Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Conceding 4 goals to Roscommon is worrying but best to find out lads at this stage than later on. The FBD has served its purpose, Kevin Walsh got a look at new players and long term this game will benefit Galway as they will learn a lot more from what happened today than the previous 3 games, only 1 of which was competitive.

Meath next week is a big game, if Galway can get a win there, it'll get them on the front foot in a fairly open division.

Comfortable win for the hurlers, Offaly look to be going even further backwards under Brian Whelehan if that was even possible. Canning will be a loss during a tough league campaign but personally I don't think it does any harm having to cope without him in the league, the management will learn a lot more about lads ahead of the championship rather than Canning dragging us over the line in a couple of games covering over the cracks. A few new lads need to step up and show some leadership.

Carlow next up will probably be tougher than today but should hopefully get through that and then Laois or Dublin in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Big win for the hurlers, Offaly look to be going even further backwards under Brian Whelehan if that was even possible. Canning will be a loss during a tough league campaign but personally I don't think it does any harm having to cope without him in the league, the management will learn a lot more about lads ahead of the championship rather than Canning dragging us over the line in a couple of games covering over the cracks. A few new lads need to step up and show some leadership.

Carlow next up will probably be tougher than today but should hopefully get through that and then Laois or Dublin in the final.

Listening to the commentary on Shannonside(?) he thought Galway were moving the ball better than they have before dspite not having some of the big names. He was impressed with Dean Higgins who was running out of defence all day. He also noted Galway players were taking on the scoring chance rather than passing on to a more experienced player.

Pity about Canning as he will be a big loss considering he scored a goal within 2 mins of comin on!!!

What about Colm Callanan with a penalty save!!! #Talented

Jason Flynn is a new found power house in the half forward line. Hopefully he's kept out of the corner.

Can only go up from here

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭homeofhurling

Conceding 4 goals to Roscommon is worrying but best to find out lads at this stage than later on. The FBD has served its purpose, Kevin Walsh got a look at new players and long term this game will benefit Galway as they will learn a lot more from what happened today than the previous 3 games, only 1 of which was competitive.

Meath next week is a big game, if Galway can get a win there, it'll get them on the front foot in a fairly open division.

Big win for the hurlers, Offaly look to be going even further backwards under Brian Whelehan if that was even possible. Canning will be a loss during a tough league campaign but personally I don't think it does any harm having to cope without him in the league, the management will learn a lot more about lads ahead of the championship rather than Canning dragging us over the line in a couple of games covering over the cracks. A few new lads need to step up and show some leadership.

lets not forget its 1988 since Galway won the all ireland a walsh cup win over offaly in januray is nothing to shout about and your right knowing Galway carlow could well beat them next sunday.

lets not forget its 1988 since Galway won the all ireland a walsh cup win over offaly in januray is nothing to shout about and your right knowing Galway carlow could well beat them next sunday.

When I said big win I should have clarified that it was a big winning margin rather than a win of any significance!

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    Galway should never ever be 6/4 outsiders against Roscommon no matter what circumstances. Has to be value there today, the team named looks reasonably strong. 50/50 game imo

Take you're beating like a man, sour grapes the better team won and we've no fear meeting you again this year, our young forwards are a match for any team, very few galway fans there today, five times as many rosies

• Advertisement

Take you're beating like a man, sour grapes the better team won and we've no fear meeting you again this year, our young forwards are a match for any team, very few galway fans there today, five times as many rosies

He wrote what you are quoting before the game started. He was only saying that he thought it was a good price. Congrats on ye're win and ye will be a tough nut to crack this year but its the FBD League, no-one really cares who wins it. This time next week no-one outside Connacht will even be able to tell you who won it. Don't see why you need to come on gloating.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

He wrote what you are quoting before the game started. He was only saying that he thought it was a good price. Congrats on ye're win and ye will be a tough nut to crack this year but its the FBD League, no-one really cares who wins it. This time next week no-one outside Connacht will even be able to tell you who won it. Don't see why you need to come on gloating.

Would ye both stop. Everyone has more important things to be worrying about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Hardly worth either side getting worked up over the FBD League. Leitrim won it a few times recently, proving how meaningless it is. After Roscommon's win over Mayo last week they were always likely to be favourites, it was a home game and they were the form team.

Moving swiftly on, it's all about the league now. We've tried out a rake of players and have Corofin lads to come back. Have no real hopes for the year as a whole but a solid league showing is needed. Mayo are still the team to beat come Championship time though I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Hardly worth either side getting worked up over the FBD League. Leitrim won it a few times recently, proving how meaningless it is. After Roscommon's win over Mayo last week they were always likely to be favourites, it was a home game and they were the form team.

Moving swiftly on, it's all about the league now. We've tried out a rake of players and have Corofin lads to come back. Have no real hopes for the year as a whole but a solid league showing is needed. Mayo are still the team to beat come Championship time though I'd say.

i agree with the significance of wining a pre season competition should'nt be over rated but it did give leitrim great confidence through out the league last year , we comfortably beat 5 of the 7 teams we played in division 4 with relative ease but we could only draw at home to a side who had just beat galway rosscommon in the FBD there was no doubt it stood to them , for a side like galway who have had a few hit and miss seasons it would have given them great confidence going into the league next week which is still something they look short on , i just feel galway could have done with that win a little bit more so then rosscommon today

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Syferus wrote: »
    But of a delusion there Hulk Hands. Odds reflect the here and now and not the past. Our record has always been good in Kiltoom so that was being taken into account too.

How did I know you'd turn up after the fact? Only when you win though, I remember a time when you came in here spouting before the game for 3 pages and were nowhere to be seen after a 14 point hammering. Of course odds reflect history, and Roscommon have beaten Galway about 3 times in 25 years, in what you describe as a Galway friendly venue so I thought it was value. The league starts next week and Galway are a consensus 4s for D2 while Roscommon are double that, another reason why that 6/4 was illogical. You have shown a massive degree of gambling nous on the site in the past though :rolleyes:

Anyone, to discount any bias, I couldnt put anyone off the taking that 8s on Roscommon in D2. I think it's at least a point too big, especially after Sunday which hasnt been accounted for

What on earth are you on about? I said the game was 50/50 so I thought 6/4 (which reflects 40/60) was value. Posted before the game, to which I posted again after, giving credit to a terrific young footballer on your side. Where are the sour grapes? Galway fans are the first ones to say our support is shiite, thats one of the worst attempts at an insult ive ever seen.
    Conceding 4 goals in one half of football is not ideal. Granted a pretty understrength side. As much as he gets some criticism, Finian Hanley is still very important to Galway at the back. Whenever he's not there they seem to leak a lot of goals. Well a lot more than they usually do anyway.

Lost count of the number of times ive defended Hanley, so many people dislike him I was actually questioning was I missing something! Completely agree anyway, Bar Meehan he's been our best player since about 05 imo

• Advertisement

How did I know you'd turn up after the fact? Only when you win though, I remember a time when you came in here spouting before the game for 3 pages and were nowhere to be seen after a 14 point hammering. Of course odds reflect history, and Roscommon have beaten Galway about 3 times in 25 years, in what you describe as a Galway friendly venue so I thought it was value. The league starts next week and Galway are a consensus 4s for D2 while Roscommon are double that, another reason why that 6/4 was illogical. You have shown a massive degree of gambling nous on the site in the past though :rolleyes:

Anyone, to discount any bias, I couldnt put anyone off the taking that 8s on Roscommon in D2. I think it's at least a point too big, especially after Sunday which hasnt been accounted for

What on earth are you on about? I said the game was 50/50 so I thought 6/4 (which reflects 40/60) was value. Posted before the game, to which I posted again after, giving credit to a terrific young footballer on your side. Where are the sour grapes? Galway fans are the first ones to say our support is shiite, thats one of the worst attempts at an insult ive ever seen.

Lost count of the number of times ive defended Hanley, so many people dislike him I was actually questioning was I missing something! Completely agree anyway, Bar Meehan he's been our best player since about 05 imo

Oh stop. After the fact? I didn't even look at this thread until after the match because I wouldn't have been so polite when you asked about team-sheets on the Roscommon one had I seen the above.

It's an illusion for a Galway supporter to think that slight favoritism for Roscommon in a home match the week after they beat Mayo in McHale was something anyone should be snapping up. The odds were that way because people were snapping up exactly the opposite of what you suggested.

The venue maybe friendly for travel but Kiltoom has rarely been friendly for any visiting team.

You seem to have a weird chip on your should too, for what reason I can't quite grasp. No matter. We can revisit the topic in a few weeks' time.

Oh stop. After the fact? I didn't even look at this thread until after the match because I wouldn't have been so polite when you asked about team-sheets on the Roscommon one had I seen the above.

It's an illusion for a Galway supporter to think that slight favoritism for Roscommon in a home match the week after they beat Mayo in McHale was something anyone should be snapping up. The odds were that way because people were snapping up exactly the opposite of what you suggested.

The venue maybe friendly for travel but Kiltoom has rarely been friendly for any visiting team. I can't recall a Roscommon side losing in Kiltoom in many years.

You seem to have a weird chip on your shoulder too, for what reason I can't quite grasp. No matter. We can revisit the topic in a few weeks' time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

mo

The odds were about right and the bookies got it right like they usually do. Roscommon came into this game as a team in form, going well, and playing at home on a pitch they seem to like. And let's be honest, we haven't exactly been great recently.

I fear that some Galway supporters seem to be overestimating our standing in the game. Tradition means feck all at this stage, we've fallen a long way down.

The ease with which Kerry beat us last August was an embarrassment. The actual margin may not have been huge but they won at an absolute canter, it was like a training session and I'd say their forwards couldn't believe how much time and space they were being given. We still have decent forwards but defensively we're a million miles short of what's required. Kevin Walsh has a huge task ahead of him in that department, and conceding 4 goals to Roscommon only emphasises the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

aidan24326 wrote: »
    The odds were about right and the bookies got it right like they usually do. Roscommon came into this game as a team in form, going well, and playing at home on a pitch they seem to like. And let's be honest, we haven't exactly been great recently.

I fear that some Galway supporters seem to be overestimating our standing in the game. Tradition means feck all at this stage, we've fallen a long way down.

The ease with which Kerry beat us last August was an embarrassment. The actual margin may not have been huge but they won at an absolute canter, it was like a training session and I'd say their forwards couldn't believe how much time and space they were being given. We still have decent forwards but defensively we're a million miles short of what's required. Kevin Walsh has a huge task ahead of him in that department, and conceding 4 goals to Roscommon only emphasises the point.

I dont know about that, only for the amount of wides galway kicked in the first half that day again kerry it could have been a close game, thats the best I seen galway play in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

I agree that we have to overcome our defensive problems but for me it is more about style of play, even Kerry the great team and purest footballing people have resorted to every man behind the ball and it is pure guff to watch. Cynical play and gamemanship has also taken root in top level football. The decision Kevin has to make is whether or not he abandons more traditional Galway style attacking play in order to compete with the physical teams and defend like a basketball team.

I disagree that Kerry were way better than us last year, I was at the game and they were rattled in the second half when we were running through them, the amount of wides that we had on that day was shocking, on another day we could have won if they had gone over. We have some very good forwards and one outstanding one (SW), I still believe that we won U21 titles by right in recent years, when more pure skill and footballing talent prevails as they are younger. Senior football is a different game, different level, not sure if we can step up, but I do not think that we are as far away as you state. I'm not looking through maroon coloured glasses either. We could have beaten Kerry and look what they went on to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭MfMan

Agree largely. From 1 - 7 inclusively, Big Kev has some thinking to do. A lot of the defenders available to him thus far in the season simply aren't good enough at defending, most of them like to attack. Gary O'Donnell has improved a bit in the past couple of seasons, but still isn't the answer at no. 6, rapidly becoming perhaps the most critical position to fill. This area has to be addressed for Galway to make meaningful progress this season. In fairness, if and whenever he can field a full-strength side, he will have quite good options in midfield and especially attack.

I dont know about that, only for the amount of wides galway kicked in the first half that day again kerry it could have been a close game, thats the best I seen galway play in a long time
    RobbieRuns wrote: »

I disagree that Kerry were way better than us last year, I was at the game and they were rattled in the second half when we were running through them, the amount of wides that we had on that day was shocking, on another day we could have won if they had gone over

Sorry guys but i really don't agree on this. Yes in some ways it was a performance that showed some promise, but look back at that game again and look at the ease with which Kerry were getting scores, how disorganised our defence was, how there seemed to be no real gameplan other than go gung-ho at it, and defensively we were so loose it was shocking to watch.

Now don't get me wrong I love the fact that Galway football has always been associated with skill and good attacking play and all of that, but you have to work with what's put in front you and right now I would say that a)Kevin Walsh doesn't have the Padraig Joyces and Michael Donnellans and Declan Meehans to play swashbuckling football and b)sooner or later we'll have to accept that whether we like it or not the game is gone more tactical and we need to have a much better defensive set-up.

MfMan wrote: »
    Agree largely. From 1 - 7 inclusively, Big Kev has some thinking to do. A lot of the defenders available to him thus far in the season simply aren't good enough at defending, most of them like to attack. Gary O'Donnell has improved a bit in the past couple of seasons, but still isn't the answer at no. 6, rapidly becoming perhaps the most critical position to fill. This area has to be addressed for Galway to make meaningful progress this season. In fairness, if and whenever he can field a full-strength side, he will have quite good options in midfield and especially attack.

What we need most of all is defensive structure, a gameplan. This is the challenge that Kevin Walsh faces. You don't need amazingly good players to do that, you just need a system and you need players to buy into that system and understand their role. I'm not saying we should go down the Donegal route but there has to be a change in setup when teams are rampaging through our defence so easily. It's like Moses parting the red sea any time teams run at our defence. Until the basics of defending are sorted out we'll be winning nothing, no matter how many Shane Walshes we produce.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭mjp

Anyone know if Walsh has cut the panel yet or what players are dropped. Think 36 players featured in FBD which is one of highest in country so can't say he hasn't given lads a chance. Numbers will probably be cut again when Corofin lads become available

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The backs are a huge worry again this year and all the Johnny Duane's in the world won't save us. That said I'd wait until championship to talk up the side anyways. Roscommon and ourselves certainly haven't set the championship alight in a very long time. We're basically debating who's less ****e at the moment.

Kerry never had to push on against Galway last year and bar a bit of brilliance from Tom Flynn in the first half they showed nothing in terms of being able to break through a solid defensive line. One of the worst first half showings from any Galway side in terms of wides too.

Meath is a massive game. I can't see a promotion unfortunately but Division 2 is typically pretty tight. These lads handed out a respectable walloping last year too. Wallace didn't play against Dublin by the looks of things but he's the type of player you want against a Galway FBline. An absolute runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭nootroc

Had enquiry from friend in Bennettsbridge re video of the Annaghdown match on Sunday. Anyone know who recorded the match?

Kerry beat us comfortably enough last year. First 15-20 minutes were a disaster, Flynn's goal gave us a lift and after Lundy got the 2nd goal we were in it for a few minutes. Damien Comer hit a wide straight after that I think would have pulled it back to 1 which may have given us the momentum to push on but Kerry reeled off a few scores comfortable enough after that and should have had a goal or two. Last 10-15 we were well out of it.

Against Mayo we were never really in it and any time we threatened Mayo were able to move clear again.

We are adrift of the top teams but I think Galway can move up the pecking order of the rest this year if we can find at least one good corner back and improve the half back line and play a bit less naively than we have in recent years. The backline was far too unstructured for my liking last year. Bradshaw doesn't work hard enough for the team imo. Varley I don't think has it at this level. Centre back is obviously a key position to improve.

It's very easy to say Kerry and Mayo won at a canter and had extra gears but you can't compensate for players racking up countless wides.

In the Mayo game I can remember at least 4 points left on the field from easy positions.
    Bradshaws goal chance when I'm sure he had a passing option and Cummins missed at least one gimme from directly in front.

Against Kerry there was about 10 wides on the board after 10 minutes and then Comer made a hash of a goal chance which would either of put us in front or level, again I think he had as easy passing option to possibly Lundy to compound.

Sure Kerry scored at ease but that was a management issue left unresolved for years.
    The only team in Croker that day who played man to man without any extra support.

Sure why wouldn't teams be picking off scores easier.... Absolute madness.

It's not as if we didn't have our chances in both games so there's something to work with provided Walsh has the tools.
    Kavanagh already highlighted the prep was poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,333 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Galway team v Meath

Brian O'Donoghue
    Donal O'Neill
    Colin Forde
    Cathal Sweeney
    Paul Varley
    Gareth Bradshaw
    Gary O'Donnell
    Fiontain O'Curraoin
    Tom Flynn
    Sean Denvir
    Shane Walsh
    Enda Tierney
    Danny Cummins
    Eddie Hoare
    Adrian Varley

Probably a half strength Galway team given the missing Corofin lads and the likes of Conroy, Hanley, Moore, Comer, etc. Haven't seen the subs yet though.

Galway team v Meath

Brian O'Donoghue
    Donal O'Neill
    Colin Forde
    Cathal Sweeney
    Paul Varley
    Gareth Bradshaw
    Gary O'Donnell
    Fiontain O'Curraoin
    Tom Flynn
    Sean Denvir
    Shane Walsh
    Enda Tierney
    Danny Cummins
    Eddie Hoare
    Adrian Varley

Probably a half strength Galway team given the missing Corofin lads and the likes of Conroy, Hanley, Moore, Comer, etc. Haven't seen the subs yet though.

The half back line looks to be a bit of shuffling of deckchairs to be honest, Colin Forde at full back not sure about that one but all things considered a reasonable side given what's available. Hopefully the 2 new lads can do well. Ironically our weakest sector for the last decade or so looks our strongest for this game.

4 home games this year, vital Galway win at a minimum 3 of those, Meath did quite well in the O'Byrne Cup so are coming into this game in reasonable shape. In this division there are no soft games but on the flip side there are no games that are unwinnable so I expect a tight one. Hopefully home advantage can tip it our way.

Division 2 this year looks very tight, there doesn't appear to be much between any of the 8 teams so it's hard to predict how it will go. There will be some tight games and whether you come out the right side or the wrong side of a couple of those results will mean the difference of whether you're on a promotion push or a relegation fight. The margins will be tight. Whatever about getting promoted I think it's important we don't get relegated into Div 3, a mid table finish would be acceptable but that has to be the minimum goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Fair play to Brian O'Donoghue for getting back into the side at 31. A clean sheet tomorrow would be very positive considering the new FB-line.

To be fair it was a bit of a joke that Walsh took the keeper off the last day when it was the defence that was at fault for the goals, the keeper could do nothing for any of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Syferus wrote: »
    To be fair it was a bit of a joke that Walsh took the keeper off the last day when it was the defence that was at fault for the goals, the keeper could do nothing for any of them.

I think he said afterwards that it was always his plan to take off the keeper....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

He said before the FBD league that he would use more than 1 keeper per game

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement