Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triple H Named The Most Overrated Wrestler Of All-time

Options
  • 14-02-2011 4:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

Source: Rajah.com

UGO.com
    has posted a list counting down the top 25 most overrated wrestlers of all-time. The ranking is topped by 13-time world champion Triple H, who was named Most Overrated in the Wrestling Observer Newsletter awards on three consecutive occasions (2002-2004), and again in 2009.

Regarding the self-proclaimed "King of Kings", UGO.com wrote: "For too long, Triple H has received a free pass from internet wrestling fans, but we say, "No more!" Sure, he used to be great, but that was before he destroyed his body and moved on to destroying the careers of younger wrestlers. Folks these days like to say that "The King of Kings" makes people into stars, but wrestlers tend to either succeed despite the terrible, emasculating beatings he gives them or just disappear back into the midcard. What's worse is that he does it all with the same four boring, mechanical moves - a fact which goes strangely unnoticed by the world's Cena-bashers, who tend to love "The Game." If Triple H was as great as people say he is, the past 13 years of constant pushes shouldn't have just turned him into another Rock or "Stone Cold," it should have gotten him elected King of the Universe.

"And The Chaperone looks atrocious."

The complete ranking is as follows:
    25. Diesel
    24. Arn Anderson
    23. Alberto Del Rio
    22. Jerry Lynn
    21. Shelton Benjamin
    20. Verne Gagne
    19. Jeff Jarrett
    18. Sabu
    17. Finlay
    16. Christopher Daniels
    15. Mr. Anderson
    14. William Regal
    13. Indy Geeks (Mike Quackenbush pictured)
    12. Randy Orton
    11. Gorgeous George
    10. Scott Hall
    9. Dean Malenko
    8. Owen Hart
    7. Christian
    6. Curt Hennig
    5. Miss Elizabeth
    4. Jerry "The King" Lawler
    3. Giant Baba
    2. Hulk Hogan
    1. Triple H

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Gerard.C

Alberto Del Rio is more over rated, of all time, than Diesel? Wha?

And how is Mr. Perfect in the top 10?

Agreed with HHH though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

since when did HHH get a free ride from the IWC? okay its died down since he has been away but we had a HHH hate thread on here a while back

some odd choices in ther imo, but then again i guess thats why they are in there as in id say that Edge is overated and that Mr Perfect (no.6 on this list) was better than him but then again am I overating Hennig because of his death, afterall he didnt make main event during his career.

Not going to run down edge, I respect him, just never found myself as a fan of main event edge

• Registered Users Posts: 36,180 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

in 2000, HHH was pretty much untouchable.

in an era of Austin and Rock at their peak, he was the detested heel that was needed to make it all click...and he could put a great match together.

over the last 5 years, he's been for the most part stale as fúck, and he doesn't deserve the amount of reigns he has.

but for 2/3 years, he was utterly brilliant.

and for the majority of his career he has been very good-to-brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,180 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

oh, and any overrated list begins with Edge and ends in RVD IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,871 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

9. Dean Malenko
    8. Owen Hart
    7. Christian
    6. Curt Hennig
    5. Miss Elizabeth

WTF :mad: they shouldnt be on the list

Brock Lesnar should be though imo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

Deliberately contraversal list is contraversal. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    WTF :mad:

My Thoughts exactly.
    And Shelton?..... Maybe didn't get a big enough push to hit Main event(Apart from beating HHH that one time)

WTF :mad:

those 3 in particular imo seem to point to a list made by number crunchers, i.e because someone like Perfect/Malenko never won a world title/ drew x amount of cash for a fed etc it seems they must be overated by the IWC considering they are some of the biggest fan favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

A website like http://www.ugo.com/ does a list on overrated wrestlers?

I call bullsheet. William Regal and Finlay overrated? Come on ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

I would disagree with a lot of that list to be honest, namely Regal, Christian and Owen Hart, who if anything I would say are/were criminally underrated. Also hhh is not that overrated, he has great charisma and character, he just has "it". Totally agree with slick's post above, he was the perfect foil to Rock & Austin, and growing up, I liked them a lot more because of my hatred for HHH.

