Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Medical Card Dental Coverage

124»

Comments

• This is not medical card related but PRSI. I went for an examination the other day on my once yearly prsi. They done and xray which cost me 50 euro. I have since been told that the xray should have been included on prsi. I have queried this with the dentist and they said it wasn't an xray I got rather an opg I think they said. A whole mouth scan. Are they fobbing me off? I placed my mouth on the rest and the scanner went around my head. Is this an xray or a more advanced test which would incur payment?

• An OPG is not included in the examination fee for the PRSI scheme. Small inside the mouth xrays are included - otherwise known as bitewings.

• Bosley1421 wrote: »
    Would anyone have any experience of approval cases where a medication for chronic condition had a side effect of dry mouth etc. making cavities and poor gum health more likely?
    I actually can't believe how much a year on meds has changed my teeth and mouth. The medical card was approved recently and is connected to my health condition, but this is not on any approved list. I have a check up and clean booked, any advice on etiquette in asking dentist about extra treatment on card is appreciated.

I'd say just straight up tell the dentist that you can't afford whatevr treatment they recommend and ask how you go about applying to the HSE to get it covered.

Good luck!

I haven't heard of anyone getting dental treatment being approved with a medical card. There was a piece on RTE drivetime last week on this issue - the two dental people they had on more or less said that the HSE aren't approving treatment.

• Thank you! They were actually really complimentary about my teeth and how I'm managing so treatment is more affordable than I thought it would be. It's not covered by HSE but I had it built up in my head that I'd need x fillings, extractions, etc. Not the case and I'm thrilled!

• Hi folks,

Does a medical card cover surgical extractions, or just "regular" ones?

• Advertisement

• Dair76 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Does a medical card cover surgical extractions, or just "regular" ones?

Afaik it covers as many teeth pulled as you want. Wisdom teeth I'm not sure. I thinkmit requires a referral to the dental hospital... which is in Dublin (I got a referral once, then missed the appt).

It all has to be pre-approved by the HSE it seems. Which is sh*tty

• If I have root canal done on front tooth under medical card, would a filling be included or would I have to pay for that?

• included

• Does anyone know what additional dental treatment is covered by medical card if you have an auto immune disease which comes under the the HSE list?

• Guys is there anywhere that I can get a list of Dentist that will take the medical card in Dublin

• Advertisement

• Just to clarify on post above:

The examination is 1/year (i.e 1 today 28/03/11, next 1 on 28/03/12
    The 2 fillings are 2/calendar year (i.e between 01/01/11 - 31/12/11)
    also as well as extractions prescriptions are covered and any treatment needed to stop bleeding post extraction!

don't know if this helps :)

I had a tooth out yesterday. I used Yarrow to stop the bleeding. Worked a treat. It grows in my front garden. Cost me a grand total of €0. Everyone should educate themselves on the wonders of Yarrow (Warriors Herb)

• I had a tooth out yesterday. I used Yarrow to stop the bleeding. Worked a treat. It grows in my front garden. Cost me a grand total of €0. Everyone should educate themselves on the wonders of Yarrow (Warriors Herb)

Unless your anticoagulated by medication or illness your own clotting cascade system will stop the bleeding,

• Ace2007 wrote: »
    Guys is there anywhere that I can get a list of Dentist that will take the medical card in Dublin

http://www.welfare.ie/en/Pages/dentists.aspx

• I am having issues with my current dentist and am considering moving because if it. I've been having a constant dull pain in one of my front incisors for over the past few months. I asked him if he could make a request for a root canal treatment under my medical card. He did and it was approved. However, after my last visit he is now refusing to do the root canal treatment as he believes it is unnecessary as the tooth is still alive,and said root treatment will darken the tooth. The only treatment he offered was NSAIDS which dont help at all and I am still in pain. I should probably mention that all of this was told to me by the secretary I'm not sure how much longer I can put up with the discomfort.
    If I switch to a different dentist will a separate request need to be made?

• Resurrecting this.

I've just been to the dentist for a filling, and need 5 more. I'm temporarily out of work and have a medical card.

The filling is white rather than metal, as recommended by the dentist, but is not covered by medical card, and each filling costs €150.

Does this price seem correct, and is there anything I should look into to reduce the cost?

I will also need a cleaning, is this covered by medical card?

TIA.

• igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Resurrecting this.

I've just been to the dentist for a filling, and need 5 more. I'm temporarily out of work and have a medical card.

The filling is white rather than metal, as recommended by the dentist, but is not covered by medical card, and each filling costs €150.

Does this price seem correct, and is there anything I should look into to reduce the cost?

I will also need a cleaning, is this covered by medical card?

TIA.

Don’t have a MC so can’t answer if it’s covered or not but a cleaning by my dentist in Thurles is €60 and filling metal is €80-100 and white is +€10 so yes you’re paying at least €40 more than if you came to Thurles to get it done.

Advertisement