Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Anybody know how to get the widget on the front page to display items on my personal calendar? At the moment its showing stuff from Facebook (even though I have set that the only calendar I want is the personal one) which is really annoying and general stuff I add isn't showing!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sully wrote: »
    Anybody know how to get the widget on the front page to display items on my personal calendar? At the moment its showing stuff from Facebook (even though I have set that the only calendar I want is the personal one) which is really annoying and general stuff I add isn't showing!

I don't know what widget you're talking about it, but I use the smooth calendar widget and it shows all my calendars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Zagato wrote: »
    Freeze them using Titanium Backup Pro (requires root) This may be available natively in ICS

Only app I've bought so far and worth every cent.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I don't know what widget you're talking about it, but I use the smooth calendar widget and it shows all my calendars.

It was the one that came on the homescreen by default. Might try a different calendar, cant get used to this one. The Nokia calendar was much easier.

Still cant text as well either on touch screen. I miss the standard QWERTY keyboard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭doodio

For those of you on three, would someone be so kind as to upload the .apk file for the 3 skype app? I'm trying to track down the latest version for 3 Ireland. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Is it no longer available on Planet3?
    doodio wrote: »
    For those of you on three, would someone be so kind as to upload the .apk file for the 3 skype app? I'm trying to track down the latest version for 3 Ireland. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭briN_s

I use the agenda widget which came with the phone and it shows all contents from the calendar including facebook and gmail calendar events

I went with Smooth Calendar Widget, set it not to show anything bar my personal calendar. Still showed Facebook stuff. So I removed every event, added one to my Personal for next Tuesday and its showing now. Id prefer it only showed on the day. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Walkman wrote: »
    Just updated mine to 2.3.5 it's on 3. Can anyone tell me what the update brings as I can't notice any difference, thanks
    Afaik, just a few user interface improvements, you might notice them in time. I updated from 2.3.3 to 2.3.5 on my Galaxy S last week, one thing i noticed was the notification bar changed from grey to black, which is a touch i really like. Presumably, you'd have notice'd if they did that on the S2 as well though..

Apparently, the listed improvements are:

- Brought improved network performance for the Nexus S 4G, among other fixes and improvements.
    - Fixed Bluetooth bug on Samsung Galaxy S
    - Improved Gmail application

Last one there should apply to all S2 users :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Sully wrote: »
    I went with Smooth Calendar Widget, set it not to show anything bar my personal calendar. Still showed Facebook stuff. So I removed every event, added one to my Personal for next Tuesday and its showing now. Id prefer it only showed on the day. Any ideas?

In the config settings change the span from 365 days to 1 day and see if that works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Anyone else ever have a problem with the Market dropping? I've had this problem probably since the Desire, don't think my Hero did it, basically I'm downloading an app, no problem finding it, I click download and it either hangs on ..Loading.. or hangs on ..Starting Download.. it didn't bother me before too much but now it's doing it all the time!

Usually the only way of solving it is the clear data and cache in Applications > Market, but that's a pain in the hole and I shouldn't have to do it every time.

I've had this problem on an unrooted SGS II and a rooted SGS II with Litening ROM, numerous Modaco ROMs and Cyanogen Mod Stable and Nightlies, so it's nothing to do with ROMs.

I'd be glad if someone else had this problem just so I wouldn't feel so alone!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Market was definitely having issue earlier. Was downloading some essentials for my sisters new S2 and the app pictures were refusing to load..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just my S2 today and looking at the total storage available, it says only 1.9gb!

It's a 16gb S2. It says total space for USB storage is 11.5gb, fine. But device memory is only 1.9gb free, why. So I can only put 1.9gb of apps and games on this.

What gives here?

The reason I got this was because I ran out of space on the Desire and Sensation and you can't add alot of apps to the SD card.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭doodio

Is it no longer available on Planet3?

It's not letting me download it. If someone could pleaseee get me the apk, I would be forever grateful! a PM or a post would be great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

In the last 2 days my phone has restarted itself about 5 times or so out of the blue. Anyone had this issue? Should I return the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭vicM

danthefan wrote: »
    In the last 2 days my phone has restarted itself about 5 times or so out of the blue. Anyone had this issue? Should I return the phone?

Back up your data then do a hard reset, if that doesnt help consider reflashing your OS

Just my S2 today and looking at the total storage available, it says only 1.9gb!

It's a 16gb S2. It says total space for USB storage is 11.5gb, fine. But device memory is only 1.9gb free, why. So I can only put 1.9gb of apps and games on this.

What gives here?

The reason I got this was because I ran out of space on the Desire and Sensation and you can't add alot of apps to the SD card.

I think all data including dowloaded apps is stored in the USB storage, the Device memory I think refers to ROM, mine shows 1.45gGb and I have 4 games each about 300MB.

Dont fret

Walkman wrote: »
    Just updated mine to 2.3.5 it's on 3. Can anyone tell me what the update brings as I can't notice any difference, thanks

One thing I have noticed is the bounce effect is gone and replaced with an awful(IMO) blue light effect. Im actually considering just flashing back to 2.3.4 as I cannot see any significant improvements

Well, my CM7 installation keeps aborting can't work out why. Use clockwork recovery go through all the steps of installing the zip from the SD card but it keeps failing during installation and aborting.

This is a right pain trying to figure out what's gone wrong here.

Edit: Right well I put a different CM7 zip file on the SD card and that installed fine, but now my phone has hung on the reboot screen with the yellow triangle for the past 3 minutes. The only option I have left is to pull the battery but I think that will brick the phone. Yep, bricked, won't go past the load screen, it's fecked. So much for modding anyway even the idiots guide could not save me.

Is there any way to fix a bricked GS2, my laptop won't even recognise it anymore through USB. Is is fit for the bin?

Well final update on this: I can get it to download mode and back to odin. I'm trying to install a stock file but it keeps on failing. I can re-install the root no problem but it makes no difference to the phone. Careful out there ladies and gents or you'll have a €500 paper weight like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Well, my CM7 installation keeps aborting can't work out why. Use clockwork recovery go through all the steps of installing the zip from the SD card but it keeps failing during installation and aborting.

This is a right pain trying to figure out what's gone wrong here.

Edit: Right well I put a different CM7 zip file on the SD card and that installed fine, but now my phone has hung on the reboot screen with the yellow triangle for the past 3 minutes. The only option I have left is to pull the battery but I think that will brick the phone. Yep, bricked, won't go past the load screen, it's fecked. So much for modding anyway even the idiots guide could not save me.

Is there any way to fix a bricked GS2, my laptop won't even recognise it anymore through USB. Is is fit for the bin?

Well final update on this: I can get it to download mode and back to odin. I'm trying to install a stock file but it keeps on failing. I can re-install the root no problem but it makes no difference to the phone. Careful out there ladies and gents or you'll have a €500 paper weight like me.
    Can you get into clockwork recovery? If you can, factory reset everything, clear all the caches and try and install a fresh rom like check revolution from xda. To be honest if you can get to clock work mod you're not completely screwed

• Advertisement

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Can you get into clockwork recovery? If you can, factory reset everything, clear all the caches and try and install a fresh rom like check revolution from xda. To be honest if you can get to clock work mod you're not completely screwed

I can't get into anything. I can put the phone in Odin mode and in recovery mode which gives a Kies firmware error message.

Nothing I do through Odin works, it all fails with stock installs. I'm watching youtube vids here for soft brick fixes and the stock software always sorts it but not for me.

If I ever get this working back to stock I am never messing about with an Android device again, it's not worth this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

danthefan wrote: »

Mine did this the whole time when I got it first. (mines not rooted or flashed).

I read somewhere online that if you were to wedge some paper under the bottom of the battery, so that it pushes the metal contacts right to the pins inside the phone, this should work.

I've done this, and it hasn't restarted once since. So, may be down to a loose battery:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

lads

voice talk keeps coming up when i hit the home key, how do i get rid of this... never use it and its just annoying.!

i dont want to speak out to call someone, text, navigate... etc.

I can't get into anything. I can put the phone in Odin mode and in recovery mode which gives a Kies firmware error message.

Nothing I do through Odin works, it all fails with stock installs. I'm watching youtube vids here for soft brick fixes and the stock software always sorts it but not for me.

If I ever get this working back to stock I am never messing about with an Android device again, it's not worth this at all.
    Did you manage to sort this in the end?

Did you manage to sort this in the end?

I managed to get a stock kernal back on to it so that the yellow warning does not show up any more on the start up but the phone can't get past the boot up screen. I tried to do a firmware recovery with Kies but it can't detect the phone.

Looks like I'm going to have to leave it in somewhere and see if someone can do something with it.

I managed to get a stock kernal back on to it so that the yellow warning does not show up any more on the start up but the phone can't get past the boot up screen. I tried to do a firmware recovery with Kies but it can't detect the phone.

Looks like I'm going to have to leave it in somewhere and see if someone can do something with it.

captain

if you can get stock kernel back on it then it seems that maybe its just a matter of clearing your caches

Have you tried going into recovery mode clearing dalvik cache and then reinstalling the rom (Preferably a wipe ROM)

vicM wrote: »
    captain

if you can get stock kernel back on it then it seems that maybe its just a matter of clearing your caches

Have you tried going into recovery mode clearing dalvik cache and then reinstalling the rom (Preferably a wipe ROM)

I can't get the phone into recovery mode. I turn the phone off and press hold v,up home and power but it still starts up as normal. Ok google sorted that out, have to press and release after the samsung logo pops up.

Cache cleared and factory setting selected from recovery mode but made no difference.

I assume a wipe rom has to be put on an SD card and selected from that in recovery mode? I take it I can get a wipe rom from the XDA site, I don't want to be messing around with roms anymore as it's what got me in this mess in the first place. I don't trust any of those files anymore.

Download CheckRom Revolution from XDA and follow these steps in recovery. When you've cleared all the caches etc. just put the rom on the phone and flash the zip.
    Q: I'm coming from a different ROM how can i install this ROM ?

A. Follow the steps below
    Get into the CWM recovery
    Wipe Data/factory reset
    Wipe Cache
    Wipe Dalvik-Cache
    Wipe Battery Stats
    Wipe Data/factory reset
    Wipe Cache
    Wipe Dalvik-Cache
    Wipe Battery Stats
    Install the wipe version of this ROM

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

lads

voice talk keeps coming up when i hit the home key, how do i get rid of this... never use it and its just annoying.!

i dont want to speak out to call someone, text, navigate... etc.

I had this with 2 handsets (first one replaced by meteor, no questions asked!) It turned out to be fluff/dirt/grime in the usb port that bridges a contact making the phone think there's some sort of car device plugged in. Carefully clean the port out with something pointy and small. I used a scalpel blade.

Actually, this wasn't the exact error I was getting, I was getting "car mode activated" with a picture of a steering wheel in the notification bar, and "voice talk" popping up, and the desk clock too at times. Right pain really. If the clean out doesn't work, there are people out there who've used contact cleaner, which would've been my next step. Power off and battery out obviously.

Alternatively, are you sure you're not pressing the home button twice? I think this is a shortcut to voice talk. Can't remember, I have it frozen because I never use it. If you're rooted, get titanium backup pro and freeze it. It'll still be there if you ever decide you want to stalk talking to your phone.

• Advertisement

Download CheckRom Revolution from XDA and follow these steps in recovery. When you've cleared all the caches etc. just put the rom on the phone and flash the zip.
    Q: I'm coming from a different ROM how can i install this ROM ?

A. Follow the steps below
    Get into the CWM recovery
    Wipe Data/factory reset
    Wipe Cache
    Wipe Dalvik-Cache
    Wipe Battery Stats
    Wipe Data/factory reset
    Wipe Cache
    Wipe Dalvik-Cache
    Wipe Battery Stats
    Install the wipe version of this ROM

The way my phone is I can't even drag and drop a rom onto it. Windows will not detect my phone as USB storage. I have to use an SD card in another device and swap the card out.

I can't get to the CWM recovery. I'm locked out of the phone, all I can do is the button combination for Odin and recovery mode and that's it.

http://www.biggtech.com/samsung/how-to-put-samsung-galaxy-s2-in-recovery-mode_6784.html

That screen shot is the only options I have to work with.

Advertisement