Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blue lights driving- problems???

Options
  • 19-02-2011 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

I had a really bad experience whilst on an AS1 call yesterday. We were coming into a town on lights and sirens when we approached roadworks (with traffic lights) one side of the road was closed off.
    We go about half way up the road works when obviously the oncoming traffics light went green and the started driving towards us.
    There is no way these people could not have seen us coming (big yellow ambo with blue lights and siren whaling!!)
    Anyway, we ended up having to pull in to the closed section of the road to let the traffic by.
    To make it worse they just kept on coming- at least 25 cars went by and only pulled in out of the way. One woman in a van actually started waving her arms and giving us abuse out the window.... :confused:
    Only when the lights went red where we able to pull back out and continue up the road.

What is wrong with people these days?? do they not have any decency any more? anyone else have an experience like this?

(sorry for the rant- just very annoyed over it)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

murf313 wrote: »
    I had a really bad experience whilst on an AS1 call yesterday. We were coming into a town on lights and sirens when we approached roadworks (with traffic lights) one side of the road was closed off.
    We go about half way up the road works when obviously the oncoming traffics light went green and the started driving towards us.
    There is no way these people could not have seen us coming (big yellow ambo with blue lights and siren whaling!!)
    Anyway, we ended up having to pull in to the closed section of the road to let the traffic by.
    To make it worse they just kept on coming- at least 25 cars went by and only pulled in out of the way. One woman in a van actually started waving her arms and giving us abuse out the window.... :confused:
    Only when the lights went red where we able to pull back out and continue up the road.

What is wrong with people these days?? do they not have any decency any more? anyone else have an experience like this?

Driving under beacon doesn't entitle anyone to break the traffic laws if I'm not mistaken. You're still bound by the rules of the road. Traffic lights still have to be obeyed and only continue if it's safe to do so . (I'm open to correction on that if anyone can ) I can understand your frustration and it wouldn't be something I'd do myself......but they had the right of way if the lights were with them and had every right to keep driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭murf313

480905 wrote: »
    Driving under beacon doesn't entitle anyone to break the traffic laws if I'm not mistaken. You're still bound by the rules of the road. Traffic lights still have to be obeyed and only continue if it's safe to do so . (I'm open to correction on that if anyone can ) I can understand your frustration and it wouldn't be something I'd do myself......but they had the right of way if the lights were with them and had every right to keep driving.

I don't think there was anywhere in my post where I stated I was entitled to right of way. I'm well aware of the rules of the road. The point I was trying to make is when did people become so self centred that they couldn't wait 10 seconds for an ambulance to pass?
    At the end of the day we weren't on blue lights for the good of my health......

I'm being devils advocate there horse. . . .Settle. Thats the Mentality of Joe Public all over...Once it doesn't concern them ...they don't give a f''k

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭smokie2008

Who gives a sh!t, he's talking about people being decent, Its not exactly rocket science that when you see a big yellow Ambulance with blue flashing lights coming towards you that you get the fúck out of its way, could be your mother, gran, brother a small child, whatever.

I really can't understand people who don't do absolutely everything to get the hell out of the way of an EMERGENCY vehicle.

It absolutely infuriates me to see people doing this.
    What is their mind set??
    What do they be thinking???
    I'm not letting an ambulance passed no way, I'm on the way to work and can't spare 10 seconds to move out of a Medics way.:mad:

And I'm in no way connected to any emergency services.
    Rant Over.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭CaseyRyback

The general public doesn't take kindly to being delayed for any reason and if someone's life is at risk, well that's not their problem so just get out of the way already!

You get the same thing at fatal traffic accidents, fires, bomb alerts.... in fact anything that causes even the slightest delay for the general public usually results in a variety of complaints, abuse and even assaults.

Just accept it, and try not to despair of humanity too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Just accept it

but it isn't acceptable. It just isn't.

