Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I'd agree with most of what you wrote except Cummins. I dont know what his fitness situation is. However, I don't think he will be starting championship this year (and will be well down the pecking order if he doesnt return soon). I think Johnny Heaney will probably be the 6th forward.

This will be Armstrong's last year I think and his role will be an impact sub - and he is a superb guy to have as an impact sub as we saw v Donegal.

A Mayo supporter beside me last Sunday told me they wouldn't take Comer if they could get him. You would have to wonder about how blind some football fans can be.

I was taking a bit of a punt on Cummins, I just think his pace would be an asset feeding off Comer and he was our best forward in 2016. I'd agree that fitness is now an issue and also that he will have difficulty breaking back into the team, especially if he doesn't see some league action fairly soon.

Not convinced about having Heaney as the 6th forward other than to basically use him as an extra defender/sweeper.

Agree that Armstrong will be an excellent impact sub, although I do think he has to be in contention for a starting place also. Since coming back he has looked sharper than we'd seen him in a long time.

As for the Mayo supporter not wanting Comer, he is clearly talking out of his arse and I imagine most Mayo supporters would be very happy to have Comer in the green and red had he been born a few miles to the north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

aidan24326 wrote: »

As for the Mayo supporter not wanting Comer, he is clearly talking out of his arse and I imagine most Mayo supporters would be very happy to have Comer in the green and red had he been born a few miles to the north.

Lads in fairness you'll always get eejits following any team

Any Mayo fan I've talked to would bite their hand off for him

jr86 wrote: »
    Lads in fairness you'll always get eejits following any team

Any Mayo fan I've talked to would bite their hand off for him

Of course they would, he brings something different and is a major handful now for any defender. His strength and ball carrying ability make him near impossible to mark, and he's a good footballer aswell aside from the brute force.

But we need Shane Walsh to realise his full potential. There have been signs of it recently but he just needs to show a bit more composure on the ball.He needs to be coached in that regard, to be a little bit more patient and bring other players into the game. I still don't think we're getting the very best out of him but it's great to think that there's untapped potential there considering he's pretty good already.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Heaney (sweeper), Daly, Walsh, Burke and Comer looks certainties for the forwards with the last spot going to Brannigan, Army or a third midfielder if needed. Brannigan putting his hand up currently. If they all stay fit that a very good forward line with a few different options off the bench

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Heaney (sweeper), Daly, Walsh, Burke and Comer looks certainties for the forwards with the last spot going to Brannigan, Army or a third midfielder if needed. Brannigan putting his hand up currently. If they all stay fit that a very good forward line with a few different options off the bench

Brannigan would be a certainty on current form, I know May is a bit away yet but Walsh has always liked Brannigan and with good reason (he has consistently been one of our better performers and has added a scoring threat to the workrate that was always there).

I hope it's not a case of Flynn being picked at 10 to act as a third midfielder because I can't remember a game where that has really worked. Flynn also has a tendency to fade out of games and be anonymous for a long stretch. When he's good he can be really good but for me we've only seen it bursts here and there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭testtech05

I had a Mayo fan at work telling me at lunchtime how Damien Comer had been stripped of the captaincy for some reason or other, I presume this is nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

I saw something similar on the Galway GAA Banter page on Facebook. Said it was for a breach of drinking rules and Patrick Sweeney is to take over. I took it with a major pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭MfMan

Sounds like a 'Donegal Tuesday' type of rumour.
    If you're playing Heaney as sweeper, what's the HB line going to be? And please don't include C Sweeney or GOD.
    Don't think there's a full game in Army at this stage, his back condition probably has to be managed carefully. Good, experienced sub to have come on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

aidan24326 wrote: »
    Brannigan would be a certainty on current form, I know May is a bit away yet but Walsh has always liked Brannigan and with good reason (he has consistently been one of our better performers and has added a scoring threat to the workrate that was always there).

I hope it's not a case of Flynn being picked at 10 to act as a third midfielder because I can't remember a game where that has really worked. Flynn also has a tendency to fade out of games and be anonymous for a long stretch. When he's good he can be really good but for me we've only seen it bursts here and there.

Brannigan has probably been Kevin Walsh's best 'find'. I'd love to see stats on how far he runs in a match compared to other players, he seems to cover a serious amount of ground.

MfMan wrote: »
    If you're playing Heaney as sweeper, what's the HB line going to be? And please don't include C Sweeney or GOD.
    Don't think there's a full game in Army at this stage, his back condition probably has to be managed carefully. Good, experienced sub to have come on.

Silke, Bradshaw, Kelly / O'Donnell / Wall / Lundy / Molloy (depending on form of corofin players and who comes in).

Heaney hasn't started in half back line in the league this year. He had always started in half forward line with Kelly half back. But he runs back straight away as an extra defender (if not quite a sweeper).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

There does seem to be strong rumours that Comer did breach some sort of drinking ban, but from what I hear from people at his club it hasn't resulted in losing captaincy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I'd agree with most of what you wrote except Cummins. I dont know what his fitness situation is. However, I don't think he will be starting championship this year (and will be well down the pecking order if he doesnt return soon). I think Johnny Heaney will probably be the 6th forward.

This will be Armstrong's last year I think and his role will be an impact sub - and he is a superb guy to have as an impact sub as we saw v Donegal.

A Mayo supporter beside me last Sunday told me they wouldn't take Comer if they could get him. You would have to wonder about how blind some football fans can be.

The last thing Mayo need is a scoring forward :)

The players should be allowed to drink provided its not a day or two before the game impacting performances.

This drinking ban culture in GAA is nonsense when the lads aren't even paid and professionals in AFL/Rugby etc are allowed at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

OK lads just to clarify that Mayo fan was obviously blind:D

I'd bite your hand off to have Damian Comer in our side.A ridiculously good footballer.

A few others impress me greatly.Young Peter Cooke,Shane Walsh and Eamon Brannigan too.

You guys are missing quite a few other notables... Michael Daly,Ian Burke,Kieran Molloy.

Yikes not to mention Lundy,Mc Hugh, Cummins,Varley,Flynn,O Curraoin.It all adds up to a serious squad and a titanic struggle in Castlebar come May 13th.

Jesus lads the Comer drinking stuff was just some clown on a banter page making a joke. Surely the part that said "Patrick Sweeney will take over as captain" kind of gave the game away. I'd like to blame the page owner but clearly the idiot believers are equally to blame

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Jesus lads the Comer drinking stuff was just some clown on a banter page making a joke. Surely the part that said "Patrick Sweeney will take over as captain" kind of gave the game away. I'd like to blame the page owner but clearly the idiot believers are equally to blame

Post seems to have been deleted since as well.

MfMan wrote: »

Well we can be fairly certain Heaney will play as a sweeper. Walsh has never yet started with 6 orthodox forwards in championship so doubt he will start now. Take your pick from Silke, Wynne, GOD, Sweeney and Molloy for half backs I suppose. Possibly Sean Kelly also.

On Brannigan, I do think he deserves a start, but Walsh didn't start him against either Mayo or Kerry last year and that was coming off a solid league. I think he likes his injection of pace in the second half, as was seen to good effect against Mayo last June

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I thought after 15 minutes that Sunday was going to be a day that Shane Walsh shows what he is capable off. Did some lovely runs and scored (I think). And then by the end of the first half, he just turned that on it’s head. Did completely stupid things for the 20 minutes before half time. Ballooning the ball wide, then across the pitch for a side-line ball. Should also have passed to a teammate for a goal. He seems so gifted, and other than Darren O’Sullivan, I’ve never seen such an acceleration of pace, that looks like he is gliding. But he seems fairly naïve when playing. Is he progressing at all? I’m from Mayo, but would love if he stepped up a level.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I thought after 15 minutes that Sunday was going to be a day that Shane Walsh shows what he is capable off. Did some lovely runs and scored (I think). And then by the end of the first half, he just turned that on it’s head. Did completely stupid things for the 20 minutes before half time. Ballooning the ball wide, then across the pitch for a side-line ball. Should also have passed to a teammate for a goal. He seems so gifted, and other than Darren O’Sullivan, I’ve never seen such an acceleration of pace, that looks like he is gliding. But he seems fairly naïve when playing. Is he progressing at all? I’m from Mayo, but would love if he stepped up a level.

He also missed a fairly straightforward free during that time. He's absolutely gifted skill wise but it's his decision making that lets him down at times.

I thought after 15 minutes that Sunday was going to be a day that Shane Walsh shows what he is capable off. Did some lovely runs and scored (I think). And then by the end of the first half, he just turned that on it’s head. Did completely stupid things for the 20 minutes before half time. Ballooning the ball wide, then across the pitch for a side-line ball. Should also have passed to a teammate for a goal. He seems so gifted, and other than Darren O’Sullivan, I’ve never seen such an acceleration of pace, that looks like he is gliding. But he seems fairly na when playing. Is he progressing at all? I’m from Mayo, but would love if he stepped up a level.

No he hasn't really progressed into the top player he ought to be given his high level of natural ability. And as Utopia said above it's poor decision making and a lack of composure that lets him down. I still think that side of his game could be improved though with better coaching.

If he could develop a bit more composure in terms of shot selection and bringing other players into the game he has the potential to be a serious player. Right now he is a bit off the top level as he mixes the brilliant with the frustrating and we only really see flashes of what he can do.

• Advertisement

There does seem to be strong rumours that Comer did breach some sort of drinking ban, but from what I hear from people at his club it hasn't resulted in losing captaincy.

Which lads in the club were ya talking to? Apparently he had a severe head on him today while leading NUIG to a sigerson final. Turned up to the bus with a curry cheese chip in one hand and Diarmuid O'Connors male pride in the other

I wonder why the FBD final is in Roscommon? The last time, they played in the FBD was also in Roscommon. Is it because the called off match in Tuam is considered as being the game where Galway got home advantage and now its Roscommon's turn again?

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Good luck to Corofin and NUIG today!

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I just want to echo Green Peters comments and wish NUIG and Corofin well.

If Corofin do get on top at some point then I hope we see them go for the jugular instead of settling back into game management mode. If theres one criticism that can be aimed at that team, and it's only a minor one as they are possibly the best club side Galway has ever seen, it's that they sometimes try and close a game off too early and lose control of a game by doing so.

Thats a complete farce.

He did nothing.

A fella pushed him into the player and even at that he wasn't even hit with anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,319 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Thats a complete farce.

He did nothing.

A fella pushed him into the player and even at that he wasn't even hit with anything.

I thought it was even harsh when I thought he was giving him a yellow. Couldn't believe he gave him a red card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Now that was an awful half of football. Reckon Kieran Fitzgerald could still be the best fullback in the county when he's 50.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Now that was an awful half of football. Reckon Kieran Fitzgerald could still be the best fullback in the county when he's 50.

He is a freak of nature,giving an exhibition at full back.

Moorefield are tough in defence but just don't have the forwards to really trouble Corofin at the other end. If Corofin get to a total of 7 or 8 points it will likely be enough to win this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Hup the currys

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement