Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT rager very angry face >:(

Options
  • 15-02-2011 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Is it fair that i failed my NCT today becouse of a broken front bumper ? it happened when i hit a kerb on black ice on the road , and becouse of it there is a crack in in it and small amount of rust found on the left side of my car ?
    Emission is very small its only 0,.5% vs 0,30% (allowed) every main NCT item passed with no problem except bodywork (bumper) IM SOO IN RAGE RIGTH NOW
    Ennis ,Co.clare NCT test centre

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Get it tided up, not only will you slash a child if you hit one you'll also poison them with the rust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,412 ✭✭✭andyseadog

they aren't too fussy about rust/ bodywork, as long as the rust isint affecting the structural integrity and the bodywork damage and/ or rust doesnt have sharp edges.

have you pictures of the damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Yup, it happens. I spent yesterday and today repairing the front bumper of an e39 530d which was split into several pieces and failed the NCT because of it. Probably no harm too, as it can slice skin wide open if it glances against a kids hand/leg. I've reefed myself on several down through the years, not pleasant!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If it's the same tester I've experienced you're lucky that's all!

Buy a bottle of Nct pre test in the any motor factors, and get someone to fix the bumper crudely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Anything with a sharp edge can be deemed a failure I was told. I had a fog light on the bottom of my back bumper on a Mitsubishi Colt which had a sliver of plastic missing and was failed on it. Visual retest though so not the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fandbmanager

I brought my car to that same test centre about 2 years ago and they failed me on a back seatbelt (the middle one). They wouldnt let me fix it across the road in the mechanics as they said it would need to be re-tested. I was obviously fairly annoyed at this but had to leave with my tail between my legs. I got the call for the re-test and had to pay the full 49euro again,I went up to the person at the till and handed him a 50euro note and got handed back 51euros in change!! I said NOTHING! I am a ver honest person by nature but I think it was definately Karma at work...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I brought my car to that same test centre about 2 years ago and they failed me on a back seatbelt (the middle one). They wouldnt let me fix it across the road in the mechanics as they said it would need to be re-tested. I was obviously fairly annoyed at this but had to leave with my tail between my legs. I got the call for the re-test and had to pay the full 49euro again,I went up to the person at the till and handed him a 50euro note and got handed back 51euros in change!! I said NOTHING! I am a ver honest person by nature but I think it was definately Karma at work...
    Isn't a seatbelt issue a visual retest, ie free? And doesn't a request requiring use of a test lane cost €28ish?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Peavy

There is no sharp edges on the bumper its just a crack ! the rust i understand but i mean the problem was he was looking for problems my car stayed there for the exact 30 mins of the test i mean they managed to check 4 while they were checking mine and i was the last to leave the place . I dont aproove with the results i know i can complain about it. But that is still a roadworthy car since everything else was perfect and new in it. I still think it shoudve passed and i got an unfair test ;/. Im off again wasting my money on the car i wanna sell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fandbmanager

Anan1 wrote: »
    Isn't a seatbelt issue a visual retest, ie free? And doesn't a request requiring use of a test lane cost €28ish?

No I couldnt fix the seat belt therefore I had to get a re-test

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Peavy wrote: »
    There is no sharp edges on the bumper its just a crack ! the rust i understand but i mean the problem was he was looking for problems my car stayed there for the exact 30 mins of the test i mean they managed to check 4 while they were checking mine and i was the last to leave the place . I dont aproove with the results i know i can complain about it. But that is still a roadworthy car since everything else was perfect and new in it. I still think it shoudve passed and i got an unfair test ;/. Im off again wasting my money on the car i wanna sell.

If its only a crack, some tape could be used to pass the test- Ive seen it used. Its no big deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A vsual retest would have sufficed, no? The only reason I can think of why you'd have had to pay the full fee is if you didn't come back within the 28 days?