I'm being devils advocate there horse. . . .Settle. Thats the Mentality of Joe Public all over...Once it doesn't concern them ...they don't give a f''k

Apologies if i sounded aggressive there, it wasn't intentional. :)

I'm used to the usual isolated incident of the oul boy in his jeep who refuses to let you by but I've never came across such a high volume of people not giving a fcuk.

uberwolf wrote: »
    but it isn't acceptable. It just isn't.

Tell that to the morons who do this stuff.

When you've tired of banging your head against a wall and have an ulcer, then accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

My experience, for what it's worth, is that most people would drive over a dead body in the middle of the road, if it would save them 5 minutes.

Afterall the same people voted Fianna Fail into power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Once more I shall troupe out this section from the Road Traffic Act 2004.

Basically members of AGS, Fire and Ambulance Service are not bound by the Road Traffic Acts except for Sections 49 (Drunk driving), 50 (Drunk in charge), and 53 (Dangerous Driving). Sections 12, 13, 14 and 15 of the 2004 Act mentioned in the above quote relate to providing a sample for a Drunk driving charge.

"where such use does not endanger the safety of other road users" is my point.. If an Ambulance driver or Garda broke a light in the course of their duties and crashed, the driver of the vehicle that broke the lights would be subject to investigation. As I said... driving with beacons doesn't give the driver free rein to take over the road. The OP is dead right in venting frustration at Joe Public

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

murf313 wrote: »

People get very fixated at the best of times. Given the inordinate delay forced on the average motorist at these impromptu traffic lights and given I've seen them locked for twenty minutes a time, this fixation and aggravation gets extreme.

So just as they get cleared after and inordinate delay, you come blaring along. Now also the average motorist has no way of knowing if an ambo is on an emergency for just going for tea ~ as one ambo crew were caught out on in Cork several years ago, plus even plumbers have lights nowadays too, so a bit of the immune syndrome gets added to the mix.

To help alleviate this precise example, why not petition for two things, shorter temporary red lights [from what Is see the builders don't know how to set them up] and two, why not have a override emergency pass through fitted to these temp lights by law.

Win win.

gbee wrote: »
    just going for tea ~ as one ambo crew were caught out on in Cork several years ago

It'd be particularly bad fortune then if it turns out its actually a friend or family member the vehicle is en route to and you're holding it up on account of what one crew did several years ago....according to some newspaper on a slow news day (or was that just some urban legend you heard somewhere, sometime etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

plus even plumbers have lights nowadays too

Driving big yellow vans with blues and two's? I doubt that.....

Trying to argue a reason for a motorist not pulling in out of the way of an ambo is pointless.
    It's not as if they arn't noticible.
    Luckily people around my area seem to have more sence and get out of the way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Nothing more infuriating then being on an urgent call and some pleb refuses to see a 8 tonne transit with blue flashing lights and three lads screaming at them to move.

(or was that just some urban legend you heard somewhere, sometime etc).

Nope it went to court. And at the same time for a similar reason the use of blues on blood transfusion vehicles was suspended too.

"where such use does not endanger the safety of other road users" is my point.. If an Ambulance driver or Garda broke a light in the course of their duties and crashed, the driver of the vehicle that broke the lights would be subject to investigation. As I said... driving with beacons doesn't give the driver free rein to take over the road. The OP is dead right in venting frustration at Joe Public

The op wasn't a danger to other road users, You stated that emergency services personnel were bound by the same laws as other road users, and asked to be corrected if possible....Which I did, providing the particular legislation.

The thread is about the fact that road users are ignorant as to how to behave around emergency services vehicles. No only that but often put lives in danger by thinking that their trip is more important than an emergency services vehicle on a blue light run.

Also it doesn't matter how many urban legends people hear. I can guarantee you that for an emergency services driver to be caught using their emergency equipment when not on an emergency call the consequences would be severe. The decision is not taken lightly to turn on lights and sirens and is only done when life or property are in real and serious danger. The attitude of some people in this thread is sickening. If you see an ambulance with lights and sirens going then PULL THE FúCK OVER!!!! and leave it past. The 20 seconds it takes to do this will not delay you but may mean the difference in saving a person's life.

shampon wrote: »
    Nothing more infuriating then being on an urgent call and some pleb refuses to see a 8 tonne transit with blue flashing lights and three lads screaming at them to move.

Not the point of this thread.

In this thread and in this incident the ambulance went against a red light at road works where a one way system was operating.

Sometimes there is just no where to go. And I don't think the transit is that heavy, 2.5 tonnes is classification.

foinse wrote: »
    The thread is about the fact that road users are ignorant as to how to behave around emergency services vehicles. .

Not really in the case brought by the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Sometimes there is just no where to go. And I don't think the transit is that heavy, 2.5 tonnes is classification.

If they were stopped at the temp lights and saw the ambulance coming up all they had to do was wait where they were till it was clear.

In fairness, one time this happened to me, the construction workers manually stopped oncoming traffic till I got past.

You need a C1 licence to drive current ambulances, which puts your supposition re weight to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

In this thread and in this incident the ambulance went against a red light at road works where a one way system was operating.

Point taken :D, Just saying how infuriating and selfish it for people to refuse to move when bluelighting...the lights are on for a reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭swiftblade

Also as a note of reference, those ambulances weigh more than 2.5 tonnes. There is a reason why they have doubled up wheels on the back. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

i know this isn't the reason for this thread but when one sees an emergency vehicle pull over.... to the left, the amount of people who pull to the right sometimes onto on coming traffic...is crazy.
    i have noticed this alot with foreign nationals and i'm convinced that it's because they're natural instincts in an emergency is to pull right as if they were in their own country on the other side of the road.

I believe you'll find if you go back and read the OP properly, you will see that the OP states that he was halfway through the road works when the lights changed and the cars came against him. This means he was already on the one way system and driving correctly. It also means that despite seeing that there was an emergency vehicle coming the drivers decided to drive into the one way system forcing him to pull in to let them past. So this thread is about drivers being ignorant about how to act around emergency vehicles and it is also about them caring more about themselves than some person who's life is in serious danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭guil

shampon wrote: »
    surely they arent that heavy
    another user said ya need a c1 to drive them but that would only cover ya upto 7.5 tonne

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

Let's put this urban myth about blue lighting it for tea, dinner etc to bed once & for all, we don't ****ing do it. The consequences of driving on our own private licence on blue lights is daunting enough let alone the consequences if management found out we were abusing them. Just for the record I've heard all the myths re this. As for the original post, the members if the public that drove towards the ambulance were plain stupid & it all comes down to lack of education as to what to do when an ES vehicle approaches you. Foinse is 100% correct in his posts

buzzman wrote: »
    the members if the public that drove towards the ambulance were plain stupid & it all comes down to lack of education as to what to do when an ES vehicle approaches you.

I think you're being very generous there buzzman. Personally I think education, or the lack thereof, has nothing to do with this. You don't need to be told to get out of the way of an emergency vehicle when on a shout. The actions outlined by the OP here simply boil down to selfishness, arrogance and stupidity (which you already rightly mentioned).

A law akin to that enjoyed by ES crews in the US (failure to yield to an emergency vehicle) were it introduced on Irish roads would generate enough revenue for Government coffers so as to pay off the national debt overnight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

In the example given by the OP did those other drivers commit an offence ?
    Is there a specific offence of failing to yield to an Emergency Services vehicle ?

If a Garda car is on blues and twos and another driver fails to yield is there any point in the observer noting the registration number ?

• Advertisement

Delancey wrote: »
    In the example given by the OP did those other drivers commit an offence ?

Possibly careless driving but its a bit iffy.
    Is there a specific offence of failing to yield to an Emergency Services vehicle ?

Afraid not. Its on the statute books in New York, not sure where else.
    If a Garda car is on blues and twos and another driver fails to yield is there any point in the observer noting the registration number?

Again it happens so frequently that you'd be hard pushed to chase up every instance and the observer (when there is one) has more important things to be doing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement