Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A new fighter has entered the ring!

Options
  • 15-02-2011 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Been a lurker here for a wee bit over the past few weeks. Wasn't aware there was an active SF community in Ireland given that we have no arcade scene at all. Recently learned that you guys meet up once or twice a week in the XGC in Dublin, and am fairly keen to join in on one of the upcoming sessions. First, a little about myself!

I'm a casual SF4 PC player, meaning since Capcom refuse to release SSF4 on my platform of choice, I'm out of touch with the recent updated version of the game on consoles. I've been meaning to pick up a PS3 and a copy of SSF4, but money is a wee bit tight the past year so that hasn't materialized yet. I play a couple of characters, Chun-Li, Bison and Ryu and am fairly inconsistent with them all, meaning I lose most of my matches unless my opponent is just as bad as me :P

Since I live just outside Dublin, I'm fairly local to the weekly meetups you guys have been organising, so I'd like to pop in for a few casual games next time there's a session going. Thanks for your interest in the thread, hoping to meet up and exchange fireballs with some of you! Feel free to add me if you play on PC, my GFWL id is same as my name on here.

regards,

AeoNGriM

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I have the PC version installed.

Whats you GFWL tag?

Anyone come to the meet ups. There good fun. What do you use when your playing pad/stick/keyboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

@RopeDrink I've no probs playing vs Balrog, I have equal trouble with every character! Will accept your add when I get home from college today, hope to see you on for a few games. Mucho respecto for being a keyboardie, couldn't do it myself, I've tried and I fail. Hard!

@Azza GFWL id is AeoNGriM, think I may have played you before, the name sounds familiar, doubt it ended well for me! I'm using an Xbox MadCatz TE stick. Like RopeDrink I've also been playing since SF4 launched on PC almost two years ago, so I know a fair bit about the game ie frame data, tick throws, option selects etc. My problem is I just don't have any natural ability or the time/patience needed to practice and develop a character to any reasonable degree. Guess I'm more of a casual player.

Thanks for the welcome and the replies, hopefully we can sort a few online games over the next few days and I'll get to attend one of the offline casual events :)

regards,

AeoNGriM

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Sent a friends request to you AeoN, Stavanger1 is my online name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Gowan the azza

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I'll be in xgc for casuals tomorrow I think if you want to come along Aeon, usually a few of us there.

I'd say there'll be quite a few in on Saturday to play MVC3 as well.

• Advertisement

Azza wrote: »

Nice one fella, will accept when I get home :)
    Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I'll be in xgc for casuals tomorrow I think if you want to come along Aeon, usually a few of us there.

I'd say there'll be quite a few in on Saturday to play MVC3 as well.

Sounds good, Dreddybajs, should be able to pop in after college tomorrow to say hi and have a session. Really need to get myself a PS3 so I can keep up with all the fighting games not being released on PC. MVC3 looks pretty sweet alright, though I've ever played any of the previous iterations in the series.

regards,

AeoNGriM

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Azza wrote: »

I am impressed at the lengths you go to to keep up the time honoured tradition. :)

There's a much bigger following on 360 than PS3 for fighting games (to the extent that a few of the Irish ps3 players have bought 360s), and considering you have a 360 stick as well, I'd go with 360!

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    There's a much bigger following on 360 than PS3 for fighting games (to the extent that a few of the Irish ps3 players have bought 360s), and considering you have a 360 stick as well, I'd go with 360!

That's true, but I'd have to fork out for XBL also, and that just sticks in my craw. I should be able to pick up a PS3 stick on the cheap if I look hard enough, or have a go at dual-modding my existing Xbox one if needed. Maybe if I win the Euromillions this week I can afford to get both!

Fair enough dude, I'm not a big fan of paying for XBL either, but be forewarned that if you're into fighting games they're a fair bit better on 360.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dual-modding is cheaper than a new stick.

Xbox sticks are also a bit cheaper to mod than PS3 ones.
    Dreddybajs wrote:
    but be forewarned that if you're into fighting games they're a fair bit better on 360.
    >360 not region free
    >waiting forever for new Japanese fighters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

AeoNGriM wrote: »
    That's true, but I'd have to fork out for XBL also, and that just sticks in my craw. I should be able to pick up a PS3 stick on the cheap if I look hard enough, or have a go at dual-modding my existing Xbox one if needed. Maybe if I win the Euromillions this week I can afford to get both!

I'd have to agree with Dred on this one. All/Most tournaments are on xbox and whilst there are some very good players on PSN, everyone (99%) is on XBL.

I'm pretty sure that 360 + xbl subscription < PS3. Am I wrong? I really haven't checked recently.

Especially since you'd pick up an xbox second hand cheap enough

http://www.adverts.ie/xbox/microsoft-xbox-360/445580

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

PSN isn't as bad as people make out.

I still go online every now and then on PSN for the craic and I still fight some good players. When you consider Hound, Mickles and Rightbackbill were/are ps3 exclusive players...

XBL is better but costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

im sure you can afford the game for €15 euros?
    http://www.adverts.ie/playstation/super-street-fighter-1v-ps3/443555

Placebo wrote: »
    im sure you can afford the game for €15 euros?
    http://www.adverts.ie/playstation/super-street-fighter-1v-ps3/443555

are you gonna buy him the console and a stick?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

OOps i misread that he had a ps3

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

PSN isn't as bad as people make out.

XBL is better but costs.

Agreed, but the best way you could sum up PSN is "you get what you pay for". Virtually nobody on PSN has a headset because you don't get one with the console, and it doesnt support party chat yet either. Many a night Ive gone into a lobby with a group of friends, and we are all able to talk about street fighter while watching the players in front of us in the lobby play their games, be they epic or epic fail. You dont get this on PSN.

Comapring PSN to live is a bit like comparing kaillera to GGPO, kaillera gets the job done and is fine under ideal circumstances (playing people with good connection who live near you), but more often then not circumstances are not ideal.

I have both machines and played on PSN totally up untill around october, only way I would go back is to play someone who wasnt on live. I hate giving Microsoft so much as a penny but even with the recent price hike, live costs €50 a year, thats less then €1 a week.

2 years of Halo 2 has more-or-less put me off voice chat forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

XBL has some better features and more active Irish players, but the game plays the same on both platforms.

The PS3 is a better media centre, has a blu-ray player, free online play, and free charging of controllers.

Both consoles are good, I personally prefer the PS3.

I'd check which exclusives you prefer before buying either console.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

The PS3 is a better media centre

Is it?

I thought they were pretty much identical in this regard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Is it?

I thought they were pretty much identical in this regard.

I have both, and the PS3 pisses all over the xbox in terms of media and av functionality and connectivity to other devices.

Pity it sits there collecting dust or only plays the odd bluray.

AFAIK, they never even addressed the main issues of its DVD Playback failures.
    ExtremeTech article from Jan'07.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭erinsoup

I still play GFWL vanilla on occasion. Hit me up on IRC if you want a few matches

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    AFAIK, they never even addressed the main issues of its DVD Playback failures.
    ExtremeTech article from Jan'07.

Wow, okay I guess that answers my question. Way more DVD tech speak there than I was prepared for.

The only reason I said that I thought they were similar is because the program I use to stream media on the 360 is called "PS3 media server", hence my "pretty much identical" comment.

I don't have a PS3 for comparison, but I do think the 360's "Resume" feature is really cool, both for DVDs and steamed media.

That's pretty much all I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Wow, okay I guess that answers my question. Way more DVD tech speak there than I was prepared for.

The only reason I said that I thought they were similar is because the program I use to stream media on the 360 is called "PS3 media server", hence my "pretty much identical" comment.

I don't have a PS3 for comparison, but I do think the 360's "Resume" feature is really cool, both for DVDs and steamed media.

That's pretty much all I know.

PS3 media server is way better on ps3. You ony get a cut down version on 360. I really prefer the XMB for browsing media too.

If you are getting a console to play sf4, get a 360. PSN is ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

2nd hand xboxes can be got for pittance. SSFIV is uber cheap on either console. You already have a stick.

Xbox live for SSFIV, is much more active.

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. My bruv already has a PS3, but trouble is it's locked away in his room. We have an older model PS3 in the front room aswell (which has been deactivated and cannot go online) which the aul lad uses now and again for FPS games and BluRay. Was looking to replace the deactivated one with one I can use online for fighting games, so that's why I was leaning towards a brand new PS3 instead of an XBox, due to us swapping games and movies between the 3 of us.

Get a PS3 then.

Because no matter what, you'll be best served by coming to a meet-up & playing lagless* offline matches ;)

*may or may not be true for the 360s on Walker TVs

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Get a PS3 then.

Because no matter what, you'll be best served by coming to a meet-up & playing lagless* offline matches ;)

*may or may not be true for the 360s on Walker TVs

Very true, I learned a fair bit in the few hours I spent with some of the chaps in XGC today. Dreddybajs and Dark Onion were very helpful and accomodating in explaining things. Came away with a new appreciation of the game and some ideas for improving my play.

I think I'll buy Super 4 for PS3 along with a new stick and just practice offline to learn whats changed between Vanilla and Super, until I'm comfortable enough in my own execution to jump online for some games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

AeoNGriM wrote: »
    Very true, I learned a fair bit in the few hours I spent with some of the chaps in XGC today. Dreddybajs and Dark Onion were very helpful and accomodating in explaining things. Came away with a new appreciation of the game and some ideas for improving my play.

I think I'll buy Super 4 for PS3 along with a new stick and just practice offline to learn whats changed between Vanilla and Super, until I'm comfortable enough in my own execution to jump online for some games.

No Xbox! :p

Peer pressure Peer pressure Peer pressure Peer pressure Peer pressure Peer pressure

Advertisement