Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great news from Northern Ireland on Hare Coursing

Options
2»

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog


    eoinoleary wrote: »
    .. lets ban fishing!!...

    The standard response - why not ban something else & leave us to be cruel to Hares.
    eoinoleary wrote: »
    ..and horse racing,they get hurt dont they??

    Yes & more needs to be done to make sure that they don't. How about a 20% betting levy that goes totally to Horse Welfare. And whilst we are about it lets have a similar levy to ensure that all Greyhounds are cared for instead of killing more than 10,000 per year
    eoinoleary wrote: »
    oh yea and zoo's... lets close them too

    Most zoos are not like they were & many take part in major conservation projects as well as education.
    eoinoleary wrote: »
    .im a keen game shooter...treat all my pets extremely well...the though of deliberate animal fiting or cruelty repulses me.

    Then don't shoot. Go out enjoy the wildlife without killing it.

    No one can justify Coursing because there is no justifiable reason for it to continue. So the standard line is to say don't pick on us ban something else instead.

    Some of what you listed can have a beneficial aspect. Coursing only serves to "entertain" those of a certain disposition. If you do not see cruelty in Coursing then you must be blind. You claim to appreciate nature yet you see it as your right to remove wild animals & torment them purely for your entertainment.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec


    eoinoleary wrote: »
    its not all about the killing and filling the bag... its about being in the countryside..

    So just go for a hike, then. The countryside and its fauna is not there purely to satisfy your baser instincts.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭TippFan77


    Coursing is organised around the welfare of hares. They are well trained beforehand so they know where the escape is and are not mistreated in any way. It is in fact extremely rare for a hare to be hurt at a coursing meet and a vet is always present.


    Organised around the welfare of hares? They snatch the hares from their natural habitat, transport them away in tiny small boxes, hold them captive for weeks during which time they "train" them to run in straight line, then use them as bait for pairs of hyped-up greyhounds.

    The whole game revolves ill-treatment and cruelty, not the welfare of the unfortunate animals. Hares released after a meeting may suffer death from stress myopathy.

    The hare can't win, and all this is organised just for a bit of silly gambling and laugh?

    Australi banned it, state by state, then Scotland, then England and Wales, then NI. Type in the words hare coursing on Google News and do a search...most of the items are about coursing as the subject of criminal prosecutions and police clampdowns in countries that have banned it. It's a shameful and disgust activity and it's surviving on borrowed time in the R of Ireland.

    Have a look at some footage and pics here of this lovely welfare-friendly pastime...

    www.banbloodsports.com


  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7


    Coursing is organised around the welfare of hares. They are well trained beforehand so they know where the escape is and are not mistreated in any way. It is in fact extremely rare for a hare to be hurt at a coursing meet and a vet is always present.


    This the most *****, &&&&&&, **** post ever.

    Is there an award we can give this poster?

    Small wonder this "sport" survives if this is the level of thought out there.


  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer


    Graces7 wrote: »
    This the most *****, &&&&&&, **** post ever.

    Is there an award we can give this poster?

    Small wonder this "sport" survives if this is the level of thought out there.


    No need for that Graces7.

    In the last few days everyones been all very mature about discussion of these issues.

    A comment like this doesnt help to be honest so can you tone it down a small bit.Actually theres a few posters that could tone it down a bit--I mean a bit less of the anti hunting soapboxing.

    We`re allowing discussion of these topics here lately so that the other side of the argument can be put across by members of the hunting forum but opinion ramming and soapboxing is I feel getting in the way of genuine discussion.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7


    Hellrazer wrote: »
    No need for that Graces7.

    In the last few days everyones been all very mature about discussion of these issues.

    A comment like this doesnt help to be honest so can you tone it down a small bit.Actually theres a few posters that could tone it down a bit--I mean a bit less of the anti hunting soapboxing.

    We`re allowing discussion of these topics here lately so that the other side of the argument can be put across by members of the hunting forum but opinion ramming and soapboxing is I feel getting in the way of genuine discussion.

    Hmmm.. so expressing strong opinions is "soapboxing" now? Interesting idea.

    On issues like this there is no middle ground of course. Life and death is like that.
    So in many ways there is no discussion to be had.

    Thankfully this internet connection does not allow much access, so fear not! ;)


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭dahat


    Looking through the forum charter this thread violates so much of it.


  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer


    Graces7 wrote: »
    Hmmm.. so expressing strong opinions is "soapboxing" now? Interesting idea.

    No its not but your post slating another user over their post is.
    On issues like this there is no middle ground of course. Life and death is like that.

    No thats your opinion.The other side of the coin is from the people that do course and who have posted on this thread.
    So in many ways there is no discussion to be had.
    Again more opinion ramming.There is a discussion to be had hance this thread.

    Thankfully this internet connection does not allow much access, so fear not! ;)
    Just aswell this is the second time today youve come to the mods attention.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil


    TippFan77 wrote: »

    Not the most objective of sources.


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR


    Not the most objective of sources.

    And why is that?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog


    Not the most objective of sources.

    If you mean unbiased sources then there probably aren't any. The IGB/ICC pay for "research" to back up their claims. Why shouldn't the footage shown on the quoted sight be real. It is up to the individual to view it & decide if it is cruel.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭TippFan77


    Not the most objective of sources.

    Looking at your posts elsewhere Dr E and to be honest I don't think objectivity is your eh...strongpoint. Though you are of course entitled to your opinions.

    Here's hare coursing: and the camera didn't lie in any of these cases:

    www.flickr.com/photos/icabs/sets/72157624180875760/


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭dahat


    Another interpetation of the same video



  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog


    Another interpretation is that the wire argument is a load of guff & no charges were sought against the two Swedish students who filmed this. This video has been discussed here at great length. Had the students ended up in Court there were plenty of expert witnesses like Vets & Wildlife experts who would of testified that the film is genuine & that the Hare's behaviour is totally consistent with the injuries that it could of received. Even the offer of a big reward by the ICC could not prove otherwise.


  • Registered Users Posts: 16,772 ✭✭✭✭dahat


    Discodog wrote: »
    Another interpretation is that the wire argument is a load of guff & no charges were sought against the two Swedish students who filmed this. This video has been discussed here at great length. Had the students ended up in Court there were plenty of expert witnesses like Vets & Wildlife experts who would of testified that the film is genuine & that the Hare's behaviour is totally consistent with the injuries that it could of received. Even the offer of a big reward by the ICC could not prove otherwise.

    Quite possible as is mine.......Im sure an ICC steward was present at the meeting and wondered if he was near the escape/holding area...
    While i know a bit about this i am not fully aware of the in's and outs of the investigation..


  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog


    Was there a real investigation ?. I am not aware that the Guards travelled to Sweden or asked the student to come back. The fuss on the ICC website & the reward seemed pointless as the guys who made the film have not hidden their names.

    The stewarding is the key issue. The ICC were claiming that someone brought a dead Hare into the event - under their coat ?. That they managed to get the dead Hare into a secure guarded enclosure with none of the thousands of spectator & stewards noticing. They then had to run the line to the outside, do the filming & then get the Hare back out, all without being seen. It is a rule that the Hares are guarded at all times yet no one saw anything.


Advertisement