But theres no point in going into it(he says, after doing exactly that). I could compile a list right now, it doesn't make it any more or less valid than the one above. The list is just 25 rated wrestlers to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

WTF :mad: they shouldnt be on the list

Brock Lesnar should be though imo

Lol, I didn't even look at the name and I knew it was you liz. :P

Who the hell are UGO anyway? Isn't it just some entertainment news website? They're not even an iwc site!
    HHH over-rated? Maybe. But he was superhot during the attitude era and put on some astounding matches. And a lot of them were before he was in stephs pants. Should he be no.1? maybe.. But its hard to define as this list is terrible.
    I would like to hear how he came up with some of the other names, ms Elizabeth for example.

drayme wrote: »
    Deliberately contraversal list is contraversal. :eek:

hmm this post gives me an idea, someone else can run with this one if they are interested in it:

I considerd my American top 30 list to be a success on here, as I did the Irish top 25 (atleast until the delay with the top 6). So whats to stop us having ourt own non deliberatleyl controversial lists on boards. Maybe similar to the old superstar of the week threads we could have a bi-weekly boards.ie PW poll thread with titles such as most overated wrestler of all time. Then like with the SOTW threads id add them all to the hot links sticky together so we eventually have a lil collection of em.

A website like http://www.ugo.com/ does a list on overrated wrestlers?

I call bullsheet. William Regal and Finlay overrated? Come on ffs.

Direct link:
    http://www.ugo.com/sports/diesel

It is overrated by the internet APPARENTLY

hmm this post gives me an idea, someone else can run with this one if they are interested in it:

I considerd my American top 30 list to be a success on here, as I did the Irish top 25 (atleast until the delay with the top 6). So whats to stop us having ourt own non deliberatleyl controversial lists on boards. Maybe similar to the old superstar of the week threads we could have a bi-weekly boards.ie PW poll thread with titles such as most overated wrestler of all time. Then like with the SOTW threads id add them all to the hot links sticky together so we eventually have a lil collection of em.

Nah contrarian lists are a lot more fun:
    WKO 2009 list as the 2010 list isnt out yet:

100. Atsushi Aoki
    99. Minoru Suzuki
    98. Hirooki Goto
    97. Pequeño Damien 666
    96. Stuka, Jr.
    95. A.J. Styles
    94. Masashi Takeda
    93. The Miz
    92. Mascara Dorada
    91. Yoshi Tatsu
    90. Tomohiro Ishii
    89. El Hijo del Santo
    88. Fuerza Guerrera
    87. Capitan Muerte
    86. Flash Flanagan
    85. "Mr. Condor" Romano Garcia
    84. Manabu Hara / Suruga
    83. Ikuto Hidaka
    82. Toro Bill
    81. Desmond Wolfe
    80. La Sombra
    79. Ephesto
    78. Pequeño Pierroth
    77. Takashi Sasaki
    76. "Suicida" Mike Segura
    75. Munenori Sawa
    74. Cassandro
    73. "Marvellous" Mitch Ryder
    72. Skayde / Jorge Rivera
    71. Mike Knox
    70. Jon Moxley
    69. Averno
    68. Jerry Lawler
    67. "Superstar" Bill Dundee
    66. Claudio Castagnoli
    65. Matt Hardy
    64. Oficial AK-47
    63. Johnny Saint
    62. Oficial Fierro
    61. Yuko Miyamoto
    60. Genichiro Tenryu
    59. Avisman
    58. Bull Pain
    57. Takashi Sugiura
    56. Mitsuharu Misawa
    55. Dick Togo
    54. Felino
    53. The Great Sasuke
    52. Oficial 911
    51. Ricky Marvin
    50. Jeff Hardy
    49. Arkangel de la Muerte
    48. KENTA
    47. Trauma I
    46. Toshiaki Kawada
    45. Cerebro Negro
    44. Takeshi Ono
    43. Sami Callahan
    42. Chris Hero
    41. Shinsuke Nakamura
    40. Austin Aries
    39. Tamon Honda
    38. Necro Butcher
    37. Evan Bourne
    36. Mark Henry
    35. Todd Morton
    34. Randy Orton
    33. Mike Quakenbush
    32. Zatura
    31. Jun Akiyama
    30. Jack Swagger
    29. Virus
    28. Chris Jericho
    27. Yoshihiro Takayama
    26. The Undertaker
    25. Valiente
    24. Daisuke Ikeda
    23. John Cena
    22. Blue Panther
    21. Koji Kanemoto
    20. The Big Show
    19. Freelance
    18. Yujiro Yamamoto
    17. Solar I
    16. Trauma II
    15. Fujita "Jr." Hayato
    14. Goldust
    13. Katsumi Usuda
    12. Negro Casas
    11. Dr. Cerebro
    10. Yuki Ishikawa
    9. Bryan Danielson
    8. C.M. Punk
    7. Finlay
    6. Alexander Otsuka
    5. Black Terry
    4. William Regal
    3. Negro Navarro
    2. Christian
    1. Rey Mysterio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

People are really over rating that list.

It is complete pony to be fair. Then, lists are subjective. If we did an all time list here, Chris Masters would rate highly :p

But how anyone has decided that Mr Perfect, Regal and Finlay are over rated makes me wonder how, as these are among the 3 most under rated to ever work in Vince land.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Sounds like a plan. What's the idea, like just have a sotw poll/thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,648 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

gimmick wrote: »
    But how anyone has decided that Mr Perfect, Regal and Finlay are over rated makes me wonder how, as these are among the 3 most under rated to ever work in Vince land.

I never really watched a lot of Finlay before his final WWE days, but I couldn't agree with you more on Perfect and Regal, how they are "overrated" is beyond me, they were brilliant to watch, amazing in-ring competitors and Perfect was fantastic even in his commentary stage.

CMpunked wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan. What's the idea, like just have a sotw poll/thread?

well yeah, kinda like I outlined but as I said id probably want someone else to take the helm. Do it at most bi-weekly so people dont get too bored/annoyed of the concept and set a time limit for people to vote on thread or submit PMs like with my American top 30 (as a poll imo would mean at most a top 20 of pre-selected names). after the time limit is up collated the votes and maybe do a lil write up on the higher placed entrants and the more controversial entrants to the list i.e explain why Masters places so highly :pac:

actually after reading the above id say once a month as there is a lot in that but itd be cool to have an archived list of boards.ie top 30s, top 30 tag teams of all time, under/overated of all time, top 30 never to win a world title etc... think the draft has me thinking about stuff like this atm.

I never really watched a lot of Finlay before his final WWE days, but I couldn't agree with you more on Perfect and Regal, how they are "overrated" is beyond me, they were brilliant to watch, amazing in-ring competitors and Perfect was fantastic even in his commentary stage.

Mr. Perfect had a relatively short run as a top class worker. Name me a good match he had post 1993.

For Regal's rep how many good or great matches has he had in the past ten years? The matches with Benoit on Velocity and Smackdown but thats about it. His match with Bryan on Raw the other month was vastly over praised all because he was worked in a different style and just because of that people overlooked how sloppy and out of shape Regal was.
    well yeah, kinda like I outlined but as I said id probably want someone else to take the helm. Do it at most bi-weekly so people dont get too bored/annoyed of the concept and set a time limit for people to vote on thread or submit PMs like with my American top 30 (as a poll imo would mean at most a top 20 of pre-selected names). after the time limit is up collated the votes and maybe do a lil write up on the higher placed entrants and the more controversial entrants to the list i.e explain why Masters places so highly :pac:

actually after reading the above id say once a month as there is a lot in that but itd be cool to have an archived list of boards.ie top 30s, top 30 tag teams of all time, under/overated of all time, top 30 never to win a world title etc... think the draft has me thinking about stuff like this atm.

Why is Masters are joke on here? He was one if not the most consistently good performer on WWE television last year. He has improved immensely.

Why is Masters are joke on here? He was one if not the most consistently good performer on WWE television last year. He has improved immensely.

im not the best to explain it but since i did the :pac: ill say that he is both a in joke of sorts and considerd highly here especially in comparison to other sites, here he atleast gets mentioned which he does deserve. As you say he had been good the past year on WWE Tv unfortunatley the WWE writers dont seem to know how to transfer him from Superstars without returning him to being a peck dancing comedy jobber atm, hope they figue that out though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Do you know who is overrated Lance Storm,I struggle to think of a truly great match he had.He's such a opinion of himself then.I had a good laugh in the Jericho dvd when Jericho was at Smokey Mt with Storm saying they learned promos. Clearly Lance only learned how to stand beside the person doing the promo.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Do you know who is overrated Lance Storm,I struggle to think of a truly great match he had.He's such a opinion of himself then.I had a good laugh in the Jericho dvd when Jericho was at Smokey Mt with Storm saying they learned promos. Clearly Lance only learned how to stand beside the person doing the promo.

His Anarchy Rulz match with Jerry Lynn is pretty great.

But his strikes are god awful, dont get me started on his punches and his dropkick always seemed to miss by miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jimmy jailbreak

I've been saying that forever. That guy goes out there every week and has to job to some guy (that he's more talented than) in 2-3 minutes and constantly goes above and beyond to make it a decent match.

In regards to the list, it's total bollocks. He puts Quackenbush and the rest of the "indy geeks" on the list because of their supposed poor attention to ring psychology and yet Triple H, the master of psychology ranks in at number 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Ridley

gimmick wrote: »
    It is complete pony to be fair. Then, lists are subjective. If we did an all time list here, Chris Masters would rate highly :p

I don't think Miss Elizabeth would be on our radar or use an umbrella term like "indy geeks". ;)

I think the Triple H ranking would be a fair assessment if it weren't for saying he "has received a free pass from internet wrestling fans." The IWC is where the HHHate comes from.

Personally, I'd have Austin, Flair, Goldberg, Ultimate Warrior and Lance Storm in my listings. *shrug*

Mr. Perfect had a relatively short run as a top class worker. Name me a good match he had post 1993.

Well thats complete ignorance regarding Perfect. He was injured from 1993 onwards until late 1997. He had a fantastic match with Bret Hart at Uncensored in 1998 or 1999.

He also had a good run after he returned at the Rumble in 2002, until he unfortunately got himself fired, and then unfortunately he died.

Also why post 1993?? His career before that mattered just as much, if not more as he was more active. He had fantastic matches again against Hart in the late 80s and early 90s and if you ever watched his 60 minute Iron Man match against Bockwinkel you'd appreciate his talent.

He was a top class worker for many years, just because he wasn't the World Champion doesnt mean much. Look at HHH who was 10+ times world champ, it means nothing. Its the calibre of his matches and he put on some incredible matches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭rude awakening

GTR63 wrote: »

If I can be serious for a minute..........have to disagree with this
    Thought WWE could have used him better than they did. Everyone knew who he was after the Invasion angle(Becoming IC champ in the meantime), and it seemed after that they didn't know what to do with him so he was put with Regal(Granted becoming Tag team champ). Never made it to Mania either, just the warm up match w/ Morley vs RVD and Kane and later that storyline when Austin was commissioner and he was on a loosing streak.

Thought he could have been IC champ a few more times or even kept on the mid-card roster :mad: . . . . . Rant over

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hmm, mixed feelings on this. ;) Seriously though I think that list is quite silly. Christian and Owen Hart were underrated wrestlers imo and I think you can count on one hand the amount of matches Miss Elizabeth had so how is she an overrated wrestler? Also Lawler has been fantastic in spite of his age the last few months and I don't think he belongs anywhere there either.

Well thats complete ignorance regarding Perfect. He was injured from 1993 onwards until late 1997. He had a fantastic match with Bret Hart at Uncensored in 1998 or 1999.

He also had a good run after he returned at the Rumble in 2002, until he unfortunately got himself fired, and then unfortunately he died.

Also why post 1993?? His career before that mattered just as much, if not more as he was more active. He had fantastic matches again against Hart in the late 80s and early 90s and if you ever watched his 60 minute Iron Man match against Bockwinkel you'd appreciate his talent.

He was a top class worker for many years, just because he wasn't the World Champion doesnt mean much. Look at HHH who was 10+ times world champ, it means nothing. Its the calibre of his matches and he put on some incredible matches.

Fireball discussing stuff like this with you is trouble is what learnt yesterday. Did you actually read my post this time?

Why are you talking about titles here?

Fireball discussing stuff like this with you is trouble is what learnt yesterday. Did you actually read my post this time?

Why are you talking about titles here?

Ok well you asked for one good match after 1993.

Curt Hennig v Bret Hart in 1997.

Also can I ask why you are asking for matches post-1993 and not pre-1993?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Ridley wrote: »
    I don't think Miss Elizabeth would be on our radar or use an umbrella term like "indy geeks". ;)

I think the Triple H ranking would be a fair assessment if it weren't for saying he "has received a free pass from internet wrestling fans." The IWC is where the HHHate comes from.

Personally, I'd have Austin, Flair, Goldberg, Ultimate Warrior and Lance Storm in my listings. *shrug*

Seriously? How so? and by who?

Advertisement