Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

Well I would wait at least until the announcement on October 11th, and try to get an idea of how long before the ICS phone lands over here

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Zagato wrote: »
    Well I would wait at least until the announcement on October 11th, and try to get an idea of how long before the ICS phone lands over here

October 27th now I think

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Triptych

Mega Chin wrote: »
    October 27th now I think

That's the problem. I was waiting till the 11th but the fact it's pushed back is making me impatient. That said, I'd be pretty frustrated if i grabbed an s2 only to find it was wasn't getting ICS. Having said that, I currently pretty frustrated with a phone which keeps dying on me...

Triptych wrote: »
    That's the problem. I was waiting till the 11th but the fact it's pushed back is making me impatient. That said, I'd be pretty frustrated if i grabbed an s2 only to find it was wasn't getting ICS. Having said that, I currently pretty frustrated with a phone which keeps dying on me...

The GS2 will get ICS. Its just a case of when.
    Youll be waiting the same amount of time for the new nexus. The devices release date will still be about the end of november(in the US anyway), its just the reveal they pushed back

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Anyone know how to completely remove villaintweaks and all the tweaks I installed? I want to try them again fresh. But I want to make sure I remove the whole lot first.

The noise cancellation tweak doesn't seem to have worked on it.

Unless you made backups of the apk before the tweaks, the only way is to reflash the ROM

Ok. I presume there's no need to reflash though?

When you say apk back up.... Are you referring to the villaintweaks? If so, then how can I find out if I've done this?

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Need a bit of help, the battery is now draining very fast 8hrs without even using it, less when I am :(

I did a full restore of apps/data with titanium backup from last Sundays backup before it started but it seems to still be the same. I've had a few auto reboots too.
    Battery stats are :
    4h 12m 37s on battery
    Android OS 94% 5hr 12m 16s
    Display 2% 19m 18s
    Android System 2% 3m 23s
    About 70% left but its dropping off quickly.

What did you flash? Thats an absolutely ridiculous amount for the OS to be using

Mega Chin wrote: »
    What did you flash? Thats an absolutely ridiculous amount for the OS to be using

I flashed KH3 last week, was fine for nearly a week.
    Was reading about this AOS high usage problem and apparantly there's no way to fix it until samsung fix it. The original SGS had the same issue as did a few other phones. Its been fixed on the SGS but has now started on the SGS2. The phone basically can't go into deep sleep when the screen is turned off and so it keeps running 2 particular processes "suspend" and "events/0". I have been using watchdog to track when they are starting, only when the screen is off and alarms when it hits 50% and then goes all the way to 99%.
    I lost 40% in approx 5 mins!!

Don't know what to do about it :(
    Here's the thread discussing it on XDA
    XDA Android OS Battery Drain

lafors wrote: »
    Was reading about this AOS high usage problem and apparantly there's no way to fix it until samsung fix it. The original SGS had the same issue as did a few other phones. Its been fixed on the SGS but has now started on the SGS2. The phone basically can't go into deep sleep when the screen is turned off and so it keeps running 2 particular processes "suspend" and "events/0". I have been using watchdog to track when they are starting, only when the screen is off and alarms when it hits 50% and then goes all the way to 99%.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

lafors wrote: »

I had a similar problem with mine a while ago. I was running stock rom, then villain rom, all sorts of combinations with cf-root kernel and ninphetamine. Can't remember the exact configs, but there were issues with them all. The battery drained extremely quickly, got very hot and sometimes got random reboots. Then went to litening rom 6.0 with ninphetamine 2.0.5 kernel and no joy. Changed kernel to cf-root and radio to KH3, now it's perfect. Get 2 days of moderate use including a good bit of music playing through a combination of headphones and bluetooth. When I say "2 days" I mean take it off charge in the morning, use it all day, standby at night, use all day then charge at night again. Actually had to play games and download stuff for an hour or so to drain the last few % to do a full battery cycle, before charging it.

I don't use widgets a lot, just weather, clock and missedit. I do use widgetlocker, but with sliders and phantom music control. I have a data enabler switch widget that I use to enable data when I want it. Constant email and facebook notifications annoy me, so I check them when I want to. These aren't relevant to your problem, but just explaining my battery life.

What I'd recommend, from experience, is changing rom and/or kernel until it goes away. The only problem I've noticed is the screenshot doesn't work. it seems to, but then i get a force close of "...screenshot...apk." Can live with that for the moment though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

I'm running ke1 which I gather is an older firmware. I'm getting between 24 and 36 hours. I'm happy

masseyno9 wrote: »
    I had a similar problem with mine a while ago. I was running stock rom, then villain rom, all sorts of combinations with cf-root kernel and ninphetamine. Can't remember the exact configs, but there were issues with them all. The battery drained extremely quickly, got very hot and sometimes got random reboots. Then went to litening rom 6.0 with ninphetamine 2.0.5 kernel and no joy. Changed kernel to cf-root and radio to KH3, now it's perfect. Get 2 days of moderate use including a good bit of music playing through a combination of headphones and bluetooth. When I say "2 days" I mean take it off charge in the morning, use it all day, standby at night, use all day then charge at night again. Actually had to play games and download stuff for an hour or so to drain the last few % to do a full battery cycle, before charging it.

I don't use widgets a lot, just weather, clock and missedit. I do use widgetlocker, but with sliders and phantom music control. I have a data enabler switch widget that I use to enable data when I want it. Constant email and facebook notifications annoy me, so I check them when I want to. These aren't relevant to your problem, but just explaining my battery life.

What I'd recommend, from experience, is changing rom and/or kernel until it goes away. The only problem I've noticed is the screenshot doesn't work. it seems to, but then i get a force close of "...screenshot...apk." Can live with that for the moment though.

See I was getting that too then this started happening.
    It seems as though it can happen at any time without actually doing anything to start it. The phone isn't even registering when I put it on to charge or when I take it off sometimes until I reboot. I'm going to reflash KH3 again and see how it goes.

I've rooted with CF method and flashed with VillainROM 3.0 and also installed villaintweaks.

If I wanted to flash a different rom, is it just a case of doing an nandorid backup and simply flashing a new ROM? Do i have to get rid of old rom first or what?

I've rooted with CF method and flashed with VillainROM 3.0 and also installed villaintweaks.

If I wanted to flash a different rom, is it just a case of doing an nandorid backup and simply flashing a new ROM? Do i have to get rid of old rom first or what?

It's always sensible to do a full wipe using clockworkmod if moving to a new ROM

It's always sensible to do a full wipe using clockworkmod if moving to a new ROM

So backup using CWM(nandroid) and TP(just to be sure) and then do a wipe? Will this get rid of everything on the phone including ROM and tweaks?

Main reason for switching ROM's is the bloody echo that other people get when they ring me. Can't remember any issue when on the stock firmware unrooted or flashed, so I'm presuming that its a ROM issue?

Any other ROM recommendations that I should check out that would also boost battery life?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭smilerf

I don't know but from what I'm reading all these Roms are doing more harm than good

So backup using CWM(nandroid) and TP(just to be sure) and then do a wipe? Will this get rid of everything on the phone including ROM and tweaks?

It's like a factory reset, so won't get rid of ROM or Villain Tweaks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Main reason for switching ROM's is the bloody echo that other people get when they ring me. Can't remember any issue when on the stock firmware unrooted or flashed, so I'm presuming that its a ROM issue?

Any other ROM recommendations that I should check out that would also boost battery life?

I'm on cognition 1.5.1 at the moment, it's good. One thing I find is that if I don't turn off wifi before turning off the screen, the phone keeps waking up. It may be juice defender but not sure.

The last rom I was on and I may go back to it is Lightning Rom. Really liked that with no bugs in could find.

It's like a factory reset, so won't get rid of ROM or Villain Tweaks

Ok, so how do I lose my current ROM if I want to? Can I manually get rid of the ROM and tweaks from Villainrom?
    AntiRip wrote: »
    I'm on cognition 1.5.1 at the moment, it's good. One thing I find is that if I don't turn off wifi before turning off the screen, the phone keeps waking up. It may be juice defender but not sure.

The last rom I was on and I may go back to it is Lightning Rom. Really liked that with no bugs in could find.

I heard a lot about lightning Rom and it seems very popular.

Separate question: How do I switch my phone to only search for 2g(or lowest reception) when I'm not using mobile internet? Basically, where I live the reception isn't the best, so I think the battery might be suffering due to the constant searching for a better signal. Don't know if this makes any sense or not, but someone might know what I'm on about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Yeah get rid of villain rom, doesn't seem to be working too well for you. Just go flash litening rom (works for me).

Regarding your signal strength, you are pretty much ****ed here. Your battery is always gonna suffer is phone is constantly straining to make connection. Turn off mobile data completely when not in use I would recommend. At night time it will still use battery polling cell tower, you could use airplane mode to stop that. Most people leave phone charging at nighttime tho so meh.

Got my official samsung 2000mah battery today :)
    Have it in charging at the moment.
    Just flashed the XWKI8 Frankenstein firmware from Intratech's thread on XDA. Its XWKI8 Android 2.3.5 which contains:
    PDA: XWKI8
    Modem/phone: XXKI4
    CSC: XEUKI2

I'll let you all know how its going later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Ah! When did KI8 come out? I've only just flashed KI4!

Cheers for the heads up lafors.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

Installed Siyah 1.8 rc1 kernal last night and the AOS bug seems to be gone for me. It was running between 50-60% of battery usage and is currently around 5%.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭silentbutnice

Can anyone tell me how I get rid of the lockscreen? I had it in such a way that when I turned on the screen that I didn't have to drag the unlock screen.

Its very annoying now as for some reason its back and I can't remember how to turn it off again.

Edit: "no lock" app on the market took care of it for me! Don't know why there's isn't an option built into the phone to disable/enable this feature.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭ellinguistico

Can anyone tell me how I get rid of the lockscreen? I had it in such a way that when I turned on the screen that I didn't have to drag the unlock screen.

Its very annoying now as for some reason its back and I can't remember how to turn it off again.

Simple app called lock off works for me, does what it says on the tin etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Hi folks - just switched from a 3GS to a SGS2 today. Can you tell me the best way to sync up with the media on my pc. I didnt get any disc with the phone so is there a Samsung equivalent of Itunes where I can manage my music/playlists etc? I've manage to get into this Kies air but so far not convinced with the user-friendlyness of it

What is the best way to manage contacts - Is there anyway I can get all my contacts from MS outlook synced up with it?

Cheers

edit - so I synced my Gmail contacts with outlook so I think I will be able to get them from there onto the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 dubg

TheBazman wrote: »
    Hi folks - just switched from a 3GS to a SGS2 today. Can you tell me the best way to sync up with the media on my pc. I didnt get any disc with the phone so is there a Samsung equivalent of Itunes where I can manage my music/playlists etc? I've manage to get into this Kies air but so far not convinced with the user-friendlyness of it

What is the best way to manage contacts - Is there anyway I can get all my contacts from MS outlook synced up with it?

Cheers

edit - so I synced my Gmail contacts with outlook so I think I will be able to get them from there onto the phone

I used an app called double twist. Download it to your PC too. It will sync all your music with your iTunes. Then sync with your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I tried to use doubletwist to sync from itunes but it's not transferring some of the artist names over, just the song and album titles, I'm left with a bunch of songs named <unknown>.

I tried another app called easy phone tunes, and that couldn't detect the phone at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

Lads,

Trying to update my S2 to 2.3.4 from 2.3.3
    When i connect via Kies it said i am on the latest firmware XXKE7

I want to stay official and not interested in custom ROMs but surely there is a new official firmware out?

Cheers,

Advertisement