Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some bits and pieces from my small collection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Small collection :D. Know nothing about British awards, do they all have the details impressed on the rims? The index cards, are these the soldiers war record from the national archives or is there more to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭HerrScheisse

I have a question on all these well researched medals. Do you do research before buying to find one with interesting history, or is it mainly just bought on the basis on unit name and researched afterwards?

Just curious! Also curious where Phaeton finds all these Irish themed WW1 medals ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭phaethon

Hi,

I do the research after the purchase and I pick them up usually locally - fellow collectors, dealers, etc.

Unfortunately my collection usually is not very "static", so I will let go most of the Irish units awards, some Police related and MBEs, except Dublin Fusiliers awards, what I will focuse more in the future.;)

Regards,

Phaethon

Small but pretty unusal Saxony Red Cross member three place ribbon bar.

- Honour Cross for Voluntary Medical Service in Wartime
    - Prussian Red Cross Merit Medal, III class
    - one of the many Bulgarian awards on war ribbon

187589010960d4_l.jpg

One pretty scarse imperial Russian medal. Medal for 1914 Mobilization (should be with the dark blue ribbon - white eagle order ribbon)

187589030432c2_l.jpg

• Advertisement

Imperial Russia 1904-1905 Russo-Japanese medal.

Interesting legend comes with the text on reverse..

"Praise you God in their time". Story is that on the sketch text was only "Praise you God". Imperator looked the papers and because war was still ongoing, wrote on it a remark when the medal should be issued - in the future or "in their time". But the makers tought that this note should be added in as well:D.

18758905c00438_l.jpg

Bulgarian award with the Saxe-Coburg-Gothe "twist";)

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Commemorative Medal for the Election of Prince Ferdinand I, 2nd Class, 1887[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Medal was instituted on 21st December 1887 and awarded to military who had been members of the garrisons of the towns through which Ferdinand I passed on his arrival in Bulgaria on 2nd August 1887.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Prince Ferdinand Battenberg (of House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha) was a well-connected, German prince, related to many of the crowned heads of Europe. He became King (Tsar) of Bulgaria in 1908 on the declaration of the kingdom until 3rd October 1918 when country became defeated in the Great War.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This award is Maltese cross type, with [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]fleur-de-lys[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] between the arms. Obverse centre medallion bearing the crowned cipher of Ferdinand I within a ring inscribed “[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]БОЖИЯ И НАРОДНА ВОЛЯ[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]” (By the will of the Prince and the People).[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The reverse central medallion bearing the Saxon coat of arms within a ring inscribed “[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]25 ЮЛІЙ 2 АВГУСТЪ 1887[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]” (25th July 2nd August 1887).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]All awards made by Rothe in Vienna and 2nd Class only 1,019 were issued.[/FONT]

188336931599f3_o.jpg

That's a rare find you got there!

Pretty rare alright! After serious looking I can see currently only one same award on sale on the main online dealers sites. They do not show up often on the market. I picked it up over the trade and I did pretty well regarding the funds what I put under it.

Something from Austria:

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]General Campaign Medal (Die Kriegsmedaille), 1873[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This medal was established on Kaiser Franz Joseph I 25th Jubilee in December 1873 for Austro-Hungarian military, who took part different campaigns from 1848 until probably end of World War I. Currently the last official record of awarding what has been found was in 1901.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]On the obverse there is laurel-crowned head of Emperor Franz Joseph I with the text “FRANZ JOSEPH I . KAISER V. ÖSTERREICH. KÖNIG V. BÖHMEN ETC. APOST. KÖNIG V.UNGARN.” (Franz Joseph I, Emperor of Austria, King of Bohemia etc. Apostolic King of Hungary). On the reverse there is the date when the medal was instituted - “2 DECEMBER 1873” within a oak and laurel wreath.[/FONT]

1883951966e566_l.jpg

Might I ask what is behind the symbology on the Imperial Russia 1904-1905 Russo-Japanese medal? The "all seeing eye" - its the same symbology as on US currency.

• Advertisement

Its not only on US currency, I have seen it some anothers as well...;)

I don't know why its in there but I presume free masons, who had power next to the imperator during these years in Russia.

Estonia War of Independence Commemorative Medal (Vabadussõja mälestusmedal)

Designed by August Timus on 1920. Most of the medals were made in France in Arthus Bertrand firm. First 2500 were made without the signature stamp of designer. Then there is most rarest few hundreds, what was made locally in Tallinn by Roman Tavast firm and the biggest order (85,000) has been made with the designer signature under obverse text "KODUKAITSEKS" (For home defence) in France.

Mine is second rare without the signature. Picked it up from UK last week (via internet:pac:).

18823773a6be39_o.jpg

188237532fb891_l.jpg

Hi guys,

Today I received this great looking small medal bar from post and I must say - I am thrilled! I am not an expert but I think that it is one of the kind medal bar. As some members who have seen it already, indicated it has to be an Embassy staff, Royal Household clerk or Royal ship crew member set, who has been in Gibraltar during some high level visits.

Medals on the medal bar:

- 1911 Coronation medal
    - Spanish Military Merit Order Cross (peacetime merit ribbon)
    - Portugal D. Carlos I Royal Household Medal, 1889 (awarded from 1908) (medal is lose and I accidently scanned it, when it was wrong way around)

Any info, ideas, etc about this set would be great to hear. Also I must say that the work, pin system and quality is amazing. Unfortunately some ribbons what holds the medals in place and the Portugal medal ribbon is lose. What to you guys think - fix it or leave it like it is?

Regards,

Timo aka Phaethon

18982353908832_l.jpg

18982355f80595_l.jpg

Now some ribbon bars from imperial Germany:

1. Looks like regular WW1 combatant ribbon bar, who carried out some duties early start of the WW2 as well. Weird that there isn't a long service award. Swords are turned down - something what is possible to see on the bars sometimes.... symbol of the result of the war.

18982357867da1_l.jpg

2. Very nicelly made bar from pre 1934 period. Very strong Prussian and Bayren connection. Maybe guy from Bavaria who served under Prussian crown later on? Anyway, Jubilee medals from both states I have seen usually high end officers bars - this guy surelly wasn't it (missing orders, etc) and looks like he/she was more likelly civilian clerk with some very odd job!

18982363812637_l.jpg

3. This one I picked up mainly because the second ribbon - there is surelly less bars from 30s with the Honor Cross for Next-of-Kin around (so called Hindenburg Cross for widows).

18982361da0782_l.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Prussian Commemorative Cross for 1866 War - Königgrätz ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Erinnerungskreuz 1866[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif])[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Cross was established on the 20th September 1866 by Wilhelm I after victory against Austria. There was three version of that Cross: first, who took part main battle of Königgrätz, for the Army of the Main and “Trueue Kriegern”. These crosses were made from captured Austrian cannons.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]18982347f3c9ee_l.jpg[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Red Cross Silver Merit Medal (Ehrenzeichen vom Roten Kreuz Silberne Ehrenmedaille)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Medal was instituted on the 1914 when Austrian Red Cross became 50 years old. Text [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]‘PATRIAE AC HUMANITATE’ (Fatherland and Humanity).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Mine is not in the best shape and missing the ribbon. Maybe some nice day I can “upgrade” it.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1898234939a5fc_l.jpg[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Here is one really nice and scarce ribbon bar from first Latvian Republic (1918-1940). It is very interesting to see that they used identical ribbon bar constructions, as their neighbours from North – Estonia. Maybe because Estonian Defence forces helped them gain the victory over German Freikorps (“Iron Division”) in the [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Battle of Cēsis[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](Wenden). After conflicts between themselves regarding borderline (especially city Valga/Valka what remain spited two still today), they had strong connections between two countries and defence organisations.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This ribbon bar belonged to the young officer, who was probably member of Latvian Home Defence. This bar consists:[/FONT]

● [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Order of the Three Stars ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Triju Zvaigžņu Ordenis[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif])[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Order of Vesthardus ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Viesturs Ordenis[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif])[/FONT]
    ● [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Medal of Merit of the Home Defence ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Aizsargu Medala ‘Par Centību’[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif])[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Last two awards make this ribbon bar extremely rare. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Order of Vesthardus was established 1938 and exist only two years.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Medal[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]of Merit of the Home Defence was established 1939 and only few hundred was ever awarded.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- Probably many, who received these two awards, didn’t let the ribbon bar made same moment. Meantime times went hard already 1939, when Soviet Union forced their army bases to the Baltic States and probably many of the new award recipients didn’t think at these hard times how to get the ribbon bar made, instead more actual was to see how to survive these hard times. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- During the WW2 lots of homes was destroyed when the war went over Latvia and as a part of all destruction – many awards and ribbon bars was destroyed.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- As a part of Soviet block from 1944 people didn’t keep these kind items anymore because something like that was a ticket to repressions by KGB and Soviet authorities.[/FONT]

189935234b876a_l.jpg

My today's write-up:

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Liberation War Commemorative Medal (Vapaussodan Muistomitali), 1918[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Finnish Liberation War Commemorative Medal was established on the 10th September 1918 by the Finnish Senate decree 170/1918.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]All who participated in the Liberation War against Russia were entitled to that commemorative award, including non-Finnish troops who fought on the soil of Finland during that period (there were 550 Swedish volunteers and around 13,000 Germans).[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The earliest medals were made in blackened or silvered iron, later some medals were made as well from silver.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]First the medal was designed with the dark blue ribbon but in order to avoid confusion with the Order of the White Rose's ribbon, General Mannerheim, who was Regent of Finland at this time, decided on the 3rd July 1919 to have this medal's ribbon changed to blue with the two black stripes. Also the Finnish rose was instituted to wear attached to the ribbon, which represented an honour award before the Order of the Cross of the Liberty.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Furthermore in some cases clasps were attached to the ribbon with the location where the owner of the medal participated (Tampere, Satakunta, Viipuri, Savo, etc) or the unofficial unit name where the recipient served. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]On the reverse there is a cross pattée with a cross gammée (swastika) imposed and a central rose of Finland. Regarding the cross gammée it has been an ancient symbol in Scandinavia but because it was used (abuse) by Germany from 1933-1945 it became largely outcast after 1945.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Two arms with the swords are adopted from the Finland Coat of Arms. Left arm with the European knight’s style armament and swords represents Finland and sabre (ryssesabel) represents an enemy.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]On the reverse there is Finland Coat of Arms - crowned lion, the right forepaw replaced with an armoured hand brandishing a sword, trampling on a sabre with the hind paws. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]On the bottom part of the reverse, there is a maker hallmark “S & Co”. This means Swedish company “Sporrong & Co” where the most of the medals were produced.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Lists of [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]recipients were closed on the 11th January 1919 but were reviewed and extended on the 1932 and finally completed 1961. Around 89,000 persons became entitled for the medal in 1919 and extended list added 9911 people. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]One interesting fact for collectors is that the medals distribution lists are divided into four series. One of these is a Commemorative Medal List for foreigners. Finnish lists are divided according to the way the medals were claimed – army or local municipal authorities, etc. There are usually inputs regarding: name, rank, unit, profession in civil life, DOB. Also extra information if the medal was handed over to the KIA soldier relatives. However, not all the lists are complete.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Sources:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://www.hyrsky.fi/kunniamerkkinauhat.htm[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://www.ritarikunnat.fi/muut_viralliset_kunniamerkit.asp[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://www.finnmedals.net[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://wiki.narc.fi/portti/index.php/Kunniamerkkivaliokunta[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_Civil_War[/FONT]

19000417a7a016_o.jpg

I have busy times in home especially because our one month old daughter but I managed to finish one of the write-ups about the hero of Estonian War of Independent (1918-1920).... who's order I received. Sorry now about the English mistakes but I hope you like the story:rolleyes:

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Eduard Luha (28.03.1901 – 03.04.1972)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Corporal[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]8th Company, 2nd Infantry Regiment (Tartu district)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Eduard was born as a son of farmers Jaan and Maaria Luha on the 28[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]th[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] of March 1901 in Haaslava area, County Tartumaa, Estonia. They had seven children; brothers Oskar, Eduard, August and Alfred, sisters Adele, Luise and Helena.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Eduard got 6 class education, after what he probably end up working on his family farm.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]During the Estonian War of Independence (28.11.1918-02.02.1920) Eduard enlisted voluntarily on the 18th December 1918 and he served as a Corporal in the 8th Company at 2nd Infantry Regiment (8. rood, 2. jalaväepolk), which was formed mainly from the local man from County Tartumaa.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]On the 23rd of April 1919 in the battle near Tõlva village, Southern Estonia, Corporal Eduard Luha showed great combat skills and courage against the Bolsheviks troops, because of this, he was nominated by the battle leader Ensign ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Lipnik[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]) Välja for Estonia’s highest bravery award, The Cross of Liberty Grade II/3 Class ([/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Vabadusrist II/3[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]). Recommendation was officially approved on the Government lists on the 5th March 1920 [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](4)[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]. Only 1,672 Estonian soldiers received this high recognition from the State [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](1)[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif].[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]During the war, Eduard was wounded three times;[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- Near Zagorje village. Weapon [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]spike bayonet wound to the hand[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- Near Tõlva village. Grenade fragments to the knee[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- Near Kõõriküla village. Suffered heavy shock from grenade detonation near by.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]After the war, Eduard trained in Tartu to become a baker later he found a job in Riga, Latvia where he met his wife Melli (Melita Niedrins). After returning back to Estonia with Melli, his daughter Ida Luha (Ida Victoria Sambrook - Luha) was born on 27th September 1927.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]In the 1930s they lived in Tartu, where Eduard worked first as a Baker and then became Tartu Prison Guard, promoted before the Second World War, to senior Prison Guard. He was also active in the Home Guard (“[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Kaitseliit”[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]) and [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Union of Participants in the Estonian War of Independence[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] (“[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Eesti Vabadussõjalaste Liit“ [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]so called „[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Vapsid[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]”) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](3)[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif].[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Life became hard when the Red Army forced their military bases to Estonia soil, which ended up as a full occupation and repressions against Estonians.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Eduard was forced to leave his Prison Guard work and Sunday, 22nd June 1941, when the war between Soviet Union and Germany broke out.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He was arrested by the NKVD from 69 Puiestee Street in Tartu and deported to Russia. He was charged by Troika [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](2)[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] and convicted guilty on the 27th January 1943 in Kirov Oblast [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](5)[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif].[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He was convicted based on notorious Article 58 two paragraphs [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](6)[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]§58-4. Any kind of help to "international bourgeoisie" which, not recognizing the equality of communist political system, strives to overthrow it: punishment 3 years up to death.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]§58-13. Active struggle against revolutionary movement of "counter-revolutionary governments" during the Civil War. Usually this paragraph was used against ex soldiers who fought in the War of Independence, members of Estonia Police, Army, Home Defence, etc.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He was released from the [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Vjatka labour camp on the 17th August 1943 and returned[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] to Estonia Eduard arrived with the Red Army in September 1944. Tragically Melli had left Estonia with her daughter, going west and ultimately after the war she settled in the United Kingdom.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Eduard was deported back to Siberia and he was released after Stalin’s death in 1954. Upon his return to Estonia and he was unable to find any traces of Melli and their daughter.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He married the widow Endla, widow with 10 year old son Ants in 1956.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]But in the 1966 via Sweden Eduard was able to find a contact with Melli. But at this time “Cold War” was on its peek and a visit t each other was impossible.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Eduard Luha died on the 3rd April 1972 and hs final resting place is in County Tartumaa, Luunja graveyard.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]His daughter Ida, who he didn’t see after 1941 and never again died in Bradford on the 4th October 2006 and her ashes are buried next to his father in the home ground.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Sources (some in English - ENG):[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](1) Cross of Liberty (Estonia) ENG[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross_of_Liberty_(Estonia)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](2) Troika ENG[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NKVD_troika[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](3) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Union of Participants in the Estonian War of Independence ENG[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaps_Movement[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](4) Estonian President web page[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://www.president.ee/et/vabariik/teenetemargid/kavalerid.php?id=16586[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](5) Kirov Oblast ENG[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirov_Oblast[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](6) Article 58 ENG[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Article_58[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](7) Museum of Occupation, Memento 2005[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://www.okupatsioon.ee/en/memento-2005/76-l2005[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]LUHA, Eduard, Jaan[/FONT][FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif], s. 1901 Tartumaa, 6 kl., talunik, [/FONT][FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif]arr.[/FONT][FONT=Bookman Old Style, serif] 22.06.41 Tartu, Puiestee 69, erin. 27.01.43 §58-4, 58-13, 10a.; Kirovi obl. Vjatlag, vab. 17.08.43. Kaitseliit. Vaps. [7453-E][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](8) Haaslava district – photos[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://www.haaslava.ee/?page=7[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]How Corporal Eduard Luha earned The Cross of Liberty during the War of Independent? Let him told the story himself:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Magazin “Stories from War of Independence” (”[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Vabadussõja lood[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]”) No. 5 – published February 1937.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Young volunteer act of heroism; Alone against eight Bolsheviks and two machine guns. April 1919.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]2nd Infantry regiment, after heavy battles in Petseri area and when they reached to the border of Russia, got some resting time.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The regiment marching with a joyful mood to liberated city Võru. They are all happy because a break after battles is each soldier dream. Many of the soldiers can even go to vacation and visit home. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Meantime the Bolsheviks were planning their counter attack on the city of Võru, in order to get some of the Estonian forces into the battle pocket.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]At first Russians had success on their side and they gain some ground. Because of that, the Estonian Army command trying quickly to put together all available forces in the area to stop the enemy and including 2nd Infantry Regiment has to be ready for action again. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The “Good times” lasted only five days and during the Easter they find themselves again in the battles near Võru to push back the enemy.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Bolsheviks had secured themselves strongly in the village of Tõlva, which became a battleground on the last day in Easter, 23rd April 1919.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]From this attack the 8th Company volunteer, 18 years old young man Eduard Luha from Haaslava, who did something extraordinary in this battle but Lets let the hero tell his story himself:[/FONT]

“[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]April 1919, morning. There is a little bit of snow on the ground. Because of the frost during the night, the ground was still hard. We got our morning soup when it was still dark outside and because each soldier knew that we have to fight soon with the enemy who was larger in numbers we eat very well.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Enemy was around 2 kilometres from us in the village Tõlva. This village was surrounded by forest and open area between trees and houses were only 500 meters.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]5th and 8th Company started moving. There were only around 60 men because many of the cadre was still in their vacation when the new orders arrived. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]We took with us two heavy machine guns “Maxim” and four light machine guns, because we were missing artillery support in this area. Orders received to move close to the enemy as silent as possible but because heavy machine guns metal wheels on the frozen ground, enemy heard us probably a long time before we was able to see their positions. They were ready in the trenches and even sent out scouts before we reach to them.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]My 8th company start attacking from the right and 5th company from the left. My company was commanded by Ensign Välja, who wasa new officer in our unit because all the other’s were gone, wounded or killed because of previous encounters. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]5th company was commanded by Lieutenant Parts, who had been with the unit from the beginning. Commander of the operation was Capitan Matson, who was great man and an experienced soldier. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]When we reached the tree line next to the village, we were able to see the enemy infront of the village in the trenches waiting for us.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Their scouts ran back to their position and we open fire on them. Some of them fell down. Meantime the Bolsheviks opened with well prepared heavy fire from the machine guns. They had around 5-6 machine guns. We had 60 men against around 400 of them, so the balance wasn’t good for us.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]When our machine guns started their work, then Russians shooting wasn’t so strong anymore but still was straight at us and the branches on the trees around us were sliced as if with the axes.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]At least their line of sight was a little bit high and this gives us opportunity to crawl to the top of tree line. From there we had good positions to start shooting back at them from behind the trees.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Meantime two of our machine guns broke down. At this time enemy focused their fire against our 8th company, I platoon, who had orders to keep enemy down from far right. I platoon, instead of attacking started retreating. There was one coward who gave a bad example when he run back from the battle.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I knew our right wing was moved back but some how I was so sure that we will win this battle. I just refused to believe that our regiment companies lost a battle against Russians near Võru.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The situation worsened because our ammunition supply ran low. At least extra supplies reached to us in time and it helped with the morale.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Then I thought that the enemy was is in the trenches, well protected and if we continue to just shooting at each other this will not lead us to any success. Our company leader was missing at this time and also 2nd officer was wounded, so we didn’t have any leaders around then.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I made quick decision and suggest to the soldiers next to me; Johannes Martinson, Georg Bauman, Roman Vold, Johannes Keerus and Karl Meos to run out from the tree line, to the small hill infront of us. They accepted this plan. I knew they are our IV platoon bravest men.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]We load our weapons with five bullets and I stood up, shouting “forward!” and I start running. When I reached to the hill, I looked back and I saw that I am alone. Others, who were positioned right from me, were forced down by enemy machine gun fire. I knew they wanted to follow me but because of the fire they weren’t able to.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I understood I can’t run back because of the heavy fire and also my mates where in hard situation – bullets hit the ground very close to them now.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I shout to them to pull more back to the forest, other wise the Russians will make all of us “cold”.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I crawl top to the hill and I was surprised what I saw so close in front of me – just around 50 meters, behind the hill in the ditch there was a group of Bolsheviks with two “Maxim” heavy machine guns what were pointed directly to my location.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]One of the enemy, sawing me, shouted to others ”Smatri, belõi, tsort.” (Look, “white” devil!”). One of them jumped behind the machine gun and I understood he will start shooting me any second.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I fired quickly one bullet to this soldier’s direction and as a lightning, I press myself against the ground, pushing face to the mud (the sun had melted the icy ground already by this time). A few second later it feels like a hearth exploding around me when bullets fly over my head and hit the ground in front of me. At least I was behind the hill enough, so the bullets didn’t reached to me. I moved just a little bit more back to be sure.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]And now started my fight between eight Bolsheviks who had two machine guns and I had only one gun with a small amount of ammunition. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The others weren’t able to help me, because they were far back in the forest line and they can’t see the enemy position at all in front of me because of the hill.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I got up a few times to my knees and shoot the enemy, each time I get back a of shower of bullets from the machine gun. But luck is with me and each time I am able to get down before the return fire.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I try to think again and I was sure that I can’t stay here a long time because I am almost out of ammunition and I can’t run back to the forest as well because of the heavy fire on the field, so I decide to try to make something supportive here, before our troops have to pulled back.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I move around the edge of hill, so I can move closer to the machine gun without the Russians being able to shoot at me. I load my rifle with the last five bullets and when I stood up, I was only 30 meters from the enemy machine gun. One of the enemy machine guns has been pointed to our 5th company and second one to the place where I was before. The Russians see me immediately and start shouting, the man behind the machine gun moves the gun barrel in my direction. I want to shoot at him; I aim and shoot and I can see he collapses in the ditch. I can see how the next men jumps behind the gun.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I must say that I was very surprised, why didn’t they try to shoot me from their rifles?. I change the position again and get up quickly, aim and shoot but I miss the man. At least I hit the machine gun, so it is not working anymore. The second bullet hit the next gunner. Now I can see that the Bolsheviks wanted to escape with the machine guns. I know we need these machine guns what ever it takes![/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Because I have only two bullets left, I must be very careful. Also the enemy is hiding in the ditch now and I can’t shoot them. But soon they jump out and start running to their other position in the direction of the village, pulling machine guns with them. I start running as well. They have six men left.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]One of them takes out sword and start running against me. I aim him to the chest and shoot him down. Then one of them tries to shoot me again from machine gun. I hit him as well with my last bullet.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Now there are only four of them but I don’t have any ammunition left. When I start running in their direction they give up and leave the machine guns and start running as fast as they can to the village. I take a bullet from the machine gun bullet belt and I shoot one of them to the leg.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Because I am far from the others, I try to start pulling machine guns back to our position. It’s not the easiest of tasks at all because the sun is up and the ground is very muddy now.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]All of this took a few minutes. Meantime my comrades don’t rest as well. Ensign Välja was back and seeing my struggle, run top the hill as well, where I was before. Also Martinson, Baumann, Volt, Keerus and Meos followed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Bolsheviks, who were in the village wasn’t able to shoot me, because their escaping men were between us. Basically they were able just to look at what happens to their two machine guns in the positions in front of them.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]When I start climbing back from the hill, only then they was able to open fire. Bullets splash mud up to my face around me but didn’t do any harm.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]I was so thrilled with what I just did, I was able to save for us two so valuable “death machines”. [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Russians were in shock because of what just happened and they weren’t able to fight properly for a second. Our soldiers used this moment as an opportunity and ran quickly to the corner of their trenches and opened fire along side of it, scoring hits with almost every shot because the trench was full of the enemy.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The Russians finally lost their morale and started to run away. 5th company run out too and when we start shooting at them from their own machine guns, they escaped all in panic.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]All together we run to the village Tõlva from where we got another machine gun that the enemy had left behind and also we took some prisoners of war.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]For this act near Tõlva village on the 23rd April 1919, I got Cross of Liberty II Grade, 3 Class, recommended by Ensign Välja.”[/FONT]

Eduard Luha Home league White Cross, 3rd Class

1907934905e84b_o.jpg

and Eduard during the war of Independent

19055649cfd63d_o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭danpatjoe

What an incredible story! :eek:
    Thank you so much for posting these. Your collection and research is amazing, I wish EK's could be researched to this level!
    Again, great stuff! Thank you.

Regards - Dan

Great stuff Timo - well researched!

And a very sad tale too for the man on a personal level.

Thank you very much for your kind words guys.

Here is one of my Royal Dublin Fusiliers medals set, what small write-up I just finised (still more details to find out actually).

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]William Joseph Dodds (1899-xxxx)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Private[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]11th Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Royal Dublin Fusiliers 30413[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Army Service Corps M/332797[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]He was entitled to:[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Victory Medal (RASC/101. Roll 230 Page 23657)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]British War Medal (RASC/101. Roll 230 Page 23657)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Silver War Badge (RASC/4474)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]William was born in 1886 in Belfast to an Irish family. He married Alice Rose and they had two children William and Samuel. During this time he worked as a general laborer and Dodds’ family lived at 3 Dunlops Place, Cromac, Co.Antrim (7).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]When war broke out, William enlisted under the Derby scheme on the 5th December 1915 and he was called up next summer, when he started his service with the 11th (Reserve) Battalion of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers which was formed in Dublin in July 1916 (5/7).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]The battalion was absorbed with the 3rd (Reserve) Battalion in May 1918 which was located at Grimbsy as a part of Humber Garrison (4).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Private Dodds next transfer took place on the 4th October 1918 and he was transferred to the [/FONT][FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Army Service Corps Mechanical Transport unit (3/5). His new service number was M/332797.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]William was discharged from the service due to sickness (Kings Regulations 392/ XVI - No longer physically fit for war service.) on the 17th May 1919 and he was granted the Silver War Badge, number B318513 (6).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It is impossible to say when William served overseas and which theater of war. Medal roles do not show him serving with the other Royal Dublin Fusiliers battalion. However, his Victory Medal and British War medal pair are named to the Royal Dublin Fusiliers.[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Source:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](1) Royal Dublin Fusiliers – a forgotten regiment[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://www.dublin-fusiliers.com/battaliions/7[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]-batt/ORs-7th-bn/list-ORs-7th.html[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](2) British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://search.ancestry.co.uk[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](3) World War 1 medal abbreviations[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I_medal_abbreviations[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](4) The Long, Long Trail – The British Army of 1914-1918 – for family historians[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://www.1914-1918.net[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](5) Victoy Medal and British War Medal roll – R.A.S.C.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](6) Silver War Badge roll – R.A.S.C.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](7) Ireland Census 1911[/FONT]
    [FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie[/FONT]

I am planning to mount them actually for a display

19110619a4f173_o.jpg

19110625571ac2_l.jpg

19110621a2102e_l.jpg

Hi Gents,

Here is my today's write up of the brave soldier from Royal Dublin Fusiliers.

Thomas McKenna (1889 – 28.02.1917)
    Private
    1st/8th Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers

British War Medal - 23148 Pte T McKenna, Royal Dublin Fusiliers

Thomas was entitled:

Victory Medal (Roll B/101.B.9 Page 651)
    British War Medal (Roll B/101.B.9 Page 651)

Thomas was born to John and Catherine McKenna in 1889 on Kingscourt, Co. Cavan. His family were Agricultural Labourers and they were also Roman Catholics. Thomas had as well three younger brothers; Patrick, John and Michael (11).

When the Great War started, New Army battalions (often referred to as Kitchener’s Army) were formed, where man can sign up for three years or the duration of the war (whichever was the longer) (4).
    Thomas enlisted from Hamilton and was posted as a private to the Royal Dublin Fusiliers 8th Battalion, what was formed in September 1914 and was part of 48th Brigade in 16th (Irish) Division (6/9/10).
    Regarding his service number 23148, he enlisted around winter/spring 1915 (3).

They received basic training mainly in Buttevant and Ballyhooley, after which the battalion was moved to England in September 1915 to Blackdown near Aldershot in Surrey for the 16th (Irish) Divisions final training (1/4).

The 8th Battalion landed at the port of Le Havre on the 20th December 1915. However, looks it like Thomas entered France later on in 1916, as he wasn’t entitled for the 1914-1915 Star which was issued to the soldiers in the British Expeditionary Force who served in any theatre of the War on the 5th August 1914 to 31st December 1915 (2/12).
    Most likely he got his first battle experience while still with the 8th Battalion, who engaged in the horrific Battle of Hulluch 27th – 29th April 1916 (1/5/9).

After March 1916, Private Thomas McKenna was transferred to the 1st Battalion of the Royal Dublin Fusiliers who arrived to France from Egypt and was part of the 86th Brigade, 29th Division, which was concentrated in the area east of Pont Remy between 15th and 29th March (4).

But because both battalions took part of the Battle of Somme (1st July–18th November 1916), most likely Thomas eye witnessed some of the moments in the Royal Dublin Fusiliers hardest history at Somme (4/5):

First Day of the Somme on the 1st July 1st Battalion
    Capture of Ginchy on the 9th September 8th Battalion

Unfortunately his service records haven’t survived and also there aren’t any notes about his wounds in the Irish publications at this period, so it is hard to find out extra details about Thomas’ service.

At the end of February 1917 the 1st Battalion had rested in the Bronfay and Hardecourt camp for a few days.
    The War Diary states that on the 28th February 1917, Battalion attacked east of Sailly-Sailisel at 5:25 a “Potsdam trench” which they took in with the help of there own artillery fire support. The next objective was “Weimar” and “Palz trench” where they start reaching but their own artillery barrage and enemy machine gun fire caused casualties. Also they found “Weimar trench” full of water. Commanded by Captain Bagley men reached front of the wires of “Palz trench” but Germans machine gun fire caused many casualties. Also the fusiliers ran out of grenades at this time and they was forced to pull back to the “Potsdam trench”.

On this day Private Thomas McKenna met his ultimate faith and was killed in action. Hid body was never found or he is buried as a one of many unknown soldiers (6/7/8).
    Thomas is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, reference Pier and Face 16 C.

There is all together 377 Royal Dublin Fusiliers buried/commemorated in this memorial (1). Also his name is engraved in the War Memorial in the Bridge Street, Banbridge, Co. Down (8).

Source:

(1) Royal Dublin Fusiliers – a forgotten regiment
    http://www.dublin-fusiliers.com/

(2) British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920
    http://search.ancestry.co.uk

(3) Army Service Numbers 1881-1918
    http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/

(4) The Long, Long Trail – The British Army of 1914-1918 – for family historians
    http://www.1914-1918.net

(5) Royal Dublin Fusiliers – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Dublin_Fusiliers

(6) UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919
    http://search.ancestry.co.uk

(7) Commonwealth War Graves Commission
    www.cwgc.org

(8) Irish War Memorials
    http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie

(9) Ireland Unknown Soldiers, The 16th (Irish) Division in the Great War
    by Terence Denman

(10) 16th (Irish) Division – Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16th_(Irish)_Division

(11) National Archives: Census of Ireland 1901/1911
    http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie

(12) British Campaign Medals, 1914-2005 (Shire Library)
    by Peter Duckers

1st RDF location on 1917 January (Courtesy of TNA Trench Map CD from N and M Press also thank you to Roger H)

191437994e3ac9_o.jpg

Sctech from 1st Bn. War Diary during 28th Feb. attack (thank you to the "Royal Dublin Fusiliers – a forgotten regiment site"!)

1914080710e2c1_l.jpg

McKenna's BWM

19143745d0a7c5_l.jpg

191437474d91d5_l.jpg

Thiepval Memorial (Courtesy of TWGPP)

191408054b600e_l.jpg

19140809028d4c_l.jpg

Few ribbon bars for a change...

Nothing extraordinary just a brave officer from the Great War

- Military Cross
    - British War Medal
    - Victory Medal

1915177597f62d_l.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Great Britain old ribbon bar with the seven ribbons[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- China War 1900[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- Africa General Service Medal, 1902-1956[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- 1914-15 Star[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- British War Medal[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- Victory Medal[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- India General Service Medal, 1908-1935[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- General Service Medal, 1918-1962[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This man surely have been around and saw some hard times. It is pity that these great big sets are not researchable.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This bar is made on the heavy metal frame and I haven't seen so heavy set before. It's weight (31.1 g) almost same as British War Medal! Looks like this one is made by top maker who was available at this time.[/FONT]

191517732698a8_l.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Hungarian ribbon bars, communist era[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]First set belonged to the soldier or officer in the land forces 1949-1989.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- Restoration of the Workers and Peasants Rule 1956 (rare)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- three of either the Medal of Merit for Socialist Labor or Distinguished Service Medal (both have the same ribbon)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This one is probably officer's set[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- Order of Merit of the Hungarian Peoples Republic (class unspecified)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- Defense of the Socialist Homeland, 3rd Class[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]- 10 Years Service to the Homeland[/FONT]

19151777177a30_o.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Greece ribbon bar[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]1. Order of George I, Commander[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]2. Order of the Phoenix with the swrods[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]3. Order of Saint Maurize and Saint Lazarus (Italy)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Probably Colonel level officer. Meantime I don't understand how come there isn't any campaign awards, etc or the last ribbon isn't Italian at all and in this case it is just a first row?[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Also how come Order of George I is commander's grade and Phoenix isn't? Can it be the case that the Phoenix was awarded after 1926 when the owner held junior rank and after Goerge I order was restored 1935, this officer held senior rank and was awarded Order of George I commander's class?[/FONT]

19151771946a9f_l.jpg

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]John Kelly (1900 – 22.08.1918)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Private, 20815[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]2nd Battalion, Royal Dublin Fusiliers[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]7th (SIH) Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]John Kelly’s full entitlement:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Victory Medal (Roll A/131 B7 Page 1127)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]British War Medal (Roll A/131 B7 Page 1127)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]John was born in 1900, a third child of Hugh and Elizabeth Kelly in Wolstanton,[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Burslem, Staffs. They lived nearby in 6 Grant Street, Cobridge, Stoke-on-Trent (4/5/7).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]When the Great War stared, the Royal Dublin Fusiliers formed new service battalions which continued with the same service number series that was in use before the war. Due to this, it is possible to confirm that John enlisted in May 1915 at the Hanley Recruiting depot or via a recruiting officer. When he started his service with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers as a Private his service number was 20815 (1/2). He must have been only 16 years old at this time.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]After his initial training in 1916, Private John Kelly was posted to the 2nd Battalion which was part of the 48th Brigade, 16th (Irish) Division from15th November 1916 (1/3/8).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]It is impossible to say which battles John served in and when his next transfer took place but as his Medal Index Card and Victory medal/British War Medal role states, he was posted to the 7th (South Irish Horse) Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment and his new regimental number was 26476 (1).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]However, as 7th (SIH) Battalion War Diary from 1918 states, that they received reinforcements after their horrific casualties in March when the battalion was caught in the maelstrom of the German Kaiserschlacht (Kaiser's Battle) offensive. Extra men from Royal Dublin Fusiliers and Royal Munster Fusiliers arrived on the 1st May and 26th June and they were taken into the Battalion in Widdebroucq area, near Aire during July. Most likely Private Kelly was one of these reinforcements (9).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]At the end of July the Battalion’s strength was 31 officers and 830 other ranks and ready for action. At this time they were part of the [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]49th Brigade, 16th (Irish) Division (6).[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] On the 7th August they were moved into the front line.[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Looks like then luck turned bad for John. On the 19th and 20th August the Battalion War Diary indicates 2 wounded and at the Boeschepe area and on the 23rd August 4 men killed and 3 wounded (9).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Private John Kelly most likely was one of these wounded and he was transported to the 62nd (1/2nd London) Clearing Station where he died of wounds on the 22nd August 1918. He was only 18 years old (4/5).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]He is buried Arneke British Cemetery in France, Grave Reference III.E.11 next to other 568 identified casualties (5).[/FONT]

[FONT=Tahoma, sans-serif]Source:[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](1) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](2) Army Service Numbers 1881-1918[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.com/[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](3) The Long, Long Trail – The British Army of 1914-1918 – for family historians[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://www.1914-1918.net[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](4) [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](5) Commonwealth War Graves Commission[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]www.cwgc.org[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](6) Ireland Unknown Soldiers, The 16th (Irish) Division in the Great War[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]by Terence Denman[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](7) England Census 1901[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](8) British Campaign Medals, 1914-2005 (Shire Library)[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]by Peter Duckers[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif](9) War diaries for 7th South Irish Horse Battalion, Royal Irish Regiment[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]http://www.southirishhorse.com/documents/war_diaries_table.htm[/FONT]

1915177940f319_l.jpg

191517814465c3_l.jpg

19148598207b3e_o.jpg

1914859679985d_l.jpg

• Advertisement

Back to Finland (where was few days ago first time minus degrees in Lapland - summer is over;))

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Order of the White Rose of Finland Medal (Suomen Valkoisen Ruusun Ritarikunta)[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]This award was established by Gustaf Mannerheim, when he was regent of Finland, on the 28th January 1919 and regulations were confirmed on the 16th May 1919. It became one of three official orders in Finland, along with the Order of the Cross of Liberty and Order of the Lion of Finland. [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Order classes and medal were designed by Akseli Gallen-Kallela (1865-1931).[/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Award can be granted for military and civil merit for Finland.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]On the obverse there is a cross[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif] pattée with the Finnish lions between the arms and a central Finnish Rose. On the reverse there is an oak branch with the raised sword and a rayed rising sun beyond with the text “Isänmaan Hyväksi” (For good of the Fatherland).[/FONT]

19194595075323_o.jpg

Advertisement