanted to jump over a round table. Once again I botched it landed hard on the ground with the table on top of me. Tbf twas good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,587 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Great stories!

One reminded me of something I did. Hilarious at the time, but in retrospect cringeworthy.

Me and my mate left my house to go into town and spent the entire journey (walking to the bus stop, walking on the bus, walking to the pub) walking like the Bushwackers and talking like Luke and Butch. Obviously when were refused from our intended destination we saw the flaw in our plan.

It was exhausting too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭pbffan

Riddle101 wrote: »

It's the Orton pose for me :)

Any given Saturday night :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭HorseRadish

Nephews party a few years ago had a bouncy castle. The aunt went in to give em sweets and stuff...plank here stands behind her,stalking Rock-esque as he is setting her up for the Rock Bottom. *ROCK BOTTOM CONNECTS!!*The kids got a great laugh off it. Aunt...not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

My most embarrassing moment happened about three months ago. I was on the bus coming home from a long hard day at work, listening to a wrestling podcast on my phone.

I don't have an iPod or anything fancy like that, and when i'm listening to something on my phone using earphones, and then suddenly pull out the earphones from the phone, it will play the media automatically through the speaker.

So there I was on the bus listening to my smark wrestling podcast, when i thought it would be a good idea to close my eyes to rest them for a few seconds. Problem is though, I didn't actually open them. Yes, I had fallen asleep on the bus. No big deal, right?

Until I actually woken, to the blaring sound of the podcast in full speaker mode, audible to all the passengers around me. Obviously, when I was enjoying my snooze-fest, I had yanked out the earphones from the phone.

I was probably in a coma only for about 10-15 minutes, giving about 25 Dubliners their first taste of Dave Meltzer and Dan 'The Mouth' Lebranski, hopefully even persuading one or two of them to become pro-wrestling fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

Some funny stories here :D

I have a couple of contirbutions of my own when it comes to funny & embarressing moments. Luckily enough, when i got big into Wrestling (around 1999 ish) a lot of my friends were into it. So we would be walking around town (as you do when youre 14), just talking about the latest Raw or whatever, and doing the typical HHH water spraying, at the disgust of others and smelling what the rock is cooking.

I can remember beinag at a teenage disco and attempting to do a full on Worm, including Scotty 2 Hottys whole build up dance thing and failing miserably.

But the most outrageous (not quiet ambarressing) thing was a couple of years ago, at a mates 21st, there just happened to be this blow up sheep passed around. so me and another mate (one of the biggest WWE fans i know) were out the back in the crowded beer garden, and we get our hands on this sheep. so in our drunken states we decided to imitate as many finishers as we could on the poor inflatable sheep. I mean there was stunners, rock bottoms, piledrives, chokeslams off tables, pedigrees, last rides, you name it. It went on for about 15 /20 minutes with people looking on in amazement at these 2 lunatics running around kicking the **** out of a blow up sheep. I can even remember jusmping from one of the tables while doing a DX crotch chop in mid air .

Another small thing that pops to mind was one of my friends in school, made a bet of 50p that "Naked" Mideon, wouldnt actually get Naked in his match against William Regal at some PPV (around 2000/2001 sometime). He got down to his little thong so i claimed i won :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭Smoshi

I went to an IWW show back in summer '07.

One of the first matches had Bam Katraz coming out with the Zero Gravity title.

Well i had a few on me, so i was "merry" to say the least. As he was making his entrance, he was letting the kids touch the belt. I wanted to get a hold of the thing, in my state, it looked Fantastic! So i decided to reach across 2 rows of children to try and touch the title.

I fell over and nearly crushed a little girl! I got an earfull from her mammy & sat there with a pouty face on me for the next 20 minutes :(

Advertisement