Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion and the Cork plane crash

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

Oh well.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

OP, its atheists like you that give the rest a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭wordcount

Yep that's whose important here isn't it?

Whats your point, he can hardly do something independent of HIM can he?

Wordcount, I wish yours was zero.

I really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I didn't see the leaders of Atheist Ireland trying to console the victims families in any way so why can't ye have a bit of respect for the dead and for all those that are trying to help the victims and their families...

The church was their because at the end of the day Catholic Church INC or whatever ye want to call it were doing one of the fundamental things the church actually does well - trying to console and help those that need help...

I'm not a supporter of the church but bashing them even when they try to do good is a step too far... Do you really hate the church and what it stands for that much that you start to bash it for coming to try to do whatever it could to try to help the victims??? true you mightn't believe in their prayers but at they do and they think their doing the right thing and being there in itself is showing support....

OP - you really need to look at where your heart is - there is a lot of problems in the church I'll no doubt agree and as I said before I'm not a supporter of the church and rarely if ever go to any services bar funerals or weddings... but the church stands for love and caring when it is needed - what does atheism stand for??? like I said where were the members of the atheist community when the victims needed that help and support???

yes it's true that the church and a lot in the church is bad - but what's actually worse is militant atheism like this OP...

• Advertisement

Usually I'm not up this late.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭smokiebeverage

I got out of bed to post this because I have never heard such S*** in my whole life. I like many people here only go to church for weddings and funerals so I would in no way call myself religious.

Firstly all christian faiths have some form of last rites, and in times of war or disasters it is really common for a minister of any faith to give them. Even now US chaplains carry the catholic rite with them if they need to use it. There were even cases of rabbis giving rites during the Vietnam war. Even as an atheist why would you care if you were given last rites, its not like its going to hurt you or anything. More importantly just because you are an atheist does not mean your family and friends are, and it may bring comfort to them. Its an old saying 'you don't find many atheists in a foxhole' and you can be damn sure you don't find many in a plane crash either.

As for what the priest said afterwords, the next time you have to speak after witnessing what he had to see, lets see how good an orator you are.

As for having a go at the man for being there, thats ridiculous, clergymen and women are always called to large accidents. In a country with a majority of Catholics, its most likely it will be a catholic priest. In other countries it may be a some other denomination. But I know if it was me in that crash I'd like to know I wasn't dying alone and somebody was there with me, even if it was an atheist, it wouldn't matter because the comfort is in the human piece not the words. Most priests know this and thats why they do it, if your ever in a hospice do you think any clergy man is going to ask what faith you are? Of course not, if you want to talk he'll be there. Many people in this country would die alone without them.

Right I'm off to bed again!

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    I didn't see the leaders of Atheist Ireland trying to console the victims families.

That would not be a rational thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

strobe wrote: »
    The OP is not anything. But a troll. This is the forth forum this has been in that I know of.

Not a troll at all, these were my actual reactions listening to these two guys. And this is the first time I've posted about this, so if anyone else has opened threads on it it may suggest I wasn't the only one to have these opinions.

There is a lot of talk about 'church-bashing' here, a phrase you hear a lot, usually by people who have no answer to an argument but simply want to close the debate down.

My point is that religion is a succubus, it feeds on all kinds of situations, but especially tragic situations like this, and uses them for its own purposes. The motivations of the two individual clerics were, no doubt, complex, they obviously thought that they were helping in a way, but the point goes deeper than that. They were acting from their training and formation, which is that death is their patch, tragedy is an area where the church has to be involved in, and occasions like these must be made as much as possible into Catholic occasions. There is an element of the vulture about this, seeing the death and injury of these people as as an occasion where religion has to be involved, and has to visible.

The individual men may have had some good motives, but they were acting as part of a belief system that is not famed for its humility or tolerance. There is an element of marking of territory about the fact that these priests turn up at any sign of death or illness. It has been going on for so long in this country that people don’t even question it anymore, the sense of entitlement of the church, the desire to make situations like this about them as much as possible.

Also to add, I didn’t mention in the OP about what that priest said at the end of the interview, as I couldn’t quite believe I had heard right, I couldn’t believe that he had really uttered such an unbelievably deluded, moronic, insensitive thing. But apparently he did…

“And what I was thinking this morning was that it’s an awful day for relatives – we don’t want it to happen, none of us want it to happen – but God willing, for those who are gone, God willing, it is a wonderful day for them”

A wonderful day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I think it disingenuous to say "crawling out of the woodwork" that suggests they are doing it simply for themselves, or with selfish motives, or seek in some way to capitalize or profit on death.
    I thought the OP was referring to the Bishop of Cork in particular. I can see how a priest can give some comfort to the bereaved where appropriate, and yes, we know that clergy can be good people too. For the Bishop to fly in and meet the press, however - yes, I would call that self-serving.

You know what really annoyed me? Newspaper headlines calling it a "miracle" that some survived the crash. Um ... how much of a "miracle" was it for those who did not survive? Talk abut cherry-picking ... :mad:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

wordcount wrote: »
    That would not be a rational thing to do.
    I don't think it has anything to rationality. It is simply that atheism does not do worthless platitudes. What should we say " ah well, at least he's dead now" perhaps "well be is in a better place now. And by better place I mean the ground." I find it very difficult to be around friends that are religious or even nominally religious. I won't give the worthless platitudes, so I am really only left with the old sorry for your loss.

I don't believe in god no don't believe in heaven or hell. I Believe d that when you die that is pretty much it. I would expect that the people in AI believe something similar kind of hard to compete with an organisation that, in between protecting and enabling child rapists, spend years teaching their employees how to spout platitudes as if their afterlife depended on it.*

MrP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Well if you end up in paradise etc it would be wonderful would it not? Hypothetically speaking of course.

Il bash the church and priests over many things, but the conduct of priests around death and dying is exemplary, certainly in my experience.
    the church have found themselves in an odd position where they have to portray people dying as a wonderful thing, yet forbid suicide. i could understand the priest portraying the deceased going to heaven as a consolation, but his choice of words was unfortunate.
    people have talked about the church being good at consoling in times like this. the priest dropped the ball this time.

MrPudding wrote: »
    It is simply that atheism does not do worthless platitudes.
    MrP

One mans worthless platitude makes perfect sense to another. See above for an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭eblistic

The fact that the church thrives on vulnerability in this way, whether deliberately or without giving it much thought, is disgraceful. That said, it was the furthest thing from my mind watching that bulletin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Can't say I have the same reaction as the OP here. I think the priest had good intentions, and if statistics are anything to go by, the families probably found his words more 'mildly comforting' than 'completely abhorrent'. I think it's a bit cynical to see selfish intent here. Priests do lots of admirable things for which they deserve recognition, and this is an example of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭ironingbored

...why can't ye have a bit of respect for the dead and for all those that are trying to help the victims and their families...

Did the priest pull someone out of the wreckage? This would be "helping". Or did he interfere with dead/injured at the scene of an accident?

could to try to help the victims??? true you mightn't believe in their prayers but at they do and they think their doing the right thing and being there in itself is showing support....

I do not want a priest near me with anointing oil, prayers or the like in the same situation. The default position should be wait until you know that the person is a Catholic and then perform the ritual.

If there is a god I WANT him/her/it to know that I wish not to be part of his club :D
    what does atheism stand for???

Dictionary
    >
    yes it's true that the church and a lot in the church is bad - but what's actually worse is militant atheism like this OP...

:rolleyes:

Yeah, how can you compare raping children and covering it up with strongly held opinions about secularism.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

The priest may have had good intentions, but, were I a person in that situation, I believe, with my last dying breath, I'd tell him to fuk off with his last rite platitudes.
    I think it highly presumptuous of anyone to just assume I would want them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Given that the plane was coming from Belfast, I'd have thought it probable that at least one or two of the dead would not have been members of the catholic religion. If that was the case, then the priest could have caused all kinds of theological woe by carrying out the wrong religious ritual.

Overall, nobody came out well in this. The dead remain dead; the priest did what his religion required, but it's presumptuous in the extreme and his subsequent comments will win him few friends; the OP made a fair point concerning the bishop, but in situations like this, there are few people who feel then can speak for the community, except for the politicians, and absolutely nobody wants to hear from them just now.

If the various churches want to assume the right to do perform random religious rituals upon the random dead and injured, then something like an organ donor card seems reasonable, or perhaps just a quick note on an actual organ donor card, with the default position being no religious rites. But it'll be a long time before that happens. Presumption being the base of much of religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

I didn't see the leaders of Atheist Ireland trying to console the victims families in any way so why can't ye have a bit of respect for the dead and for all those that are trying to help the victims and their families...
    I assume that you didn't intend this, but your phrasing implies that atheists are somehow less likely to console the victims of tragedies or their families. This is untrue.

What we are less likely to do is assume that we can walk onto the scenes of major tragedies, simply by virtue of our atheism, and recite incantations over dead bodies.

And, if for some reason we did want to do that, the authorities would (rightly) not let us near the scene of the accident unless we had some function as part of the emergency response plan, and the media would (rightly) see no reason to interview us about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to a dying catholic, a catholic priest might be good for some consolation and reassurance.
    to a dying atheist, another atheist might be good for a chat about oblivion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

This thread is the biggest piece of **** I have read in a long time people are dead in terrible circumstances and the op goes on about the catholic church trying to console people ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

Imagine if the first religious responder was a Scientologist giving you scientologist last rites with his portable e-meter...........

Oh , but thats different..... :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

This thread is the biggest piece of **** I have read in a long time
    Why don't you try reading some of the points raised and contributing something that everybody else might find thought-provoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

i understand that the topic is a thorny issue but i do think it warrants a discussion as i agree with Beruthiel that if i was dying in a plane crash or had terminal cancer i'd tell the priest to f**k off with my last dying breath!

although there was one other thing that really irked me about the crash and i don't care if i get flamed for expressing my opinion on this, one of the survivors was quoted as saying thank god it was a miracle that 6 of us survived.

Seriously do you really have to say thank god, when 6 poor people died in that crash as well, there were people with families and children that would be grieving and their lives turned upside down as a result of those deaths. It's just as well that there were no young children on the plane at all. It just strikes me as so arrogant and inconsiderate that someone would thank god even though 6 people died in that crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Calibos wrote: »
    Imagine if the first religious responder was a Scientologist giving you scientologist last rites with his portable e-meter...........

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

people are dead in terrible circumstances and the op goes on about the catholic church trying to console people ffs

Mmm, yeah, very consoling....
    “And what I was thinking this morning was that it’s an awful day for relatives – we don’t want it to happen, none of us want it to happen – but God willing, for those who are gone, God willing, it is a wonderful day for them”
    Fr Mick Murphy, who anointed the victims of the Cork Airport crash

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Humans eh!

Fr Mick Murphy, who anointed the victims of the Cork Airport crash

By that logic Sept 11 2001 was a fantastic day for the hijackers. :(
    Unfortunate turn of phrase for the priest though, but thats what he believes as a Catholic, Its probably happened at thousands of accidents happened upon by priests but the media ran with this one.
    Interesting point whether the Gardai, or emergency services would allow any other representative of religious cults to have access to the dead or dying at the scene.
    "Let me through, I'm a Rastafarian!"

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rational

Calibos wrote: »

Its a debate for another day but to equate scientology to any of the worlds major religions is just not rational.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rational

Beruthiel wrote: »
    I'd tell him to fuk off with his last rite platitudes.

The last sting of a dying wasp so to speak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Threads like these really make me despise Athiesim.

It is interesting that the OP accuses the priest of using the tragic crash for his own gains when it is clear that that is exactly what the OP him/herself is doing.

OP I have to ask, as others have done, whether you would have such a problem with say an Imam or Rabbi or Buddhist monk consoling the bereaved and praying for the dead?

No of course you wouldn't would you?

All the man was doing was offering solidarity and comfort in a time of sadness and suffering. His wordering could have been better maybe but I don't honestly think he meant anything other than that the souls of the dead are now, he believes, in paradise/heaven.

OP get down off your pedestal and try to accept that priests are capable of being thoughtful, selfless people who do actually do things to help others and not for their own gain.

Advertisement