Even if you have a top notch condition car , they will still try and find some faults. I have notthing against my break , suspension , engine , emission being tested for my own safety but a cracked bumper does not mean a car is isnt road worthy its just a pile of bull to get money of you and especially on recessionary times or if your car has a little bodywork done than you must be a boyracer. I think its profiling and its just evil. Some people might think otherwise but its just a matter of opinion realy ;/ well. And now that i have a re-test does that mean everything will be checked again or only the parts that failed and if so does it mean i can put my older tires even tho the front ones are less than 1.6mm depth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Pic pls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Can you show us a pic of the damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

Sorry, but your little story simply isn't true. Seatbelt is a free visual Re-test, your car must have failed on other stuff as well.

does it mean i can put my older tires even tho the front ones are less than 1.6mm depth ?

NCT or no NCT, if your tyres are below the legal limit then of course you can't put them back on.

That's a stupid question, if you don't mind me saying so.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

but a cracked bumper does not mean a car is isnt road worthy its just a pile of bull to get money of you and especially on recessionary times or if your car has a little bodywork done than you must be a boyracer. I think its profiling and its just evil

We're talking about cracked bumpers, not aftermarket kits. I'm not sure how that translate into evil profiling.

And I bet that many (if not the majority) of failures are free re-tests, which is hardly a money spinner for them.
    does it mean i can put my older tires even tho the front ones are less than 1.6mm depth ?

Seriously?

Now you din't undertood what i meant with the tire part
    My tires are good the old ones they are around 1.5mm in depth and they have better grip than new ones which came off the vw passat and where only put on for the NCT . the VW passat tires are a bit too big for the golf mk3 driving with them is a plain misery and looks like a tractor

I wasnt talking about aftermarket kits i had in mind tinted windows and a different exhaust sorry for misdirecting you ill upload a crack of a bumper on monday-tuesday the cars currently in the grage and i have no access to it ;/

Now you din't undertood what i meant with the tire part
    My tires are good the old ones they are around 1.5mm in depth

If they're below the legal limit, you can't use them.

End of discussion, full stop.

If 1.5mm tires are better than brand new tyres, then you probably need to be buying better tyres.

• Advertisement

well what can i say they are bridgestone tyres . The VW passat tyres where bought from a scrapyard :D and they are 1.8mm depth but it feels there is less grip becouse they have a big profile old ones have a small profile . I dunno its not like 1.5mm can loose much grip can they ?

Just put some decent tires on your car, and find some other way to save cash.
    I dunno its not like 1.5mm can loose much grip can they ?

That's exactly the point - they've already lost most of their stopping power at this stage. I wouldn't drive on 1.8mm tires (let alone cheap scrapyard tyres), even if they're still just about legal.

well suppose your right ;/ its just tyres are pretty expensive ;/ and im not willing to buy chunky huge tires for 15" rims ;/I feel no comfort on with big tires on hard suspension ;D and since my power steering for a 94 golf isnt that strong its hard to steer with them so im not gonna drive it until my re-test just plain annoying once i got so annoyed i left my car in my work and walked 2km's home ;/

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭iphone4g

Jesus Peavy,reading your posts would depress a nation!Cheer up it's just an NCT fail not a serious medical condition or something worse!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,140 ✭✭✭✭Esel

well what can i say they are bridgestone tyres . The VW passat tyres where bought from a scrapyard :D and they are 1.8mm depth but it feels there is less grip becouse they have a big profile old ones have a small profile . I dunno its not like 1.5mm can loose much grip can they ?
    Are you checking the tread depth with a micrometer? :confused:

I second the bullsh!t call on the seatbelt story from fandbmanager, btw.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

If not a secret, what kind of car was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

-Chris- wrote: »

Jebus. Between reading the OP's intended behaviour on our roads on that thread, 1.5mm tires on this one - let alone the BDSM steering wheel and gear lever - I'm cringing.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭taintabird

Anan1 wrote: »

That's correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭taintabird

It should still only cost €28 for the retest unless of course you went over the 21 day limit in which case it is a full test again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement