Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any secret installations in Ireland?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

dogmatix wrote: »

There is also a strange installation at the top of the Kellystown road near the three rock - it is a grassy mound with what looks like a small chimney or vent pipe on it. The thing is surrounded by a tall fence with barbed wire on it. I always assumed it was some sort of secret nuclear bunker for the pampered county councillers.

Near the old army firing range?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

My friend who grew up in Athlone tells me there's an old Cold War Era nuke bunker under the castle there. Hard to see all the ministers making it from Leinster House to Athlone when the nukes are airborne tho :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Near the old army firing range?

Aye - not far from it. Here is a streetview view of it - the grass is looking a bit tired and the vent appears to have gone missing...

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&biw=1171&bih=590&q=google+maps+dublin&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x48670e80ea27ac2f:0xa00c7a9973171a0,Dublin,+Co.+Dublin&gl=ie&sa=X&ei=CGBcUNewM8iJhQft4YGABg&sqi=2&ved=0CBsQ8gEwAA

Funny the link did not copy across correctly... It's marked as 364 Kellystown road, Co dublin, Ireland on google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭beeintheknow

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Oh Dear...Somone was fed a good CND line.:D:D

I still have me iodine tablets so I'll be sound.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

[Jackass] wrote: »
    That's because it's the footpath. You can't see it, they open it up from the ground up and the doors are literally the footpath pavings. If you look closely whilst there, it's roughly at the turn of Stephens Green and at the begining of the Luas tracks, over on the side of the railing of Stephens Green, from memory, maybe in slightly, where it was newly paved. I'm not sure how obvious it even is whilst looking for it standing there, but it's definitely there! I've seen it open!

There is a similar setup for the Luas stop at Heuston station - you can now and then see Alstom maintenance personal opening up a large hatch in the centre median and descending down a staircase underground. I always assumed it was where electrical plant equipment was located.

You can actually see the hatch in the centre of this map.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is also a strange installation at the top of the Kellystown road near the three rock - it is a grassy mound with what looks like a small chimney or vent pipe on it. The thing is surrounded by a tall fence with barbed wire on it. I always assumed it was some sort of secret nuclear bunker for the pampered county councillers.

Likely a small water reservoir to serve the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

I still have me iodine tablets so I'll be sound.

Do they have a "use by" date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Victor wrote: »
    Likely a small water reservoir to serve the locals.

Yeah as Victor said a underground (or rather badly disguised above ground) water reservoir. Loads of them around the country. The chimney was indeed a vent. Normally found ontop of hills. Water is very lazy and doesnt like having to travel up hills of it's own accord :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Jim Martin wrote: »
    Do they have a "use by" date?
    yes

which is strange because KI is nearly as stable as common salt that been in the sea for billions of years.

• Advertisement

cargo wrote: »
    Yeah as Victor said a underground (or rather badly disguised above ground) water reservoir. Loads of them around the country. The chimney was indeed a vent. Normally found ontop of hills. Water is very lazy and doesnt like having to travel up hills of it's own accord :-)

That's a bit disappointing - i was hoping it was something more exciting. I always had this image in my mind of a long convoy of stretch limos stuffed with fat sweaty Fianna Fail county councillors heading up the steep Kellystown road as a big mushroom cloud rose over Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

That's a bit disappointing - i was hoping it was something more exciting. I always had this image in my mind of a long convoy of stretch limos stuffed with fat sweaty Fianna Fail county councillors heading up the steep Kellystown road as a big mushroom cloud rose over Dublin.

Those fat cats would be long gone under by the time a warhead would be approaching Dublin. IMO, what has to be remembered is that by the time there's a mushroom cloud over Dublin...

...1) The EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse) from any bomb, including initial high altitude bombs (or even some bombs in Britain) would knock out most electrical devices and motor devices (which AFAIK have chips built in). Those limos would be long disabled IMO. High altitude bombs are AFAIK a tatical ploy the Russians etc. would use to blow out (destroy most electrical circuits) regions and hence immobilize the populations therein before the main strike.

...2) Before the mushroom cloud would form, I guess the shockwave from the initial blast would have destroyed Dublin - hence, those limos would be long since blown off the road by the time the mushroom would form - that's if there's even a road by then. There's also the heatwave that would probably have everything burned by then, including the limos.

...3) There's a lot more to a nuclear bomb than a mushroom cloud which is really the aftermath (including fallout). In my mind, the actual bomb is when the flash occurs as the nuclear fusion takes place releasing a biblical amout of energy from a relatively small device - I guess that energy comes in the form of light, shock-waves, heat, electro magnetic pulses etc. The fallout occurs when the radioactive mushroom cloud particles fall back to earth causing mass contamination with consequences including cancer and genetic corruption.

Now, I'm not a nuclear expert, but I have bit's and pieces of info on it. Of course, correct me if I'm wrong, but the above is my take on it ATM.

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yeah but could it get through a FF bunker made of brown paper bags full of cash if it was located at leopardstown racecourse?

Something tells me if Bertie was at ground zero he'd still manage to walk away without a scratch. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Did I and P say heatwave, words that haven't been said on this isle for many a moon... And a nuclear bomb creates one of these... Could we make a few tiny ones and try them out as an answer to our nations woes , it'd be cheaper than banks and misery ... Less fall out too....

