Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Just posted this on XDA Battery Drain

Anyone got any suggestions for me?
    I've tried everything I can think of to fix it at this stage.

My usb slot is faulty too, it pops up thinking its connected to a car dock or a charger even though nothing is connected. It also won't connect to my PC as usb storage anymore.

I might return it to stock and send it in for repair for the USB and also the battery drain issue :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

can someone tell me what this screen is called and how to change it?
    its the initial image shown on power up and has been branded by one of the custom roms i installed

Sorry about poor image quality:pac:
    177860.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

lafors wrote: »

My usb slot is faulty too, it pops up thinking its connected to a car dock or a charger even though nothing is connected. It also won't connect to my PC as usb storage anymore.

I might return it to stock and send it in for repair for the USB and also the battery drain issue :confused:

Blast the port with some air, maybe something inside is causing a short (like a bit of tinfoil or whatever).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

lafors wrote: »

Android OS battery drain is in every device, weather it be 15% or 60% it happens at some stage or other, as for the time being, there`s only temporary fixes, I thought you might find this thread interesting to read, it might inform you a little bit more, Happy reading

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I got this phone and find the battery life annoying. It's my first Android phone and a day isn't good enough. It was 50% after a few hours and damn all usage.

I am looking to turn off the auto updates from the internet. I thought having wifi turned off would be enough since I don't have an internet usage subscription with O2, but it still auto checks for emails and facebook updates and I don't want it to. When my 30 free days net usage runs out I've a feeling it will charge me for this.
    Can anyone tell me how I turn this feature off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I got this phone and find the battery life annoying. It's my first Android phone and a day isn't good enough. It was 50% after a few hours and damn all usage.

I am looking to turn off the auto updates from the internet. I thought having wifi turned off would be enough since I don't have an internet usage subscription with O2, but it still auto checks for emails and facebook updates and I don't want it to. When my 30 free days net usage runs out I've a feeling it will charge me for this.

Settings>Accounts ans sync>Background data turn it out and Auto-sync in there off as well.

Not hard to find really.

It's also really easy to get 2 days out of the battery with normal phone use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

My s2 was stolen before I got to register it with Samsung Dive.
    Samsung say there's no way of tracking the phone.
    All I have is the IMEI no,is there any way at all of finding the phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Whats this Samsung Dive you speak of??

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭macpac26

Got this phone last week after the past 3 years using an iPhone and iOS.

First impressions are good, the Android system is a lot more open and the sheer amounts of things you can do with this phone is incredible. Just last night i discovered i was able to stream my phone media to my PS3 using DNLA. No hassle just click and its done. Nice. Internet browsing experience is fantastic and my god FLASH! at last! No more gaping holes on webpages. Getting used to syncing accounts and background processes etc. Not quite sure if i need any apps to manage the phone better or not i just have the default active program app running on the homepage.

The battery is quite poor and im getting a day max out of it at the moment. I guess once i stop playing with it so much ill get more out of it. I just have Gmail sync on only.

Overall im very happy with the switch, great screen, camera and its FAST! its nice and light too. Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Lordfranto

Folks dunno if y'all know bout this but if u Google getjar its an alternative appstor, u can download the app for it from the site. the main reason to download it is there are a number of about 50 paid apps being offered for free on getjar! there u can also find mp3 downloader pro which is the best music downloader i have found to date!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

:confused:

You have an android phone, but no data pack? Are you planning on just using wifi? Or Pay as you use data? Or none?

subway wrote: »
    can someone tell me what this screen is called and how to change it?
    its the initial image shown on power up and has been branded by one of the custom roms i installed

Splash screen.

AFAIK, you can't change it without going deep.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Whats this Samsung Dive you speak of??

My understanding is it's an inbuilt Samsung GPS tracking app which you register the phone to. Rather than an add on it's there already just to activate it.

staker wrote: »
    My understanding is it's an inbuilt Samsung GPS tracking app which you register the phone to. Rather than an add on it's there already just to activate it.

I click the 'Register your mobile phone' image after registration and nothing happens? :confused:

Site is down for maintenance.

Site is down for maintenance.

Firefox was blocking a popup, thought it was an advertisement! :o

I click the 'Register your mobile phone' image after registration and nothing happens? :confused:

That's where I'm goosed, you need to register from your phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

You have an android phone, but no data pack? Are you planning on just using wifi? Or Pay as you use data? Or none?

I'm not on bill pay and pay €20 a month for unlimited free texts to any network. I was going to have €10 taken from this credit to pay for 700mb data usage a month but I decided to leave it for now and see how much I need the Internet when I'm away from wifi. (I'm stingy when it comes to phone credit- haha)

I mainly will use wifi with it. My gaff and everyone I know has broadband that I'm synched to and hopefully I won't need the Internet more than that.

I don't want to be checking my email, Facebook and everything constantly so I'll restrict myself if I can.

staker wrote: »
    That's where I'm goosed, you need to register from your phone...

As said, the site is down for maintenance although how they show it is poor.

I tried from desktop & mobile btw, same shoite!

As said, the site is down for maintenance although how they show it is poor.

I tried from desktop & mobile btw, same shoite!

Excellent,thought ye were talking about something else.
    There may be hope yet:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

I'm not on bill pay and pay €20 a month for unlimited free texts to any network. I was going to have €10 taken from this credit to pay for 700mb data usage a month but I decided to leave it for now and see how much I need the Internet when I'm away from wifi. (I'm stingy when it comes to phone credit- haha)

I mainly will use wifi with it. My gaff and everyone I know has broadband that I'm synched to and hopefully I won't need the Internet more than that.

I don't want to be checking my email, Facebook and everything constantly so I'll restrict myself if I can.

If you had a decent data plan you can get a free app to webtext (Cabbage or Textroid) and could use Skype or Viber to reduce minutes used.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,842 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Anyone know how to get notifications from email addresses other than gmail?

I have mine coming in through the SocialHub at the moment. Hotmail and Gmail through it.

Pretty easy set up, walks you through it.

Not super keen on it, but it works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

ShaneU wrote: »
    Anyone know how to get notifications from email addresses other than gmail?

You can set up hotmail to be pushed to your phone, if you are looking for that?

It's just using the regular email app!

Thanks, couldn't find the option to do it before

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I used this link to set it up! :)

Got the phone just a few days ago and have noticed a problem with it. It's too light! :D seriously if it fell out of my pocket I wouldn't notice, I have to keep checking my jeans all the time. Maybe I should get a case for it

Way, I helped someone. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭Top Dog

Can anyone suggest any method for boosting the volume through the headphone jack? Used the hands-free headphones for the first time tonight, and after 2 minutes of struggling to hear the other person I had to give up, pull in, and just use the phone as normal. Have also noticed that even at max volume the music isn't particularly loud, though I'm guessing winamp or similar might sort that side of it, but it still leaves me with the problem of making calls. Tried it again later when cruising on a smooth dual-carraigeway and it was a bit better, but still very poor in comparison to any other phone I've used in a similar way :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Top Dog wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest any method for boosting the volume through the headphone jack? Used the hands-free headphones for the first time tonight, and after 2 minutes of struggling to hear the other person I had to give up, pull in, and just use the phone as normal. Have also noticed that even at max volume the music isn't particularly loud, though I'm guessing winamp or similar might sort that side of it, but it still leaves me with the problem of making calls. Tried it again later when cruising on a smooth dual-carraigeway and it was a bit better, but still very poor in comparison to any other phone I've used in a similar way :(

Go into settings, volume, and then try increasing the media volume

Advertisement