On a more on topic note... Most of fort Camden in crosshaven is under ground about 40 acre site at the mouth of the harbour , not so secret as they're opening it up to the public.... Opposite Camden is fort Carlille as was think it's fort Davis now, still an army camp ... Don't know what's there though... Could be secret....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Norad

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

My friend who grew up in Athlone tells me there's an old Cold War Era nuke bunker under the castle there. Hard to see all the ministers making it from Leinster House to Athlone when the nukes are airborne tho :pac:

The nuke bunker is under the Billet Block which overlooks the sports field which is beside the Shannon and visible from the main road.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Any truth to the rumor I've heard about a secret nuclear reactor in one of the colleges?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hibbeler wrote: »
    Any truth to the rumor I've heard about a secret nuclear reactor in one of the colleges?

UCC had an research reactor (used for making isotopes for cancer treatment, etc.) that was decommissioned.

Little did Cork Corporation know it was running when they declared the city a nuclear free zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Hibbeler

Victor wrote: »
    UCC had an research reactor (used for making isotopes for cancer treatment, etc.) that was decommissioned.

Little did Cork Corporation know it was running when they declared the city a nuclear free zone.

That's interesting. I thought my friend was pulling my leg, what with the anti-nuclear sentiment in this country.

When was this built, (I'd assume round the time they wanted to build the plant on carnsore point)? Also where did UCC get the nuclear material and the technology from? My guess would be the UK or maybe the US or France. Although more to the point, how did they decommission it without a big fuss over radiation and nuclear material?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭rameire

Hibbeler wrote: »
    That's interesting. I thought my friend was pulling my leg, what with the anti-nuclear sentiment in this country.

When was this built, (I'd assume round the time they wanted to build the plant on carnsore point)? Also where did UCC get the nuclear material and the technology from? My guess would be the UK or maybe the US or France. Although more to the point, how did they decommission it without a big fuss over radiation and nuclear material?

I was on the belief that it was donated by the US and that it was still in Storage in UCC.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Hedgemeister

I served 30 years in the Army and never even heard of a 'secret' facility...not that any such structure would remain a secret for too long in this country. As regards the old terminal building at Dublin Airport which we referred to as 'The Morgue', this was a staging area for armed troops going overseas (and arriving back) during the 60s through to the 90s. Personally, I had the misfortune to 'visit' there 12 times - a dismal, freezing, windowless building in the 'nether regions' of the Airport. This was the last view we got of Mother Ireland before climbing the steps of the cheapest airplane the same Mother Ireland could hire to fly us to the Congo, Cyprus and the Leb. It's sad (to me at least) that this kip was the last Irish building that (too many) Irish soldiers used before giving their lives for World Peace.

Returning home, our delight was soon turned sour by the jobsworths at 'The Morgue' who awaited us, going through our kit with relish in the hope of finding contraband, only to be visibly dissapointed. Still, they managed to spoil every homecoming, massaging their egos by trying to order us about...'stand there...line up here...no...not there...you there...take off that jacket 'til I search the pockets'... etc. (They actually tried this in '79, as we came back from the Leb with the 44th Inf Bn)
    On one trip (we were rotating weapons from the Lebanon) when one little prick of a Cutoms Offices reached for my Service Pistol and tried to take it from the holster.
    'You can't carry that in Ireland,' he said. (I hope his knuckles are better by now)
    After up to 4 hours of this ****e we would be allowed to go, smuggled out the rear of the Airport (always in the dark) in case the public saw us.
    Troops returning from o/seas can now use the normal airport arrivals/departure lounges I understand, if they are un-armed.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sounds possibly like the old North Terminal, made redundant when T1 was built.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yet again, Irish signposting is found lacking...

1031531187_c1ae77030e.jpg

;)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There was a nukular lighthouse SW OF Glencolumbkille ...now converted to solar. Yes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There was a nukular lighthouse SW OF Glencolumbkille ...now converted to solar. Yes.
    Always thought that strange using a radioisotope generator to get very inefficient electrical generation to power an inefficient bulb. When all they needed to do was remove the lid on "the ol' glow in the dark" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Condi wrote: »

Rathlin O'Birne

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

• Registered Users Posts: 34,238 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Stupid attitude.

They keep very quiet about the only (former) nuclear reactor in Ireland too :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

The Russians would have wiped out all of Western Europe in a nuclear war; the idea being that there would be no working countries left to help with the rebuild. And that includes us.

Bet you never heard the anti-war movement tell you about that little nugget, did ya? :eek:

Dont get ya. Surely the anti-war movement would be shouting that from the rooftops????

There's an explosive making factory outside Edenderry.

Any of yiz ever been inside Intel? I worked there for nearly a decade, and I've never seen half of it. I can tell you, there are a few spooky tunnels and cubbyholes in the basement. One of the freakiest things I ever heard was when my boss was pointing out barrels of chemical waste that cant be disposed of in Ireland. Someone asked him where it goes, his reply was Russia, because its the country with the lowest environmental standards and the least amount of red tape:eek:

There's also a certificate of nuclear compliance hanging on the wall inside the front door. They actually do have some nuclear material on site!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement